Here was a quote from a recent Sporting News

BobbyC81

"When playing the market. a smart general manager avoids the whammies. One way to hit a jackpot is to take spins on players who have been limited to under-the-radar roles with their current teams but could blossom elsewhere."

Sounds like the approach Marv and company have taken so far with these 4 free agent signings.

Really, when your team was 5-11, spending big bucks on a couple well-known players where you're competing with other teams generally doesn't work. They signed 4 guys at less money who will be hungry for the opportunity and might even surprise.

Other then Ryan Pickett and Rocky Bernard I dont feel there was any fre agent we lost out on the opportunity to sign. Guys like Runyan, Mike Flannagan, Tutan Reyes are all still available. I liked the triplett signing. Not crazy about Royal but he's younger then Mark Campbell and is a decent blocker. The te positions hinges on everett and how he comes back. I liked the Andre Davis signing. Not a big Bowen fan. I'm hoping Baker beats out him and Coy Wire for the ss spot if thats what it comes down to. Theres still a lot of quality players out there to be had, and it's better then blowing a wad over guys like randle el or adam archuletta.

Not crazy about Royal but he's younger then Mark Campbell and is a decent blocker.  The te positions hinges on everett and how he comes back.

I pulled out some Bowman 2002 football cards, and ran across an Andre Davis and Robert Royal rookie card. On the backs, they have a "scouting report" on each player. One thing that stuck out for me, was they describe Royal as having "great hands, the speed to be used as a deep reciever, and blocks exceptionally well upfield." I knew he was supposed to be a good blocking TE, but I wasn't aware of his great speed.

You never know about guys like this. Most of us never really heard of him, until this past week. He could just be one of those guys who played in such a bad offense (and the Skins had a pretty terrible offense, until maybe this past season), his recieving skills have not been exposed. Maybe a diamond in the rough?

I agree about Everett. I am really excited to see if this kid is going to be a great offensive weapon. He is real raw, and by most reports, not the smartest kid. But, he is supposed to be a terrific athlete.

A work associate of mine works for the University of Miami athletics program. He knows his stuff about college players. When the Bills drafted McGahee, he told me the gamble would be worth it. He says McGahee is one of the hardest working athletes in recent Miami history. He also told me that he had serious doubts about Roscoe Parrish at the pro level, but Kevin Everett is likely a steal, if the Bills give him enough time to develop. Athletically, he says he could be every bit as good as Shockey and Winslow Jr were. He is not a punk though!

I'm hoping Baker beats out him and Coy Wire for the ss spot if thats what it comes down to. 

633086[/snapback]

You can't be serious. I can't believe Wire is still on this team. He should have been cut years ago.

RTB

Robert Royal was heavily maligned this year in DC due to a number of a big time drops that he had this season..... I have to imagine that he is going to stick to blocking with us.....

Buftex, believing the copy on the back of football cards is akin to believing a press release from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is all three kinds of truth.

You really think they'll put "Hands of stone" on there? :D

I had a pal on the track team whose website bio said he "could be an Olympic qualifier." Even he cracked up about that. Uhh... could be, but he's not going to be.

I pulled out some Bowman 2002 football cards, and ran across an Andre Davis and Robert Royal rookie card.  On the backs, they have a "scouting report" on each player.  One thing that stuck out for me, was they describe Royal as having "great hands, the speed to be used as a deep reciever, and blocks exceptionally well upfield."  I knew he was supposed to be a good blocking TE, but I wasn't aware of his great speed. 

633093[/snapback]

I can't believe you possess football cards! I didn't think people collected those anymore! :D

"When playing the market. a smart general manager avoids the whammies.  One way to hit a jackpot is to take spins on players who have been limited to under-the-radar roles with their current teams but could blossom elsewhere."

Sounds like the approach Marv and company have taken so far with these 4 free agent signings.

Really, when your team was 5-11, spending big bucks on a couple well-known players where you're competing with other teams generally doesn't work.  They signed 4 guys at less money who will be hungry for the opportunity and might even surprise.

633085[/snapback]

But, But, But, I thought Bentley was supposed to come here, we were going to have a giant parade, and a huge block party, we would carry him around town on our shoulders and come bearing gifts to him. He was supposed to be the player that was going to single handedly turn this franchise around

That article is saying exactly what some of us have been saying for a while. The bills are looking at some more smaller known players that could develop into star players for them in our system. We have so many holes to fill, bringing in one or 2 big name stars would not help us improve much from last year cause it would keep us from being able to sign a few more guys that could make an impact. They are also going for youth and speed it seems which can be good cause they will be around for a bit. Now if the BIlls were only one or 2 players away from being a great team, I would be pissed they didn't sign star players for those spots.

