Bills Sign Bucs UFA Safety Dee Delaney

I agree, it will be hard for Hamlin to make this team.  Delaney has shortcomings, but he's managed to hang around the league and worked his way up from a special teamer to a guy who can start in a pinch.  He's even got a little speed with a sub -4.5 40.  I think the Bills could stand to upgrade the depth at safety some more (and find another quality starter too) but I think they can probably get by with this group at safety in 2024. 

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

Getting the feeling that Hyde is going to sit out as long as he can to save his body, maybe reserve himself for a mid-season signing if the defensive backfield needs a boost for a playoff run...

Maybe he's waiting to see how the team (particularly the new offense) looks. No point risking his health if we don't have a legit shot to make a run.

18 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Was active for the Bucs in all 17 games last season.  Had 2 INT's as a depth player. 

At the very least an upgrade from Cam Lewis and Hamlin 

5'11  200 lbs  ran a 4.46   

29 years old. Played CB at Miami U 

Played at U OF Miami.  Miami U is in Ohio.

17 hours ago, DJB said:

Sad to say but if the cardiac arrest had never happened to Hamlin I firmly believe he would have already been cut. 

Hes a liability on the field with his play 

I don't remember him being THAT bad.  He started 13 games for a top 10 defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree, it will be hard for Hamlin to make this team.  Delaney has shortcomings, but he's managed to hang around the league and worked his way up from a special teamer to a guy who can start in a pinch.  He's even got a little speed with a sub -4.5 40.  I think the Bills could stand to upgrade the depth at safety some more (and find another quality starter too) but I think they can probably get by with this group at safety in 2024. 

It should be hard for depth players to make the team.  It's honestly something i appreciate a lot about beane.  He fills out depth, he drafts depth, and lets them fight it out for spots.  I personally think Hyde is brought back, and i also think he's still a starter here.  I don't hate what they've done at the position in a transition year, i just think Hyde's still better than the players buffalo brought in.  

With Buffalo drafting a potential neal/nickel depth in hardy - who is also a returner - Cam lewis probably also plugs into that same S depth group.  

Bishop

Rapp

Edwards

Delaney

Hamlin

Lewis

42 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It should be hard for depth players to make the team.  It's honestly something i appreciate a lot about beane.  He fills out depth, he drafts depth, and lets them fight it out for spots.  I personally think Hyde is brought back, and i also think he's still a starter here.  I don't hate what they've done at the position in a transition year, i just think Hyde's still better than the players buffalo brought in.  

With Buffalo drafting a potential neal/nickel depth in hardy - who is also a returner - Cam lewis probably also plugs into that same S depth group.  

Bishop

Rapp

Edwards

Delaney

Hamlin

Lewis

Delaney and Lewis have the flex to play nickel corner incase of injuries and also special teams guys Hamlin barely can play safety and definitely not nickel corner. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wppete said:

Delaney and Lewis have the flex to play nickel corner incase of injuries and also special teams guys Hamlin barely can play safety and definitely not nickel corner. 

Hamlin has more starts than both combined, and while he didn't do anything impressive, he wasn't the liability people claim him to be.  Coming off a near death, and a circus offseason, i didn't expect him to contribute last season.  But a year removed?  I didn't see much from Lewis to elevate him, and I don't get very excited about a depth player who is on his 6th NFL team.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

6 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Bishop

Rapp

Edwards

Delaney

Hamlin

Lewis

I don't presume to have a clue about Hyde is going to do.  I know, the longer he takes to make up his mind, the more pressure it creates for the Bills, who would like know in training camp what they have at safety.  

8 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Hamlin has more starts than both combined, and while he didn't do anything impressive, he wasn't the liability people claim him to be.  Coming off a near death, and a circus offseason, i didn't expect him to contribute last season.  But a year removed?  I didn't see much from Lewis to elevate him, and I don't get very excited about a depth player who is on his 6th NFL team.  

He was definitely a liability when on the field but the Bills didn’t have many options.  

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I don't presume to have a clue about Hyde is going to do.  I know, the longer he takes to make up his mind, the more pressure it creates for the Bills, who would like know in training camp what they have at safety.  

Randomly caught Movin The Chains on NFL Radio while driving and they were discussing Safety rooms. 

Got to us and had zero chill about Hyde.  Basically said it’s time for us to give him an ultimatum. 

I have to imagine Beane has an idea behind the scenes of where his head is at. 

8 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Neither Hamlin or Lewis deserve to remain on this roster.  We have to raise the bar a little on depth players.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Hamlin is absolutely terrible in coverage. 

Allowed 71% completions, 18 yards per catch, and 143 QBR. Had 2 PBUs on the season. 

He’s better blitzing/vs the run but still had 7.1% missed tackle rate. 

Hamlin should be on the practice squad, he’s clearly the 6th best safety on the team. 

• Agree 2

On 5/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, Rubes said:

Getting the feeling that Hyde is going to sit out as long as he can to save his body, maybe reserve himself for a mid-season signing if the defensive backfield needs a boost for a playoff run...

I agree. Bills tell Hyde to stay in top shape and we’ll call you if we need you for a playoff run. Less wear and tear on Hyde and insurance for Bills if something happens to one of their safeties.