Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He was WR3 

Davis was WR2

Any further questions 

MVS in Buffalo is likely behind:

Kincaid

Samuel

Shakir

Coleman

Cook

So, if you're including other positions for KC, he's probably Option #6 in our Offense, competing with Knox and Davis for targets.

The only way he moves up this list is if other guys falter or he steps up.  But entering the Summer, this is where he stands.

Edited by SCBills

On the one hand, it bugs me that Beane is spending less this year on the WR room than the majority of NFL GMs despite having a QB who can throw the ball all over the field.

On the other hand, I don't think the cupboard is bare.  If a couple guys with spotty or unproven backgrounds step up, and if Brady is good at scheming up an offense, we'll move the ball and score points.  

Yeah, there are too many ifs but they're not complete longshots.   Keeping my fingers crossed.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

MVS in Buffalo is likely behind:

Kincaid

Samuel

Shakir

Coleman

Cook

So, if you're including other positions for KC, he's probably Option #6 in our Offense, competing with Knox and Davis for targets.

The only way he moves up this list is if other guys falter or he steps up.  But entering the Summer, this is where he stands.

Guess we will have to wait and see won't we

Buffalo Bills WR room slogan this year should be "The sum is greater than the parts."  

Issue with their WR/TE group is they're either very young or a one-trick pony.  It'll take a lot of scheme and tremendous development to get consistent production.  

Still no all-around WRs on the roster who can remain on the field in most situations.  Diggs lined up in different positions and offered versatility they now lack.  

It's still going to be a predictable offense in certain situations.  

12 hours ago, Logic said:

MVS has 1,500 more career receiving yards and 6 more TDs than Hollins in the same amount of seasons. MVS has also made a few big plays in the playoffs en route to KC Super Bowl runs, whereas Hollins has really never done anything notable on a big stage.

I'll grant you that Claypool's most productive seasons were better than MVS's, but he's three years removed from those now, as his career has taken a STEEP decline, and he was a Bills signing away from playing in Canada.

Cephus and Hamler have no argument.

To be honest, though, the fact that we're sitting here arguing the comparative merits of MVS, Chase Claypool, and Quintez freaking Cephus is pretty emblematic of what kind of offseason it's been for the Bills in terms of getting Josh Allen any viable weaponry at receiver.

MVS has played with prime Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes has never put up a single season better than either Chase or Hollins.  

And no, this is not indicative of “what kind of offseason it’s been” for getting Allen more weapons.  We are talking about guys who will be at and of the bench from WR4 to WR6.  And all if these guys are on par, or even better, than a lot of teams WRs at end of bench, including the back to back SB champs.  

So don’t over exaggerate this as if these guys are here to be primary weapons at the top of the depth chart, at least one, or maybe two will not even make this roster.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If Coleman is hurt I think MVS steps in as the first boundary WR off the bench. I think Shorter and if he turns it around Claypool could also be in that mix if they show up strong in camp/pre-season. I think this signing shows me they really don’t want to be in a situation where they are a single injury away from having to play the special teams ace on the boundary like they were last season.

Well I look at it like the ST guy plays... the game the player is injured.  But the next week you install the depth player who will start the next game.  

Not going to start an entire topic on this but since we’re talking WR, does Shorter have any potential? I know next to nothing about him and we haven’t been able to see him play of course. 

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

On the one hand, it bugs me that Beane is spending less this year on the WR room than the majority of NFL GMs despite having a QB who can throw the ball all over the field.

On the other hand, I don't think the cupboard is bare.  If a couple guys with spotty or unproven backgrounds step up, and if Brady is good at scheming up an offense, we'll move the ball and score points.  

Yeah, there are too many ifs but they're not complete longshots.   Keeping my fingers crossed.  

We have a lot of reason for hope, but as I said in another thread.. hope isn't a strategy.  

We also have a lot of "what ifs"..

Our WR room has a pretty high ceiling IF Coleman is the real deal, IF Shakir continues to ascend, IF Samuel just needed a good QB, IF Kincaid makes the Year 2 leap to top tier TE, IF Cook stops dropping big passes... and so on...

I like our OL and think we're strong at RB/TE around Josh.  The Offense really hinges on making this WR room work for what Brady/Allen envision.

On Defense.. very similar what ifs, but on the DL...

