gandy out at LT, peters to LT, reyes benched ...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Butler was a hot head underachiever while at UVA. He also tended to rely on being bigger than everyone else while playing. Anybody with an ounce of speed can get by him. He is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

I don't know anything about Pennington, but I about lost my lunch when we drafted Butler.

I'm all for trying a different combo on the OL.  It is clear that the current group wasn't working, so why not.  They now have two weeks to work together as a unit before their first game.

815521[/snapback]

Yep. Although I'd guess that GB might set and rush a DE a bit wider than usual to try to draw the inexperienced Peters out, and rush or blitz the gap. Dunno.

I'm all for trying a different combo on the OL.  It is clear that the current group wasn't working, so why not.  They now have two weeks to work together as a unit before their first game.

815521[/snapback]

Yep. This is the perfect time to try something like this. Let's see what we have in Pennington and in Peters at LT. The season is shot anyway, you might as well find out as much about your young players as you can. It's the same logic as keeping JP in as starter no matter what. We just gotta know as much as possible what we got to help with offseason decisions. Honestly, this move of switching up the OL has me excited as a fan again about the season. Imagine if Peters excels (very possible) at LT and Pennington can handle RT (unlikely, but possible).

This says it all from the buffalobills press release:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310

The coaching staff is high on the rookie Pennington. Despite being a seventh-round pick the offensive staff likes his physical tools which includes 36-inch arms that can help a young pass protector in steering pass rushers around the pocket. Pennington has been the team's third tackle all season as it has been him and not fifth-round pick Brad Butler who has been active most Sundays.

815468[/snapback]

Haven't really seen TP in a live game situation - but I can say that at the couple practices at training camp I went to this year he impressed me with his mobility - he was very fluid moving around.

Change is good, however, this is a major change. I think moving Gandy to left guard and Peters to left tackle is a good move. But Pennington, a guy that hasn't played at all moving to the right tackle? Oh my, I wonder if we are going to max protect a lot of the time. If we continue to lose, I am still pulling for Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin to come in and play left tackle for us and move Peters to the right side again.

Yep.  This is the perfect time to try something like this.  Let's see what we have in Pennington and in Peters at LT.  The season is shot anyway, you might as well find out as much about your young players as you can.  It's the same logic as keeping JP in as starter no matter what.  We just gotta know as much as possible what we got to help with offseason decisions.  Honestly, this move of switching up the OL has me excited as a fan again about the season.  Imagine if Peters excels (very possible) at LT and Pennington can handle RT (unlikely, but possible).

815535[/snapback]

I completely agree. And what I like most about it...

1) It shows the coaches aren't happy with what they're seeing either and they're not afraid to do something about it.

2) It shows they realize that although JO hasn't been playing well, they understand that putting all the problems on one scapegoat isn't the solution and you can't just plug in a new QB and solve the offensive problems.

Now, hopefully they'll do something about that Cover-Who defense.

Change is good, however, this is a major change.  I think moving Gandy to left guard and Peters to left tackle is a good move.  But Pennington, a guy that hasn't played at all moving to the right tackle?  Oh my, I wonder if we are going to max protect a lot of the time.  If we continue to lose, I am still pulling for Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin to come in and play left tackle for us and move Peters to the right side again.

815548[/snapback]

Well, because of injuries, many teams have to shuffle the OL deck. Doing this with the extra reps afforded by a bye week is a nice luxury.

yeah i love the shakeup and i am only joking around now,but they get two weeks to practice this new o-line scheme and what has me worried is they will never really know if they are doing good because they will be practicing against our d-line lol lol....but i really do like the moves..go bills

Correction: This team has already turned into an utter disaster. The good news is that it looks like the coaches recognize this and are attempting to right the ship...

815573[/snapback]

Exactly. and right or wrong.... it's effort. And I applaud any effort to fix the mess. Mistakes are excusable, inaction is not.

Well, we can certainly get worse.  As bad as our line play has been, I still think its better than last year's.  However, does it matter if it gets worse?  In other words, what's the difference in finishing as we are and having a 5-6 win season; or making the changes (having it blow up) and getting worse and we have a 3-4 win season?

On the flip side, the moves could play out and give us less need to draft a LT and we could still finish with 5-6 wins. Definitely a plus in my book.

815495[/snapback]

The point you guys are missing is that this move is not necessarily because the line play has been that bad, it's to get a look at the kids and see how they play. This is a move for next year, to see what we have and what we need.

That has nothing to do with who is playing LT and everything to do with the fact that JP isn't listening to the crowd noise to know the hit is coming. ;)

815447[/snapback]

0:) I laughed out loud at that one. Bravo.

The point you guys are missing is that this move is not necessarily because the line play has been that bad, it's to get a look at the kids and see how they play.  This is a move for next year, to see what we have and what we need.

