Trade Whitner while we still can

Clements and Winfield were little horses on the Bills first round corner merry go-round of stupidity.

Spikes was seriously injured to the point that he wasn't even a fraction of his former ability, and Bledsoe was 100x better than Losman when he was released.

And EVERY vet on that team knew it, too. Talk about a slap in the face to your core group. Handing the job to Losman and letting go of a well-liked player in Bledsoe, regardless of his decline, did a LOT to hurt that locker room.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most vivid memories I have of Donte Whitner up to this point in his career are watching mediocre tight ends run right by him, or him draped on their back as they go up and catch the ball over the deep middle. I can honestly say I do not have a bias when it comes to Whitner. I was hoping he would step up his game last season. But lets face it, a #8 pick in the draft 4 years ago with 2 career interceptions, who makes no big plays is at this point a bust. Some might not agree but if I could compare him to one player it would be Coy Wire. Always just a half step late on all of his coverage but a decent tackler. Bryd can not possibly be less dynamic than Whitner.

My thought is that much of the league has not caught on to the fact that he stinks. (ESPN line of thinking, that most front offices use. "I've heard of him") So I say we let him go through training camp, hope a starting safety for another team gets injured, and try to get a 3rd round pick. Before everyone else realizes all he can do is tackle. Trade him this year or else all we will be able to get for him is a Losman jersey and a half eaten bag of Lays potatoe chips.

That's a gem.

You can have any opinion you want on Whitner and by all means at best the jury is still out on him, but when you compare him to Coy Wire, a linebacker-turned-safety-turned-linebacker, I have to laugh. Wire was a fringe player and STer in his best days with the Bills, while Donte has been a starter pretty much since day one.

There's no sense in being vindictive towards a player because he was drafted high and doesn't play up to the expectations you had for him on draft day. What about the story of Josh Reed? The guy was almost run out of town and since then he's gotten better and better to the point now where he is a very reliable receiver. These guys are all assets and to advocate cutting ties with them because you don't think they were worth their draft slot, while not taking into account what they do well, is poor management.

Well duh. You should never simply judge a player by how he performs on the field. You should always base your analysis on where the player was drafted. I mean, who cares if the guy is a merely a good player if he was drafted in round 1? If your 1st round picks aren't pro-bowlers, they should be cut regardless of their performance,simply for not living up to their draft billing.

If Matt Stafford develops into merely a decent QB who throws 22 TDs per year and stabilizes the position for the Lions, he should be cut since the #1 pick should be tossing 40+ TDs and playing in the pro bowl every season.

Yeah, it would be one thing if the argument is Scott is a better choice to start at SS than Whitner. You can agree or disagree on that, but why is it that every anti-Whitner post has to mention his draft position? It really is 100% completely irrelevant to whether the team should keep Whitner and whether he should start.

That's a gem.

You can have any opinion you want on Whitner and by all means at best the jury is still out on him, but when you compare him to Coy Wire, a linebacker-turned-safety-turned-linebacker, I have to laugh. Wire was a fringe player and STer in his best days with the Bills, while Donte has been a starter pretty much since day one.

There's no sense in being vindictive towards a player because he was drafted high and doesn't play up to the expectations you had for him on draft day. What about the story of Josh Reed? The guy was almost run out of town and since then he's gotten better and better to the point now where he is a very reliable receiver. These guys are all assets and to advocate cutting ties with them because you don't think they were worth their draft slot, while not taking into account what they do well, is poor management.

I love the blind faith of this board. I'm also glad to see all of Dick Jaurons relatives are members. Ok because Bill Belichick Jr. has decided to start Donte Whitner for the past 3 years he must be deserving. Donte Whitner does not remind me of Coy Wire, he is Coy Wire. Except I remember Wire being a better tackler than Whitner to be honest. At least he had a little fire when he played. On 31 other teams who didn't have the burden of wasting a #8 pick on Coy Wire's twin, he would be a back-up linebacker(not even safety)/Special teams player. And you can take that to the bank, the blood bank.

So you think he sucks because he was picked in the first round, but wouldn't suck if he was picked in the third if all his numbers stayed the same?

As a #8 pick he sucks, especially considering how great a player Ngata is.

If he were picked in the second or third he'd be considered as an ok guy who could get bounced from his starting job if a rookie or free agent fared much better in training camp.

I don't have a sense of worry about what our defense would do without Donte Whitner. To me, that's a bad indictment of a player. For as much talking the guy does, I'd love to see him have to fight for a starting job.

