Holy cow.....

Garranimal

...what the heck is wrong with people in buffalo. I just saw a good number of highlights on the NFL network. The pick for TD is totally on Reed...what kind of route involves sort of running and stuttering around? Even the announcers said that reed needs to run a route and make a decision.

But good god, looking at the other throws they showed of Losman's....damn, that kid can sling the football....and be extremely accurate. What are you people looking for.....he is going to make mistakes....Jim used to throw at least a dumb pick a game..or so it seemed....so what....he had the skills and clearly...so does JP.

Support our team, stop the Craig Nall nonsense and get on board. I don't hear anyone suggesting we should bench Willis for his gaff? Why is that? it resulted in a touchdown....if he does that every game....as you are assuming JP will do, should he get the hook?

They are both number 1 picks....they deserve to be given the chances...uh chances....to succeed.

You guys are amazing......watch the plays....watch it like it is a practice game.....don't look at this like it is exemplary of what a regular game would look like.

...what the heck is wrong with people in buffalo.  I just saw a good number of highlights on the NFL network.  The pick for TD is totally on Reed...what kind of route involves sort of running and stuttering around?  Even the announcers said that reed needs to run a route and make a decision.

JP and Jauron both stated in their press conferences the pick was JP's fault. Hey if 3 turnovers in a half of football don't bother you then I guess JP is undoubtedly the man.

Support our team, stop the Craig Nall nonsense and get on board. 

Craig Nall is on the Bills team right?

What are you people looking for.....he is going to make mistakes....Jim used to throw at least a dumb pick a game..or so it seemed....so what....he had the skills and clearly...so does JP.

747313[/snapback]

I remember a game later in his career, against the Falcons I think in OP, Jimbo misfired and was picked. Tackled the guy at the sideline and broke the DB's leg. He later said that he was mad at his mistake and was trying to make up for it by making sure it didn't go back for 7. That, ladies and gents, is a football player. Make a mistake, all right, everyone does it; get back in the play and try to do better next time. I see a lot of the same level of spirit in JP. And remember that it was not JP who took himself out last year, it was Meathead who had unrealistic expectations for an essential rookie starter.

...what the heck is wrong with people in buffalo.  I just saw a good number of highlights on the NFL network.  The pick for TD is totally on Reed...what kind of route involves sort of running and stuttering around?  Even the announcers said that reed needs to run a route and make a decision. 

But good god, looking at the other throws they showed of Losman's....damn, that kid can sling the football....and be extremely accurate.  What are you people looking for.....he is going to make mistakes....Jim used to throw at least a dumb pick a game..or so it seemed....so what....he had the skills and clearly...so does JP.

Support our team, stop the Craig Nall nonsense and get on board.  I don't hear anyone suggesting we should bench Willis for his gaff?  Why is that?  it resulted in a touchdown....if he does that every game....as you are assuming JP will do, should he get the hook? 

They are both number 1 picks....they deserve to be given the chances...uh chances....to succeed.

You guys are amazing......watch the plays....watch it like it is a practice game.....don't look at this like it is exemplary of what a regular game would look like.

747313[/snapback]

Amen brother!

JP and Jauron both stated in their press conferences the pick was JP's fault. Hey if 3 turnovers in a half of football don't bother you then I guess JP is undoubtedly the man.

747320[/snapback]

Which has susequently been broken down and realized that they were covering for Reed's mistake. JP could have made a better throw, but Reed isn't doing anyone any favors.

I remember a game later in his career, against the Falcons I think in OP, Jimbo misfired and was picked. Tackled the guy at the sideline and broke the DB's leg. He later said that he was mad at his mistake and was trying to make up for it by making sure it didn't go back for 7. That, ladies and gents, is a football player. Make a mistake, all right, everyone does it; get back in the play and try to do better next time. I see a lot of the same level of spirit in JP. And remember that it was not JP who took himself out last year, it was Meathead who had unrealistic expectations for an essential rookie starter.