815577[/snapback]

Two excellent points in two straight days? What the Hell's wrong with you? ;)

I like the moves made to the offensive line. We already know what we have in

Peters playing RT so why not try and see if he can handle the left side? The biggest difference will be the footwork playing on the left side.

Gandy moving back to his more natural position, guard, will allow the staff to see if he still has what it takes to be a player on our line. I would say with this we need to give him the entire 9 games remaining to see if Peters and Gandy can form the necessary cohesiveness to do well together.

I feel fairly comfortable with Fowler playing center. He certainly is no Kent Hull, BUT as far as changes go, this is by no means the most pressing need on the line.

Putting Pennington out at RT seems to be a sound option given what we have at the present time. The coaching staff will have the remainder of the season to see what they have in him and evaluate need in this next draft. Again, the cohesiveness is what takes time to develop and giving him his "audition" to earn a spot when the real bullets are flying is something that I can live with.

This leaves the LG position currently manned by Villarial. It appears that he is susceptible to injury at this point in his career and so the turnstile of Preston and Merz seems to be in order here. Even though this may sound more like LG by committee, it is what we are at this point.

In essence what is happening is that we are replacing Reyes with Pennington, even though the positions are different, but we are moving Gandy to his so called natural position. Two very noticeable observations about Merz in Sunday's game vs. Patriots::: 1. He made a very nice seal-block around the right side that helped spring McGahee on his long shuffle pass run. 2. He whiffed on a block where McGinnest got to JP and recorded a sack at a very inopportune time. This is what you will get with a rookie- it's part of the growing pains that teams must go through when they are trying to develop an offensive line.

If these moves don't work we may have to consider trying to draft Joe Thomas from Wisconsin at LT and move Jason Peters back to the right side. Here again it will still take time to develop the continuity. I still believe that if D'Brickashaw had been there at #8 we would have taken him, but I'm not displeased with Donte. The offensive line will be the focus in this next offseason if we have been listening to what Marv has been saying.

The point you guys are missing is that this move is not necessarily because the line play has been that bad, it's to get a look at the kids and see how they play.  This is a move for next year, to see what we have and what we need.

815577[/snapback]

If the OL was playing well, why mess with it? The truth is, they weren't playing well and the coaching staff was forced to make a change. It certainly wasn't a move to get younger players involved (Gandy is only 27, Reyes 28).

I hope this works out but really its an act of desperation. It seems that every year we play the OL hokey-pokey, moving this lump over there and putting that slug over here.

You cant polish a turd.

And dont forget the Curse of McKinley. Peters will do an awesome job against Green Bay and get everyone's hope up before being hit on a cornerback blitz in practice and breaking his femur.

I dont make the rules, folks.

815577[/snapback]

Uh no. If the line was good (and they already knew they didn't need much next year), they wouldn't even make this move.

Although I was not always a big proponent of moving Peters to LT, I am in support of this move for the following reasons:

1) If Peters IS able to play LT, filling the RT slot will be much easier to do in the 07 draft than the LT slot.

2) Gandy is SO bad that it really couldn't get much worse.

3) Guys like Merz and Pennington need reps at the pro level to see if they are able to play at all.

4) If JP is a flop at LT, so what? He can go back to the right side next season.

5) Peters is signed long term. If he turns out to be a promnent NFL LT, we will be paying him about half price.

6) These bold moves indicate that perhaps Levy and Jauron might actually know what an offensive line is.

Yeah, it's all good.

This leaves the LG position currently manned by Villarial.  It appears that he is susceptible to injury at this point in his career and so the turnstile of Preston and  Merz seems to be in order here.  Even though this may sound more like LG by committee, it is what we are at this point.

2. He whiffed on a block where McGinnest got to JP and recorded a sack at a very inopportune time.  This is what you will get with a rookie- it's part of the growing pains that teams must go through when they are trying to develop an offensive line.

815590[/snapback]

First of all, Gandy will man the LG position. Not the RG position. CV will remain at RG.

Secondly, McGinest doesn't even play for New England anymore.

Although I was not always a big proponent of moving Peters to LT, I am in support of this move for the following reasons:

1) If Peters IS able to play LT, filling the RT slot will be much easier to do in the 07 draft than the LT slot.

2) Gandy is SO bad that it really couldn't get much worse.

3) Guys like Merz and Pennington need reps at the pro level to see if they are able to play at all.

4) If JP is a flop at LT, so what? He can go back to the right side next season.

5) Peters is signed long term. If he turns out to be a promnent NFL LT, we will be paying him about half price.

6) These bold moves indicate that perhaps Levy and Jauron might actually know what an offensive line is.

Yeah, it's all good.

815602[/snapback]

The only real good news I can find in any of this is that the Bills management and coaching staff are openly admitting that this OL sucks. Granted, they figured that out about 6 months too late and after basically ignoring the fans calling for major OL help the past offseason, but its a start. Maybe they'll use a 4th and a 6th this year instead of a 5th and 7th?

