A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) Say what you will about Elison, but he was all over the field. In fact, I would think he was our best defender today.

2) Get well #94. The pass rush was a literal disgrace.

3) Peters did give up the sack, but overall, the blind side was pretty well protected. Even on the sack, Dockery was sleeping. Btw, Dockery never played a worse game as a member of the Buffalo Bills. He was absolutely brutal to watch.

4) A disaster like this is exactly what made the San Diego win so important. See.....there is some good news.

5) I understand why they started Mcgee, I really do. You hate to start a rookie on the road, in a divisional game. OK.....I get it. But, at some point you need to get him off of the field when he is getting absolutely f :thumbsup: ing murdered on virtually every play. I mean....WTF!!?? Oh yeah, Jauron was out-coached today.

6) Robert Royal is playing his way off of this team. Not this year mind you, but I will be shocked to see him in Buffalo next year. Forgive me if I shed no tears.

7) McKelvin is killing me on kickoff returns. He either trots, or runs smack into a defender.

8) Trent looked a bit late on a few of his passes today, but I think that he threw pretty well overall.

9) Hard to tell, but I thought that Marshawn had an open field, or at least a ton of room when he dropped the pass in stride, right in his hands.

10) Before Whitner was flattened by Chad Pennington, he did a good job of stringing out the play. I hope he is pissed off, embarrassed, and has a great game next week. We need him to take over a game.

11) Losing Josh Reed really hurts. Hardy needs more work, and Parrish is more of a gimmick player than a legit #2 wideout. Sorry, it's the truth.

12) Yeah, this sucked, but a win next week would go far to erase this nightmare.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I played the tape of Peters and Dockery being split apart for that sack, three times. How can almost 700 pounds of millionaire on the hoof be pushed aside by one smaller dude, and not even slow him down enough for him to arrive at the QB too late? I don't think Peters returned to the lineup. He's been kidnapped and they inserted a eunich in his place so no one would know. Pay the ransom, Ralph!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Say what you will about Elison, but he was all over the field. In fact, I would think he was our best defender today.

3) Peters did give up the sack, but overall, the blind side was pretty well protected. Even on the sack, Dockery was sleeping. Btw, Dockery never played a worse game as a member of the Buffalo Bills. He was absolutely brutal to watch.

4) A disaster like this is exactly what made the San Diego win so important. See.....there is some good news.

5) I understand why they started Mcgee, I really do. You hate to start a rookie on the road, in a divisional game. OK.....I get it. But, at some point you need to get him off of the field when he is getting absolutely f :thumbsup: ing murdered on virtually every play. I mean....WTF!!?? Oh yeah, Jauron was out-coached today.

6) Robert Royal is playing his way off of this team. Not this year mind you, but I will be shocked to see him in Buffalo next year. Forgive me if I shed no tears.

7) McKelvin is killing me on kickoff returns. He either trots, or runs smack into a defender.

8) Trent looked a bit late on a few of his passes today, but I think that he threw pretty well overall.

9) Hard to tell, but I thought that Marshawn had an open field, or at least a ton of room when he dropped the pass in stride, right in his hands.

10) Before Whitner was flattened by Chad Pennington, he did a good job of stringing out the play. I hope he is pissed off, embarrassed, and has a great game next week. We need him to take over a game.

11) Losing Josh Reed really hurts. Hardy needs more work, and Parrish is more of a gimmick player than a legit #2 wideout. Sorry, it's the truth.

12) Yeah, this sucked, but a win next week would go far to erase this nightmare.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The pass rush sucked when he played. I hope that he'll make a difference, but I don't think that he will.

3. Dockery and Peters were both terrible, IMO.

5. Why no adjustments to give McGee some help? This reminded me of the Arizona game all over again - we were continually shredded by the same types of plays continually, but made no adjustments in response.

6. I really have nothing positive to say about Royal.

7. Agreed.

8. I thought that he was off for most of the day. Passes were late, and he held on to the ball too long.

10. I like Whitner...I really do. But is it too much to ask for him to make a play every now and then?

11. Agreed.

2) Yes it was---however, its easier to tell the media "we weren't prepared" instead of owning up to the fact that you can't beat anyone 1 on 1 against a mediocre at best OL...

3) Dockery gave about as half-hearted a block as you could give---I mean could you give LESS effort on your own goalline with an oncoming pass rusher who has just gotten inside the guy who was blocking him with you standing as the only person between him and the QB??

5) If that isn't an indictment on the faith the coaching staff has in Leodis McKelvin's cover abilities, I don't know what is---they would rather give up free 10-20 yard pass plays to a WR by playing an obviously injured McGee than put in a healthy 1st round pick...

