Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

Green Bay has big time problems on their O Line. Their Right Tackle was just destroyed in week one, not sure how he did last week. Can't be a good sign that Green Bay didn't think he was an upgrade over the Berbee(sp) turnstile.

Also Chad Clifton, Green Bay's starting OT just went down this Sunday with an ankle injury. He is expected to miss an extended period of time. Can't think too much of Meredith if they let him go with all the problems they are having.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHO?

figures they take the cheap route again?

figures that bitches are bitching. This kid has upside. Runyon has been in decline for years. I mean seriously- what do you know about this kid? What is your opinion based on? Do you think you have a better idea from your computer chair then the Bills scouts do? :thumbsup:

Meredith was generally regarded as a player whose stock was rising heading into the 2009 draft, to the point where he was regarded as a possible 2nd-round pick. Could be that the pack was just trying to "hide" him on the PS until they needed him, which would be right about... whoops, too late. :thumbsup:

Jamon Meredith, OL, South Carolina

If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Gamecock. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement. He redshirted as a freshman after playing in one game, and coming into 2008 he had started 28 consecutive games; 29 in total dating back to his freshman season. Meredith started 18 straight at left tackle protecting his quarterback's blind side, but recently he has been forced to show his versatility. He had to sit out two games at the start of this season due to having played during his 2005 redshirt year, and coach Steve Spurrier moved him to guard upon his return. In addition to his football skills (which include running under 5.0 in the 40-yard-dash despite his size), Meredith is outstanding in the classroom and will bring no off-the-field concerns with him into the next level. Right now he looks like a second-rounder in the 2009 draft. Meredith has the frame to get even bigger and he needs to show he can truly dominate a game up front before NFL brass will be convinced to go for him in round one.

sounds like a good move to me

+1

No other team has seen anyone worth what they are asking for on scrap heap either. If Bills do not pay as much as some want, some criticize; if Bills do pay for what some want, some criticize, sometimes same people.

As Marv said "When you start listening to fans you start sitting with them".

Bills staff saw him play in person during preseason and had him rated by scouts when looking at draft which why they decided to sign him. If he does not work out they can release him and sign him to practice squad if he passed waivers.

Shhhhh! Facts have no business here.

can't be, he's not a washed up, injured, vet that everyone's heard of and we'd pay a ton of money to just to cut him next year.

:thumbsup::blush:

there HAS to be at least one immobile, overweight, past-his-prime OT out there that I have heard of that we can overpay!!

:lol::blush:

Well the Eagles have problems on their O-line, and they passed on Runyan. And Jones. And Walker hasn't had a visit with any team yet.

Shhh! Quiet about facts.

It sounds like this guy is ready to come in and play from the scouting report above. They may also believe Scott is good enough to start and that with a little grooming this guy will be a very good RT.

If the Bills had spent a draft pick on him and put him on their practice squad a lot of people would be bitching about he's better than this guy or that guy why wasn't he on the 53 man roster. This way they got him completely free.

This is a kid who couldn't make the active roster on a team that couldn't keep the Bengals from beating the sh%t out of their quarterback-Fag B word.

And Steve Tasker couldn't make the cut for the 85 Oilers. He got beat out by Herkie Wells, Tim Smith, William Drewery, Steve Bryant and Drew Hill. What is your point? :thumbsup:

They dont have a choice...we signed him to our active roster he is officially ours

Actually he (Meredith) had the choice. He could have chosen to not sign Bills' offer and remained on Green Bay's PS or spoken to Green Bay's front office to see if they were interested in signing him to active squad. I do not know if Meredith's agent asked Green Bay's front office but if he was doing his job and Meredith thought he had a chance for playing time and Packers' blocking scheme fitted him he could have chosen not to go to Buffalo. Of course he may have wanted to get out of cold of Green Bay. :thumbsup:

ran a sub 5.0 40 at 304 pounds. benched 31 times. Fast and strong. was rated 8th among tackles in the draft by nfldraftscout. Might also be able to play guard.

I wouldn't read too much into him being on the Pack's PS as a rookie. Their starter was injured during the game and they probably went with a guy with more experience as the backup. Also most of the sacks they gave up were coverage sacks where Rodgers should've gotten rid of the ball long before taking the sack.

Also, we had Bell on our PS last year and he seems to be pretty good.

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

I was one of the biggest skeptics of the line coming together. So far so good. We need fast agile guys. I don't know if the automatic answer is youth. So far so good. Apparently they are making some risky moves but so far good calls.

So an inexperienced line needing veteran depth after the loss of a veteran becomes even more experienced. Gee, that's just brilliant.

An effing practice squad player to replace Butler. Yay!

BTW - I don't think it is being cheap, just stupid.

link

per Rotoworld:

Bills signed OT Jamon Meredith from the Packers practice squad.

Meredith was a fifth-round pick out of South Carolina this past April. He was expected to be Chad Clifton's eventual replacement. Now he'll provide insurance for the Bills, who lost right tackle Brad Butler for the season.

Figures they wouldn't spend big money.