OTAs 5/21

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree.

As someone who has been vocal the past few weeks about our WR room not being up to snuff, I feel a bit better about it today than I did on May 1st.

MVS, while not a world beater, adds some depth and downfield ability. Claypool so far is saying and doing all the right things, and if he actually has his head screwed on straight, has shown in the past that he has the ability to be an 800 yards per year type talent. I've been focusing more on what Coleman potentially CAN do than what he CAN'T do, and that has softened my apprehension about him at least a little bit. Beane talked up Shakir as being underrated on the Chris Long show, and I suspect he may have a big role this year.

I said all along that if they weren't gonna have top quality, then I at least wanted them to have quantity and variety. With Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, MVS, Claypool, Hollins, and then a Shorter/Shavers/Hamler deathmatch....I think the WR group may be fine. I still don't think it's gonna make anyone's top 10 lists, but combined with Kincaid/Knox, Cook/Davis, and the way Brady likes to spread the ball around, I think the Bills still have a chance to be pretty good on offense.

All of that said...I still hope they draft, sign, or trade for a dynamic WR in 2025, and I'd still be fine with them acquiring one post June 1st this year as well, though I give it an extremely low chance of happening.

Sounds like McDermott is pretty optimistic with Claypool, so doubt we do anything June 1. More likely, wait and see what happens in camp with this ragtag group. 

The MVS signing gave me more hope and if Claypool has his head on straight again, we could have a pick your poison type WR committee, where a different guy steps up each game.  It will certainly be harder for DCs to gameplan for us to take away our one strength (considering we don't have one!)

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He looks like Kincaid did under a similar situation last year.  Just a natural at snagging the ball and turning upfield.

He'll need to play where Kincaid plays though, lined up inside against LBs or slot WRs.  He'll get manhandled outside by bigger NFL CBs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I was at the game as well, and I respectfully disagree that it was the correct call.

The league effectively said "well he didn't follow the rule that we have for this situation, but we knew what he MEANT to do". They let the player off the hook for not following a clearly written NFL rule. That sets a dangerous precedent. As Shaw pointed out earlier in the thread, why did Dawkins not get the same leeway later in the game for the blindside block call?

I understand why the NFL did it, I guess, but I will NEVER agree that it was the right thing to do. Should've been a Bills touchdown.

I should probably be happy that it helped the Bills get the draft spot a little sweeter to trade for Diggs but I'm with you.

It's a little softer now that the Bills are now regular contenders but just...come on

How many times in the drought era did it seem like the Bills died by ticky tak calls: Hughes slapping a teammates helmet being a personal foul, Brady turning 4th and long to a first down because someone got nudged at the 5.1 yard mark past LOS, and seemingly every judgement, the 0 play clock non calls. I mean Jerry Hughes could write a book about getting screwed over.

And now here was a moment where FOR ONCE the Bills were the beneficiary of a technicality and it is at that moment where the NFL went "eh, we know what he *meant* to do" 

That didn't lose the game for the Bills, but it would have sealed it, were it not for the NFL overturning a correctly called rule

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say the only reason he’s on the team is because they like him as a person.

That is true.  You mentioned a couple guys on the couch and then said "Mckenzie likely has a job because Schoen and Daboll like him as a person"

I interpreted that as indicating he had the job because they like him as a person, not because he brings a relatively hard to find skill set with his speed/quickness, that Daboll believes he can exploit

They obviously like his speed, it’s the only thing he brings to the table on the football field.  I should’ve been more detailed in my explanation.  

It's not just speed, it's his combination of speed and quickness - some guys are fast running in a straight line.  I dunno that it's the only thing he brings, but it's certainly the factor that keeps him employed going into his 8th season.

if they didn’t like him as a person, he wouldn’t be on the team.  He was suspended for the season for conduct detrimental to a team.  If they didn’t like him as a person. I don’t see why a coach/GM would sign a player that was a poor punt returner while also getting the 🥾 if they didn’t like the guy in the locker room, why would they risk bringing him in?  Because they know and like him…..and he’s fast.  If he was just fast….he wouldn’t have been signed imo.  

Yes, I'm sure having previously coached a player gives confidence in signing a guy who has been in a spot of trouble, but I don't think it's the primary reason he got the gig. 

Speed and quickness in a guy who has shown he can actually play football at WR and on ST is valuable enough on its own to keep earning chances.  Look at the way Andy Isabella, who has 33 receptions for 447 yards in SIX NFL SEASONS, keeps getting signed.  McKenzie has his limitations, but he put up more receptions and yards in just 2022.  We like to dunk on him here, and that's fine, but I don't agree he's getting signed because Daboll likes him.  If Daboll liked him just as much but he'd lost his speed he'd be nudging Kumerow to move over on the couch.

18 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yep.

It's nice to be nice to the nice.

OMG

one of our favorites still

ex wife and I still toss that into our conversations.

