Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

that's exactly my question. Can any team sign any player from their practice squad? does it need to be agreed to? how does it work?

google is your friend...this is what I found:

any team may claim a team's PS player on waivers at any given time during the season -- the only stipulation to this is that the team signing the PS player must immediately add that player to its 53-man roster.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this has kinda sorta been answered through a few posts here. but as far as i can tell...

Any team can go to any Practice Squad and make a guy an offer, but that player must be put directly on the active 53 man roster.

The original team can keep him but they have to move him up to the active roster as well. Meaning, they have to have a spot available for him.

The player can choose to not sign the offer and remain on the original team, as a Practice Squad player.

Thanks!

I never mentioned anything other than figures they wouldn't spend money on someone as insurance. I'm not saying its a terrible move, but I think there is a point when the Bills need to add veteran experience. Perhaps Runyan doesn't want to play on the Bills or split time with someone like Jonathon Scott. But, if that is not the case, and Runyan will just cost more money, I have no problem with the Bills taking a chance on him. Though, I understand, if someone of his caliber hasn't been signed yet, it probably means there is concern over his ability to produce.

I'm just saying, Scott/Meredith does not make me as confident as a veteran would.

And whoever said a veteran cannot run the no huddle, the Bills no huddle does not run at a pace that requires lineman to be sprinting up the field. And if that is the case, you can just switch out the exhausted guy for a fresh lineman. I can understand if you don't want to add an old stiff like Jones/Runyan/Walker to a line full of exceptionally athletic young guys. That makes sense to me. I just wish there was some veteran experience on there.

O lineman make a name for themselves one way or another. I think waht the Bills are doing is finally being smart at the OL instead of dishing millions to players who can perform they can spend thousands trying to find the ones they can pay the millions for and wont regret it. I more apt to go with the youth here because you have young QB/HB/TE and WR this way they can grow and get better together. Plus it opens up the doors to possibilities in the off season.

I like what I read on him as well was projected to be a second rounder. Rather that then the veteran who we say is too old and needs to be cut!

yeah as did alot of others...thats the problem with posting without reading the entire thread first....i deleted mine to get rid of the duplication...thanks to you and all the others that have answered

gotcha by about 30 seconds Pooj. The original team cant really "match", but they can move him to their active roster. Other than that, it's open season on Practice Squads. (again, as far as I know, which isnt a lot)

Jamon Meredith, OL, South Carolina

If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Gamecock. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement. He redshirted as a freshman after playing in one game, and coming into 2008 he had started 28 consecutive games; 29 in total dating back to his freshman season. Meredith started 18 straight at left tackle protecting his quarterback's blind side, but recently he has been forced to show his versatility. He had to sit out two games at the start of this season due to having played during his 2005 redshirt year, and coach Steve Spurrier moved him to guard upon his return. In addition to his football skills (which include running under 5.0 in the 40-yard-dash despite his size), Meredith is outstanding in the classroom and will bring no off-the-field concerns with him into the next level. Right now he looks like a second-rounder in the 2009 draft. Meredith has the frame to get even bigger and he needs to show he can truly dominate a game up front before NFL brass will be convinced to go for him in round one.

sounds like a good move to me

Yeah, but because the posters dont know his name they say its a bad move...

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

Well, they looked pretty good actually over the first 4 games just last year. They scored 34, 20, 24 and 31. They threw for 215, 239 and 279 and Freddie and Lynch combined for over a 100 yards two or three times as well. But I agree, I like this pick up better than an older guy more susceptible to injury. Plus, this guy can move at least which seems to be the direction they want to go in after trying for years to do it with size.

I just found out about this move...I'm very pleased.

He was highly rated coming out of college, and I was very surprised to see him last until the 5th round. Everything I saw had him as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

I'm not saying he'll end up a starter or anything, but I think he was a better college player than most here may believe.

Lets be real here, Runyan wasn't going to be a fit in the no huddle (Mid 30's and coming off of an injury) and Walker a guy we cut wasn't going to be a fit either I think we knew that when we cut him. So they went and picked up a 5th round pick off of a teams practice squad. The guy is young with upside and is not going to start he is just a back up. The opposite of cheap isn't spending money for no reason.

Bingo...we have a winner.

:thumbsup: Very creative - plus it shows your age, not many 20 somethings out here remember Dandy Don! Of course I'm a 50 something, so I remember Dandy Don, Howard and Frank from the very beginning. :lol:

be afraid, be very afraid...things don't generally work out well for those who understand me...

SEC Alumn, Redshirted, started as freshman, runs a sub 5.0 40, will fit the no huddle projected to be second rounder but dropped to five. Intelligent move. A lot of you out there dont wanna say it but how smart does the front office look after two games.(that wasnt a question)

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

You have no idea what Runyon's or Levi Jone's health is like. Walker was too big and too slow for the new scheme - the Bills cut him for a reason. So far the Bills have made the right choices with the line (yes I still think they were stupid to have let the Peters situation go bad but they made lemonade from it and it is time to move on).

Green Bay has big time problems on their O Line. Their Right Tackle was just destroyed in week one, not sure how he did last week. Can't be a good sign that Green Bay didn't think he was an upgrade over the Berbee(sp) turnstile.

You are also talking about the team that let Favre walk, despite the fact that he carried the facking franchise for his entire career there. They also DID NOT make any attempt whatsoever to sign Randy Moss when they had the chance. So really I have no faith in Packers' personnel decisions anyway.

Green Bay fans seem to think this was a good move for Buffalo.

http://www.packerchatters.com/4ums/index.php?showtopic=15544

With the injury to Clifton and this guys presumed potential how do we let him leave?
From Bedard's tweets with others it sounds like it's a done deal, he's gone. That really really sucks

Ya - this is a big head-scratcher. He might not have been, "ready" this season yet, but he looked to have great potential
This season is really starting out with a thunderous dud.