A nice rebuttal to the fools at ESPN

ESPN RIPS THE BILLS

We haven't watched many of the "On the Clock" segments that have been aired on SportsCenter over the past few weeks. Primarily because we rarely watch SportsCenter. Primarily because SportsCenter has become unwatchable for anyone older than 15 who has an IQ higher than 16.

But we saw Sunday's "On the Clock" feature regarding the Buffalo Bills, and we were shocked at how mercilessly Chris Mortensen, Darren Woodson, and Mel Kiper Jr. trashed the franchise.

They focused primarily on the fact that four veterans are now gone -- running back Willis McGahee, linebacker London Fletcher-Baker-Robbins-Oppenheim-and-Taft, cornerback Nate Clements, and linebacker Takeo Spikes. And the trio suggested that the franchise is merely cutting payroll, possibly in advance of a sale of the team.

But they completely ignored the fact that the Bills paid big money to defensive end Chris Kelsay and offensive linemen Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery.

In our view, the piece was fully out of balance, and we were shocked that none of those three guys presented a more accurate view of the team.

First of all, McGahee was moved because McGahee wanted out. Destined to be a free agent in 2008, the Bills got what they could for him now, which was a package including two first-day picks. Though they might have been able to get Clements to take Derrick Dockery money in the fall of 2006, we can't fault the Bills for not getting into the overbidding for Clements in March. He is a solid corner but no Champ Bailey. The Niners clearly overpaid.

As to the two linebackers who aren't there anymore, well, they're both on the old side -- and Spikes possibly is on the down side.

Getting dissed is fine and dandy for the Bills. It's always better to be among the overlooked NFL franchises, since it's easier to catch the teams that are supposed to be "better" on paper off guard.

Depending on whether they can get a top-notch tailback in round one, we think the Bills will be a factor in 2007. Even if the guys at ESPN are ready to write them off.

Then again, it was Mel Kiper who suggested prior to the 2001 season that the Patriots could be the first team in NFL history to go 0-16. Mel was only a little bit off in his assessment.

yeah i read that this morning.very nice to see an objective response to chris douche mortensen.i don't get chris.he must be td's lover or something and feels jilted that we fired his boyfriend.even if the bills play good this year and make the playoffs.chris will write a article how the bills only had a good year because td had the foresight to draft j.p and lee evans.

i would prefer to be low on the list of teams that espn prefers to ball wash. seems like everyone they glorify seems to crash during the season a la the dallas cowboys. pft is right, sportscenter has become totally unwatchable which really sucks as it's one of the few outlets to watch sports 24/7.

You know what, and I know I will get trashed for this, but I have come around on Florio and PFT. It is what it is--part parody; part speculation; part BS and enough good content mixed in to make it worthwhile. I know its about as accurate as Ricky Vaughn pre-spectacles sometimes--but take it for what its worth-its okay.

i would prefer to be low on the list of teams that espn prefers to ball wash. seems like everyone they glorify seems to crash during the season a la the dallas cowboys. pft is right, sportscenter has become totally unwatchable which really sucks as it's one of the few outlets to watch sports 24/7.

These guys mainly pay attention to the larger market teams because that pays their salaries. Last year, according to these putz heads the Bills couldn't possibly better their record from the year before. Oh well, so much for that bit of idiotic prognostication.

The facts are that Spikes is injured and on the wrong side of thirty and would have been a $4.5 million hit against the cap. Holcomb and Spikes were gone after June 1st anyway. Levy pulled Walker and a draft pick out of thin air for them. Nobody notices that. McGhahee was unhappy in Buffalo and wanted a big contract extension. He has bad knees and isn't a great RB even when healthy. He would have been gone after this season anyway and Buffalo got a seventh and two third rounders for him. Nobody notices that either. If a similar thing had happened in Washington or New York or Dallas or yada yada yada. They would be touting how smart these moves were. If the Bills take a RB in the second round he'll probably have a better season than McGahee just due to the upgrades on the OL.

They also don't understand that a lot of improvement will come from within the team. Marv Levy has said the biggest jump in a players development comes from year one to year two. If that's true of Buffalo's players then the team will improve at those positions. Probably not all of them but enough.

It's funny to see projected draft picks from these guys too. They don't take into account Buffalo's criteria of high character and intelligence in drafting. They come up with stupid ideas of who they will choose. They criticized last years draft and it looks pretty good right now. They said Buffalo could have dropped down a little and gotten another draft pick and still gotten Whitner. It would have been a seventh round pick, whoopee, and that wouldn't be worth the risk of losing Whitner for.

