Vick reinstated on conditional basis

Boo hoo. Vick signed a $130 million contract but got his jollies by torturing dogs. Race goes out the window; a moron is a moron is a moron.

Yes, he was very very stupid. When you are making that kind of money.....don't break the law. Although I am certain he did not feel it was such a serious legal and moral infraction as it turned out to be.

If I was an NFL team I would also put in the contract of each high dollar player that they are REQUIRED to hire a driver at 40k per annum. It is incredible that each year these guys get busted for DUI.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When stated as fact, no opinion is proper:

That's not an opinion. The only reason I told him to keep his "opinion" to himself is because he stated it as if it were a known fact that Vick hasn't changed. I'm all for opinions, I just expect some intelligent discussion when I refute them and not a semantics battle.

And I just don't share the same sentiment. "People don't change" is such a widely accepted philosophy these days. But in my opinion it's a miserable fool's way to look at life.

There is no semantics battle here, just a member of the moderating staff pointing out that it's not your job to decide which opinions are acceptable to post here. (And unless someone crosses a line and violates the TOS, not our job, either.)

OK, maybe not an exact quote, but Florence was quoted this morning on WGR (via his Twitter account) stating that he wants Vick to become a Bill. Florence also asked the fans to show up at practice today with signs campaigning for the Bills to sign Vick.

Put aside for a second the fact that Vick is a total fcking scumbag, who I'm certain is a recidivist who will land his thug a$$ in jail again, isn't that a bit of a slap in the face of the starting QB on the roster?

edit: This thread is meant to discuss players openly campaigning for a new QB, not specifically about Vick. The same could be said if we were talking about Favre.

Vick is pretty bad for what he did to those dogs. Every time you pet your dog, remember, this guy killed him or her for sport. I don't want him near my football team because of that. There's another bigger reason why I don't want him near my team. He's an awful quarterback. That second reason should end all other discussion. He's a bad person but a worse QB. One knee injury away from being a crappy E! True Hollywood Story... Next.

And to your original point, if I were the owner, I'd fine players in accordance to the NFLPA's policy for "conduct detrimental to the team" for mentioning Vick in any way shape or form. You've gotta question a guy who would want that guy as a teammate. If I were a fan going to training camp today, I wouldn't be bringing vick signs, I'd be wondering who the fvck Drayton Florence was.

Vick is pretty bad for what he did to those dogs. Every time you pet your dog, remember, this guy killed him or her for sport. I don't want him near my football team because of that. There's another bigger reason why I don't want him near my team. He's an awful quarterback. That second reason should end all other discussion. He's a bad person but a worse QB. One knee injury away from being a crappy E! True Hollywood Story... Next.

And don't forget they kidnap people's pets to use as training bait for their dogs. And this went on for years. Nice guy...

And to your original point, if I were the owner, I'd fine players in accordance to the NFLPA's policy for "conduct detrimental to the team" for mentioning Vick in any way shape or form. You've gotta question a guy who would want that guy as a teammate. If I were a fan going to training camp today, I wouldn't be bringing vick signs, I'd be wondering who the fvck Drayton Florence was.

Back on topic - I don't know that a fine would be in order, I would just like to think guys have enough common sense not to express their desire to bring in someone to fill an already filled position. To go as far as to suggest people brings signs makes me wonder how bright Florence really is.

OK, maybe not an exact quote, but Florence was quoted this morning on WGR (via his Twitter account) stating that he wants Vick to become a Bill. Florence also asked the fans to show up at practice today with signs campaigning for the Bills to sign Vick.

Dear Drayton,

Shut your !@#$ing mouth and play football.

Thanks a bunch,

gringo starr

p.s. Mike Vick is a piece of $#!+ and twitter is gay.

+1

I do not know every detail what Vick did with this poor animals. But i hate this motherf****r for that.

He is one one the dumpest and stupidest guys in the world: He risked (and lost) almost hundred million dollars to watch and organize dogfights..... he is a candidate for the Darwin-Award (for the greatest Idiots in the world)

And don't forget they kidnap people's pets to use as training bait for their dogs.

