Rumor: Trent Edwards leaning towards shoulder surgery!

Thought I need to post this because this offseason might have just taken an interesting turn......but rememer this is rumor. HOWEVER that being said Sal Capaccio is usually a very reliable source so this in fact might be true.

http://www.salsports.com/TrentEdwardsInjury.htm

Source: Bills QB Edwards leaning towards shoulder surgery

By Sal Capaccio

www.SalSports.com

A source told me over the weekend that Buffalo Bills starting quarterback Trent Edwards is leaning towards having off-season shoulder surgery on his throwing arm sometime soon.

If the report is accurate, the Bills are being tight-lipped about it at this time. When reached for comment on the report via telephone, Bills Vice President of Communications Scott Berchtold said, "I haven't heard anything to that effect."

Edwards injured his throwing shoulder while in college in Stanford's final game of 2005, a 38-31 loss to Notre Dame, which caused him to miss some spring drills. It's not clear if this situation and the previous injury are related, or exactly when Edwards may have injured it this season.

It is also not known whether or not the surgery would require Edwards to miss any of the Bills 2009 training camp.

After being selected in the 3rd round (92nd overall) of the 2007 NFL draft, Edwards took over for JP Losman his rookie season and started nine of the Bills last thirteen games. He got off to a fast 2008, as the Bills won four of their first five games. However, he struggled the second half of the season, including throwing seven interceptions during one three-game stretch (weeks 9-11).

For the season, Edwards completed 65.5% of his pass attempts for 2,699 yards for 11 touchdowns against 10 interceptions. His final 2008 passer rating was 85.4.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I need to post this because this offseason might have just taken an interesting turn......but rememer this is rumor. HOWEVER that being said Sal Capaccio is usually a very reliable source so this in fact might be true.

By Sal Capaccio

www.SalSports.com

Would guess that it is minor. Did not appear to be an issue during the season

WGR - Sports Radio 550 has learned that Trent Edwards has an injured right shoulder and is seeking opinions on how to treat the damage. It is not known what the actual extent of the injury is but two league sources have told WGR that the injury does not seem serious. The Bills did not respond to calls seeking more information about this story.

Injury prone

WGR - Sports Radio 550 has learned that Trent Edwards has an injured right shoulder and is seeking opinions on how to treat the damage. It is not known what the actual extent of the injury is but two league sources have told WGR that the injury does not seem serious. The Bills did not respond to calls seeking more information about this story.

Injury prone

Here's the link....

http://www.wgr550.com/Trent-Edwards-weighi...houlder/3603681

Trent Edwards weighing options on injured shoulder

WGR Newsroom Reporting

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- WGR Sports Radio 550 has learned that Trent Edwards has an injured right shoulder and is seeking opinions on how to treat the damage. It is not known what the actual extent of the injury is but two league sources have told WGR that the injury does not seem serious. The Bills did not respond to an e-mail seeking more information about this story.

During Trent Edwards' collegiate career, his right shoulder took plenty of abuse.

In 2003, Edwards suffered a right shoulder contusion against Washington State and missed two additional games.

In 2004, Edwards sprained his right shoulder against Oregon and then re-injured the same shoulder later that season which caused his to miss two games.

In 2005, Edwards sustained a neck/right shoulder stinger against California and re-injured his shoulder against Notre Dame later in the season.

In 2006, Edwards was not able to go 100% in spring drills due to his right shoulder.

Edwards also broke a bone in his right foot during his senior season and the overall pounding he received at Stanford caused some scouts to worry about his durability. During his brief NFL career, Edwards has missed games in both 2007 (wrist) and in 2008 (thigh - preseason, concussion, groin).

Stay tuned to WGR - Sports Radio 550 for the latest news throughout the offseason.

So according to some guy from salsports.com which sounds like a beacon of reliability he may or may not get surgery for an injury from 4 years ago. Ok, well If it's true it sounds like nothing more then a minor issue

beacon of reliability. priceless!

By Sal Capaccio

www.SalSports.com

A source told me over the weekend that Buffalo Bills starting quarterback Trent Edwards is leaning towards having off-season shoulder surgery on his throwing arm sometime soon.

If the report is accurate, the Bills are being tight-lipped about it at this time. When reached for comment on the report via telephone, Bills Vice President of Communications Scott Berchtold said, "I haven't heard anything to that effect."

Edwards injured his throwing shoulder while in college in Stanford's final game of 2005, a 38-31 loss to Notre Dame, which caused him to miss some spring drills. It's not clear if this situation and the previous injury are related, or exactly when Edwards may have injured it this season.

It is also not known whether or not the surgery would require Edwards to miss any of the Bills 2009 training camp.

After being selected in the 3rd round (92nd overall) of the 2007 NFL draft, Edwards took over for JP Losman his rookie season and started nine of the Bills last thirteen games. He got off to a fast 2008, as the Bills won four of their first five games. However, he struggled the second half of the season, including throwing seven interceptions during one three-game stretch (weeks 9-11).

For the season, Edwards completed 65.5% of his pass attempts for 2,699 yards for 11 touchdowns against 10 interceptions. His final 2008 passer rating was 85.4.

no wonder his arm is so weak

Makes no difference. Bills not going anywhere with him or without him.

haha hmmm... looks like someone needs to change their user name with an attitude like that

oh wait, my bad..you probably cherish your post count too much to do something crazy like that

By Sal Capaccio

www.SalSports.com

Was Dean Russin from the Oneonta Press the source? Please tell me you know Dean Russin.....sports writer in Oneonta...

Would guess that it is minor. Did not appear to be an issue during the season

Did not appear to be an issue?

Last I checked, you use your shoulder to throw and also last I checked Trent can't throw.

This could be the best news ever. Maybe we can blame his weak arm on his shoulder. If it is fixed maybe his arm will improve to below average or possibly even average. That could be a big boost for the Bills.

No surgery will cure him from being a girlish glove wearing Mary with hair highlights from Los Gatos but surgerry can help out with shoulder strength.

Shoulder injury? Another side effect of his concussion.

Seeing a pattern, here? Trent will get the offseason shoulder surgery, miss most of the pre-season and then he'll get to use the "lingering effects of the surgery and shortened pre-season" excuse when he stumbles for the first four games. Then he'll get hurt in the fifth game, miss his two to four games, and the lingering effects from that injury will be effecting him for games eight through ten or twelve, depending on the injury. By then the weather will be turning ugly and he'll falter because "those were the worst conditions I've ever seen."

Message to Trent!

If youre gonna do it do it NOW!

Dont wait till 3 weeks before training camp idiot!

Well at least he's looking into getting it taken care of. Look at how long Schobel has been screwing around with his injury? The reports last week said they'll determine if he needs surgery in February and if surgery is needed, he'll have to rehab for at least 6 months. So the guy gets paid $8.7 million a year, he will miss a good part of 2 seasons? Trade or cut him, the DE position is suffering because of this. Now with the QB situation, bring in a veteran QB to help Edwards out (in case he is not ready to go right away). It's still too early to give up on Edwards. Besides Evans, who do we really have as a receiving threat that could change the game and make a huge difference...No One!!! Give Edwards a couple more weapons and if he still can't get the job done, then it's time to look for another QB.

I'd like the know which shoulder it is on. If it's his non-throwing shoulder, then no biggie

uhm, doing a quick glance-over, i see at least 5 references to 'throwing shoulder' in the first few posts. I'd say it's his throwing shoulder that's hurt.

I'd like the know which shoulder it is on. If it's his non-throwing shoulder, then no biggie

It's his throwing shoulder, as posted several times throughout the thread:

Trent Edwards weighing options on injured shoulder

WGR Newsroom Reporting

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- WGR Sports Radio 550 has learned that Trent Edwards has an injured right shoulder and is seeking opinions on how to treat the damage. It is not known what the actual extent of the injury is but two league sources have told WGR that the injury does not seem serious. The Bills did not respond to an e-mail seeking more information about this story.

EDIT: bizell beat me to it.

Seeing a pattern, here? Trent will get the offseason shoulder surgery, miss most of the pre-season and then he'll get to use the "lingering effects of the surgery and shortened pre-season" excuse when he stumbles for the first four games. Then he'll get hurt in the fifth game, miss his two to four games, and the lingering effects from that injury will be effecting him for games eight through ten or twelve, depending on the injury. By then the weather will be turning ugly and he'll falter because "those were the worst conditions I've ever seen."

;)

Well, as long as he has high quality excuses, we should be OK with that. <_<

haha hmmm... looks like someone needs to change their user name with an attitude like that

oh wait, my bad..you probably cherish your post count too much to do something crazy like that

OK then, help me.

Show me anything that points to this team winning a playoff game in 2009. Give us all a reason why we should be optimistic for this upcoming season with Dick Jauron as the coach.

I've "kept the faith" for a long time with this team, but we all have our breaking point. I'm there.

I'm less concerned about the actual injury than I am the fact that he's apparently never had it addressed in four years. What, he thought it would just go away with overuse?

Why do you need it repaired if you are only throwing 4 yard checkdowns to josh reed and dump offs to marshawn? The docs prolly told him hold off until it bothers him. And since he doesn't throw passes over 8 yards, it probably wasn't bothering him.