Andre SMith

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't know there was another post on this

The Bills want to give up their first round picks for the 5th or 6th overall for Andre Smith?

WOW PATHETIC

Get a quality tackle at 28 and some defense at 11

jeez

This is pure speculation by writers who need to fill pages on the internet. Not sure why everyone gets so fired up about this crap.

Why you don't trade up for a tackle, not this year:

From http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index...p;thread=333250

"Now here comes another draft and, just like last year, four left tackles might go off in the first 15 selections. The need certainly is there. But is there the talent to spawn the next Pace or the next Roaf?

No, say general manager A.J. Smith of San Diego, former Cleveland GM Phil Savage and Tennessee scouting coordinator Blake Beddingfield, among many other scouts.

"In another draft none of these guys would be top five," Seattle Seahawks scout Charles Fisher said. "They're good players, but I wouldn't consider any of these guys as pure franchise cornerstones. Branden Albert is more athletic than all these guys."

Nineteen scouts with a national perspective participated in a Journal Sentinel survey asking them to rank the five best offensive linemen. A first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.

The results were exceedingly close, at least among three of the Big Four left tackles.

Baylor's Jason Smith gained a slight edge over Virginia's Eugene Monroe in points, 74-70. However, Alabama's Andre Smith, who was third with 64 points, had six first-place votes compared with seven for Jason Smith and only three for Monroe.

It's an indication that scouts either really like Andre Smith or don't like him at all, and that enthusiastic endorsement of Monroe is hard to come by.

Meanwhile, Mississippi's Michael Oher had the other three first-place votes but was a distant fourth in points with 38. Four voters left him off their ballots entirely.

"The tackles, you can find reasons why all of them will struggle," an AFC personnel director said. "One with weight (Andre Smith), one with anchor (Jason Smith), one with passion (Monroe) and one with intelligence (Oher)."

A personnel director for another AFC team recalled just how simple it was evaluating Ogden and Boselli and Roaf.

"When I saw Jason Smith during the fall, yes, I thought he'd be a solid first-round pick for somebody," Savage said. "But I never dreamed people would be talking about him as the first pick in the whole draft. You've got to be kidding me."

In a draft minus great prospects, the top 10 is going to include some players who would have been taken in the mid- to late teens or even the 20s in a more typical year.

Nobody is saying this class of offensive linemen will approach 1986, when four of the seven first-rounders (Brian Jozwiak, James FitzPatrick, Mike Haight and Mike Schad) went down as busts. Then again, no one is saying that it won't.

"I like the group," said Trent Baalke, San Francisco's director of player personnel. "But it's like the wide-receiver group: There's something in each one of them that makes you uneasy. The safest of the group is Monroe."

When the hemming and hawing was over and scouts were ready to declare which player had the best chance to bust, the vote on the Big Four fell this way: Andre Smith 8, Oher 6, Monroe 1 and Jason Smith 1."

...especially not for Andre Smith:

ANDRE SMITH Alabama 6-4 325 5.29 1

Started 38 straight games at LT, including all 13 as a freshman in '06. "My God," one scout said. "Just put the film in. The (expletive) guy can play football." That fact has become overlooked in the midst of his recent misadventures. First, he was suspended for the Sugar Bowl for dealing with an agent. Second, he left the combine half a day early without telling anyone. Third, he turned in less than auspicious numbers at his pro day. "The character, the weight stuff, the non-working stuff . . . he's got a lot of ways he can screw it up," another scout said. "He's just lazy. Takes the easy way out. He plays that way." Hails from a strong two-parent home in Birmingham, Ala. "The kid's a great kid," a third scout said. "He's just very country." Often compared to Shawn Andrews (6-4, 345, 5.48), who became an all-pro guard for the Eagles. At the very least, scouts say he should excel at guard. Almost all love his ability to knock people off the ball. "The onus is on him to become more disciplined and get his body firmed up," Hardaway said. "Willie Roaf's body was way better than this guy's. But he's got the feet, the wing span (35 3/8 -inch arms, longest by far of the leading tackles). The athletic movements put him in the level of Chris Samuels. But he ain't a great player by no stretch of the imagination." Wonderlic of 17.

How do you keep your cool in such trying times??!?!?

I guess because I'm older and started going to games in the late '60's. I now realize I have no control over any of this. Plus I need to save all my energy to be angry this weekend. (between naps!!)

Outside of his meltdown at the combine you realize he's the best mauler in the draft though right?

The top 10 is supposed to be cheap to get into this year, if the Bills manage to trade up 5 spots to grab the best OL in the draft for a 3rd, yeah that would be a real dissapointment.

I would be fine with this approach. #11 plus our third to get to #5 would make the Peters trade look OK.