747326[/snapback]

I don't remember if I saw that live but I've seen that highlight quite a few times on ESPN. They need to show that alot more. It's funny in a way cuz I don't think the DB realized his leg was broke. He just kept running and that limb was flopping around wildly. I guess the adrenaline in his system numbed the mind to any pain. I woulda fell down like a lil sissy girl and cried my eyes out. <_<

747326[/snapback]

Yes it was against the Falcons at Rich. He snapped it pretty good. I also remember Jim throw three picks in the first half against the Begals on a Monday night . We came back and won the game.

...what the heck is wrong with people in buffalo. 

747313[/snapback]

Although I agree with your sentiments, I don't think there is anything wrong with our fan base, we're just passionate. Some people just like to complain, others truly believe JP is not capable of leading this team to a winning record, however, we all care enough to actually give up some time on our precious weekends to read about the team and post our opinions.

My personal opinion is that it is time to name JP the starter and use the next 2 weeks to prepare for our first game. I believe he has shown enough to be given the opportunity to fail or succeed.

I agree. I saw the replay several times and it looked to me like Losman was throwing to a spot. It also seemed to me that Reed was supposed to get to a certain point in his route and make an adjustment based on what he saw in the secondary. Maybe Reed saw one thing and Losman saw something else.

Which has susequently been broken down and realized that they were covering for Reed's mistake.  JP could have made a better throw, but Reed isn't doing anyone any favors.

747379[/snapback]

747326[/snapback]

...I've got that on a Bills tape and if memory serves, Jimbo was described <_< as a LBer playing the QB position... :blink:

Yes it was against the Falcons at Rich. He snapped it pretty good. I also remember Jim throw three picks in the first half against the Begals on a Monday night . We came back and won the game.

747504[/snapback]

Yeah I remember that game well. Sam Wyche blew a gasket during the game. I think that was his last year as head coach IIRC.

Everyone might also remember that teams do very little opponent-specific preparation/game-planning for preseason games. This is the time for vanilla. This is not a time when smart teams show their hand (as Meathead and JG did --- then again, the blitz comprised 95% of JG's defensive knowledge).

JP throwing to a spot, as mentioned upthread, shows me that he's got a lot more polish (not Polish! <_<) to his game. But I do root for Nall, to push as much as he can.

Also, I expect there will be emphasized work this week with the new center Fowler on the snap. This is the time to work the kinks out.

JP and Jauron both stated in their press conferences the pick was JP's fault.

747320[/snapback]

Yup -- they sure did. But if you watch the press conference rather than just read the highlights, you'll see that it was double talk.

JP fell on the sword for Reed and said it was his fault. As a good QB should do. He didn't hang Reed out to dry. He scored points in my book for that move.

I saw Losman stare at Reed and throw it to him and a DB jump in front and pick off the pass. He looked right at him before he threw it. I don't get all this bad route crap. It was just a bad throw plain and simple - and JP and Jauron both know it and said as much. No bullets being taken, no swords being fell on - just an honest response to a bad pass.

Yeah, I fault JP for that throw too.

Reed was indecisive in his route but Losman telegraphed it. If he would have pumped, it might have been six. (He may have also been sacked too, he was under pressure)

Still, JP looks A LOT better this preseason.

I remember a game later in his career, against the Falcons I think in OP, Jimbo misfired and was picked. Tackled the guy at the sideline and broke the DB's leg. He later said that he was mad at his mistake and was trying to make up for it by making sure it didn't go back for 7. That, ladies and gents, is a football player.

747326[/snapback]

I don't remember if I saw that live but I've seen that highlight quite a few times on ESPN.  They need to show that alot more.  It's funny in a way cuz I don't think the DB realized his leg was broke.  He just kept running and that limb was flopping around wildly.  I guess the adrenaline in his system numbed the mind to any pain.  I woulda fell down like a lil sissy girl and cried my eyes out.    <_<

747500[/snapback]

I was at that game...still have the ticket stub. :lol: It was in November of '95 and extremely cold, IIRC...snow flurries and something like -1 with the wind chill. It also marked the return of Marv Levy, who had missed three games because of prostate cancer surgery. :blink:

I agree.  I saw the replay several times and it looked to me like Losman was throwing to a spot.  It also seemed to me that Reed was supposed to get to a certain point in his route and make an adjustment based on what he saw in the secondary.  Maybe Reed saw one thing and Losman saw something else.