When pundits are discussing abilities of teams, they do not take into consideration money. They are only looking at the players on the roster. They are not looking at the future, or salary cap. Frankly, even though each of the individual moves the Bills have made may have been the right one, which has yet to be determined and only a homer would believe each one will work out for the best, the team has lost a little more talent than it has gained. On a 7-9 team. It has several holes and two HUGE holes. And every other team gets to draft and improve themselves, too. The moves we made could be the right one, and I like the way the team is going, but the fact is we lost a lot of talent and gained two solid players.

yay, it must be cold in Hades today ... we're using Pffffttt to mke us feel better about our team. That site, which most of us bash mercilessly for their rumor mongering and inane analysis, now becomes the bastion of impartiality. Having PFT think we may be competitive is NOT a reason for me to feel better about my team.

Count me crazy but I'll wait and see how Fewell adjusts to life without Clements and whether McNally really knows how to turn Langston Walker from a turnstile into a solid right tackle and if we can draft a difference maker like Willis and if we can trade no more than a 2nd for Turner. Lots of questions ahead that need answers before I drink the Koolaid.

When pundits are discussing abilities of teams, they do not take into consideration money. They are only looking at the players on the roster. They are not looking at the future, or salary cap. Frankly, even though each of the individual moves the Bills have made may have been the right one, which has yet to be determined and only a homer would believe each one will work out for the best, the team has lost a little more talent than it has gained. On a 7-9 team. It has several holes and two HUGE holes. And every other team gets to draft and improve themselves, too. The moves we made could be the right one, and I like the way the team is going, but the fact is we lost a lot of talent and gained two solid players.

That's about as fair as it gets Kelly. I thought the segment was particularly harsh, but when one of them becomes Nostradamus, I'll listen more. Woodson, well, outside of being a former player, doesn't have much in the way of credentials to me. I don't know why we're putting so much stock into what these three stooges have said. Time will tell.

yay, it must be cold in Hades today ... we're using Pffffttt to mke us feel better about our team. That site, which most of us bash mercilessly for their rumor mongering and inane analysis, now becomes the bastion of impartiality. Having PFT think we may be competitive is NOT a reason for me to feel better about my team.

Count me crazy but I'll wait and see how Fewell adjusts to life without Clements and whether McNally really knows how to turn Langston Walker from a turnstile into a solid right tackle and if we can draft a difference maker like Willis and if we can trade no more than a 2nd for Turner. Lots of questions ahead that need answers before I drink the Koolaid.

i'm not using pft to make me feel better, i'm just glad to see another publication kind of respond to the biased bashing that espn lays on us every chance they get. as far as i'm concerned, pft is becoming more credible than espn is. espn has been taking credit for "breaking" news stories even though other publications have reported them long before espn did.

i agree that we have to wait to see how fewell adjusts with the new lineup he will be working with as well as mcnally. but, like i said before, it's just nice to have a little bit of a more optimistic outlook from some observers, even if it is from pft.

And what difference did he make? Lousy average per carry or sub par touchdowns or not knowing the downs? McGahee was a schmuck. You are correct that he is a difference maker: there will be improvment in the running game this year with him gone.

And what difference did he make? Lousy average per carry or sub par touchdowns or not knowing the downs? McGahee was a schmuck. You are correct that he is a difference maker: there will be improvment in the running game this year with him gone.

I meant Patrick Willis the linebacker. I see Willis more like Bennett and Poz more like Conlan - both good, but Patrick seems more explosive.

You know what, and I know I will get trashed for this, but I have come around on Florio and PFT. It is what it is--part parody; part speculation; part BS and enough good content mixed in to make it worthwhile. I know its about as accurate as Ricky Vaughn pre-spectacles sometimes--but take it for what its worth-its okay.

I happen to think Florio is excellent too. He has been very critical of the Bills at times (hence a lot of the hatred for him at TBD), but his opinions are formed going beyond the headlines. He was critical of Tom Donohoe, through most of the TD's tenure in Buffalo. That was when "we" (Bills fans) started hating him. But, you know what, all in all, he was right. Listen to his segments on GR, during the football season, and I think he comes off pretty fair. He gives the Bills credit when it is due, for the little, subtle things the experts at ESPN never mention. IIRC, Florio was one of the very few who thought the Bills made a wise decision in hiring Dick Jaouron. Florio resisted the temptation, like so many at the time, of writing Jauron off as another "retread".