They also create their own "rescue" groups. They take in the dogs (from shelters, owner abandonment, etc) and immediately start training them to fight. They advertise as a rescue, but it is just a front.

After some wikipedia research, it turns out the Drayton Florence actually played in the NFL before. He was the moron with the chargers a few years ago that got a personal foul on a punt after they had stopped new england. Got fined for blowing up a QB too. He's not going to be playing on Jeopardy any time soon, from how that article was read! Someone should bring a rape stand to practice today and give it to Drayton during the autograph session!

I'm really heated on the Vick thing lately. Something funny happened between the time that all of the Vick stuff went down a few years ago and now. I got a dog. My beagle, Bailey, is truly my best friend, and right now, besides bringing OJ back as official team ambassador, signing Vick would make me turn away from football all together till he was gone. He should go to the dolphins so we can beat him down 2 games this season.

Roger Goodell had the opportunity to become the "Judge Landis" of NFL commissioners this past week. He had the opportuntity to "just say no" to criminals playing football in the NFL. By telling Vick that because he served time in prison, he will be banned from the NFL for life, he could have sent a landmark message to all future ignorant spoiled criminals who just happend to be elite athletes, that the NFL will not tolerate them.

But he caved into the popular liberal opinion that Vick had "paid his debts to society" and deserved another chance to make a living in the NFL. My question to Goodell is, now that Vick has been reinstated, what message are you sending? Donte Stallworth only spent 24 days behind bars, so obviously you must allow him and his manslaughter conviction back into the NFL. And of course Plaxico Burress only shot himself with his illegal handgun, so after he gets out of the big house in a year or two, you will be forced to throw him a welcome back party too. In fact, there is really no crime that you can say will ban an NFL player from every playing again in the NFL, as long as he still has some career left in him after his jail sentence is up, right??

Here's another question for our big hearted commissioner. Who is he to give Marshawn Lynch a three game suspension, when a convicted criminal who served almost 2 years in jail only received a 6 game suspension? If I were Marshawn Lynches lawyers, I would sue the commissioner and the NFL right now. And those 4 game suspensions for failing those drug tests a second time? You have got to be kdding right commissioner? Why should any NFL player be suspended at all for smoking a little pot or taking some steioids, when the convicted felons who serve time in jail are allowed to play again in the NFL after just 6 game suspensions??

No "penalties" handed down by Roger Goodell make any logical sense to me any longer, after this insane Vick decision. To me, Roger Goodell and the NFL are saying it does not matter what you do off the field anymore, as long as you still have talent and we can earn money from that talent, just serve your time in prison and come back to us as soon as you can. The players union should have a real picnic with Goodell the very next time he tries to suspend a player for anything they do that is less serious then prison! :wallbash:

Roger Goodell had the opportunity to become the "Judge Landis" of NFL commissioners this past week. He had the opportuntity to "just say no" to criminals playing football in the NFL. By telling Vick that because he served time in prison, he will be banned from the NFL for life, he could have sent a landmark message to all future ignorant spoiled criminals who just happend to be elite athletes, that the NFL will not tolerate them.

But he caved into the popular liberal opinion that Vick had "paid his debts to society" and deserved another chance to make a living in the NFL. My question to Goodell is, now that Vick has been reinstated, what message are you sending? Donte Stallworth only spent 24 days behind bars, so obviously you must allow him and his manslaughter conviction back into the NFL. And of course Plaxico Burress only shot himself with his illegal handgun, so after he gets out of the big house in a year or two, you will be forced to throw him a welcome back party too. In fact, there is really no crime that you can say will ban an NFL player from every playing again in the NFL, as long as he still has some career left in him after his jail sentence is up, right??

