Andre SMith

Why do you guys get so worked up over rumors that have no basis?

Because we're hours away from the NFL Draft!!

We don't know that it doesn't have basis. If there's truth to the rumor, then the Bills are sacrificing everything they hoped to add to the team to make it more competitive, by looking to replace a guy who they wouldn't pay top dollar for with an unproven guy they'll pay top dollar for.. :thumbsup:

Pass rush, LB play and a TE threat are glaring weaknesses from last season which will not be answered effectively if we go OT with the first pick. The horror would come from expending garnered picks to move up and get an OT.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know that it doesn't have basis. If there's truth to the rumor, then the Bills are sacrificing everything they hoped to add to the team to make it more competitive, by looking to replace a guy who they wouldn't pay top dollar for with an unproven guy they'll pay top dollar for.. :thumbsup:

Pass rush, LB play and a TE threat are glaring weaknesses from last season which will not be answered effectively if we go OT with the first pick. The horror would come from expending garnered picks to move up and get an OT.

Well - I hope they aren't thinking about CIN's #6 spot. I'd hate to miss the fun of Mike Brown choking on having to pay #6 money. :beer:

If we trade up in this draft I will give up on the team entirely. We have too many needs to spend TWO 1st rounders replacing a position where WE CREATED a need to begin with.

I think it would be a perfect ending to the entire Peters fiasco. It would complete the circle of idiocy the front office has been drawing over the last two years. Of course, so would taking an OT at 28, likely the 6th in that round by then. Then we can boast that we traded a OT who was in the top 5 in the entire league for a guy who is only the 6th best OT in this draft. Outstanding.

I agree but thanks to the Peters deal, OT is also a glaring weakness. You can't move forward by taking a step backwards and that is what we did. So now it really doesn't matter if they take an OT or they don't. Either way, there will be a glaring weakness that will go unaddressed in this draft absent mid to late round success. If either of those first two picks is a bust, there will be several weaknesses that will not get fixed. Hence the value of a pro bowler in the hand versus a draft pick in the bush.

I think it would be a perfect ending to the entire Peters fiasco. It would complete the circle of idiocy the front office has been drawing over the last two years. Of course, so would taking an OT at 28, likely the 6th in that round by then. Then we can boast that we traded a OT who was in the top 5 in the entire league for a guy who is only the 6th best OT in this draft. Outstanding.

Mickey, I think that what you said actualy negates the risk (assuming there ever was any) of the Bills trading up to draft a LT. Pettigrew wouldn't surprise me that much. A LT at 11 or under truly would.

Malcolm Jenkins is creeping up on all the boards. I just hope that someone grabs him in the top 10, but I said the same thing in 06 about Huff and we all know what happened. The Bills needed blockers in 06 as much as they do now.

Once again, we have a really good opportunity to make the Bills a good, strong team, one that is suited to play in the elements. We can only hope that Jauron and co. don't flush it down the toilet as is their norm.

per rotoworld:

The Bills are trying to trade up ahead of the Bengals at No. 6 to select Alabama OT Andre Smith, according to Scout.com.

The Bills are desperate for a bookend tackle after the Jason Peters trade, and the extra first-round pick will allow them to be aggressive in pursuit of their target. Smith's value appears to have fully rebounded despite a trainwreck offseason.

If this happens it would be the last straw for me as well. It's bad enough we have gone 7-9 under the same lifeless coaching regime over the past 3 seasons. This offseason we cut our starting LG, traded our extremely talented LT, and are shopping atleast 3 more other players that I know of. We've signed a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players, minus T.O., and now we're going to trade our two 1st round selections possibly to move up and take a guy who runs out on the combine because he felt he was out of shape, a guy who can't even properly respond to teams in the top 10 of the draft who are trying to speak with him? What the heck are these idiots doing? :thumbsup:

I think Andre Smith is a good deal better than Oher and I think his problems in the draft process had more to do with a horrific agent than anything else. However, I'm not sure I want to be sacrificing very much to move up to get him since there seems to be around a 50/50 shot he'll be there at 11 anyway.