6) Royal always has the key mistake at the most inappropriate time---today he fumbled the ball after converting a 3rd and 19 at the Dolphins 35, with the Bills driving to put some points on the board...

7) I don't see how McKelvin set all these records in college---the guy has the ability to read his blocks about as good as I do---just not very good at finding the lanes, unless there just aren't any, which might be the case too...

9) Oh you noticed that was a perfectly executed screen pass to Lynch with 3 blockers in front of him and not a Dolphin in sight too??

11) Reed is a key outside blocker and an exceptional 3rd down receiver---in fact he might be one of the best in the NFL at converting on 3rd down, fighting his way for the extra 2 or 3 yards he needs almost every time he is short of the marker when he catches it...you could tell how badly he was missed in the 2nd half of today's game---that will be a big loss if he can't play next week....

Disagree.

It's the right call because you want something out of your first drive once you get into the red zone. How would you have felt if they went for the TD on 4th down and didn't get it....already being behind 7-0?

Disagree....When you are that close and even if you don't make it, the Dolphins get the ball on their 1 yard line....The D could have made something happen there...Worst case you get a punt back in good field position.

Disagree to a point - he was fine until Reed went out. Reed gets open; Hardy doesn't. In fact, Hardy seems constitutionally incapable at this point in his career of separating from defenders. Reed going out was a huge loss, as was Parrish's weak performance. The only guy he could depend on was Evans and perhaps Lynch as an outlet (and even he dropped an easy one). Royal, Hardy, and Parrish were very weak.

Great post, Dave. Dead on. IMO, if Reed doesn't go out we win the game. He takes a lot of crap around here, but today we saw just what he means to this team. He's a wily, tough-nosed veteran, and, sadly, we have no replacement for him. A quality pass-catching TE would really take up some of that slack, but...that will just have to wait for next year. Hardy will come around, I'm sure, but, for now, we just don't have real depth at the position.

Bills Vet, get serious. You should be thrilled if the Bills go 11-5, because like many other NFL teams, they're flawed. If they go 5-2 in their next seven, that puts them at 10-4. Btw, if they didn't turn the ball over today, they probably would have won against a team that played well.

Finally, what sort of coaching mishaps are you referring to? The fact that their CBs can't cover because they're not good enough given that McGee isn't 100%? The fact that their DE corp minus Schoebel can't rush the passer?

P.S. If you really think the Dolphins are the same team as last year, then you need to watch more of them. They're an entirely different team, and they're a helluva lot better.

I refuse to assume Buffalo will see double digit wins. I look at the schedule before each season, same as you. I happen to think the first seven games of the season do nothing, absolutely nothing, to predict the remaining schedule. Yeah, they're 5-2, but that's only good if the season ended today and the teams with the best records moved into the post-season. Unfortunately, that's not the case, and the Bills will not ride their five wins into January.

As for coaching mishaps, who put together that gameplan, offense and defense? Pennington was killing a secondary that has been infused with no less than six draft picks on the roster from 06-08, and two starters from the TD regime. So DJ is helping pick the players who are now all poor in your mind? Which one is it, bad players or bad scheme? Either way, DJ and Fewell aren't getting it done.

Gameplanning is something that is at the heart of this game. Frankly, the Dolphins aren't a 1-15 team and we both know that. But they're not better than the Bills, home or away. Baltimore shellacked them last week, and they start a rookie QB. The Ravens stuffed the Wildcat, while we allowed that gimmick to get a couple first downs. I see Sparano getting more out of their roster than should be expected. They line up guys like Camarillo at WR, and nobodies in the secondary, yet still find ways to win.

What I'd like to know is, why do people so vehemently defend DJ? What has he done as HC to merit such praise and lack of criticism?

Ginn was the biggest reason we lost today. Wobbled throws five seconds in the air still found him wide open.

- This was the most unbelievable thing for me this game - not just that McGee was getting totally owned - but half those passes were fluttering up in the air for an eternity - how bad does the coverage have to be to not only have guys wide open with no one within 5 yards, but also with the ball floating in the breeze like a mylar balloon shaped like a football :lol::lol:

- It kills me these games where we can get no pressure from the front 4 and the QBs just stand back there and play toss and catch (River, Warner, Pennington....) that they don't do more things to bring pressure. It's not like dropping everyone back in coverage is actually stopping anything - usually positive plays come when they actually try to bring some pressure from different places and get after the damn QB

- 1st and goal from the 5 - you HAVE to punch in in from there

- It may have been in another lifetime - but wasn't there a time when McKelvin actually was good (dare say a weapon???) on returns? How is it possible for a kick returner to go from good to bad so quickly and dramatically?