Sorry, but he's as much of a failure as Losman was and Donte was picked 18 spots higher as a rookie. Don't get the Whitner love at all. It reminds me of the Jauron love last year.

You have no clue about my thoughts on Donte Whitner. My post talks about the OP. You are an angry person and perhaps should consider medicating yourself with something besides online message boards and facebook.

I think hes just upset that Donte wont add him as a freind. Bitter much? LOL :cry:

As a #8 pick he sucks, especially considering how great a player Ngata is.

If he were picked in the second or third he'd be considered as an ok guy who could get bounced from his starting job if a rookie or free agent fared much better in training camp.

I don't have a sense of worry about what our defense would do without Donte Whitner. To me, that's a bad indictment of a player. For as much talking the guy does, I'd love to see him have to fight for a starting job.

Sorry, but he's as much of a failure as Losman was and Donte was picked 18 spots higher as a rookie. Don't get the Whitner love at all. It reminds me of the Jauron love last year.

You are literally retarded. Donte Whitner is regarded as one of the best in-the-box safeties in the NFL. Why don't you actually watch the game? Whitner has been VERY productive in the Bills scheme, and anyone who works in the actual football business would tell you that. Obviously, you have no idea how he is used.

PS: Ngata isn't a great player. He is very good, but no where close to great.

Thank you.

No problem. I got those on the NFLPA site.

It was noted in a post that has been deleted, that the last year is a voidable option. That sounds about right, but isn't specified on the NFLPA site.

Anyone know who can void the last year of the contract? Either side? I'm guessing Donte, as it is rather low.

Apparently you don't understand that tackles are meaningless, unless they are behind the LOS. That's why Fletcher sucked so hard when he was here.

:cry:

Ahh yes the tackles "5 yards downfield" guys ... Lets not even go there. :w00t:

Ah, but there's a difference: Fletcher wasn't a #8 pick.

See, that's the argument. Not that Whitner should be traded because he sucks. Whitner should be traded because despite being the team's leading tackler over the past three years, he sucks for a high first-round pick three years ago.

Make sense now? Or you need a few more drinks to comprehend it?

Nope, didn't help. I can't even drink myself to that level of stupid.

Ed Reed is an unbelievable talent because he has had unbelievable players around him for the majority of his career. When you get constant pressure on a Qb and force teams to throw it way before he is ready to or because your run D is stout that makes the probability of a INT's more likely. Granted Reed is the best at his position in the last 10 years he still know what to do with the ball once he has it. Would trade half of our D for Ed.

What HE said

And EVERY vet on that team knew it, too. Talk about a slap in the face to your core group. Handing the job to Losman and letting go of a well-liked player in Bledsoe, regardless of his decline, did a LOT to hurt that locker room.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually I think this is a great time to get this off my chest.....

I was one of those who really looked forward to Losman replacing Bledsoe......I knew that Drew was the veteran guy and that would have an effect in the locker room....but what I did not realize is Losman's complete lack of football presense on the field....I thought that once he settled down and stopped running with the ball all the time he would use that wonderful cannon arm and start carving defenses up....and we would have a pro bowler very soon.....

Then to my dismay I started noticing the mental mistakes....the balls bouncing once or twice before they made it to a wide out if it was not thrown 60 yards.....the lack of mental clock in the pocket....the lack of touch to set up a screen pass.......

The decision to pull Bledsoe and replace with Losman set this team back a number of years....what they should have done was do everything they could at THAT time to give Bledsoe more quality OL......and and a true safety valve tight end like he had with Ben Coates.

I bet this infuriated the locker room when this happened. I was sooooooo wrong.

You are literally retarded. Donte Whitner is regarded as one of the best in-the-box safeties in the NFL. Why don't you actually watch the game? Whitner has been VERY productive in the Bills scheme, and anyone who works in the actual football business would tell you that. Obviously, you have no idea how he is used.

PS: Ngata isn't a great player. He is very good, but no where close to great.

The fact that you chose to use that word to try disparaging me speaks volumes about your maturity level. You do realize that there's a high probability that there are members here that have children with special needs?

It's just an opinion. Fans here were tearing me a new one when two years ago I was suggesting that Jauron was a horrible coach. I certainly nailed that one. Whitner's very productive???? That's insulting to Bills fans who still know what watching "very productive" players was like back in the Kelly days. At best, Donte Whitner is an average NFL safety. Even if he was the tenth best safety, he's no where near the guys who are game changers. Now try expanding your vocabulary and find a new putdown term, k?