Here's another question for our big hearted commissioner. Who is he to give Marshawn Lynch a three game suspension, when a convicted criminal who served almost 2 years in jail only received a 6 game suspension? If I were Marshawn Lynches lawyers, I would sue the commissioner and the NFL right now. And those 4 game suspensions for failing those drug tests a second time? You have got to be kdding right commissioner? Why should any NFL player be suspended at all for smoking a little pot or taking some steioids, when the convicted felons who serve time in jail are allowed to play again in the NFL after just 6 game suspensions??

No "penalties" handed down by Roger Goodell make any logical sense to me any longer, after this insane Vick decision. To me, Roger Goodell and the NFL are saying it does not matter what you do off the field anymore, as long as you still have talent and we can earn money from that talent, just serve your time in prison and come back to us as soon as you can. The players union should have a real picnic with Goodell the very next time he tries to suspend a player for anything they do that is less serious then prison! :wallbash:

Ray Lewis murdering someone was the one that basically said no crime was too much.

Vick would have and could have sued Goodell (and won handily) if he was given a lifetime ban.

Get over yourself

As much as I despise Vick, he did pay his debt to society for what he did. He's out of jail, a free man. As much as I hate it, I say let him play. Just not for my team.

The other factor here is public opinion. What team in their right mind would sign the guy? Can you even begin to imagine the backlash?

As for Lynch, I'd be pleased if it was appealed down to a 1 game suspension.

There are a lot of Vick lovers on this board. It is nice to finally read some rational thoughts. I can't believe people defend him after what he did to those dogs. I can almost forgive the dog fighting but the torture and killing shows there is something mentally wrong with him. I don't think he feels he did anything wrong. I am a bit biased as I have had dogs in my family my whole life and my sister does dog rescues.

As much as I despise Vick, he did pay his debt to society for what he did. He's out of jail, a free man. As much as I hate it, I say let him play. Just not for my team.

The other factor here is public opinion. What team in their right mind would sign the guy? Can you even begin to imagine the backlash?

As for Lynch, I'd be pleased if it was appealed down to a 1 game suspension.

I have the feeling that the first bold is what the public will come around to sooner rather than later.

I have the feeling that the first bold is what the public will come around to sooner rather than later.

Well PETA is a terrorist organization... tax exempt too, but that's for PPP... If some pro life guy is stupid enough to snipe someone... well, you know the rest...

Whatever team Vick goes to, he won't sniff a starting QB role. Everyone knows that, including Florence. This has nothing to do with Trent, it is about adding another playmaker, not QB.

What role would he play? I don't see him lining up as a WR or RB. If he weren't the starter he would only see the field on gadget plays. I'm sure some team will give him the chance to compete for the starting QB job.

It just had damn well not be Buffalo.

What role would he play? I don't see him lining up as a WR or RB. If he weren't the starter he would only see the field on gadget plays. I'm sure some team will give him the chance to compete for the starting QB job.

It just had damn well not be Buffalo.

That's exactly what he'd do. He'll come in for a few plays a game and run the wildcat. A creative team would line him up in different positions all over the field and utilize his talent. He's not going to come in, 2 years out of the league, and be a standard drop back QB. It's just not going to happen.

Ray Lewis murdering someone was the one that basically said no crime was too much.

Vick would have and could have sued Goodell (and won handily) if he was given a lifetime ban.

Get over yourself

That's a good point in all this. If push came to shove Vick could sue the NFL and he would win in court. The NFL has been challenged many times and lost. The commish is powerful but he's not above the constitutional right Vick has to pursue employment. The NFL would lose handily.

The whole 6 game thing is arbitrary. It's all about PR and not having Vick to distract from the opening of the season. I'm guessing Goodell will lesson the number of games in the suspension as well.

GO BILLS!!!

That's exactly what he'd do. He'll come in for a few plays a game and run the wildcat. A creative team would line him up in different positions all over the field and utilize his talent. He's not going to come in, 2 years out of the league, and be a standard drop back QB. It's just not going to happen.

He wasn't going to be a standard drop back QB ever. :wallbash:

BTW - Mike Vick is a total scumbag. Just needed to say that. I may add that to every post in this forum until he goes back to jail for something else.

