Should the Bills add an Edge after 6/1?

Lots of talk here about adding a WR, but to me a pass rushing DE looks like the biggest need on this team. Our top three are Rousseau, Miller and Epenesa. I don’t know what Miller will provide this season, but I don’t want the Bills to have to depend on him. I linked Spotrac’s available FA Edge players below. Thoughts on who might be a reasonable addition on or around 6/2?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2024/status/available/position/edge/sort/contract_value

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Yes  if it’s financially feasible.

DE is our weakest position on the team as it stands. Von looked like a shell of himself and Roussea or anyone else hasn’t stepped up in the pass rush department.

If it makes sense I think Beane will do it 

Edited by DJB
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Javon Solomon is going to be a force as a rookie IMO 

I am strangely hopeful that he will be a steal. Lack of ideal height is offset by those freakishly long arms. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I am strangely hopeful that he will be a steal. Lack of ideal height is offset by those freakishly long arms. 

His muscle development is outstanding and he can beat OT's with speed or power.  He also has a habit of really hammering QB's 

• Like (+1) 4

Carousel mercenaries like Lawson or Yannick might serve.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly, the Bills hitting on a budding superstar EDGE brings this team right out of “retooling year” and right back to contender status. It’s the kind of thing we need.

My concern for Solomon will be that he physically can’t hang on the edge except in obvious passing situations. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, FireChans said:

Honestly, the Bills hitting on a budding superstar EDGE brings this team right out of “retooling year” and right back to contender status. It’s the kind of thing we need.

My concern for Solomon will be that he physically can’t hang on the edge except in obvious passing situations. 

I mean that would be OK.  It's possible he has 10-12 sacks as a situational pass rusher.  I'm not familiar with his abilities against the run

I'd like to see some staggered D looks or 3-4 type alignments on 3rd downs.... essentially Von and Javon lining up at OLB

Rousseau     DaQuan    Oliver   
Von                                                      Solomon 

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

No, roll that money into safety depth.

? We just signed a Safety who has played in 49 games for the Bucs and is at the very least the 4th Safety on the depth chart 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean that would be OK.  It's possible he has 10-12 sacks as a situational pass rusher.  I'm not familiar with his abilities against the run

I'd like to see some staggered D looks or 3-4 type alignments on 3rd downs.... essentially Von and Javon lining up at OLB

Rousseau     DaQuan    Oliver   
Von                                                      Solomon 

? We just signed a Safety who has played in 49 games for the Bucs and is at the very least the 4th Safety on the depth chart 

10-12 sacks is SO HIGH man. 

I would take 5 and say that was a wonderful rookie year lol.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes but that's all we'd need from him this year.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Lots of talk here about adding a WR, but to me a pass rushing DE looks like the biggest need on this team. Our top three are Rousseau, Miller and Epenesa. I don’t know what Miller will provide this season, but I don’t want the Bills to have to depend on him. I linked Spotrac’s available FA Edge players below. Thoughts on who might be a reasonable addition on or around 6/2?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2024/status/available/position/edge/sort/contract_value

Agreed. 

Valdez-Scantling was the receiver. 

We need another pass-rusher. Stat. Well, after the money becomes available anyway.

Someone like Ngakoue, if affordable, would be terrific.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He could be. I really like his potential, it's just that I don't want to expect so much from him as a rookie.

I think that the signing of Casey Toohill was a quietly good move by the Bills. I think he will be good in obvious pass rush situations.

Adding another DE after June 1st, would be a wise move by the Bills.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Greg

Von

AJ

Smoot

Solomon

I agree it's a big need and aj starting is not good, but we don't really have a spot at the moment unless they plan on carrying 6

You forgot Toohill. He had 5 sacks last year in 8 starts, he might be a late bloomer. I prefer him over Solomon until proven otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have two areas of great concern for me in 2024 with that first place schedule. A pass rusher is #1 after losing Leonard Floyd for sure. The primary concern is getting to the QB to disrupt the opponent's offense.

I keep going back to that Chiefs-Buccaneers Super Bowl game while watching Mahomes running for his life all game long. What a joy to watch...even if it was Brady as the winning QB!

The next area is center as that player usually calls for the offensive protections and is the key to how well that interior performs. The Chiefs drafted Creed Humphrey who has become the very best center in the league while that Chiefs interior doesn't allow anyone close to the QB despite their crappy tackles. 

Buffalo's center position is a great concern because no matter how well the Buffalo receivers play...it won't matter if Allen can't get them the ball. I realize the Bills have a plan to replace Mitch Morse. I just don't see it yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills clearly like AJ and Groot, hence their re-signing the former and picking up the 5th year option on the latter.

I think they're counting on Von looking more like Von this season. 

Assuming that happens -- and I realize that's a big assumption -- that's a solid "starting" three right there.

I think Soloman, Smoot, Toohill, and Kingsley Jonathan battle it out for the remaining two spots.

At the end of the day, I think it winds up being AJ, Groot, Von, Soloman, and Smoot. (Side note, we'd have a Groot and a Smoot. That's fun).

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather use the post June 1st money on a dependable outside corner than an edge.

• Agree 2

My hot take on this team is that the Defensive line is the weak spot.  Barring the rookie actually being a legitimate pass rusher I think there are going to be some issues over the course of the season in hitting the quarterback.

on the flip side I think they will be excellent against the run.  Hopefully the secondary will be outstanding making the line better.

I am all for them continuing to try and add talent on the D Line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1