Thank you, Mass Media

SilverNRed

When I heard earlier today that the Virgnia Tech killer had mailed pictures and video to NBC News in between the two shooting incidents, I thought to myself "I really wonder what was in there but I know it'll never see the light of day and rightly so. They just can't show that."

And I was relieved to know that I was right. After getting the package, NBC News recognized it as evidence and promptly turned it over to the authorities without airing whatever twisted videos and pictures that sick student wanted the world to see, or helping get out whatever awful message he was trying to send via mass murder. The last thing in the world the families of the victims need to see at a time like this are pictures of the killer brandishing guns, most likely the very guns he used in the shooting. Or video of the killer telling us that it was the fault of the victims that this happened. And of course, it would be completely irresponsible to reward sick freaks like this by giving them the exposure and attention they wanted all along by airing their homemade speechs and (for lack of a better term) publicity photos. So thank you for showing restraint and doing the right thing by not spreading this guy's garbage all over the TV and internet. Seriously, thank you.

Just kidding!

It took NBC News about 60 seconds to put Cho Seung-Hui's videos and pictures on the internet and Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, CBS, etc. couldn't follow fast enough. Did you lose a loved one on Monday? Well, here's a picture of the killer pointing the gun he used to punch a hole in your loved one right at the camera! WOW!!! Want video? Turns out it was your college student's fault too! Want a picture of the killer with two guns? Hell, he's everything he sent us! We figure it's the least we could do after he gave us such a great story. After he went through all the trouble of making creepy home movies and publicity photos and killing over 30 people, it's only right that he gets a forum on national television and his half-commando, half-Angel of Death photos in every newspaper in the world.

It's important for every sick, homicidal freak in the world to know that -- yes! -- you will be rewarded for killing people. You'll be more famous than you could possibly imagine. And whatever message you're trying to send, it'll get out there. No problem.

I'm sure every mass media outlet weighed the effect this could have on the families and decided -- too bad! -- this stuff is way too good not to publish or put on the airwaves/internet.

So congratulations, American journalists, you've proven again that you are some of the very worst people in the world. Not only have you shown a complete lack of judgement and empathy, but you've sent a clear message that you are willing to provide every sick, violent person in the world with a forum if they just give you a big enough story to tell. *Wink wink*

I'd love to say I'm surprised but I think it's safe to say these stories stop being about the victims just as soon as the cameras are on.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I heard earlier today that the Virgnia Tech killer had mailed pictures and video to NBC News in between the two shooting incidents, I thought to myself "I really wonder what was in there but I know it'll never see the light of day and rightly so. They just can't show that."

And I was relieved to know that I was right. After getting the package, NBC News recognized it as evidence and promptly turned it over to the authorities without airing whatever twisted videos and pictures that sick student wanted the world to see, or helping get out whatever awful message he was trying to send via mass murder. The last thing in the world the families of the victims need to see at a time like this are pictures of the killer brandishing guns, most likely the very guns he used in the shooting. Or video of the killer telling us that it was the fault of the victims that this happened. And of course, it would be completely irresponsible to reward sick freaks like this by giving them the exposure and attention they wanted all along by airing their homemade speechs and (for lack of a better term) publicity photos. So thank you for showing restraint and doing the right thing by not spreading this guy's garbage all over the TV and internet. Seriously, thank you.

Just kidding!

It took NBC News about 60 seconds to put Cho Seung-Hui's videos and pictures on the internet and Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, CBS, etc. couldn't follow fast enough. Did you lose a loved one on Monday? Well, here's a picture of the killer pointing the gun he used to punch a hole in your loved one right at the camera! WOW!!! Want video? Turns out it was your college student's fault too! Want a picture of the killer with two guns? Hell, he's everything he sent us! We figure it's the least we could do after he gave us such a great story. After he went through all the trouble of making creepy home movies and publicity photos and killing over 30 people, it's only right that he gets a forum on national television and his half-commando, half-Angel of Death photos in every newspaper in the world.

It's important for every sick, homicidal freak in the world to know that -- yes! -- you will be rewarded for killing people. You'll be more famous than you could possibly imagine. And whatever message you're trying to send, it'll get out there. No problem.

I'm sure every mass media outlet weighed the effect this could have on the families and decided -- too bad! -- this stuff is way too good not to publish or put on the airwaves/internet.

So congratulations, American journalists, you've proven again that you are some of the very worst people in the world. Not only have you shown a complete lack of judgement and empathy, but you've sent a clear message that you are willing to provide every sick, violent person in the world with a forum if they just give you a big enough story to tell. *Wink wink*

I'd love to say I'm surprised but I think it's safe to say these stories stop being about the victims just as soon as the cameras are on.

Agree 100%. And it's been airing non-stop.

Some little high school kid, that is upset because he got dumped by his girlfriend and thinks the world sucks, is probably writing his own script right now.

This world is so effed up right now. You go to work everyday to provide a nice quality of life for your family and hopefully you'll get a paragraph in a paper and some numbers on a piece of rock.

You kill 32 innocent students, you're forever immortalized. Sad. :beer:

Some little high school kid, that is upset because he got dumped by his girlfriend and thinks the world sucks, is probably writing his own script right now.

