gandy out at LT, peters to LT, reyes benched ...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Left tackle Mike Gandy, who has not built on a solid 2005 season was moved inside to left guard where he'll replace Tutan Reyes. Filling the void at left tackle is Jason Peters who moves to J.P. Losman's blind side. Taking Peters old position of right tackle will be rookie seventh round pick Terrance Pennington.

I wasn't sure what options they had left, but I was pretty sure it had to involve moving Peters to LT.

I thought the same thing - WTF does that mean?  I was hoping it meant all new players...

Story on the front of bb.com - http://www.buffalobills.com/

815412[/snapback]

It is at least a start....Gandy moves to his natural position.....and Peters is the best tackle on the team, so moving him to LT makes a better choice... I am

also assuming that Merz will stay back at the RG position ahead of Villarial

and Preston....

I am still worried about the depth chart....

I am still worried about the depth chart....

815418[/snapback]

Agreed. But, lets not put the cart before the horse. Why worry about depth, when we don't have solid starters yet?

PS. If this move works and Peters plays well, I vote him for most versatile player the Bills have ever drafted award. What position has this guy not played in Buffalo?

I think we need to use him on special teams still.  Remember when he blocked a punt, recovered it, and scored?

815427[/snapback]

Remeber seeing him run down field at full speed to hit someone. Great!

I was going to post my ideas for bye week moves. But, they beat me to it.

IMO, 2 things will greatly improve the offense. 1) this is it. Shake up the Offensive line and try to get a better lineup, or at least a lineup that is less bad. It's clear what we have hasn't been working.

2) shake up the play calling. Currently, its too, too, much too, way bad predictable. And we need more TE passes, and longer bombs (even if they don't work and JP overthrows the field).

The offense has shown some real signs of life, but the they always break down. And I think that's largely because opposing defenses don't have to guess. When its 3 and 8, JP is throwing and its going to Evans at about the first down marker. You have to make them guess and we currently don't do that.

I think 2 relatively small changes are 2 easily done things, that could easily lead to better results.

Pennington at Tackle?

These are some BOLD moves by the Bills.

815434[/snapback]

What else do they have left? Might as well make the moves, its not like it could get much worse (or can it)

This really says something though, How bad has Reyes played that he now becomes a backup to Gandy???? Ouch that one has to hurt (its a joke, I know guard is Gandy's natural position and he should play better there)

I love the Peters move. He has been playing very well and it makes sense to have your best and most athletic tackle protecting the Qb's blind side. I had been wondering when they were going to do this.

815436[/snapback]

Agreed. If Peters plays to potential, we should see less of this blindside sack-fumble stuff.

Does anyone know who is filling the RG position? Honestly, I didn't think Reyes was that bad to be benched. I'd rather see CV on the bench.

ETA: The updated depth chart has CV at RG. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just haven't seen that much from Chris.

Agreed.  If Peters plays to potential, we should see less of this blindside sack-fumble stuff.

815442[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with who is playing LT and everything to do with the fact that JP isn't listening to the crowd noise to know the hit is coming. ;)

Does anyone know who is filling the RG position?  Honestly, I didn't think Reyes was that bad to be benched.  I'd rather see CV on the bench.

ETA: The updated depth chart has CV at RG.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I just haven't seen that much from Chris.

815442[/snapback]

My feeling is Merz will get the start at RG.....

What is missing from this picture of the great shuffle is where is DUKE PRESTON? Why is he in hiding...Wasn't he our 6th man on the OL to come off the bench at any of the interior positions ? How your stock has fallen, Mr. Preston

That has nothing to do with who is playing LT and everything to do with the fact that JP isn't listening to the crowd noise to know the hit is coming. ;)

815447[/snapback]

Maybe we can get the crowd to yell everytime a safety is baiting JP to throw to Evans as well.

815447[/snapback]

Well my feeling is that improved LT play should reduce the number of hits, but whether or not JP fumbles is on JP, true.