Otherwise, starting a 7th round rookie RT looks like a recipe for disaster. That's not to say that Pennington might not suprise us and play reasonably well later in the year, but I think we all know he's probably going to have some major struggles for a while.

The only real good news I can find in any of this is that the Bills management and coaching staff are openly admitting that this OL sucks.  Granted,  they figured that out about 6 months too late and after basically ignoring the fans calling for major OL help the past offseason,  but its a start.  Maybe they'll use a 4th and a 6th this year instead of a 5th and 7th?

Otherwise,  starting a 7th round rookie RT looks like a recipe for disaster.  That's not to say that Pennington might not suprise us and play reasonably well later in the year,  but I think we all know he's probably going to have some major struggles for a while.

815613[/snapback]

I think we used our 4th and 6th get a good deal on oatmeal and heart meds for Ralph. The 3rd and 5th were already used in trades for players. So we have our 1st, 2nd and 7th.

Granted,  they figured that out about 6 months too late and after basically ignoring the fans calling for major OL help the past offseason...

815613[/snapback]

Why didn't they listen to us, dammit?!? This could have all been avoided, Leinart would be our QB and we'd be undefeated right now.

Damn the Bills management and coaching staff. Damn them to hell.

Why didn't they listen to us, dammit?!? This could have all been avoided, Leinart would be our QB and we'd be undefeated right now.

815616[/snapback]

Your point is very well taken about listening to us LA.

I would like to make the point that Levy should have been cognizant enough to see the problem. The draft was so weak and stupid, I have very serious doubts that he was. ;)

815616[/snapback]

Its good to know you're such a Leinart fan. I hear there is still some room on the Cardinals' bandwagon, so feel free to join them.

I know.  Then again,  I never mentioned Leinart,  so apparently he has some fixation about that player.

815632[/snapback]

We all have man love for Leinart. He is, afterall, the greatest QB in the game today and will lead the Cardinals to a SuperBowl win for the next 10 years.

I like these moves.

Peters *might* become a very good left tackle, and this is one way to find out. Gandy does not have this possibility, and I can't see him fitting into our long term plans.

Pennington has some good potential, and seeing him in action seems worthwhile. I like him more than Butler from the limited I know.

I'm surprised Preston doesn't enter into the shuffle mix as part of a youth movement, but I guess he hasn't been impressing coaches with his play recently.

I like getting Peters on the LT side as our OLineman with the most potential. I think that JP can handle rookie mistakes from Pennington at RT more than he could handle incompetence from Gandy at LT. Keeping both hands on the football would be a step towards reducing fumbles, but when pressure comes from the right side and he can see it better, he can use his mobility more to escape it.

I'm glad for the shakeup. We need to identify the core pieces of this team that can grow into a playoff contender in 2007, and do our best to use this season to get those pieces in place.

Peters *might* become a very good left tackle, and this is one way to find out.  Gandy does not have this possibility, and I can't see him fitting into our long term plans.

815649[/snapback]

Actually, if Gandy plays well at LG, I'd like to see him resigned this offseason. He's still under 30 and would have experience at tackle and guard and appears to be durable. That kind of versatility is valuable. I certainly prefer him at guard over Reyes.

I'm surprised Preston doesn't enter into the shuffle mix as part of a youth movement, but I guess he hasn't been impressing coaches with his play recently.

815649[/snapback]

Preston is quite terrible. He was drafted about 4 rounds earlier than he should've been. I would rather see Merz in there before him.

Good moves at the right time in the season. Watching Parcells bench Bledsoe last night had me thinking that sometimes the game is simpler than most people want to make it. All the sacks weren't Bledsoe's fault, but the team was desperate, so switch the QB and see what happens.

The Bills are desperate - not because I think they have a chance of getting to the playoffs, but desperate simply to start making progress again. A big change in the OL is a sign that the staff can be creative with its personnel. I'm also hoping that if the offense continues to struggle for a couple of more games, we see Nall take some snaps, even if it's not completely Losman's fault, so we can find out if we need 2 or 3 QBs next off-season.

I want Losman to do well, but I'm tired of everyone talking about his confidence and the "harm" that was done to him last year. I know it has only been half a season in a new system for him, but if the staff views him as a weakness, we need to evaluate Nall in game situations. If benching Losman for a half when he's struggling is going to damage his confidence, then I don't want him as our long-term solution anyway. Changing this team around is going to take players with mental toughness and leadership. If Losman going to be Captain of the ship, it's time he does it.

Actually, if Gandy plays well at LG, I'd like to see him resigned this offseason.  He's still under 30 and would have experience at tackle and guard and appears to be durable.  That kind of versatility is valuable.  I certainly prefer him at guard over Reyes.

Preston is quite terrible.  He was drafted about 4 rounds earlier than he should've been.  I would rather see Merz in there before him.

815661[/snapback]

Windburn Fina would be an imrovement over what I have seen from Gandy to date.

If their desperate, call him up.