Thanks for the chuckle and memories

😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That is true.  You mentioned a couple guys on the couch and then said "Mckenzie likely has a job because Schoen and Daboll like him as a person"

I interpreted that as indicating he had the job because they like him as a person, not because he brings a relatively hard to find skill set with his speed/quickness, that Daboll believes he can exploit

It's not just speed, it's his combination of speed and quickness - some guys are fast running in a straight line.  I dunno that it's the only thing he brings, but it's certainly the factor that keeps him employed going into his 8th season.

Yes, I'm sure having previously coached a player gives confidence in signing a guy who has been in a spot of trouble, but I don't think it's the primary reason he got the gig. 

Speed and quickness in a guy who has shown he can actually play football at WR and on ST is valuable enough on its own to keep earning chances.  Look at the way Andy Isabella, who has 33 receptions for 447 yards in SIX NFL SEASONS, keeps getting signed.  McKenzie has his limitations, but he put up more receptions and yards in just 2022.  We like to dunk on him here, and that's fine, but I don't agree he's getting signed because Daboll likes him.  If Daboll liked him just as much but he'd lost his speed he'd be nudging Kumerow to move over on the couch.

I think his time on the couch next to Kumerow is coming soon.  Maybe in 2025.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Sounds like McDermott is pretty optimistic with Claypool, so doubt we do anything June 1. More likely, wait and see what happens in camp with this ragtag group. 

The MVS signing gave me more hope and if Claypool has his head on straight again, we could have a pick your poison type WR committee, where a different guy steps up each game.  It will certainly be harder for DCs to gameplan for us to take away our one strength (considering we don't have one!)

He'll need to play where Kincaid plays though, lined up inside against LBs or slot WRs.  He'll get manhandled outside by bigger NFL CBs

Any more additions went out the window with the signing of MVS, in my opinion. If they were going to go with something more, they wouldn't have signed him, after Drafting Coleman and (to a lesser extent) signing Claypool.

We lost 4 WR's. We brought in 5 between FA and the Draft. And that doesn't take into account Futures/PS players like Hamler, last year's 5th Round Pick in Shorter coming off redshirt, and UDFA's.

Keon Coleman replaces Diggs as the 'X', MVS replaces Davis, Curtis Samuel (greatly) replaces Harty, and Mack Hollins replaces Sherfield. Leaving Claypool, Shorter, Hamler, Isabella, and the rest of the field battling for one spot - the rest being cut.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I was at the game as well, and I respectfully disagree that it was the correct call.

The league effectively said "well he didn't follow the rule that we have for this situation, but we knew what he MEANT to do". They let the player off the hook for not following a clearly written NFL rule. That sets a dangerous precedent. As Shaw pointed out earlier in the thread, why did Dawkins not get the same leeway later in the game for the blindside block call?

Not to be a nudge, but the crackback call was on Cody Ford.  But we did get yet another apology letter from the NFL.  Yeah Buffalo, it was a bad call.  So sorry we ***** you up the ass with no lube.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Not to be a nudge, but the crackback call was on Cody Ford.  But we did get yet another apology letter from the NFL.  Yeah Buffalo, it was a bad call.  So sorry we ***** you up the ass with no lube.

And apparently that’s one of the plays they use to show referees what doesn’t constitute a crack back block. Just unreal to get the personal foul call and later Cody’s fine upheld only for the league to completely reverse track well after the fact. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, boyst said:

hey don't knock Perry. He's a good dude. his nephew is down here where my farm is; Shy. he played for the Saints a while and now with CArolina.  good kid.

Nothing against him personally, but that he was a bust for the Bills who caught balls by trapping them against his body is not debatable.  He was a draft mistake.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I have to disagree...I think Daboll signed him because McKenzie knows the system and I am not even sure he makes the roster, and if he does, its doubtful its a meaningful role.  McKenzie is just not a good WR, and for a guy whose speed gets talked about so much, he really does not play that fast on the field.  He is more quick than fast, and when "speed" is your only sign-able trait (because its definitely not his hands, route running, toughness, or special teams play), being more quick than fast is why you bounce from team to team.  

I mean being one of the most desperate teams in the NFL for WR's and speed is probably why Giants signed him, and may be the only reason McKenzie has a real shot at a job this year as he likely would have been nothing more than camp fodder on any other roster outside maybe the Pats with no real shot to make the active 53 most places because he just doesn't add much on ST's.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think his time on the couch next to Kumerow is coming soon.  Maybe in 2025.  

Oh for sure.  He's 29 years old, his calling cards have been speed, quickness and availability.  At 29, Father Time is gonna catch up to him Real Soon Now.  He got out-played by Colts rookie Josh Downs last season (Downs is looking like a potential steal of a 3rd round pick).  It actually wouldn't surprise me if McKenzie didn't make the Giants final 53, but I haven't been following the Giants roster enough to know what the competition is

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Are there OTAs today or is it canceled?

The Players' Agreement does not allow them to have OTAs for the whole week.  They did them for a couple days this week and they'll do it again next week.  Every other team in the league does the same. 

Edited by BigAl2526

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

The Players' Agreement does not allow them to have OTAs for the whole week.  They did them for a couple days this week and they'll do it again next week.  Every other team in the league does the same. 

Thanks! Looks like Fox sports had it wrong.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-otas-and-minicamps-schedule-and-dates-for-all-32-teams