Yeah it will at least keep us tuned in. But what if Peters doesn't make a smooth transistion and Pennington can't hang at RT? I'd much prefer to leave Peters at RT and give Pennington a shot at LT and move Gandy to guard. That way if he doesn't pan out then when can just target for an upgrade at LT in the offseason. I think it will take 3-4 games to get the O-line up to speed but I HOPE I'M WRONG! GO BILLS! The next big change should be start Davis over Price!

This makes it even more frustrating to have wait over the bye week to see what our new toys will look like; feels like Christmas; hope I'm not disappointed!

815447[/snapback]

Fumbles should get reduced with less blindsided hits, and the blindsided hits will reduce by removing the Turnstile at LT and replacing it with someone who might be able to play the position

This says it all from the buffalobills press release:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310

The coaching staff is high on the rookie Pennington. Despite being a seventh-round pick the offensive staff likes his physical tools which includes 36-inch arms that can help a young pass protector in steering pass rushers around the pocket. Pennington has been the team's third tackle all season as it has been him and not fifth-round pick Brad Butler who has been active most Sundays.

I'm surprised more by the Reyes benching over Gandy?

I think if any linemen deserves being benched it is Gandy, but I guess you might as well try him back a his natural position before getting rid of him.

Did Reyes really play that bad though that he deserves the benching?

815473[/snapback]

Reyes was a dud down here in Panther country. I assure you, nobody shed a tear when he left.

I really think this move might be promising. I mean Peters is our best player on the OL plus he's pretty versitile so it wouldn't surprise me if he plays this position vary well.

Plus gandy is going to to his natural position so maybe we see something out of him (fingers crossed). Like somone else posted I guess we can't get to much worse right?

I'm surprised more by the Reyes benching over Gandy?

I think if any linemen deserves being benched it is Gandy, but I guess you might as well try him back a his natural position before getting rid of him.

Did Reyes really play that bad though that he deserves the benching?

815473[/snapback]

Gandy is much more likely to be a competent guard than Reyes.

I like this move. If everything pans out, the need for an LT is gone and gives the Bills more flexibility in offseason moves. I think Peters will be fine there.

As for RT, I never saw Pennington play in college but I did see Butler and it doesn't surprise me that a 7th rounder is beating out Butler for a job.

As for RT, I never saw Pennington play in college but I did see Butler and it doesn't surprise me that a 7th rounder is beating out Butler for a job.

815485[/snapback]

Because we know college is an indicator of well someone does in the pros. Hell look at Leinart he was great in college, but he sucks in the pros. I read it here so it must be true.

This says it all from the buffalobills press release:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310

The coaching staff is high on the rookie Pennington. Despite being a seventh-round pick the offensive staff likes his physical tools which includes 36-inch arms that can help a young pass protector in steering pass rushers around the pocket. Pennington has been the team's third tackle all season as it has been him and not fifth-round pick Brad Butler who has been active most Sundays.

815468[/snapback]

Hey, to be fair, its for their glaucoma

Well, we can certainly get worse. As bad as our line play has been, I still think its better than last year's. However, does it matter if it gets worse? In other words, what's the difference in finishing as we are and having a 5-6 win season; or making the changes (having it blow up) and getting worse and we have a 3-4 win season?

On the flip side, the moves could play out and give us less need to draft a LT and we could still finish with 5-6 wins. Definitely a plus in my book.

So how long before the "Peters sucks" threads start.

Over/under 2 weeks sound fair?

815490[/snapback]

Good point. If he doesn't INSTANTLY come in and adjust and play at a Pro Bowl level and has a bad game or two he will be labeled as garbage and be run out of here like the rest!

So how long before the "Peters sucks" threads start.

Over/under 2 weeks sound fair?

815490[/snapback]

I'm going to say neither. I really think Peters is going to do well at position. He's seems to do good at all the other spots he's he seems real versatile.