747527[/snapback]

Doesn't matter if Reed ran the "right" route. The DB was there and read it. The ball shouldn't have been thrown. At best, maybe Reed could have been there to play DB and stop the INT. Besides, WR's run the wrong routes sometimes, especially hot reads on blitzes. That is no excuse for not seeing a DB who was standing right where that ball was going.

It looked to me like they blitzed on that side and JP saw the blitzer coming in and thought he had a guy wide open in the spot vacated by the blitzer so he threw it out there quick. The DB saw that reaction coming and jumped the route.

No big deal. He is still young, he is going to get outfoxed like that once in awhile.

There doesn't seem to be much objectivity when it comes to JP. Every mistake he makes triggers a mad search for an excuse that leaves him blameless. I don't get it, we can love JP and look forward to his future and at the same time, still recognize when he screws up without being a "JP hater".

No big deal.  He is still young, he is going to get outfoxed like that once in awhile.

There doesn't seem to be much objectivity when it comes to JP.  Every mistake he makes triggers a mad search for an excuse that leaves him blameless.  I don't get it, we can love JP and look forward to his future and at the same time, still recognize when he screws up without being a "JP hater".

747677[/snapback]

I haven't seen the play, because I have to wait for NFL network to fit us in sometime in May of 2009, but I agree with your sentiment here. I am one of the biggest JP boosters out there, but he doesn't need to be handled with kid gloves and put on a pedestal just because we don't want Holcomb to start and we have faith. The INT and two fumbles were three plays he accepts responsibility for, and should do his best to learn to avoid. We don't have to justify each one for him. We can just say "bad decision" or "bad throw" without adding "but the line broke down, the receiver ran the wrong route, and Holcomb wouldn't have made the play either".

Mularkey is gone and JP will start 16 times, so we can call a lump a lump and stick with him as he takes his lumps, and hopefully develops this year into a solid NFL QB. But just think how nice it would be to have JP as a very good (if not great) QB for the next 10 years? Think of how nice that potential is, and understand through his mistakes this year that the QB position has varying learning phases, and we aren't a "win now at all costs" team.

JP may or may not be that guy, but we don't have a more likely alternative this year, so taking that chance all season long with a lot of hope, but also realistic appraisals seems like the best thing.

I agree that it is a good thing that JP took the blame even assumimg Reed ran the weong route. I think this is the right perspective take not because it frees Reed on fany blame, but because the QB is the natural leader of the offense because he is the one calling (yes in Jimbos case but with the headset and the modern offense the QB is transdering the call) the plays and touches the ball on virtually every offensive play.

Even if Reed was at fault, the buck stops with the QB and he simply is the blame for virtually any miscue which happens.

I think the key question is what is the QB going to do about this. Responses can include a bunch of things from the QB improving his play to getting in the face of the WR's (usually privately is the right way) face.

I think Jauron probably said it was JP's fault even if Reed blew his route because ultimately JP is the one who needs to get Reed to run his routes the right way or to sit down if he cannot.

The important thing for getting Ws is not who we fans blame, but for the QB and all the WRs to work to make it work. Right now, I think there is clear positive chemistry between JP and Evans as seen in the bomb for a TD this weekend and the three scores for TDs ;ast year against Miami.

JP and Price show little signs clicking in games but the practice scuttlebut about their plays connecting has been good. This appears to be a case where JP can fix their miscues himself as he has shortarmed a number of passes headed his way.

Ironically, Reed and Losman seemed to have a bit of chemistry last year as Reed seemed to be his go to guy on 3rd downs last year more than Evans or Moulds.