Heh, one of the people I work with said, "I know this isn't a popular stance, but this is proof why everyone should have sex in high school"

I thought to myself "I really wonder what was in there but I know it'll never see the light of day and rightly so. They just can't show that."

Please tell me that you didn't believe for a second that they would bury something like that if it exists.

And while we can appreciate your outrage, your detailed description of the video(s?) tells me that you've seen it/them. Since you actually sat there and watched it/them, I don't think you have a whole lot of room to decry the networks' willingness to carry them.

I had no idea such a thing existed until I saw your post, so maybe I should give the media a tongue-lashing. Unfortunately I don't have enough interest or respect for them to put teh effort into creating an interesting series of words.....

Please tell me that you didn't believe for a second that they would bury something like that if it exists.

And while we can appreciate your outrage, your detailed description of the video(s?) tells me that you've seen it/them. Since you actually sat there and watched it/them, I don't think you have a whole lot of room to decry the networks' willingness to carry them.

Detailed description? Guess what, genius, the photos I described are on the front pages of websites I mentioned. CNN.com has had the picture of the killer pointing his gun at the camera on their front page since this afternoon and it's still there right now. Foxnews.com alternated between that one and the one where he's holding two guns. ABCnews.com and msnbc.com showed the same pictures, along with another he took where he's about to swing a hammer.

The quotes? Those are also on those same front pages. You don't have to go out of your way to see this stuff. They're each bending over backwards to be the network of choice for your viewing pleasure when it comes to this sick !@#$.

And all these pages have links to the video if you really need to see that (which obviously no one does or should want to). Even yahoo.com has it on their front page. I clicked CNN's just to see if they were really running unedited video from this guy and they were, so I closed it.

If you want news on the shootings, or news on anything else in the world, the first thing you're going to see when you visit these websites is: here are the photos, here are the quotes, and here is the video. You can't avoid it.

They're wrong for making it available in any case. They're extra wrong for shoving it in people's faces.

I had no idea such a thing existed until I saw your post
Then do me a favor and don't tell me about my comments on something you didn't know existed until I told you.

Looks like someone has "not been watching Olberman" again!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Good post.

Being somewhat of a news junkie, I was struck yesterday how incredibly uninterested I was in hearing any details about the "Va Tech Massacre"...32 people killed by a nut with a weapon (or weapons) he didn't need to have...that was all I needed to know. Anything beyond that is just overkill.

I haven't become desensitized. I feel horrible for the people who were present, will have to live that day over and over again, the rest of their lives...I feel horrible for the families that lost loved ones. I don't need to know anything more. Nothing that can come out, after the fact, will make this senseless event make any sense at all.

After Columbine, the police only released the videos, writings, etc. of the killers ~ a year later and only b/c they were forced to by FOIA. There is such a thing as respecting the families. Giving airtime to this, especially so soon, is sick. It is policy for most orgs not to air so-called martyrdom tapes; that is what it was, same look, same feel, same tone of blaming others for problems w/in himself. 'Journalism ethics' classes only taught the creeps how to justify actually airing this crap and giving him what he wanted.

Being somewhat of a news junkie, I was struck yesterday how incredibly uninterested I was in hearing any details about the "Va Tech Massacre"...32 people killed by a nut with a weapon (or weapons) he didn't need to have...that was all I needed to know. Anything beyond that is just overkill.

I haven't become desensitized. I feel horrible for the people who were present, will have to live that day over and over again, the rest of their lives...I feel horrible for the families that lost loved ones. I don't need to know anything more. Nothing that can come out, after the fact, will make this senseless event make any sense at all.

Same thing here, minus a needed debate of the allowing of non-citizens to purchase firearms.

Our media is pathetic! Just this week-Imus, awful VTech coverage, 24/7 bio of that piece of sh-- killer, and American Idol. No wonder Americans are so stupid :beer:

I know..in one week Imus gets fired, 32 people get killed at VT by a crazed psycho...and Sanjiya is eliminated from American Idol. Sure sign of the Apocalypse. At least the rule of 3 as to major catastrophes has been fulfilled.

Unless it's a very notable personage, the media won't print the name of a suicide because they know it can cause other cases, be it because they were inspired to do so by the coverage or they wanted some macabre attention.

NBC is currently wringing their hands...tears dripping into their wallets.

Another tidbit of media hypocrisy: They work diligently to report a bomb threat anywhere...unless it's a media outlet that was threatened. If a tv station in your area got a threat, the other stations will not report it, lest they too get a threat.

Of course, they're always up for bashing Christianity...

Oh, the local radio here reports 3 instances of spray paint vandalism about town "Kill Cho's Family"...

I agree that it's pretty tasteless to give this guy the attention he was looking for but we theoretically have a free society, and a free press, so I get nervous when other people start suggesting that they know what is good or "right" for me to see.

RTB

I found out about videos and pictures getting sent to NBC by listening to a local radio station and Opie and Anthony this morning on my way to work, they kept playing clips of it and I have to agree, he sounds like Napolean Dynamite.

They also kept playing the clip of the NBC news anchor saying that they received the envelope and turned it right over to police (as soon as they made their copies of course) and how they are being sensitive about airing it, then showing it about 50 times 2 days after it happened