Vick is a scumbag, but he got busted, paid his debt to society, and like every other American has the right to move on.

I wouldn't mind having him just to p!ss off PETA :wallbash:

No one is saying that he has no right to move on.

I just don't want him as a Bill, and I don't think players should be campaigning to have him signed, when we already have a starter at the QB position.

And just because PETA is generally a bunch of whackos, doesn't mean they are wrong, or even in the minority when it comes to Vick.

The commish is powerful but he's not above the constitutional right Vick has to pursue employment.

Do I also have the constitutional right to play in the NFL?

You are going a little overboard here. Vick doesn't have the constitutional right to play in the NFL.

You are going a little overboard here. Vick doesn't have the constitutional right to play in the NFL.

Yes, he does. He paid what the REAL judge thought he should, in full. According to many here, he should have been given life in solitary confinement. Goodell was never elected by anyone and his rulings are nut subject to any third party appeal. What's wrong with this picture? Appointed 'officials' making life-changing rulings. Not certain how great that is, does not seem to work in general for the people.

Yes, he does. He paid what the REAL judge thought he should, in full. According to many here, he should have been given life in solitary confinement. Goodell was never elected by anyone and his rulings are nut subject to any third party appeal. What's wrong with this picture? Appointed 'officials' making life-changing rulings. Not certain how great that is, does not seem to work in general for the people.

Point to me where in the Constitution it says that he has a right to play in the NFL.

Are we missing the intent of this post? Who is this Drayton Florence of which we speak? Accoding to that link, he is a 6.6 million dollar (2 years) Jauron special, with a history of "getting roasted on the outside." I guess this guy filled such a big need after drafting about 175 defensive backs in the last 4 years, but I digress.

This moron hasn't played a down on the Bills, yet thinks it is OK to come in and campaign for another quarterback. I guess he doesn't really give so much of a f--- what Edwards, or even the other quarterbacks think.

I hope that he is smarter ON the field than off of it, but I really doubt it. The Bills could finish 7-9 with or without this mental midget. He really needs to shut his mouth and perhaps learn the ridiculous Jauron defensive playbook.

Am I being too harsh? :wallbash:

Give it a break dude. The Bills have as many if not more criminals than any other team this season. Lynch is lucky he isn't in jail doing time for his repeat crimes-yes crimes=criminal. Why should the NFL be any different than society? It is the American way, and I am only assuming you are a real American, that once you have paid your debt to society you have the right to earn a living, and get a second chance. Hell, Lynch is on his third chance after his suspension, should he be banned for life too. Get off your high horse and watch football.

Point to me where in the Constitution it says that he has a right to play in the NFL.

If a team thinks he is good enough to play, he has the right to play. Everyone has the equal right to have every job. The equal rights amendment is an amendment to the constitution and it applies to blacks, whites, hispanics, felons, ugly people, and even those such as yourself. Everyone.

There you go.

Try to give your children the education you clearly never had, ok? I'm praying for them.

If a team thinks he is good enough to play, he has the right to play. Everyone has the equal right to have every job. The equal rights amendment is an amendment to the constitution and it applies to blacks, whites, hispanics, felons, ugly people, and even those such as yourself. Everyone.

There you go.

Try to give your children the education you clearly never had, ok? I'm praying for them.

Tell it to Pete Rose. :wallbash:

There you go.

Cool. Call the Bills. Since I have a Constitutional right to play for them, it should not be a problem.

Cool. Call the Bills. Since I have a Constitutional right to play for them, it should not be a problem.

As noted IF A TEAM THINKS HE IS GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY. Maybe you and I are both lacking some skills?

Pete rose, he's bumming... not sure what to make of that one. If some team wanted to hire him as manager, I would think he would have a legit case and likely win that right. The hall of fame is not a job. By the way, that the guy who has the most hits EVER in the league is not in the hall of fame, does not give the baseball hall much credibility. I will skip cooperstown, thanks.

