Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

guys, the Packers could NOT STOP us from signing him. its not that the necessarily didnt want him.

I believe they are saying had the pack thought anything of him THEY would have signed/promoted him to the active 53 before we had a chance to sign him ourselves...both sides are making valid points....green bays oline is banged up and just kod rodgers beat up pretty good so they are in need of some help themselves. So they cant think much of him..But valid points are being made that Runyan jones and walker are getting NO looks and probably arent built for this system. I think the olines success is due to the fact these guys arent monsters like last years lines. Walker and runyan are old big guys who arent going to get out in front like the lineman we have no are AND would cost some $

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually wanted the Bills to draft this guy - now they have. Good pickup. Will definitely piss off the Packers, but them's the breaks.

EDIT:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamon-meredith?id=71397

Overview

Athletic enough to serve as the starting left tackle for a Steve Spurrier offense, NFL scouts are scouting Meredith closely, especially when you factor in his wacky senior season. Suspended by the NCAA for the first two games of the 2008 season -- Meredith was granted a medical redshirt for the 2004 season despite playing against Vanderbilt -- Meredith came back to find that sophomore Jarriel King had emerged as his replacement at left tackle, moving Meredith inside to left guard. Meredith started eight games while fighting an ankle injury, but scouts like the way he took to the new position. Athletic and experienced at every position along the offensive line (except center), Meredith has the tools worthy of development and could compete for NFL playing time as a versatile swingman. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 inches at the combine.

negatives outweigh the positives IMO

I figured we'd go with an athlete first and foremost. A guy that has the potential to play either tackle position and get out on running plays.

Meredith played left and right at South Carolina, so he's a valuable swing-man at tackle. You can never have too many swinging Cocks on the OL.

He's 6'5" and 304#, ran a 5.03, did 31 reps, and showed well in most of the athletic drills. They say he needs to add weight and improve his technique.

Which means he's probably not ready to start, and has nothing in terms of game experience in the NFL.

I'm not saying they should have signed Runyon, but maybe experience should have played a factor.

Which means he's probably not ready to start, and has nothing in terms of game experience in the NFL.

I'm not saying they should have signed Runyon, but maybe experience should have played a factor.

Bruce has experience at DE and the Bills could use a top-flight pass-rusher. There comes a point where experience doesn't mean much if you're too old, too injured, or just don't fit the system.

here's a really good write up on him from CBS sports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/518588

its long but there is a lot of interesting analysis in there.

some highlights - he was considered the smartest play on South Carolina. He's self motivated. He's a good athlete. He's been durable. He has a lot of room for improvement.

Actually wanted the Bills to draft this guy - now they have. Good pickup. Will definitely piss off the Packers, but them's the breaks.

EDIT:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamon-meredith?id=71397

Overview

Athletic enough to serve as the starting left tackle for a Steve Spurrier offense, NFL scouts are scouting Meredith closely, especially when you factor in his wacky senior season. Suspended by the NCAA for the first two games of the 2008 season -- Meredith was granted a medical redshirt for the 2004 season despite playing against Vanderbilt -- Meredith came back to find that sophomore Jarriel King had emerged as his replacement at left tackle, moving Meredith inside to left guard. Meredith started eight games while fighting an ankle injury, but scouts like the way he took to the new position. Athletic and experienced at every position along the offensive line (except center), Meredith has the tools worthy of development and could compete for NFL playing time as a versatile swingman. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 inches at the combine.

I pay very close attention to the draft and he too was someone I was hoping to see drafted by Buffalo. I'm actually pretty happy with this signing. Sounds like an athletic dude, which is exactly what we need.

Good pick up imo. Some stuff on him from draftcountdown, but they don't have his report from last year.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/reviews/Team...Bay-Packers.php

Later in round five the Packers were very fortunate to find South Carolina OT Jamon Meredith still on the board. A great athlete who is very quick and light on his feet, Meredith has experience at both tackle and guard and could play either position in the pros. On talent alone many felt Meredith was a second round value but concerns about his toughness and lack of a killer instinct led to his Draft Day freefall.

Of course the have a choice. They could have signed him to their active roster with all the issues/injuries they have been experiencing.

I believe that they can't do that after we claimed him. They could have done it before that, but after we claimed him, they had no choice.

link

per Rotoworld:

Bills signed OT Jamon Meredith from the Packers practice squad.

Meredith was a fifth-round pick out of South Carolina this past April. He was expected to be Chad Clifton's eventual replacement. Now he'll provide insurance for the Bills, who lost right tackle Brad Butler for the season.

Figures they wouldn't spend big money.

While I understand what you mean by not spending big money, this isn't a good time to bring that up. This offensive line of ours right now has been the best O-line we've had in maybe 8 years. This line has already outplayed the Peters, Doc, and Walker line, hands down.

So, with the production of Bell, Wood, Hanty, Levitre, and Butler, why do think they feel they need a high priced 35 year old? I have to admit, I thought the line play would be disaster, and they still might have their moments, but it hasn't happened yet. These young guys have been remarkable so far considering their experience level. And then, enter Jonathan Scott to boot, and they Bills look like they finally have the makings of a decent O-line for the first time in a while.

This new guy is a continuation of that. Young, athletic, and hungry. Let's hope it keeps working.

I believe that they can't do that after we claimed him. They could have done it before that, but after we claimed him, they had no choice.

Incorrect as I posted earlier. A player can choose whether to sign an offer or not which means he could have spoke to Green Bay first.