But what do I know, I only watch football games, I don't study and analyse games and tapes, research players college history or even read the latest rumor sites. I just watch football for fun.

Guest BackInDaDay
"When playing the market. a smart general manager avoids the whammies.  One way to hit a jackpot is to take spins on players who have been limited to under-the-radar roles with their current teams but could blossom elsewhere."

Really, when your team was 5-11, spending big bucks on a couple well-known players where you're competing with other teams generally doesn't work.  They signed 4 guys at less money who will be hungry for the opportunity and might even surprise.

633085[/snapback]

Sound strategy when you don't want to spend for 'proven' players.

But what the hey! Why not experiment?

This whole organization belongs on a slide under a microscope somewhere - it's one big expiriment!

Can our old coach cut it as a GM?

Can our losing coach win?

Can our inexperienced QB play like he's experienced?

Can our experienced QB elevate his game?

Can our RB be productive?

Can our undrafted free agent TE play LT?

Can our drafted TEs play TE?

Will our veteran WR play for less money?

Who will play RT?

Who will play LG?

Who will play C?

Can our injured OLB comeback?

Can our veteran MLB play in a TBC2 defense?

Who will play the other DT?

Who will play the other DE?

Can we generate a pass rush?

633085[/snapback]

When your team is rebuilding, and you need an offensive line, and young, talented offensive are available........you go get them. Period.

Then, add guys like we have added. We could have had stud offensive lineman, AND these guys that we have added.

Really, when your team was 5-11, spending big bucks on a couple well-known players where you're competing with other teams generally doesn't work.

633085[/snapback]

Exactly why I say either trade Moulds or cut him. Even though he is not a free agent being pursued by other teams the principle is similar.

A 5-11 team by definition has to rebuild. A $10.85 million dollar cap hit for an aging WR is too expensive. Half of that could be spent better on the OL for instance.

If you believe the Bills are playoff caliber - you keep Moulds.

If you believe the Bills need rebuilding and they are a year or two away from the playoffs - you have to free up cap space and dump him. This makes the most sense economically.

Marv believes the Bills are a contender apparently. I just love that youthful enthusiasm and optimism. The 2006 season will beat that out of him.

I trust in Marv and what he is doing. Donahoe made big splashes every year and look how that worked out.

I swear some of you guys should go be a GM or coach somewhere with your awesome knowledge and inside track on these players. Why are some of you guys working at McDonalds still? :lol:

I trust in Marv and what he is doing. Donahoe made big splashes every year and look how that worked out.

I swear some of you guys should go be a GM or coach somewhere with your awesome knowledge and inside track on these players. Why are some of you guys working at McDonalds still?  :lol:

633564[/snapback]

I agree. Someone tell Lv-Bills to sign off TBD and get back to work. My Big Mac took 4 minutes to make in the drive-thru.

633085[/snapback]

This strategy works for even the "big market" teams. Just look at New England -- this is exactly how they've been operating.

Jonathan "Mini Me" Kraft was quoted recently that they'd rather have a team of mid-level (salary-wise) guys than a handful of high-end priced-guys.

Not a big Bowen fan. I'm hoping Baker beats out him and Coy Wire for the ss spot if thats what it comes down to.  Theres still a lot of quality players out there to be had, and it's better then blowing a wad over guys like randle el or adam archuletta.

633086[/snapback]

im sorry, but wondering who is going to win the SS spot out of coy wire, matt bown, and rashad baker, is not better than signing archuleta.

im sorry, but wondering who is going to win the SS spot out of coy wire, matt bown, and rashad baker, is not better than signing archuleta.

633614[/snapback]

Yeah I would've rather made archuletta the highest paid safety in nfl history.... I'm not saying these guys are better, but you're not gonna convince me Archuletta is the best safety in the nfl or even close to pay him what he's getting paid.

Who will play RT?

Who will play LG?

Who will play C?

633223[/snapback]

You forgot a couple:

Who's on first?

Where's the beef?

Who farted?

What music is Marv listening to right now?

Guest BackInDaDay

Who will play RT?

Who will play LG?

Who will play C?

633223[/snapback]

You forgot a couple:

Who's on first?

Where's the beef?

Who farted?

What music is Marv listening to right now?

633970[/snapback]

I'll laugh with you come September if most of the football related questions have been answered.

Other then Ryan Pickett and Rocky Bernard I dont feel there was any fre agent we lost out on the opportunity to sign. Guys like Runyan, Mike Flannagan, Tutan Reyes are all still available. I liked the triplett signing. Not crazy about Royal but he's younger then Mark Campbell and is a decent blocker. The te positions hinges on everett and how he comes back. I liked the Andre Davis signing. Not a big Bowen fan. I'm hoping Baker beats out him and Coy Wire for the ss spot if thats what it comes down to. Theres still a lot of quality players out there to be had, and it's better then blowing a wad over guys like randle el or adam archuletta.

a well thought out, positive, and intelligent spin on the recent signings and still available FAs for some of the tortured souls on this board.

everyone remember to breathe now. in... out... in... out...

633085[/snapback]

I believe this to be so true. Levy is duplicating much of what Polian used to do here. Heh, things turned out pretty good back then too.

I swear some of you guys should go be a GM or coach somewhere with your awesome knowledge and inside track on these players. Why are some of you guys working at McDonalds still?  :lol:

633564[/snapback]

The Bills were raided in FA the past two offseasons as Donahoe replaced guys like Ruben Brown, Jonas Jennings, Antoine Winfield and Pat Williams with bargains like Chris Villarial, Bennie Anderson, Troy Vincent and nobody. It was anything but splashy at the time, but supposed to be proof of Donahoe's genius. I'm not defending Donahoe, just calling out your idiocy. B-)

The Bills were raided in FA the past two offseasons as Donahoe replaced guys like Ruben Brown, Jonas Jennings, Antoine Winfield and Pat Williams with bargains like Chris Villarial, Bennie Anderson, Troy Vincent and nobody.  It was anything but splashy at the time, but supposed to be proof of Donahoe's genius.  I'm not defending Donahoe, just calling out your idiocy.  :lol:

634168[/snapback]

badol, not to call you out, but if memory serves, you were no great fan of ruben brown or winfield. correct me if i'm wrong, of course ...

badol, not to call you out, but if memory serves, you were no great fan of ruben brown or winfield. correct me if i'm wrong, of course ...

634182[/snapback]

Me not liking Winfield is a fallacy. I wouldn't worship at the altar so I got called a hater simply because I said he wouldn't make plays and that he wasn't the next Darrel Green. He didn't make plays and he was no Darrel Green. Very good player, but I like DB's to have ball skills. That said, it was a talent loss. As was letting go Brown for disciplinary reasons, Jennings, Pat Williams and NOW Sam Adams, Mike Williams, Lawyer Milloy and possibly Eric Moulds. If you keep trading talent for turds, pretty soon you end up with very little talent and a lot of turds. That's my profound offering for the night. :lol:

But, But, But, I thought Bentley was supposed to come here, we were going to have a giant parade, and a huge block party, we would carry him around town on our shoulders and come bearing gifts to him. He was supposed to be the player that was going to single handedly turn this franchise around

That article is saying exactly what some of us have been saying for a while. The bills are looking at some more smaller known players that could develop into star players for them in our system. We have so many holes to fill, bringing in one or 2 big name stars would not help us improve much from last year cause it would keep us from being able to sign a few more guys that could make an impact. They are also going for youth and speed it seems which can be good cause they will be around for a bit. Now if the BIlls were only one or 2 players away from being a great team, I would be pissed they didn't sign star players for those spots.

But what do I know, I only watch football games, I don't study and analyse games and tapes, research players college history or even read the latest rumor sites. I just watch football for fun.

633198[/snapback]

That is all well and good but I worry that the strategy you describe is an awful lot like the strategy we have used during the TD era. Basically hoping to get lucky with low priced FA's, ie, "smaller known players that could develop". It didn't work. Conversely, the few FA acquisitions that did work were the high profile ones such as Spikes, Milloy and Adams. Those guys didn't come cheap, they were Bentley type FA's, high priced and highly sought after. They worked out just fine.

The cheaper guys for the most part were either failures or barely adequate. Teague, Anderson and Gandy just to name a few.

I believe this to be so true.  Levy is duplicating much of what Polian used to do here.  Heh, things turned out pretty good back then too.

634110[/snapback]

Compare the FA signings we have had over he last 5 years that worked out and those that failed. I think you'll find that the "whammies" worked out a lot better than the underpriced guys.

My hope is that Marv is light years better than TD in spotting underpriced guys that can actually play. I remember that his first acquisition when he first became our HC was Steve Tasker, a nobody off waivers from Houston.