U;tomately the key to this is not going to br a simple matter of which reciever is a better player (right now I would put Reed 4th among our recievers with Aiken threatening him a bit with his play in the first game and in pracice) but will ultimately be determined by how well the QB and receivers work together.

JP and Jauron are sening the right message and taking the right approach if they recognize that JP is taking the responsiblity for it working and he will be a better QB when he truly operates from a standpoint the buck stops with him.

747326[/snapback]

I remember that game well adn i remember it being a windy day and the CBs broken leg was kind of blowing in the wind

I wasn't making excuses for JP. Actually, it doesn't matter to me who starts at QB, so long as that QB gives the team the best chance to win. Tom Brady has proven once and for all that just because a guy is picked in the first round doesn't mean he's automatically a starter.

You're right in that JP is going to make mistakes like that, every young QB does, especially when they're under pressure. If they're going to go with him as the starter, then it's a good thing it happened now when the game doesn't count. Now, let's hope he learned from it and can integrate the lesson into his game.

Doesn't matter if Reed ran the "right" route.  The DB was there and read it.  The ball shouldn't have been thrown.  At best, maybe Reed could have been there to play DB and stop the INT.  Besides, WR's run the wrong routes sometimes, especially hot reads on blitzes.  That is no excuse for not seeing a DB who was standing right where that ball was going.

It looked to me like they blitzed on that side and JP saw the blitzer coming in and thought he had a guy wide open in the spot vacated by the blitzer so he threw it out there quick.  The DB saw that reaction coming and jumped the route.

No big deal.  He is still young, he is going to get outfoxed like that once in awhile.

There doesn't seem to be much objectivity when it comes to JP.  Every mistake he makes triggers a mad search for an excuse that leaves him blameless.  I don't get it, we can love JP and look forward to his future and at the same time, still recognize when he screws up without being a "JP hater".

747677[/snapback]

I've seen the replay over and over on my DVR with Reed coming right at the camera. He gets to the break point in the route and has a look on his face like "I don't know where to go". Then he makes a half-effort break to the outside. JP threw the inside slant. It still would have been a bad pass resulting in either no gain or a breakup, but certainly not an INT for a TD.

There doesn't seem to be much objectivity when it comes to JP.  Every mistake he makes triggers a mad search for an excuse that leaves him blameless.

747677[/snapback]

Deja vu..."It's not Drew's fault." :blink:<_<

I don't get it, we can love JP and look forward to his future and at the same time, still recognize when he screws up without being a "JP hater".

747677[/snapback]

GREAT point!

I've seen the replay over and over on my DVR with Reed coming right at the camera. He gets to the break point in the route and has a look on his face like "I don't know where to go". Then he makes a half-effort break to the outside. JP threw the inside slant. It still would have been a bad pass resulting in either no gain or a breakup, but certainly not an INT for a TD.

747774[/snapback]

IF he was supposed to be going inside. We don't know that. Surely, Reed was not supposed to do what he did. There is no play call other than the fumblerooskie to run out and stop and look confused.

It seems that there is little doubt they both screwed up but also seems little doubt that it didn't matter what Reed did, JP blew the read and threw an ill-advised pass. The best thing about Jauron to me is his clarity on what he is thinking, up to a point. You can tell from his press conference he really doesn't blame Losman for that play, because the team didn't prepare him for that, even though it was Losman's fault. But he does clearly blame JP on the fumbles.

IF he was supposed to be going inside. We don't know that. Surely, Reed was not supposed to do what he did. There is no play call other than the fumblerooskie to run out and stop and look confused.

It seems that there is little doubt they both screwed up but also seems little doubt that it didn't matter what Reed did, JP blew the read and threw an ill-advised pass. The best thing about Jauron to me is his clarity on what he is thinking, up to a point. You can tell from his press conference he really doesn't blame Losman for that play, because the team didn't prepare him for that, even though it was Losman's fault. But he does clearly blame JP on the fumbles.

