Vick reinstated on conditional basis

Just sayin...

no problem

While we don't encourage moderation discussion on the board (starts us down a slimy shale path that inevitably ends in a 400 foot cliff) I don't mind an occasional bit of feedback around this time of year.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet Vick goes to the Pats

These are the kinds of moves they have made in the past and worked out well for them. He will be a perfect citizen just like Moss and love it there. The Pats want to win at all costs. I see this as a perfect move for them.

Imagine Vick coming in on 2nd and 1 etc. It could be deadly.

I bet Vick goes to the Pats

These are the kinds of moves they have made in the past and worked out well for them. He will be a perfect citizen just like Moss and love it there. The Pats want to win at all costs. I see this as a perfect move for them.

Imagine Vick coming in on 2nd and 1 etc. It could be deadly.

Imagine if he gets near someone's Golden Retreiver. Same result.

There are 6 threads dedicated solely to TO in training camp (two started by the same person), three dedicated to TOs TV show and one titled "TO eats a bowl of cereal".

That one's mine :unsure:

I figured if SKOOOOOOOOOOOBY can start a new thread every time Chris Brown posts something in his blog - be it Ryan Denny getting poked in the eye, Shawn Nelson not chartering a private jet to make the morning practice, someone picking a booger out of their nose and giving it to SKOOOOOOOOOOOBY as a souvenier, or what have you - well, I thought folks would be just as interested in what T.O. had for breakfast that morning! :wallbash:

this is an extremely good example of the double-standard applied to professional athletes, entertainers, etc.

If one of us were to be discovered to be running an underground dog fighting ring, our employer would most likely fire us (or make it so hard we would quit) and we would NEVER be allowed to go back to said position.

Why is Vick any different?

It reeks of money.

Double standard?

How many regular people are prosecuted under Conspiracy to Travel in the Aid of Unlawful Activities statutes?

He was probably targeted and prosecuted precisely because he wasn't a average person.

so had he 'ordinary' status they would have let him walk?

Double standard?

How many regular people are prosecuted under Conspiracy to Travel in the Aid of Unlawful Activities statutes?

He was probably targeted and prosecuted precisely because he wasn't a average person.

Here's the law on Animal Cruelty in Virginia:

VA. Code Ann. 3.1-796.122

Cruelty to animals is defined as: “overrides, overdrives, overloads, tortures, ill-treats, abandons, willfully inflicts inhumane injury or pain, or cruelly or unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates, or kills any animal, whether belonging to himself or another; deprives any animal of necessary food, drink, shelter or emergency veterinary treatment; sores any equine for any purpose or administers drugs or medications to alter or mask such soring for the purpose of sale, show, or exhibition of any kind, unless such administration of drugs or medications is within the context of a veterinary client-patient relationship and solely for therapeutic purposes; willfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal; carries or causes to be carried in or upon any vehicle, vessel or otherwise any animal in a cruel, brutal, or inhumane manner; or causes or permits any of the above things,” or killing a dog or cat for it’s hide, fur or pelt. This is a Class 1 Misdemeanor with a fine up to $2500 and/or imprisonment up to 1 year.

A second or subsequent conviction of the above, or who “tortures, willfully inflicts inhumane injury or pain not connected with bona fide scientific or medical experimentation, or cruelly and unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates or kills any animal whether belonging to himself or another;” or does the same to a dog or cat “that is a companion animal and as a direct result causes the death” or euthanasia of that animal is a Class 6 Felony with a fine up to $2500. Other sentencing provisions include anger management or psychological counseling, and being prohibited from possessing or owning companion animals. Exemptions are made for veterinary practice, dehorning of cattle, wildlife management, hunting, fishing and trapping, farming activities, and protection of life or property.

Abandonment of an animal was removed from cruelty to animals and it is now classified as highway littering, with a fine from $250 to $2500 and/or imprisonment for up to 12 months, however the court may suspend any sentence on the condition that the defendant volunteer to remove litter from the highway.

Vick admitted to imhumanely killing 8 dogs, so that counts as a Class six felony. And this doesn't even touch on running an illegal dogfighting operation, illegally betting on the dog fights, operating dog fights in multiple states. But hey, this guy is an athlete and can bring in millions of dollars, so he should be able to go back to making millions of dollars :unsure::wallbash:

so had he 'ordinary' status they would have let him walk?

I don't think there would have been a federal prosecution for someone as little known as ......... Ron Mexico.

