Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

link

per Rotoworld:

Bills signed OT Jamon Meredith from the Packers practice squad.

Meredith was a fifth-round pick out of South Carolina this past April. He was expected to be Chad Clifton's eventual replacement. Now he'll provide insurance for the Bills, who lost right tackle Brad Butler for the season.

Figures they wouldn't spend big money.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamon Meredith, OL, South Carolina

If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Gamecock. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement. He redshirted as a freshman after playing in one game, and coming into 2008 he had started 28 consecutive games; 29 in total dating back to his freshman season. Meredith started 18 straight at left tackle protecting his quarterback's blind side, but recently he has been forced to show his versatility. He had to sit out two games at the start of this season due to having played during his 2005 redshirt year, and coach Steve Spurrier moved him to guard upon his return. In addition to his football skills (which include running under 5.0 in the 40-yard-dash despite his size), Meredith is outstanding in the classroom and will bring no off-the-field concerns with him into the next level. Right now he looks like a second-rounder in the 2009 draft. Meredith has the frame to get even bigger and he needs to show he can truly dominate a game up front before NFL brass will be convinced to go for him in round one.

sounds like a good move to me

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

No other team has seen anyone worth what they are asking for on scrap heap either. If Bills do not pay as much as some want, some criticize; if Bills do pay for what some want, some criticize, sometimes same people.

As Marv said "When you start listening to fans you start sitting with them".

Bills' staff saw him play in person during preseason and had him rated by scouts when looking at draft which is probably why they decided to sign him. If he does not work out they can release him and sign him to practice squad if he passes waivers.

He is reported as athletic with a good head on his shoulders. Second best time for offensive linemen in scouting combine. He's played every position on the line, so he's versatile. He played for Steve Spurrier (remember the high priced coach some here praised $nyder for signing?) which indicates he will be more likely to pick up NFL game quicker. Some in Carolina said he needed stronger OL coaching and Sean Kugler will provide that to him.

Green Bay has big time problems on their O Line. Their Right Tackle was just destroyed in week one, not sure how he did last week. Can't be a good sign that Green Bay didn't think he was an upgrade over the Berbee(sp) turnstile.

Bingo.

Actually wanted the Bills to draft this guy - now they have. Good pickup. Will definitely piss off the Packers, but them's the breaks.

EDIT:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamon-meredith?id=71397

Overview

Athletic enough to serve as the starting left tackle for a Steve Spurrier offense, NFL scouts are scouting Meredith closely, especially when you factor in his wacky senior season. Suspended by the NCAA for the first two games of the 2008 season -- Meredith was granted a medical redshirt for the 2004 season despite playing against Vanderbilt -- Meredith came back to find that sophomore Jarriel King had emerged as his replacement at left tackle, moving Meredith inside to left guard. Meredith started eight games while fighting an ankle injury, but scouts like the way he took to the new position. Athletic and experienced at every position along the offensive line (except center), Meredith has the tools worthy of development and could compete for NFL playing time as a versatile swingman. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 inches at the combine.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lets be real here, Runyan wasn't going to be a fit in the no huddle (Mid 30's and coming off of an injury) and Walker a guy we cut wasn't going to be a fit either I think we knew that when we cut him. So they went and picked up a 5th round pick off of a teams practice squad. The guy is young with upside and is not going to start he is just a back up. The opposite of cheap isn't spending money for no reason.

link

per Rotoworld:

Bills signed OT Jamon Meredith from the Packers practice squad.

Meredith was a fifth-round pick out of South Carolina this past April. He was expected to be Chad Clifton's eventual replacement. Now he'll provide insurance for the Bills, who lost right tackle Brad Butler for the season.

Figures they wouldn't spend big money.

Who would you have like them to spend big money on? Runyan or Jones, 2 guys not healthy enough to play?

I never mentioned anything other than figures they wouldn't spend money on someone as insurance. I'm not saying its a terrible move, but I think there is a point when the Bills need to add veteran experience. Perhaps Runyan doesn't want to play on the Bills or split time with someone like Jonathon Scott. But, if that is not the case, and Runyan will just cost more money, I have no problem with the Bills taking a chance on him. Though, I understand, if someone of his caliber hasn't been signed yet, it probably means there is concern over his ability to produce.

I'm just saying, Scott/Meredith does not make me as confident as a veteran would.

And whoever said a veteran cannot run the no huddle, the Bills no huddle does not run at a pace that requires lineman to be sprinting up the field. And if that is the case, you can just switch out the exhausted guy for a fresh lineman. I can understand if you don't want to add an old stiff like Jones/Runyan/Walker to a line full of exceptionally athletic young guys. That makes sense to me. I just wish there was some veteran experience on there.