I would be fine with this approach. #11 plus our third to get to #5 would make the Peters trade look OK.

Mike Williams was the best Mauler in the '02 draft.

You basically traded Peters and the #11 and #75 picks for a #28 and a guaranteed bust. Glad it looks "OK" to you.

I think it is more likely the Bills take Jenkins at 11 than it is likely they trade up for Smith. It makes no sense when they have so many holes.

Their draft day strategy is going to be simple......take the best available player D-Line/O-Line player at 11. And do the same thing at 28. Or at least that is what their strategy should be. Trading up for any of the OT's in this draft is a dumb move.

I think it is more likely the Bills take Jenkins at 11 than it is likely they trade up for Smith. It makes no sense when they have so many holes.

Their draft day strategy is going to be simple......take the best available player D-Line/O-Line player at 11. And do the same thing at 28. Or at least that is what their strategy should be. Trading up for any of the OT's in this draft is a dumb move.

I hope you're right (except for the part about taking Jenkins, that is). Jason Smith or Monroe are at the top of my draft board, but only at #11; anywhere in the top 5 and if the player busts the team is set back half a decade. Do *not* trade up under any circumstances. Take the best available player on your board when your time comes, and listed to offers to trade down (although don't go crazy, you still need talent here).

You basically traded Peters and the #11 and #75 picks for a #28 and a guaranteed bust. Glad it looks "OK" to you.

But hey, at least they didn't have to pay Jason Peters all that money! :rolleyes:

This trade would= :thumbsup::censored::censored::censored:

If we drafted Lazy Andre at all it would be a huge disappointment, if we somehow manage to trade up for this lummox I'll just laugh at the joke the Bills have finally become and call it an offseason. I feel like I'm on some stupid hidden camera show where Ashton douchebag Kutcher is going to pop out and tell me I'm being punked by the team I love. Not that this has gotten me worked up at all, I'm just saying that if it does happen, I'll just laugh and call it a summer.

Be careful. Dissenting opinions aren't all that welcome on this thread. :thumbsup:

Well, if that's the case, let me add that I think this trade would be mindnumbingly stupid for a number of reasons and, that combined with their decision to keep Dick Jauron and his miserable track record, it might be time to pull the plug on my support of the team if it happened. The front office will have either proven itself completely incompetent or that they just don't care.

Yea I would be equally irrate if we drafted Jenkins, I am just saying I don't think there has been any indiciation that the Bills would actually be willing to trade up for Smith.

There are no stand out LT's in this draft worth top 10 money, mark my words. There are "safe picks", but no one that is going to step in and blow people away. I'd be happier taking Alex Mack with the number 11 than I would be trading up for Smith.

Well, let's not go overboard with a C at #11. But I agree 100% otherwise. I'd rather reach a little for Pettigrew at #11 than trade away the future for some bust OT. Everything I've read has Smith playing OG or RT when all is said and done. The fact that some people think this is a good idea blows my mind.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this rumor mongering. The Bills have shown a propensity to move up into the bottom part of the first round -- but they have NEVER (at least in the past 20 years or so) traded to move up INTO the the top 10. This is actually a pretty good year to be picking where they are, given their needs. They should have plenty of options at DE, LB, TE -- and (yes) OT at this spot. In fact, if they really like Smith that much, there is a chance he could still be there at 11 without trading up. Assuming Stafford, Sanchez, Crabtree, Maclin, Raji, and Curry are all gone before 10, if Andre Smith is also gone that means that at least 3 OTs (maybe 4) went in the top 10. In that case, the Bills would have their pick for the best DE in the draft. I just don't see the team valuing Smith more than one of the elite DEs (Orakpo, Ayers, Brown, Jackson, Maybin) PLUS the 28th pick.

Everything I've read has Smith playing OG or RT when all is said and done.

I think so, too. If CIN picks him, they are looking for an eventual replacement for RG Bobbie Williams. They certainly have question marks about LT Levi Jones' chronic injuries, and '06 #2 Whitworths' game 10 serious injury. Losing RT Stacey Andrews wasn't much of a loss - he was a different player after he got the franchise tag cash.

Against Smith, is that they've been burned several times in signing and re-signing players who ballooned up after they got the big $$$. And their owner is in it for the money. He has nothing of his father in him.

Wow. How is a player a "guaranteed" bust if he hasn't even played yet and only played well at the college level? :thumbsup:

I'm not advocating drafting him, mind you. I'm merely suggesting that hyperbole be reined in.

It has to be a smokescreen. Right? But I just cant figure out how making teams believe this would help posture the Bills so they can get the player they really do want.

If this is true, like I said, I'm gonna be catching up on some yard work.

I think it is a smokescreen to start the run on OT's so that Everette Brown can fall into their laps at 11.