747777[/snapback]

Yep. I agree with just about all of that. As others have mentioned, it was also nice that JP took the blame during the interview afterward. That's an important step in his leadership development. Looking at the fumbles, I'm not gonna worry too much about the second one. The Pocket really collapsed from all angles and he was hit by his own guy, and he didn't even have time to set up properly. The first fumble was definitely all on JP.

Doesn't matter if Reed ran the "right" route.  The DB was there and read it.  The ball shouldn't have been thrown.  At best, maybe Reed could have been there to play DB and stop the INT.  Besides, WR's run the wrong routes sometimes, especially hot reads on blitzes.  That is no excuse for not seeing a DB who was standing right where that ball was going.

It looked to me like they blitzed on that side and JP saw the blitzer coming in and thought he had a guy wide open in the spot vacated by the blitzer so he threw it out there quick.  The DB saw that reaction coming and jumped the route.

747677[/snapback]

I agree completely with everything you said - especially the last part. I want JP to succeed as much as anyone - but the number and fervor of JP apologists is reaching levels not seen since the CWACs when Coy Wire was in his 'prime' :blush:

You can like a player and root for them and still not have to be completely blind to (or unwilling to see) the mistakes that player makes or problems that he has.

If Marshall Faulk had not said JR was at fault on the INT, I wouldn't be persisting. But the guy KNOWS Fairchild's system and the responsibilities of the WR's, and he is an impartial observer, meaning he has no one to protect and thus no reason to lie.

In any case, it was no worse than what I've seen other, more experience, and good QB do from time to time. Hey that's what Warner did to basically lose the game for the Rams in the first Pats SB win.

I saw Losman stare at Reed and throw it to him and a DB jump in front and pick off the pass.  He looked right at him before he threw it.  I don't get all this bad route crap.  It was just a bad throw plain and simple - and JP and Jauron both know it and said as much.  No bullets being taken, no swords being fell on - just an honest response to a bad pass.

747634[/snapback]

If anything JP was trying to dodge taking responsbility. I get the feeling he does not believe he was at fault the way he kept answering questions with a smirk and "miscommunication". He said that three times.

He is basically he a pretty defensive guy and not very humble. Some compared him to Kelly the way he comes back from a mistake. Maybe. But, Kelly almost always took responsibility for his mistakes. You remember?? "I stuck" That was a bad pass and bad decision on my part.

J.P. says his mistakes were correctable. poor decisions correctable or a good pocket presence is correctable. I think he can and will improve there I just don't think either or those will be good attributes for him.

If anything JP was trying to dodge taking responsbility.  I get the feeling he does not believe he was at fault the way he kept answering questions with a smirk and "miscommunication".  He said that three times.

He is basically he a pretty defensive guy and not very humble.  Some compared him to Kelly the way he comes back from a mistake.  Maybe.  But, Kelly almost always took responsibility for his mistakes.  You remember??  "I stuck" That was a bad pass and bad decision on my part.

J.P. says his mistakes were correctable.  poor decisions correctable or a good pocket presence is correctable.  I think he can and will improve there I just don't think either or those will be good attributes for him.

Well if it WASN'T his fault, you think he should come out and say it was JR's fault? And from reports from training camp, JP almost always got down on himself for a mistake and usually had a bad series after it, so the fact that he had a good one after this mistake leads me to believe (along with Faulk's analysis) that JP was NOT at fault.

If anything JP was trying to dodge taking responsbility.  I get the feeling he does not believe he was at fault the way he kept answering questions with a smirk and "miscommunication".  He said that three times.

He is basically he a pretty defensive guy and not very humble.  Some compared him to Kelly the way he comes back from a mistake.  Maybe.  But, Kelly almost always took responsibility for his mistakes.  You remember??  "I stuck" That was a bad pass and bad decision on my part.

J.P. says his mistakes were correctable.  poor decisions correctable or a good pocket presence is correctable.  I think he can and will improve there I just don't think either or those will be good attributes for him.

