Thank you, Mass Media

SilverNRed

When I heard earlier today that the Virgnia Tech killer had mailed pictures and video to NBC News in between the two shooting incidents, I thought to myself "I really wonder what was in there but I know it'll never see the light of day and rightly so. They just can't show that."

And I was relieved to know that I was right. After getting the package, NBC News recognized it as evidence and promptly turned it over to the authorities without airing whatever twisted videos and pictures that sick student wanted the world to see, or helping get out whatever awful message he was trying to send via mass murder. The last thing in the world the families of the victims need to see at a time like this are pictures of the killer brandishing guns, most likely the very guns he used in the shooting. Or video of the killer telling us that it was the fault of the victims that this happened. And of course, it would be completely irresponsible to reward sick freaks like this by giving them the exposure and attention they wanted all along by airing their homemade speechs and (for lack of a better term) publicity photos. So thank you for showing restraint and doing the right thing by not spreading this guy's garbage all over the TV and internet. Seriously, thank you.

Just kidding!

It took NBC News about 60 seconds to put Cho Seung-Hui's videos and pictures on the internet and Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, CBS, etc. couldn't follow fast enough. Did you lose a loved one on Monday? Well, here's a picture of the killer pointing the gun he used to punch a hole in your loved one right at the camera! WOW!!! Want video? Turns out it was your college student's fault too! Want a picture of the killer with two guns? Hell, he's everything he sent us! We figure it's the least we could do after he gave us such a great story. After he went through all the trouble of making creepy home movies and publicity photos and killing over 30 people, it's only right that he gets a forum on national television and his half-commando, half-Angel of Death photos in every newspaper in the world.

It's important for every sick, homicidal freak in the world to know that -- yes! -- you will be rewarded for killing people. You'll be more famous than you could possibly imagine. And whatever message you're trying to send, it'll get out there. No problem.

I'm sure every mass media outlet weighed the effect this could have on the families and decided -- too bad! -- this stuff is way too good not to publish or put on the airwaves/internet.

So congratulations, American journalists, you've proven again that you are some of the very worst people in the world. Not only have you shown a complete lack of judgement and empathy, but you've sent a clear message that you are willing to provide every sick, violent person in the world with a forum if they just give you a big enough story to tell. *Wink wink*

I'd love to say I'm surprised but I think it's safe to say these stories stop being about the victims just as soon as the cameras are on.

Well said. Also as you said SnR, i dont even want to watch the video, but i got the same level of info from just seeing the home pages of many news sites. You've got no choice. Absolutely !@#$ing pathetic that they give this douchebag exactly what he wanted.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. Also are you said SnR, i dont even want to watch the video, but i got the same level of info from just seeing the home pages of many news sites. You've got no choice. Absolutely !@#$ing pathetic that they give this douchebag exactly what he wanted.

They were still showing the video on CNN Headline News this morning, and presumably on other news channels as well. But it's OK, because they were using "sad reporter voice" when they introduced it. Of course they also used "sad reporter voice" to talk about the Don Imus Crisis last week so you know they really couldn't care less.

And as of right now, the killer's homemade publicity photos are still on the front page of CNN.com, MSNBC.com, and ABCnews.com (which has a new version of the one where he's pointing the gun directly at the camera). Buffalonews.com also had one of the pictures front and center.

I guess they figure they have to milk this for all it's worth for as long as they can because "opportunities" like this don't come along very often. :beer:

Is there anyone here that actually believed NBC wouldn't air this stuff? Particularly when they're the only ones that have it, and get to scoop EVERYONE else?

I'm as shocked and outraged at a media source acting like the media as I was the other day to find out that the Queen of England acts like royalty.

They were still showing the video on CNN Headline News this morning, and presumably on other news channels as well. But it's OK, because they were using "sad reporter voice" when they introduced it. Of course they also used "sad reporter voice" to talk about the Don Imus Crisis last week so you know they really couldn't care less.

And as of right now, the killer's homemade publicity photos are still on the front page of CNN.com, MSNBC.com, and ABCnews.com (which has a new version of the one where he's pointing the gun directly at the camera). Buffalonews.com also had one of the pictures front and center.

