Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

Green Bay fans seem to think this was a good move for Buffalo.

http://www.packerchatters.com/4ums/index.php?showtopic=15544

This was from their board after he was drafted:

Jamon Meredith 6'5" 305 lbs

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 5.03 seconds

Bench Press : 31.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 28.0 inches

Broad Jump : 105.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 8.01 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.82 seconds

This kid is smart as Hell too!

I know it is so cliche, but Jamon may emerge as one of the draft's biggest sleepers in this draft.

We are talking academic All American, 3.75 grade-point ave, '08 Harold White Award for his academic excellence '06 Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award...

For the life of me I have NO IDEA why this kid dropped.

Had to sit out the first two games because of redshirt rules, but started at left guard as soon as he was eligible to return. The season before Jamon started all 12 games at LT and was named his team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman -- with 75 knockdowns, 12 TD-resulting blocks and gave up just 3 sacks on 443 pass plays.

Like I said, I love this pick.

http://www.packerchatters.com/4ums/index.php?showtopic=14454

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs.

4700x17 = $79,900

5200x17 = $88,400

i was pretty close! :thumbsup:

actually, my buddy was a practice squad player for the eagles a couple years ago, thats how i knew the general range.

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs.

Heh. Nice chunk of jingle bouncing around and around in the pocket of a 21-year old.

Let's deflate that figure, NG...how would you and I act at age 21 with $1,000 cash money burning up our pockets? :thumbsup:

They would have to have put him on their active roster

And would have had to do that before the bills signed him. They didn't get an option to block it when we signed him, like a restricted free agent or anything. They probably liked him, but felt that he needed more time to develop before he could help them, hence putting him on practice squad.

We have done that with players before, like when we cut Jason Peters in training camp and put him on the practice squad his rookie year. We also lost a CB the next year to the 49ers that the coaches really liked and wanted to keep, and thought they could hide on practice squad.

If a guy is on an active roster, he's one play from starting.

2 plays at very least. They would most likely put Chambers in first, then him, if chambers also goes down. At least until he learns the line calls, gets comfortable with way they handle line stunts, and shows what he can do.

Not my job to find those people. I figure the FO might be better at it than having some doofus on a message board make suggestions.

Nothing wrong with that stance, but to me it would imply that you should temper your criticism as well.

I can not believe they did not sign an All-Pro RT to come in and start right now. Incredible!! There are so many available.

Yeah, right. That's exactly what people who are questioning the move are saying.

People have got to learn that sarcasm is ONLY FUNNY WHEN I USE IT!

Nothing wrong with that stance, but to me it would imply that you should temper your criticism as well.

I hear what you are saying, however I'm speaking in generalities about experience and replacing a veteran with a veteran on a very young line, not suggesting specific players to pick up.

here's a really good write up on him from CBS sports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/518588

its long but there is a lot of interesting analysis in there.

some highlights - he was considered the smartest play on South Carolina. He's self motivated. He's a good athlete. He's been durable. He has a lot of room for improvement.

That article criticizes his on field nastiness. I don't think members of this line will let him get away with that. Eric Wood especially. JMO

I'm sure the ladies would agree..

So, if he ends up starting some time this year, he'll be the 6th or 7th rookie from this draft class to do so? On a Jauron coached team??

Wow.

The starting O-Line they have now is very good. The OL coaching is great. JMO

Pretty excited over this move....He may not be able to play at a high level right away but I am certainly excited about his long term potential. This guy could very well be our RT of the future with Bell, Hangartner, Levitre, and Wood.

For the first time in a long time I think we could be setting ourselves up for an extended run at being a contender. If Edwards continues to develop and Nelson is what we expect, we could see something special on offense. GO GO BUFFALO!!

Exactly the same way I feel. :thumbsup:

Jamon means "ham" in Spanish. The Bills signed a dude named Ham. Mmmmm...ham.

PTR

According to Yahoo! Bable Fish Jamon means Jamon in spanish.

I have to agree with this. I don't think there were many people more critical of the Bills' off season transactions in regards to the O line than I was. Right now that crow is lodged squarely in my throat. Apparently the Bills coaches and front office had better knowledge of the situation than myself, and thus, the lesson is learned and I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in finding what they believe the best possible replacement. Just what I have read about Jamon Meredith indicates that they in fact know what they are doing.

After watching how effective our line has been thus far, I think none of us should utter even the slightest doubt about their personnel decisions at this time.

<_< I can't stand posters who have common sense.

Just a hunch, I bet the Bills were eying him at 157 but couldn't believe that Nelson fell to them and had to snatch him up. I agree - if the Bills had drafted Meredith, the Board would be talking about how it was good foresight in light of Butler's injury. People are strange here.

Ya Think!?

Excellent signing. If anything, young talent we can work into a strong and more seaosned bunch next year. I like it.

If they can develop him into a starter then the Bills will have a very young, very good O-Line for years to come. It's my opinion that he's been brought in as a backup only for this year. Since he can play guard or tackle that makes him very valuable.

It seems that Scott has the upper hand on the RT job for now and the rest of the season. Next years camp will be a free for all at the RT position. If they don't like Scott or Meredith they'll probably draft a guy.

Wow, I'm impressed that all you naysayers have so much time to scout every available O-Lineman in the league in order to formulate insightful analysis of this signing. It's like you sit in on every coaches and scouts meeting to evaluate exactly which OL will fit the team best, except, of course, you are the dissenting vote and these "idiots" simply won't listen to you. Fascinating.

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

Same here.