I think we're much better at DT with Oliver/Jones backed up by Johnson & Carter, but DE is highly volatile with say.. Rousseau, Epenesa, Von, Smoot & Solomon.  If they all hit, our Defense is looking great, but that's a lot of hope to put Von/Smoot a full year removed from major injury and a rookie pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

The bottom line for me is the Bills need WR with hands of glue. I HATE DROPS.

May the best WR's deem themselves worthy  at camp to be on this roster

Welcome to Buffalo Marquez Vasquez Scantling

You hear me? HANDS OF GLUE Marquez . Gracias in advance. BRING IT and we will love you in return.  GO BILLS

meh I keep thinking this guy has a lot of KC stink on him I dunno. He's gonna need to show up and out. for US. 

Just now, stevestojan said:

Not going to start an entire topic on this but since we’re talking WR, does Shorter have any potential? I know next to nothing about him and we haven’t been able to see him play of course. 

I bet Shavers has a better shot at sticking.  There's been talk about him staying in Buffalo and working all year and he has a reputation as a top special teams player.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So don’t over exaggerate this as if these guys are here to be primary weapons at the top of the depth chart, at least one, or maybe two will not even make this roster.  

You're right. They have no chance of overtaking such proven top-of-the-depth-chart stalwarts as Curtis Samuel and rookie Keon Coleman.

Look, we're just gonna go round and round in circles on this thing, Alpha.

I think the Bills have a bottom five in the league WR group. You don't. Let's just shake hands and growl at each other a little and call it a day.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

The bottom line for me is the Bills need WR with hands of glue. I HATE DROPS.

May the best WR's deem themselves worthy  at camp to be on this roster

Welcome to Buffalo Marquez Vasquez Scantling

You hear me? HANDS OF GLUE Marquez . Gracias in advance. BRING IT and we will love you in return.  GO BILLS

meh I keep thinking this guy has a lot of KC stink on him I dunno. He's gonna need to show up and out. for US. 

Uhhh... while I can appreciate the sentiment, MVS and hands of glue seem to be unlikely bedfellows. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

You're right. They have no chance of overtaking such proven top-of-the-depth-chart stalwarts as Curtis Samuel and rookie Keon Coleman.

Look, we're just gonna go round and round in circles on this thing, Alpha.

I think the Bills have a bottom five in the league WR group. You don't. Let's just shake hands and growl at each other a little and call it a day.

It’s all good…but come on man, come back to reality.  If you think MVS, Chase, or Hollins are capable of over taking Samuel and even Coleman, then that is the wildest take I have seen all off season.  

I can accept you are not high on the group, but that is such an unrealistic and over the top take.  

The only caveat is that Claypool actually has the pure ability and talent to be a WR1 or WR2 and succeed in this league.  But his attitude, mental ineptitude, entitlement, etc have sunk his stock to lower than ABs.  So if he shocks and comes in and busts his tail off, hustles, puts the effort and work in, he could surprise and maybe be the WR2 for the Bills at some point.  But that’s a lot to ask, and I’m not holding my breath as it’s rare a guy can make that kind of turnaround when things like effort and selfishness are so ingrained in their character.  

MVS is a deep threat.  15 plus yard per catch for his career.  He isn't a potential star but a solid role player.  I think it fits the offense and adds an element missing.  Those plays in the playoffs are what he would be brought in for.  Shakir, Sanders, Coleman, MVS, Hollins.  Claypool, Hamler, Isabella, Shorter and Shavers look for 1 sport maybe push for Hollins or MVS spot.  Compared to KC and Baltimore it is plenty good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ngbills said:

When Diggs was on this roster I would bet if he was still on this roster not many would be saying Diggs is not a #1. Now that he is gone the narrative is he sucked anyway. Ok. So all the times people wanted to add to the wr room and we didn’t need to because we had Diggs and anyone else was gravy. 

Just pointing out that Diggs hasn’t been all that in the post season, and the later half of last season, did I want someone like a Franklin in the draft? Yes, yes I did, I wanted a double dip at WR, it didn’t happen, so constant complaining about it isn’t changing anything, I moved on…, 

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, transient said:

Uhhh... while I can appreciate the sentiment, MVS and hands of glue seem to be unlikely bedfellows. 

well I was stating my intention and the thought is now out there.  We all would love to have that production  🙂

Edited by muppy

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s just a shorthand for the quality of a player. Nothing artificial about that. You don’t need to use it, but it’s helpful to understand it. 

I’d rather have several good guys vs. 1 great guy 

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1