748050[/snapback]

I recall a few episodes like Jim wildly shouting at Andre Reed on the sidelines in a MNF game at Pitt back in the day....

Maybe he said "miscommunication" b/c that's what it was. How is that dodging responsibility? Like the line in "The Great Gatsby" it takes two bad drivers to make an accident.... It takes both people not communicating well to make a bad play. I also trust that JP and Reed have put this thing in the rearview mirror while some seem determined to make one play in the preseason a Big Thing.

Well if it WASN'T his fault, you think he should come out and say it was JR's fault?  And from reports from training camp, JP almost always got down on himself for a mistake and usually had a bad series after it, so the fact that he had a good one after this mistake leads me to believe (along with Faulk's analysis) that JP was NOT at fault.

748053[/snapback]

It looked like Reed messed up by why would coach DJ and JP both say otherwise? It would be stupid for JP to say ' he did exactly what he was coached to do" if it was not true. Also, I assume that Reed saw somethg different than JP but even DJ say it Reed's. Even so Reed did not like committed or ready to receive a ball. ugly play.

i actually am more worried about his fumbles and total unwillingness to throw a ball away....

But good god, looking at the other throws they showed of Losman's....damn, that kid can sling the football....and be extremely accurate.  What are you people looking for.....he is going to make mistakes....Jim used to throw at least a dumb pick a game..or so it seemed....so what....he had the skills and clearly...so does JP.

Support our team, stop the Craig Nall nonsense and get on board.  I don't hear anyone suggesting we should bench Willis for his gaff?  Why is that?  it resulted in a touchdown....if he does that every game....as you are assuming JP will do, should he get the hook? 

747313[/snapback]

Jim Kelly was a leader. Is JP? That hasn't happened yet. Most of people on this board are exactly right. He has not been getting the job done. This is his year. He knows he has to make the most of his performances. If he doesn't then he won't our quarterback of the future.

It looked like Reed messed up by why would coach DJ and JP both say otherwise?  It would be stupid for JP to say ' he did exactly what he was coached to do" if it was not true.  Also, I assume that Reed saw somethg different than JP but even DJ say it Reed's.  Even so Reed did not like committed or ready to receive a ball.  ugly play.

I can think of several reasons why DJ and JP would lie. For the life of me however, I cannot think of a single reason why Faulk would lie. I guess he could like JP more than JR but that seems unlikely.

i actually am more worried about his fumbles and total unwillingness to throw a ball away....

I'm not overly worried about the fumbles. It will bear watching over the course of the season, though. As for unwillingness to throw a ball away, I don't see that as an issue.

747677[/snapback]

I've been reading most of the posts & it seems to me that the only mistake people are making 'possible' excuse for is the INT.

His fumbles have not been defended....he held onto the ball for too long & got sacked. I have not seen anyone blame the line....or say it wasn't a fumble....or anything like that.

Have I missed pertinent posts that you are referring to?

I remember that game well adn i remember it being a windy day and the CBs broken leg was kind of blowing in the wind

747737[/snapback]

I remember it too. The image of that guy sprinting down the sideline and then instinctively trying to make another stride with his floppy broken leg is burned in my memory forever. Of course they showed the replay about 15 times and I watched it cringing every time.

In any case, it was no worse than what I've seen other, more experience, and good QB do from time to time.

748047[/snapback]

Yes, many have done and will continue to do so from time to time....it was a wide-open lane to the wr.

Perhaps JP's eyes bulged and he made the decision to launch the ball in a half a second - he took the chance. I didn't pay any attention to what the wr did before the pass - didn't even see or care that it was Reed.

I saw the db streak in and get the ball. The db also took the chance - if it was complete, Reed gets good yardage.

I'd guess that JP, Reed, and Cincy db Ratliff heard some coach's words about playing safe and sound. And with a wink after the lecture, because a certain amount of chance-taking pays dividends. :blush:

For me, that int is a non-issue. Aggressive play on both sides of the ball. Advantage defense this time, advantage offense the next...