No, you don't. And neither does anyone else. Perhaps I could have been clearer in that he has the constitutional right to petition the courts on the basis of not being allowed to pursue employment in a free market place that would place a high value on his previously displayed abilitities. My feeling and the feeling of a couple lawyers I chatted up (not that labor law is their specialty) is that he would have a case if denied the opportunity for any length of time.

Regardless, the ruling by Goodell is just so Vick doesn't overshadow the opening of the NFL season. It's a PR move intended to keep the spotlight where it belongs on opening weekend. Just my opinion, but the muddled way in which the ruling is written gives me reason to believe Vick will be back sooner rather than later.

GO BILLS!!!

As noted IF A TEAM THINKS HE IS GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY. Maybe you and I are both lacking some skills?

Pete rose, he's bumming... not sure what to make of that one. If some team wanted to hire him as manager, I would think he would have a legit case and likely win that right. The hall of fame is not a job. By the way, that the guy who has the most hits EVER in the league is not in the hall of fame, does not give the baseball hall much credibility. I will skip cooperstown, thanks.

You said I had a Constitutional right to the job. You lied to me.

It seems like the inmates are running the asylum.

If the Bills have no interest in signing Vick, I'd prefer if the players were told to STFU about the subject. I'd rather they focus on the task at hand, rather than on potential personnel moves.

On the other hand, if the Bills are interested in Vick, then I suppose that the comments that TO, Florence & Wilson have made can only help the cause.

You said I had a Constitutional right to the job. You lied to me.

You do have the right to play in the nfl if any team wants you. Constitutionally.

You are the real moronic inferno. Not worth discussing with you anymore as you clearly cannot grasp even the simplest concepts.

Who does employ you, I wonder? Man...

Are we missing the intent of this post? Who is this Drayton Florence of which we speak? Accoding to that link, he is a 6.6 million dollar (2 years) Jauron special, with a history of "getting roasted on the outside." I guess this guy filled such a big need after drafting about 175 defensive backs in the last 4 years, but I digress.

This moron hasn't played a down on the Bills, yet thinks it is OK to come in and campaign for another quarterback. I guess he doesn't really give so much of a f--- what Edwards, or even the other quarterbacks think.

I hope that he is smarter ON the field than off of it, but I really doubt it. The Bills could finish 7-9 with or without this mental midget. He really needs to shut his mouth and perhaps learn the ridiculous Jauron defensive playbook.

Am I being too harsh? :wallbash:

As Lori pointed out, based on early impressions at camp, there are other CBs outplaying him by no small margin. Florence may not make the team if, as Lori mentioned, they don't want to pay 3.3m for a 5th CB.

GO BILLS!!!

No, you don't. And neither does anyone else. Perhaps I could have been clearer in that he has the constitutional right to petition the courts on the basis of not being allowed to pursue employment in a free market place that would place a high value on his previously displayed abilitities. My feeling and the feeling of a couple lawyers I chatted up (not that labor law is their specialty) is that he would have a case if denied the opportunity for any length of time.

Regardless, the ruling by Goodell is just so Vick doesn't overshadow the opening of the NFL season. It's a PR move intended to keep the spotlight where it belongs on opening weekend. Just my opinion, but the muddled way in which the ruling is written gives me reason to believe Vick will be back sooner rather than later.

GO BILLS!!!

That I can agree with. I am not sure how much of a case he would have, since he has other options to play football (CFL, UFL, etc.). The NFL is not the only option.

While the NFL may be the biggest and best, the commissioner is the ultimate determiner of who gets to play. The owners hired him to do that very job. If an owner or two disagrees with the commissioner, that is their choice. Regardless, the Commissioner is there as long as the owners allow him to be there and if he says that Vick cannot play, Vick does not have much standing legally. Of course, I am not a lawyer, but I would have trouble seeing how the NFL would lose a case like that. Nobody is saying Vick cannot get a job. That does not mean that Vick has a right to whatever job he wants.