Peter King's mailbag

From Scott, of Buffalo: "Just curious, why do you think Brett Favre would veto a trade to Buffalo? The Bills have a solid line, a solid receiver in Lee Evans, a mountain of a rookie receiver to toss it up to in the red zone in James Hardy, a stud back in Marshawn Lynch and two solid slot receivers in Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish. Along with a much improved defense, the Bills are a definite playoff contender. Why would Favre not want to go there? I would think that the Bills would be the one nixing the trade as they are very confident in second-year man Trent Edwards.''

Honestly, Scott, if you had one last hurrah in pro football, and someone suggested that you should go to a team that appears to be on the rise but hasn't made the playoffs in nine years, would you want to go? I am bullish on the Bills and think they might be able to win nine this year. But it's not logical in the current power structure of the AFC to suggest they're ahead of New England, Indy, Jacksonville, San Diego ... and probably not ahead of Pittsburgh or Cleveland either.

Can't argue with his lojic.

King linkage

mods..feel free to merge with other Farve stuff if appropriate...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think highly of PK as an NFL insider but disgree with his 'lojic' here. The Bills -WITH FAVRE- would not be worse than Jax, Pitt or Cleveland, IMO. According to him, there's still two more playoff teams to consider in the AFC and a veteran QB added to the Bills is a helluva equalizer.

I think highly of PK as an NFL insider but disgree with his 'lojic' here. The Bills -WITH FAVRE- would not be worse than Jax, Pitt or Cleveland, IMO. According to him, there's still two more playoff teams to consider in the AFC and a veteran QB added to the Bills is a helluva equalizer.

Exactly. What ever happened to a player wanting to sign with a team to make THEM BETTER?

WITH FAVRE - I would agree the the Bills would not be worse than Jax, Pitt, or Cleveland. But I don't think PK's point was with Favre though, I think he just means as it stands now. You really can't argue that point, currently with TE's it's anyone's guess how good they will be. The Bills need to win games and prove themselves as contenders before you can be put in that position. The bottom line is no playoffs in 9 years. If I am an aging QB, with most likely 2 years left, I want to go to a team that is proven. Hopefully this is the year that puts Buffalo back on the playoff/contender chart....GO BILLS!!!!

I'll plead ignorance in regards to their market and the team they've put together right now, but how attractive an option would it be to play in Minnesota? That's a team that gets mentioned non-stop, even if King shot down that idea.

I'll plead ignorance in regards to their market and the team they've put together right now, but how attractive an option would it be to play in Minnesota? That's a team that gets mentioned non-stop, even if King shot down that idea.

Minnesota would be ideal for Farve. Better than 1/2 of his games indoors, team on the rise...top notch RB, strong D, what's not to love about Minny except the current QB.

But it's not logical in the current power structure of the AFC to suggest they're ahead of New England, Indy, Jacksonville, San Diego ... and probably not ahead of Pittsburgh or Cleveland either.

Yes, but Peter, isn't it the point that those teams you list ahead of the Bills have no need for a new starting QB? Favre would have no interest in going to any of those teams, because he wouldn't be the starter. But at least in Buffalo, he would have that chance, and in doing so perhaps push them a few ranks higher.

Not that I want Favre here, but it just seems like another of King's flimsy arguments.

Am I the only idiot around here expecting the Pats* to drop a significant notch this year? Seriously. Their OL was exposed a bit by the Giants, they're relying on a rookie LB to help that aging squad, the secondary is questionable...I dunno. I think a downturn is in order.

With Favre in the mix, it's entirely possible the Bills could give them a run for the division.

[/end homerism]

:thumbsup:

Yes, but Peter, isn't it the point that those teams you list ahead of the Bills have no need for a new starting QB? Favre would have no interest in going to any of those teams, because he wouldn't be the starter. But at least in Buffalo, he would have that chance, and in doing so perhaps push them a few ranks higher.

Not that I want Favre here, but it just seems like another of King's flimsy arguments.

This is a very good point, How can Brett go to a 2008 Super Bowl Contender when most if not all contenders do not need a QB. If they needed one they would not be clear contenders for the Super Bowl. Brett is going to have to go to a team that is on the edge. A team that looks like they may be a playoff team that he can make better. And I believe that team will have to be in the AFC, becuase the Packers are not going to make any NFC team better just to have that move bite them in the butt come playoff time.

Am I the only idiot around here expecting the Pats* to drop a significant notch this year? Seriously. Their OL was exposed a bit by the Giants, they're relying on a rookie LB to help that aging squad, the secondary is questionable...I dunno. I think a downturn is in order.

With Favre in the mix, it's entirely possible the Bills could give them a run for the division.

[/end homerism]

They can afford a 40% drop off from last year and still win 10 games. As far as their offensive line being exposed goes, I don't feel that way. The Giants had a superior pass rush last year. Maybe even one of the greatest of all-time. Not many teams will have their way with the Pats' O-line.

They are getting old though. Especially on defense. I also agree that their secondary is questionable.

[/end homerism]

Absolutely. The track record for teams coming off Super Bowl losses is not a good one. And we'll see if Brady can read defenses when he doesn't know 75% of the plays pre-snap. He might actually have to think, for the first time in his career. I'm expecting 9-10 wins at the most.

Can't argue with his lojic.

King linkage

mods..feel free to merge with other Farve stuff if appropriate...

Surely one can argue with his logic. In order for Favre to play, he must want to play on that team AND the team must want him and need him. All of those AFC teams he listed that are better than the Bills already have starting quarterbacks they like and would not even consider Favre, IMO, except perhaps Jax.

The media always predict last year's results, so the Patriots are still the best team in the AFC in July. Look at the Saints: in '06 they were good so sportswriters loved them last summer notwithstanding a tougher schedule, holes in the offense, etc.

[/end homerism]

I am with you...I think the Pats take some lumps this season. They still have to be favorites to win the division, but the gap will close some....

I guess this will not be a popular opinion

I have enjoyed watching Brett Farve in his career.....the guy is certainly a hall a famer in my book.

BUT

I DONT want to bring him in here.

- What is it that we hate so much about Trent Edwards that we feel the need to bring a guy in who doesn't even want to fight for a starting spot in order to earn it. If you told me that Brett actually wanted to come here and if Trent was simply better would be a great mentor to him and be there in case of an injury then fine.

- Why are we going to mess with TE's development.....we finally appear to have some sort of resemblence to a offensive line, a stud RB, a stretch the field wideout, and a dependable red zone target now we are going to take the reins away from the kid that we expressed our confidence in? Will the organization EVER learn that you just can shake, stir, and ready a QB they have to actually be put in a position of success and then not screwed with?

- Farve is OLD.....I seriously worry about his safety at this point as when you get older your bones are just not as strong as they were when they were younger.....yeah he was productive last year. But he also retired and then unretired and athletes can "get old overnight" so to speak.

- We are NOT going to the Super Bowl this year...I seriously believe this could be the year we end our playoff drought on a wildcard with a strong push next year but why bring in a guy who will simply retire after the season? Lets cultivate the young team we have.

- What exactly would be have to give up for him?

I dont know man....thats JMHO