- With Reed out we may have to see what Steve Johnson can do if Hardy can't show up. The one long pass to the sideline - it didn't just bounce of both his hands - he took his hands and pushed the ball straight up in the air like he was setting a volleyball - I'm not sure I've ever seen a receiver quite pull that manuever before..

- When Ginn turned Whitner around that was just plain embarrasing

- Tackling is not the only problem - it is incredible to see so many of our defenders being completely incapable of shedding blocks - so many times they just get pushed right out of plays without being able to hold their ground AT ALL and imposing even the slightest will on the play

- Bills loss and Jests and Pats* win - great - now I am really miserable and pissed - I'm sure I'll get over it though in a day or two :thumbsup:

I refuse to assume Buffalo will see double digit wins. I look at the schedule before each season, same as you. I happen to think the first seven games of the season do nothing, absolutely nothing, to predict the remaining schedule. Yeah, they're 5-2, but that's only good if the season ended today and the teams with the best records moved into the post-season. Unfortunately, that's not the case, and the Bills will not ride their five wins into January.

As for coaching mishaps, who put together that gameplan, offense and defense? Pennington was killing a secondary that has been infused with no less than six draft picks on the roster from 06-08, and two starters from the TD regime. So DJ is helping pick the players who are now all poor in your mind? Which one is it, bad players or bad scheme? Either way, DJ and Fewell aren't getting it done.

Gameplanning is something that is at the heart of this game. Frankly, the Dolphins aren't a 1-15 team and we both know that. But they're not better than the Bills, home or away. Baltimore shellacked them last week, and they start a rookie QB. The Ravens stuffed the Wildcat, while we allowed that gimmick to get a couple first downs. I see Sparano getting more out of their roster than should be expected. They line up guys like Camarillo at WR, and nobodies in the secondary, yet still find ways to win.

What I'd like to know is, why do people so vehemently defend DJ? What has he done as HC to merit such praise and lack of criticism?

I've said for a long time that I think they'll go 3-3 in the division. Beyond that, the road to 10 wins is very achievable. 5 of their next nine (NE-Jets-Miami plust the Niners and the Browns) are at home, and they play the Chiefs on the road. They'll most likely lose at Denver, NE, and NY, but I can't see them losing to the Chiefs. The Pats and Jets at home will be tough, but all things considered those should be wins. Miami in Toronto looks like a fairly easy win to me. Same with SF and Cleveland.

Re coaching, it is a fact that outside of Buffalo, most people who know something about the NFL regarded the fact that Bills won 7 games twice in 06 and 07 as nothing short of miraculous.

Drafting and coaching are entirely separate activities, by the way. For the record, I am waaaay underimpressed with McKelvin so far, but he'll probably improve. I sure hope so, because right now he's not an NFL starter. McGee is their best CB, and when he's 80%, that D is in a world of hurt.

- With Reed out we may have to see what Steve Jackson can do if Hardy can't show up.

Another great point. We don't really know, but, given Jauron's track record with personnel , we have to wonder if Steve Johnson might provide some help here. After all, how many extra games did we lose because we had Anthony Thomas starting while Fred Jackson rode the bench?

Not that our pass defense was good today, but Rivers had his worst game of the season, if I recall correctly. 2 of the last 3 games we got shredded would be more accurate.

Dan, Rivers went 22-29 for 208, 2 TDs, and 1 INT. His rating was 103.8. Sure, he blew it with the INT to Mitchell, but up until that point he had passed at will except for the one unforced error (the flub fumble).

I've said for a long time that I think they'll go 3-3 in the division. Beyond that, the road to 10 wins is very achievable. 5 of their next nine (NE-Jets-Miami plust the Niners and the Browns) are at home, and they play the Chiefs on the road. They'll most likely lose at Denver, NE, and NY, but I can't see them losing to the Chiefs. The Pats and Jets at home will be tough, but all things considered those should be wins. Miami in Toronto looks like a fairly easy win to me. Same with SF and Cleveland.

Re coaching, it is a fact that outside of Buffalo, most people who know something about the NFL regarded the fact that Bills won 7 games twice in 06 and 07 as nothing short of miraculous.

Drafting and coaching are entirely separate activities, by the way. For the record, I am waaaay underimpressed with McKelvin so far, but he'll probably improve. I sure hope so, because right now he's not an NFL starter. McGee is their best CB, and when he's 80%, that D is in a world of hurt.

If Buffalo goes 3-3 in the division, that's underwhelming to me, considering their start. Miami is not a playoff team, and the Jets and Patsies could become victims of the tight AFC playoff race. That said, there aren't many "should-win" games on the schedule. Even @KC won't be a cake-walk and after today's loss, I'm not going to assume any wins.