It would have stayed a state investigation, and probably prosecuted as a felony under state statutes (and rightly so).

In other words, it wouldn't have become a Federal matter without his high profile. Which IMO is a double standard.

There are 6 threads dedicated solely to TO in training camp (two started by the same person), three dedicated to TOs TV show and one titled "TO eats a bowl of cereal".

This just in: TO is actually a member of the Buffalo Bills, not an unemployed ex-con.

The Senator is right---especially this zazzie guy.

Look, K-9, if your point is that anyone can sue anyone for anything, I won't argue against that. But this case would be hopeless, if it was ever heard. No one has challenged the Commish. They all sign a contract which spells out the conditions under which they remain employed by the NFL. They, through thier union, have all agreed that the Commish alone sets the punishment and he alone considers the appeal. There would therefore be no basis for the suit.

You know, I was actually going to preface that post with, "For once, I find myself in rare agreement with Mr. WEO!" :unsure:

Indeed, in this litigious age, anyone can file a law suit and have at least some chance that it will not be dismissed as 'frivolous', then hope for a financial settlement. However, as you correctly state, Mr. Mexico...er...um...Michael Vick has absolutely no grounds for any legal action regarding his suspension or possible reinstatement, and the National Football League certainly has the financial resources and stamina to outlast any futile efforts by Mr. Mexico, er, Vick.

Link - The Original Ron Mexico

On a personal note, while I would never want to see him in a Bills uniform and don't think he belongs in the NFL either, I do hope he can establish himself as a wage-earner so that perhaps he can pay damages to some of the victims to whom he knowingly passed along his STDs...

Woman claims star NFL quarterback passed along herpes in 2003

Finally, I took the liberty of plugging the name "Mister WEO" into the 'Ron Mexico Name Generator' - your new Ron Mexico name is 'Peter Fiji'...

Link - Ron Mexico Name Generator

-- Will Patriots or Steelers Sign Michael Vick? --

Tue Jul 28, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

#

Bloomberg reports QB Michael Vick's second chance in the National Football League is most likely to come from the New England Patriots or Pittsburgh Steelers, according to the Internet gambling Web site BetUS.com. Vick was conditionally reinstated to the NFL yesterday, a week after completing a 23-month sentence for running a dogfighting ring. The NFL said that the former Pro Bowl quarterback can practice immediately and play in the preseason's final two games if he can find a team that will sign him. The Patriots and Super Bowl-champion Steelers are given 4-1 odds of adding Vick. They're followed by the San Francisco 49ers and Buffalo Bills at 9-2, meaning a winning $100 bet would return $450 plus the original wager.

I don't think there would have been a federal prosecution for someone as little known as ......... Ron Mexico.

It would have stayed a state investigation, and probably prosecuted as a felony under state statutes (and rightly so).

In other words, it wouldn't have become a Federal matter without his high profile. Which IMO is a double standard.

If Vick would have stayed in Virginia, it would have been just VA state charges, but since he crossed mulitple state lines in his illegal dogfighting operation, it then became a federal case. It had nothing to do with Vick's status.

-- Will Patriots or Steelers Sign Michael Vick? --

Tue Jul 28, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

#

Bloomberg reports QB Michael Vick's second chance in the National Football League is most likely to come from the New England Patriots or Pittsburgh Steelers, according to the Internet gambling Web site BetUS.com. Vick was conditionally reinstated to the NFL yesterday, a week after completing a 23-month sentence for running a dogfighting ring. The NFL said that the former Pro Bowl quarterback can practice immediately and play in the preseason's final two games if he can find a team that will sign him. The Patriots and Super Bowl-champion Steelers are given 4-1 odds of adding Vick. They're followed by the San Francisco 49ers and Buffalo Bills at 9-2, meaning a winning $100 bet would return $450 plus the original wager.

I actually hope that he does sign with the Cheatriettes* - gives 'em* another recidivist thug to keep Moss* company - maybe smoke some pot together, and when the Fellas* from Fagsboro* come to The Ralph, the PA guys can crank the volume on...

The Ron Mexico Song

In the meantime, I've bought more shares of GlaxoSmithKline, makers of VALTREX.

If Vick would have stayed in Virginia, it would have been just VA state charges, but since he crossed mulitple state lines in his illegal dogfighting operation, it then became a federal case. It had nothing to do with Vick's status.

You really don't think the Feds wanted Vick more than the others even though less involved?

His co-defendants testified against Vick even though more involved, and received lesser sentences.

Note...I'm not disputing Vick's guilt at all.....only that I think a Federal Prosecutor has a career

interest in getting somebody of Vick's stature on the docket.

Watch a proven franchise sign this guy and he delivers when needed.

Yeah, how did that work out for Atlanta?

This just in: TO is actually a member of the Buffalo Bills, not an unemployed ex-con.

This just in: "yall" posted that observation 2 hours ago.

You really don't think the Feds wanted Vick more than the others even though less involved?

His co-defendants testified against Vick even though more involved, and received lesser sentences.

Note...I'm not disputing Vick's guilt at all.....only that I think a Federal Prosecutor has a career

What?? His codefendents, though less involved, received lesser sentences? Does Vick's lawyer realize this?? Oh my!

It would obviously surprise you to learn that Vick was the prize in this not because is "Mike Vick" but because he was the financial backer of this criminal enterprise. Also, you seem to be surprised that codefendents who admit guilt and offer to testify against another defendent would receive lesser sentences. It's been known to happen...

Finally, I took the liberty of plugging the name "Mister WEO" into the 'Ron Mexico Name Generator' - your new Ron Mexico name is 'Peter Fiji'...

Thanks. Call me Pete.

Put in my real name and got "Dante Japan".

If a team thinks he is good enough to play, he has the right to play. Everyone has the equal right to have every job. The equal rights amendment is an amendment to the constitution and it applies to blacks, whites, hispanics, felons, ugly people, and even those such as yourself. Everyone.

There you go.

Try to give your children the education you clearly never had, ok? I'm praying for them.

Ummm ... just checking, but you DO know that the proposed Equal Rights Amendment, which dealt with discrimination based on gender, was never ratified? Perhaps you mean the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment instead.

Ummm ... just checking, but you DO know that the proposed Equal Rights Amendment, which dealt with discrimination based on gender, was never ratified? Perhaps you mean the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment instead.

don't try to stop him when he's on a roll :unsure:

don't try to stop him when he's on a roll :unsure:

I just thought it was unintentionally hilarious that he saw fit to lecture someone who has actually served in a state-level political party on the details of the Constitution, when he doesn't appear to have a firm grasp of them himself.

Back to your regularly-scheduled Vick debate.

That's the best one I've ever seen! :unsure::wallbash:

The Dean translates to: Maximillian Nigeria (me likee)

My real name translates to: Gary Arizona (way too gay for me)

*waits for the idiots to come invade this thread again and complain about how evil Mike Vick is because they know him personally*

I am not complaining. Sign him and you will find my gear on ebay.

What?? His codefendents, though less involved, received lesser sentences? Does Vick's lawyer realize this?? Oh my!

It would obviously surprise you to learn that Vick was the prize in this not because is "Mike Vick" but because he was the financial backer of this criminal enterprise. Also, you seem to be surprised that codefendents who admit guilt and offer to testify against another defendent would receive lesser sentences. It's been known to happen...

Do you really think his friends were less culpable?

He was the financial backer....basically he set up his friends.....the statement of facts reads that Vick didn't receive any purses from dogfighting and did not place any sidebets. He did however put up the money.

Anyway, in the last 10 years about 20,000 have been charged under that section of federal law.

18 Sec. 371. Conspiracy to commit offense or to defraud United States

FY1998 - FY2007 Number of defendants in cases filed

(Results for Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure )

Title and Section(s) 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998

18 371 2194 2246 2089 2335 2593 2609 2249 2564 2458 2456

I doubt very many of those defendants were for dog fighting even though I suspect it is widespread.

I wasn't defending Vick at all...just suggesting that his celebrity might of had a hand in drawing Federal interest. That's all.

He got what he deserved, and thankfully his celebrity and association with it will probably jumpstart more prosecutions of this sort IMO.

Depending on which 'real' name, I am either Hercules Angola or Bruno Guam, both pretty cool.

I just wish the Bills would hire a head coach like...

Danny Afghanistan :unsure:

All pretty good names.

Since you are entralled with college coaches with no NFL experience, maybe you should run Steve Spurrier through that website. (Yes, I realize Steve now has some horrible NFL experience.)

He committed federal crimes by crossing state lines with his illegal dogfighting ring, bottom line. Who cares what the prosecutor thought. He got a 3 year suspended jail sentence from the state charges in VA so either way, he was gonna do time.