If we trade up in this draft I will give up on the team entirely. We have too many needs to spend TWO 1st rounders replacing a position where WE CREATED a need to begin with.

Count me down for the same.

Trading up to draft Mike Williams the 2nd will be the end of my fandom.

Russ can't possibly be this stupid can he?

If this happens it would be the last straw for me as well. It's bad enough we have gone 7-9 under the same lifeless coaching regime over the past 3 seasons. This offseason we cut our starting LG, traded our extremely talented LT, and are shopping atleast 3 more other players that I know of. We've signed a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players, minus T.O., and now we're going to trade our two 1st round selections possibly to move up and take a guy who runs out on the combine because he felt he was out of shape, a guy who can't even properly respond to teams in the top 10 of the draft who are trying to speak with him? What the heck are these idiots doing? :thumbsup:

Someone on the board suggested a few days ago that the Bills are in rebuilding mode, albeit a stealth version of such.

It's either part of a plan to sell the team or Russ is preparing for when Jauron is fired midway through the season.

Do we know if guys from rotoworld actually talk to the Bills FO? There internet writers have to fill space and I believe they make this up. If they are wrong, it's no big deal.

I think if this happens ill check out of the draft early and enjoy some of this beautiful weather the Buffalo area will be having this weekend.

Honestly that is exactly what I'm thinking...Of coarse I'll be enjoying the weather in Charlotte, NC...

This move would completely ruin The Draft for Me...I understand Smith is a talent...Albeit a troubled one...But this Team needs to Trade up and give up Picks like I need a hole in the head...WAY too many needs to Trade up...Knowing this bunch I imagine it will happen though...And watch that 1st Round Pick next Year too!!! People are looking to save their Jobs!

It would just figure... :thumbsup:

I think Andre Smith is a good deal better than Oher and I think his problems in the draft process had more to do with a horrific agent than anything else. However, I'm not sure I want to be sacrificing very much to move up to get him since there seems to be around a 50/50 shot he'll be there at 11 anyway.

True, and if A. Smith is taken by #11, that indicates a good run on offensive players. Stafford, Sanchez, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Crabtree are pretty much top 10 locks. Jeremy Maclin and Oher are possibilities. If the Bills are afraid that A. Smith is going to be in this group, I say sit back and watch the offensive run and grab one of the best available defensive players at 11. Deal with the O-line at 28. There are far too many holes to fill to waste picks trading up.

Do we know if guys from rotoworld actually talk to the Bills FO? There internet writers have to fill space and I believe they make this up. If they are wrong, it's no big deal.

Exactly! Rotoworld is quoting Scout.com, which is quoting whom?

Sometimes I want to punch the Internet in the face.

personally i want a pass rusher and pettigrew, then some interior blockers in the draft. and an OLB in the first 4 rounds would be nice.

that said, if they really think one guy is an all world guy, then i'll take him. peters in 07 was great for us, in 08 he was a quitter and worthless.

i know andre smith has all kinds of red flags and looks fat and horrible, but he is rising lately and many guys out there think he is a john ogden type talent (with questions, but still).

i'd rather not trade up, but if it just costs a 3rd or 4th and more cash then it's not so big a deal.

Why would the Bills work so hard to trade one character-challenged LT, only to work even harder to pick up another?

This has to be a smokescreen to try and influence another team (Cincy or another team trying to trade up ahead of the Bills?) to bite on Smith so that their preferred choice is available at 11.

Outside of his meltdown at the combine you realize he's the best mauler in the draft though right?

I'm not completely opposed to taking the guy if he's there at #11, but they would have to give up a king's ransom to move up that many slots into the high first round, basically sh-- canning the rest of their draft. Not to mention paying him almost as much as Peters wanted.

I sure hope Dr. Fong is correct but I am fully prepared for the Bills to do something inexplicably stupid as usual on draft weekend.