Buffalo overachieved with that barren roster in 06 and 07. But this year, that excuse is gone, along with the bad roster. Now, they've got some legit talent and losing today doesn't make me feel any better about the direction the team is going. They've lost 2 of 3, and looked outmatched, both on and off the field in both losses.

I group coaching and drafting together, because it's apparent DJ has a lot of say on draft day. That's fine, because he's the guy ultimately who has to win with those picks. But if it doesn't work, he's doubly to blame and not playing McKelvin at CB is a move that tells me a lot about a lack of faith. Whitner and Simpson both started as rookies two years ago in the wake of injuries. Why can't McKelvin play with McGee hurting?

People can keep making excuses for Peters but a lot sacks have come from Trent's blindside. Not all were Peters's fault, but Jason is not anywhere near the pass protector he was last year. Not even close.

On top of that, he's a highlight reel in run blocking. And that's not a compliment. He'll have 3 pancakes and then 3 plays where he whiffs on a LB who makes the tackle.

I watched him a lot today and he is not playing like a pro-bowler. He's the Bills best lineman. Also not a compliment.

If Buffalo goes 3-3 in the division, that's underwhelming to me, considering their start. Miami is not a playoff team, and the Jets and Patsies could become victims of the tight AFC playoff race. That said, there aren't many "should-win" games on the schedule. Even @KC won't be a cake-walk and after today's loss, I'm not going to assume any wins.

Buffalo overachieved with that barren roster in 06 and 07. But this year, that excuse is gone, along with the bad roster. Now, they've got some legit talent and losing today doesn't make me feel any better about the direction the team is going. They've lost 2 of 3, and looked outmatched, both on and off the field in both losses.

I group coaching and drafting together, because it's apparent DJ has a lot of say on draft day. That's fine, because he's the guy ultimately who has to win with those picks. But if it doesn't work, he's doubly to blame and not playing McKelvin at CB is a move that tells me a lot about a lack of faith. Whitner and Simpson both started as rookies two years ago in the wake of injuries. Why can't McKelvin play with McGee hurting?

It does seem to appear that McKelvin has a ways to go before he can start. He looks like a liability out there right now to me. Yobouty was out to, and while he's not great, when you take him out along with the fact that McGee isn't ready, the secondary is terrible. Greer is the only credible CB on the roster, and a guy like Pennington can pick a D apart if he has time. Which he had given that Schoebel, who has had a lot of success against Chad P, didn't play.

Btw, Pennington looked great today. He's a good guy, so props to him. I of course want him to lose the rest of the games he plays.

13) This is a perfect example of why I HATE the :thumbsup: Fish and always will. To the younger fans who questioned if the rivalry was dead, remember today.

Multiply the way you felt at the end of today's game by 50 times, and you will understand what many of us feel. :lol:

<sigh>

I know that the conventional wisdom is to take the 3 points on the road instead of trying to punch it into the endzone on 4th down, but I still wish they had tried. While risky, had it been successful, it could have deflated the crowd early.

I know that the conventional wisdom is to take the 3 points on the road instead of trying to punch it into the endzone on 4th down, but I still wish they had tried. While risky, had it been successful, it could have deflated the crowd early.

I agree. When you're that close and in good weather that early in the game you should go for it. I don't know how the same coach can kick for 3 there and then call 3 straight passes from your own end zone when you're running the ball pretty well.

It does seem to appear that McKelvin has a ways to go before he can start. He looks like a liability out there right now to me. Yobouty was out to, and while he's not great, when you take him out along with the fact that McGee isn't ready, the secondary is terrible. Greer is the only credible CB on the roster, and a guy like Pennington can pick a D apart if he has time. Which he had given that Schoebel, who has had a lot of success against Chad P, didn't play.

Btw, Pennington looked great today. He's a good guy, so props to him. I of course want him to lose the rest of the games he plays.

I think McKelvin would have been a far better option than, McGee, today. With the cushion that McGee needed to give, he just begged Chad to use it, all day.

To those that questioned Jauron taking the FG on the first drive, let me say this. I wish he would have gone for it. It would have made a statement (to both teams), IMO. But, as most have noted, he did what most coaches would do and what is considered to be "the right thing". I can't bash Dick for doing the right thing...you can if you want, but that seems ridiculous. If it was later in the game, then it is a different story.

But, I would have gone for it. Of course, I have no HC offers, either.

13) This is a perfect example of why I HATE the :sick: Fish and always will. To the younger fans who questioned if the rivalry was dead, remember today.

Multiply the way you felt at the end of today's game by 50 times, and you will understand what many of us feel. B-)

<sigh>

exacta-mundo :lol: