Marv's quote...

The Senator

My guess is Joe's looking for a head coach that can breathe without a portable oxygen machine.  But, that's just my guess.  :P

531156[/snapback]

Ya know...other than a brief battle with prostate cancer - which he beat, thank God - Marv seems a whole lot healthier than most of these younger guys...

High Risk of Coaching...

This isn't a campaign - it's a crusade!

Bring back Marv.

GM would seem to be the more likely scenario. At his age, he would certainly need a very strong assistant, ready to take the helm.

Frankly, I don't think that the whole thing makes much sense.

Seriously, if Levy is named GM, I strongly believe that it will be done as a promotional/ticket selling move.

This is simply my opinion, and I am not saying that it would be impossible for Marv to succeed, however unlikely.

I could disagree more macaroni. 

A head football coach is more of an administrator and leader than an X & O guy anyway.  Greggo was a great X and O guy, couldn't lead a team.  MM was a decent (depends who you speak to) X and O guy, but can't really make the transition to leader.

Take a look at guys like Vermeil, Gibbs, Parcells and even Herm Edwards of the Jets, they don't X and O the opposition to death.  Thats the job of the coordinators.  These guys motivate and inspire the team.  They're like CEOs, laying out the big picture with broad brush strokes and managing people.  It falls to middle management (coordinators & position coaches) to make the CEO's vision possible.

Now, you tell me that if Marv was brought back, supported by Wyche as OC and Capers as DC, April as ST, that we wouldn't have a decent staff?  That a Pro Football Hall-ofFamer wouldn't have the respect of every single player in the room, especially when they saw how Marv was treated by the fans & owner.  I think Marv would do one helluva job here, I really do.  It would be an era of truly good feelings.  I do agree with TD on one thing, I think there is more talent on this team than 4-12, and I think an inspirational leader would get the most out of it.  We haven't had one of those since...well Marv I.

530955[/snapback]

I agree with your thoughts. This would be a good move !

GM would seem to be the more likely scenario. At his age, he would certainly need a very strong assistant, ready to take the helm.

Seriously, if Levy is named GM, I strongly believe that it will be done as a promotional/ticket selling move.

This is simply my opinion, and I am not saying that it would be impossible for Marv to succeed, however unlikely.

531206[/snapback]

After listening to the Felser interview, bringing back Marv make total sense, only not as a GM or coach.

Remember that before TD was hired, the Bills never had a "President" -- only a VP of Football Operations.

Right now, Ralph wants someone who he knows and trusts, and who will be loyal to him. So he brings in Marv as President to "stabilize the organization" and "clean house" (Felser's words), to get the ship pointed in the right direction. Then, Marv hires (or promotes from within) a GM, or VP of Football Ops, or whatever. Then a new coach is hired.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

531206[/snapback]

Personally I'd rather stick with Donahoe than go with Levy as GM. Other than the fact that Levy is beloved in the Buffalo area I can think of no other reason why he'd be hired as GM. People are pissed off at having first time head coaches but somehow they're okay with a GM that has NO NFL FRONT OFFICE EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER? Umm, okay.

Personally I'd rather stick with Donahoe than go with Levy as GM.  Other than the fact that Levy is beloved in the Buffalo area I can think of no other reason why he'd be hired as GM.  People are pissed off at having first time head coaches but somehow they're okay with a GM that has NO NFL FRONT OFFICE EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER?  Umm, okay.

531220[/snapback]

ehhh- take the guy that has been to 4 Superbowls- he's too old to coach, but Ralph would have his fan base back overnight and I think Marv could make much

better Free-Agent aquisitions. And most important it runs Whitey outta town.

ehhh- take the guy that has been to 4 Superbowls- he's too old to coach, but Ralph would have his fan base back overnight and I think Marv could make much

better Free-Agent aquisitions. And most important it runs Whitey outta town.

531235[/snapback]

I'll all for getting rid of Donahoe...as long as his replacement is actually more capable. Running him out of town for anybody willing to take the position isn't what I'm looking for. That's like jumping out of the boiling water and into the fire and thinking you're in better shape for making the leap.

I'll all for getting rid of Donahoe...as long as his replacement is actually more capable.  Running him out of town for anybody willing to take the position isn't what I'm looking for.  That's like jumping out of the boiling water and into the fire and thinking you're in better shape for making the leap.

531240[/snapback]

I understand but we are talking severe football knowledge here, not just somebody that leaves tickets for Elvis at the gate....

Personally I'd rather stick with Donahoe than go with Levy as GM.  Other than the fact that Levy is beloved in the Buffalo area I can think of no other reason why he'd be hired as GM.  People are pissed off at having first time head coaches but somehow they're okay with a GM that has NO NFL FRONT OFFICE EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER?  Umm, okay.

531220[/snapback]

Well I'd rather not see Marv as GM...but that's only 'cause I want him as head coach. Now Marv as GM/HC is fine with me. BTW - Marv was GM in Montreal for 2 years. (Yeah I know that's the CFL, but it is front office experience.)

Jerry Glanville!!!!

Love it! :P

531255[/snapback]

There was a special on him last night on ESPN, pretty interesting- I had to throw that in there. He also does a radio commercial for a restaurant here in Melbourne

FL. where the Flutie Park construction is underway!

Flutie Athletic Complex

2101 Oak Street, Melbourne Beach

Parks Referendum Project

FROM US-192 (Melbourne Cswy), go south on Miramir Ave/SR-A1A 1.0 miles, road becomes Oak Street/SR-A1A. Continue 0.9 miles through light at Ocean Ave. Park is on the left.

Open after 7:00 a.m. until dark, except for scheduled use.

Catching the sea breezes, this 29-acre community park is an athletic complex and home of two youth athletic organizations: South Beaches Little League and Melbourne Beach Soccer Club. Facilities include a medium pavilion, playground, benches, tennis courts, soccer fields, Little League fields, a restroom/concession facility and a restroom/concession with meeting room. Construction and renovations are currently underway through the Parks Referendum Project. Click on the link above for project information.

After listening to the Felser interview, bringing back Marv make total sense, only not as a GM or coach.

Remember that before TD was hired, the Bills never had a "President" -- only a VP of Football Operations. 

Right now, Ralph wants someone who he knows and trusts, and who will be loyal to him. So he brings in Marv as President  to "stabilize the organization" and "clean house" (Felser's words), to get the ship pointed in the right direction.  Then, Marv hires (or promotes from within) a GM, or VP of Football Ops, or whatever.  Then a new coach is hired.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

531219[/snapback]

You forget that Ralph was considered the President even if that title was never attached to his name.

You forget that Ralph was considered the President even if that title was never attached to his name.

531280[/snapback]

Well, of course... but even with TD as President, Ralph still has the ability to fire him :-)

(Is it possible to fire yourself? Don't answer that ;-)

Bringing back Marv would be about the same as the Redskins bringing back Joe Gibbs!

Marv is a Hall of Fame'r, but absent a good GM...Bill Polian...it would likely be the same old sh** different season.  :P

530993[/snapback]

Bad analogy. The Redskins sucked for how many consecutive years pre-Gibbs? And if it wasn't for a bogus 2 pt conversion in Tampa and/or the Giants getting 9 home games, they would be in prime position to win the division. As it is they still control their own destiny with a Giants loss vs. KC on Saturday.

I think they ought to consider firing both TD and MM right now, appointing Marv general manager and interim head coach, and have Marv stay on as General Manager and conduct the search for head coach after the season ends.  No point in prolonging the agony for TD and MM (and US!) and gives Marv time to evaluate and get ready for the draft and free agency.

530913[/snapback]

In fairness to Marv, remember that he actually did come on board in November of 1986. Hank Bullough was fired before the end of the season and Marv Levy came on board to mop up the mess in 1986. It gave him a head start for 1987. The Bills were 4-12 (Levy was 2-5), then 7-8 in 1987 and 12-4 in 1988.

I think he'd be a great interim coach.  He's about 20 clicks smarter than anybody else, and he's a gentleman and a player's coach, yet uncompromising and demanding.

I read his book.  He's great.  They can hire Mariucci to run the offense till Marv hangs it up.

531269[/snapback]

I'm not sure a 4 and 9 team in some disarray will be inspired by an interim coach. They may well interpret it for what it is, a PR move.

If he's hired - and I wouldn't hire him as coach or GM - it better be a permanent position.

I like Levy - who doesn't?, but the game and the financial, cap end of the game have changed. I doubt that he's kept up on the details - why should he have?

If true, I can claim fame by having first asked about this possibility a few weeks back  :P

531395[/snapback]

I have seen this prediction at least 100 times over the last few years on this board... :D

If we are claiming things, I claim to be the first to predict that Pat Williams being let go was going to be disasterous for the Bills defense. God, I was so right, and I got so "flamed" for it! ("that big fat slob only played on 33% of the plays", yadda, yadda....good riddence Phat Pat!")....I am a friggin' genious! :P

At first I thought "Marv for GM, NO WAY!".....but after thinking about it for a while, a trained chimp with a draft day magazine could do a better job than TD has. Why the hell not.....BRING BACK MARV!!!!! :P

531405[/snapback]

I would feel better with Marv as HC than GM! If Marv is back though, I say he has some sort of front office job, where he can help to mentor Mularkey...strictly PR!

I'm sure many have already heard it on Howard Simon's show this AM, - last nite at Marv was asked about his interest in coaching again.  His reply was someting like...

"I have to be careful about this.  I have been contacted by two teams about coaching again, and I'm thinking about it.  One of them is not the Bills.  And that's all I can say."

That would seem to imply that the other team IS the Bills.

Marv

Bring back Marv!

530838[/snapback]

I hate to be the guy to rain on the parade, but Marv's statement doesn't necessarily imply anything. Taken at face value, he said 2 of the 32 teams in the NFL have contacted him re: working in a football-related capacity. One of them is not the Bills. No comment was made as to whether the second team is or is not the Bills. All it means is that a team other than the Bills has contacted him about a possible return to the league. We're inferring that the second interested team is the Bills.

Marv is a pretty shrewd guy. While his statement doesn't preclude the theory that the Bills have expressed interest in his services, he may well have chosen his words carefully to drum up this kind of interest and, for lack of a more artful way of putting it, incited the masses to talk about and perhaps clamor for his return.