I guess they figure they have to milk this for all it's worth for as long as they can because "opportunities" like this don't come along very often. :wallbash:

I actually just saw a CBC report in which they said they wouldn't show the video because they feel it encourages more people to do this kind of stuff. There you go SNR, you agree with Canadiens. Prepare to be chasticized by crayonz.

Pernicious asshattery at its finest.

Did the media glorify the sick bastard that killed all the people from the Austin clocktower back in the 60s?

No.

What this kid needed was a good asskicking. I mean the kind that leaves him crippled for life. Not this demi-godhood he's inherited.

Maybe I am a contrarian, I am interested to find out what in this kid's life set him off. He clearly was insane. Nevertheless, there appear to be clues in the package that he sent over to NBC. The more we learn about this guy, the more society may be able to do something about the next guy.

As for the "mass media" rant, as best as I can tell, every network I watched last night (including Fox) showed pictures of Cho from the package he sent to NBC and/or recounted what Cho had to say. It also is all over the Drudge Report.

Maybe I am a contrarian, I am interested to find out what in this kid's life set him off. He clearly was insane. Nevertheless, there appear to be clues in the package that he sent over to NBC. The more we learn about this guy, the more society may be able to do something about the next guy.

As for the "mass media" rant, as best as I can tell, every network I watched last night (including Fox) showed pictures of Cho from the package he sent to NBC and/or recounted what Cho had to say. It also is all over the Drudge Report.

You want a news flash? you'll never stop a psychotic from doing psychotic things short of locking him or her in a rubber room for life.

Maybe I am a contrarian, I am interested to find out what in this kid's life set him off.

You know, the preliminary interviews with his college suite-mates were interesting. Everyone was making a big deal because he kept to himself, avoided conversation by responding with one-word answers, and was often found sitting at his desk in his room by himself staring at the wall. There were at least five guys like that in my dorm.

You want a news flash? you'll never stop a psychotic from doing psychotic things short of locking him or her in a rubber room for life.

Newsflash, not all psychotics go out and kill 30+ people at a University or anywhere else. Wouldn't be nice to find out what made Cho tick so to speak.

You know, the preliminary interviews with his college suite-mates were interesting. Everyone was making a big deal because he kept to himself, avoided conversation by responding with one-word answers, and was often found sitting at his desk in his room by himself staring at the wall. There were at least five guys like that in my dorm.

Hell, I was like that. Still am, sometimes. I haven't killed anyone yet.

Day's not over, of course...

Newsflash, not all psychotics go out and kill 30+ people at a University or anywhere else. Wouldn't be nice to find out what made Cho tick so to speak.

Probably because of their particular delusion, Dr. Freud.

This guy had delusions of persecution. Those tend to be the ones that go bang.

You are right. We all have come across people who have been like that.

You made me think of something I was thinking about last night. Sean Hannity (and everyone else) was making a big deal about the play that Cho wrote. Obviously, it was pretty creepy -- but no more so (and much less than) most of Quentin Tarantino's movies.

After Columbine, the police only released the videos, writings, etc. of the killers ~ a year later and only b/c they were forced to by FOIA. There is such a thing as respecting the families. Giving airtime to this, especially so soon, is sick. It is policy for most orgs not to air so-called martyrdom tapes; that is what it was, same look, same feel, same tone of blaming others for problems w/in himself. 'Journalism ethics' classes only taught the creeps how to justify actually airing this crap and giving him what he wanted.

Same thing here, minus a needed debate of the allowing of non-citizens to purchase firearms.

From what I know, Cho was as citizen...

Probably because of their particular delusion, Dr. Freud.

This guy had delusions of persecution. Those tend to be the ones that go bang.

Actually, it pretty much sounds like he was persecuted. But no worse than a whole lot of other high school students (no worse than I was, for sure). He just handled it "poorly", and apparently had a very active and unrealistic fantasy life.

Which again, is pretty much typical (witness the Columbine shooters), and pretty much not an indicator (again, I handled high school poorly, and had an active fantasy life - though not nearly as active as Cho or the Columbine shooters, it seems. And again, haven't killed anyone yet.)