The fact that you chose to use that word to try disparaging me speaks volumes about your maturity level. You do realize that there's a high probability that there are members here that have children with special needs?

It's just an opinion. Fans here were tearing me a new one when two years ago I was suggesting that Jauron was a horrible coach. I certainly nailed that one. Whitner's very productive???? That's insulting to Bills fans who still know what watching "very productive" players was like back in the Kelly days. At best, Donte Whitner is an average NFL safety. Even if he was the tenth best safety, he's no where near the guys who are game changers. Now try expanding your vocabulary and find a new putdown term, k?

Actually, with an opinion so baseless and contrary to logic, you do deserve to be called names for having it. Especially, after your points are refuted time and time again, yet you still cling to them. Sure, you can say Whitner sucks, but you would either be an idiot, retarded, or blind. I'd like you to point me to an opinion of an NFL scout who thinks Whitner isn't good, because every one of their scouting reports pegs him as a very good player.

PS: Spare me the PC bull sh--.

I don't think it's disparaging if it's a factual statement...

So a tackle after 5 yards gained when its 3rd and 6 is meaningless? What a stupid statement.

(Didn't get the sarcasm, I see.)

Yes, it is a stupid statement. It is also stupid to suggest it is meaningless anywhere on the field, outside of your own 5 yard line. Yet many here suggested that Fletcher sucked because many of his 100+ tackles were 5 yards deep. Maybe he should have just let the ball carrier run for a TD instead of tackling him.

I don't care if they got rid of him or not, but if Byrd or someone else looks as good during training camp then I'd love to see them get a shot at starting. I find it funny that one of his big supporters here just stated that if you even debate Whitner's skills then you're a moron, then he goes on to describe him as just a "solid" football player! :rolleyes:

Even his biggest supporters can't bring themselves to go beyond describing him as only "solid". He was the 8th pick in the draft and has done much less to help the Bills win in his career than Losman, who was drafted 18 spots lower. Sorry, but he's a third rounder kind of talent who was a major reach by the Bills. The pundits were right in laughing at that pick. I was hoping the Bills would be seen as the smart and crafty one's, but how foolish I was to think that. Initial gut reactions are generally the right reactions. Donte who??!! Real great pick there Marv and Dick. :thumbsup:

PASS RUSH = INT We have not had any, therfore we dont have yhe INT's It is that Simple, Donte will deliver this year when he is not asked to play 6 posistions in the back feild....

Well played. :thumbsup:

We need more of your kind here. There are way to many Buffalo Bill jock sniffers here who get angry at actual unbiased and unfiltered evaluations of certain players. Donte "The Bust" Whitner is one of these players. Maybe it's because they don't want to admit that they were initially right when Whitner was picked and all Bills fans collectively said "WTF?!", but then soon bought into the Whitner myth while tearing down the NFL pundits calling him a major reach.

Dude was indeed a major reach, he sucks on the football field, and he's been tasered for being a belligerent drunken mess out in public. Sorry, but I don't ever remember a "star" NFL player being tasered before. :rolleyes:

I think some of these Donte jock sniffers are his facebook buddies or something.

Whitner reminds me of the old fable about the emperor who had no clothes. An entire community of Bills fans says this guy is good, that he could be elite, etc. And everyone conveniently overlooks the fact that his only highlight reel plays consist of him being draped over the back of some 260 lb 4.9 forty running caucasian tight end in the end zone.

You do realize that there's a high probability that there are members here that have children with special needs?

If you give fignon your mom's/dad's TBD screen name, i'm sure he'll apologize to them.

That's it. Get rid of Stroud now (that bum). A first round draft choice (13th) nevertheless.

Last Year 45 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF and NO INTS

We need to replace him with guys more like Kyle Williams (5rd-134)

55 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 1 FF and NO INTS

By your logic, Stoud a first round pick only had 45 tackles. Williams the 5th round pick had 10 more. Clearly this shows that Kyle Williams is great and Stroud is average at best, (maybe a a so so back up player).

late in the thread but dont feed the trolls Mark you are better then that.

John good point, been a little stressed lately, come here to read some decent football analysis from intelligent poeple and run into this crap...... frustrates me to no end...... :thumbsup:

(Didn't get the sarcasm, I see.)

Yes, it is a stupid statement. It is also stupid to suggest it is meaningless anywhere on the field, outside of your own 5 yard line. Yet many here suggested that Fletcher sucked because many of his 100+ tackles were 5 yards deep. Maybe he should have just let the ball carrier run for a TD instead of tackling him.

Ha ha, no I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. I agree with you entirely.