I absolutely HATE Mortensen. The On The Clock segment was absolutely terrible. It's almost like these guys just look down transaction lists to see people they recognize. We got rid of everone or a reason:

McGahee- Terrible attitude, overrated, overhyped

Spikes- ACL anyone? He's on the wrong side of 30

Fletcher-Chases runners down instead of attacking them at the line, old

Clements-80 million reasons

Also to Kelly and vet. The guys on that segment were talking about MONEY in the segment. Complaining that the Bills don't resign their young talent MUST take the amount they signed for into account.

On a whole, the segment was amateur at best and boring. It didn't seem like they knew anything about the team. Although I would be happy if our first 2 rds wound up as Kiper predicted. I's be even happier if we used our 2nd to get a Turner.

Great post, and I agree completely that the guys at ESPN don't earn their salaries. They attack the Bills because they're an easy target, but they don't do their homework. EVER! PFT gives a very fair assessment here, of both the Bills and ESPN. Mortensen is just a Donahoe shill and Kiper...Kiper always was, always has been, and always will be, a joke. He's not a scout or an analyst, he's a guy who was hired by ESPN for his ability to keep his mouth running and memorize minutiae. That's why his early season predictions are always way off, and his mock drafts are always outperformed by amateur hacks on the Web.

ESPN RIPS THE BILLS

We haven't watched many of the "On the Clock" segments that have been aired on SportsCenter over the past few weeks. Primarily because we rarely watch SportsCenter. Primarily because SportsCenter has become unwatchable for anyone older than 15 who has an IQ higher than 16.

But we saw Sunday's "On the Clock" feature regarding the Buffalo Bills, and we were shocked at how mercilessly Chris Mortensen, Darren Woodson, and Mel Kiper Jr. trashed the franchise.

They focused primarily on the fact that four veterans are now gone -- running back Willis McGahee, linebacker London Fletcher-Baker-Robbins-Oppenheim-and-Taft, cornerback Nate Clements, and linebacker Takeo Spikes. And the trio suggested that the franchise is merely cutting payroll, possibly in advance of a sale of the team.

But they completely ignored the fact that the Bills paid big money to defensive end Chris Kelsay and offensive linemen Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery.

In our view, the piece was fully out of balance, and we were shocked that none of those three guys presented a more accurate view of the team.

First of all, McGahee was moved because McGahee wanted out. Destined to be a free agent in 2008, the Bills got what they could for him now, which was a package including two first-day picks. Though they might have been able to get Clements to take Derrick Dockery money in the fall of 2006, we can't fault the Bills for not getting into the overbidding for Clements in March. He is a solid corner but no Champ Bailey. The Niners clearly overpaid.

As to the two linebackers who aren't there anymore, well, they're both on the old side -- and Spikes possibly is on the down side.

Getting dissed is fine and dandy for the Bills. It's always better to be among the overlooked NFL franchises, since it's easier to catch the teams that are supposed to be "better" on paper off guard.

Depending on whether they can get a top-notch tailback in round one, we think the Bills will be a factor in 2007. Even if the guys at ESPN are ready to write them off.

Then again, it was Mel Kiper who suggested prior to the 2001 season that the Patriots could be the first team in NFL history to go 0-16. Mel was only a little bit off in his assessment.

I want to know how WM was a security blanket for JP when Willis didn't even know the plays, did block well, and didn't run well.

And was a below-average receiver.

And it's apparent that ESPN's current position towards the Bills is about TD, just as PFT's former position was. But in the end, the media can suck it.

Spikes- ACL anyone? He's on the wrong side of 30

On a whole, the segment was amateur at best and boring. It didn't seem like they knew anything about the team. Although I would be happy if our first 2 rds wound up as Kiper predicted.

Make that the achilles tendon....

This was the only thing of value from the segment, however, everyone knows the Bills need a MLB and a RB.

I would be happy if those were the first two picks, though.

Put in that light, I think I may agree, Joe. Florio's "scoops" aren't worth squat, and I think he frequently lies about info. But, take the stuff for what it's worth and there are occasional nuggets.

But, to the others, just don't think PFT is some great site because the stuck up for our Bills.

Put in that light, I think I may agree, Joe. Florio's "scoops" aren't worth squat, and I think he frequently lies about info. But, take the stuff for what it's worth and there are occasional nuggets.

But, to the others, just don't think PFT is some great site because the stuck up for our Bills.

80% of his scoops come from scanning local papers and calling out the content on his site first...on the stuff where he speculates -- his track record is somewhere just slightly above the Soprano Line...

His sense of humor however rivals my own sophomoric sense of humor--

Lenny P from ESPN is Lenny pass the potatoes

Theismann is Joey Sunshine

Vince Young is Uncle Rico

Michael Vick is Ron Mexico

Kellen Winslow, Jr. was Evil Knievel

And the ugly mash up photos are funny stuff...the Bang cartoons are funnier but Florio's updates are more frequent

Agreed. If you don't take it too seriously or treat it like the paper of record, it's more entertaining than its erstwhile competition. I always check it out, but take what they say with a grain of salt. To be honest, I don't even go to the espn page anymore. Regardless of whether they like the Bills or not, it's simply a poor news site. The only real stories they post are AP ones, not their own, which are few and far between. The only newshound they have, Pasquarelli, has real flaws as analyst and is a terrible prose stylist. Also, much of his stuff isn't free.

I like the SI site for Don Banks and Dr. Z. CBS is weak, unless you're a diehard Jacksonville fan. The NFL site is getting better, and may actually become half decent in the future (still doubtful, however). I never really check out the Fox and TSN sites. I used to, but they're pretty weak in the free information/news department these days. PFW continues to flounder since the death of Buchsbaum, and while Hub Arkush has connections, he's not much of a reporter or analyst. As for the rest of their "reporters", they're at about the same level as an average-to-pretty good poster on this board.

As I get older and learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, I find myself going to SI and PFT when it comes to the national sites (local newspapers are a different issue). The other national sites really don't offer much.

Anyone who dares criticize the Bills or predict a poor season for them = douche

Keep them blinders on boys!

progs---i don't know if it's about wearing blinders. objectively, why willis mcgahee isn't roundly criticized as a football player who lacks heart is beyond me. give the guy props for rehabbing the knee, sure, but in the modern era of "what have you done for me lately...", i see a guy who personally acknowledged playing at less than 100%. he actually came out and suggested that lack of social motivation for him equates to lack of desire to commit 100% for the franchise. he's ricky williams without the dreads and ganga. oh, and without the gaudy stats that really make him attractive as a player even though he's a head case. starting at little league/pop warner and beyond---does anyone want to keep a guy who doesn't want to be there? as a sports journalist, how can that not be part of the story? much has been written about london and his impact defensively, but he is an older 'backer, and older players are routinely given the opportunity to walk without big paydays. as for spikes, God Love him, he's a gamer but also a guy who acknowledged with class that the scheme we're playing in Buffalo doesn't fit his style as well as the one they play in Phillie (never mind the salary hit and torn achilles). i think it's fair to question the leadership void created by the departure of fletcher and spikes, it's fair to suggest a motivated mcgahee might be a factor in baltimore, and to question how we fix what ails us in WNY. but suggesting we're selling everything at garage sale prices and doing nothing to get better smacks of crappy journalism.

and these aren't blinders..they are sunglasses.

I agree on most counts, especially on the fact that we lost or rather let go talennted players. However, the question that has to be asked is " Are their talents suited to our style of play?". Fletcher was not making plays at the line of scrimmage. It can be said that the fault lies with the line in front of him, but the coaching staff obviously didn't think so. Clements was a salary casualty. The money I think was better spent on upgrading the offensive line. TKO is still recovering from his achilles injury. At a position which requires speed quickness and agility, it is very hard to say that a player who missed one season due to rehab, and spent most of the next season trying to regain his previous abilities and suffering assorted nagging injuries, is going to be effective for you in year three. McGahee was not a premier back at the college level except for one year at Miami, then suffered his devastating injury. When he returned to the field of play he was a demon possessed to get that starting position. Once secured he was not the same rb, and did not want to play here or be an integral part of the organization as shown by his unwillingness to train with his teammates here. How else do you learn to run behind your blockers to maximum effect, even if they are not all pros. We are building a team that depends upon each other, not one to merely send people to the pro bowl. Team play with players suited to your style will have a better chance to get to the super bowl, than a team filled with highly talented individuals that didn't even get us to the playoffs in the last 7 years. IMHO

yeah i read that this morning.very nice to see an objective response to chris douche mortensen.i don't get chris.he must be td's lover or something and feels jilted that we fired his boyfriend.even if the bills play good this year and make the playoffs.chris will write a article how the bills only had a good year because td had the foresight to draft j.p and lee evans.

Can we enlist Mort to be one of those body bags that the DL players hit in practice?

They focused primarily on the fact that four veterans are now gone -- running back Willis McGahee, linebacker London Fletcher-Baker-Robbins-Oppenheim-and-Taft,

Am I the only one that found that to be a little more funny than it was intended?

:w00t: