Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe because a) draft picks don't come with guarantees even in "the best WR class in decades"   b) Day 3 rookies are rarely ready to play full time WR for teams aspiring to Super Bowl contention  c) maybe the Bills liked the players they drafted better than the WRs that were available when they picked.

Shades of Mecole Hardman in the Super Bowl.

What’s funny is that MVS had basically his career average his first year starting.

I’d take my chances on a fourth or fifth round WR contributing this year over Ray Davis. That’s just me though. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That begs the question:  what the hell do you want?

Double dip at WR in the draft was the obvious move. Signing the more talented OBJ for almost the same money we are getting MVS for. Don't act like there weren't other options.

• Like (+1) 5

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brandon Beane Chess not Checkers

Don’t draft 2 WR’s in the best WR class in decades, draft DL and safety, then bargain bin shop for bad old WR’s that are tapped out.

MVS is a literal success story as a fifth round pick. So is Quintus Cephus. Why not draft the next version of those guys with potential vs these bums?

While I do agree with your take on Beane missing out on future starts for retreads, I am happy that he sees we had a need for vertical threats in our offense and is giving it some competition in Claypool, Hamler and MVS. The former two have incredible upside if they could either stay healthy or in claypools case focus on his craft and MVS, although he has a tendency to drop the ball, he also has made some big plays throughout his career (He’s our faster Gabe Davis). To get our new Gabe Davis in a WR5 mold instead of WR2 is an improvement if he makes the team at all

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

He was a terrible WR3/4 but that’s what he was. He was the 4th most targeted WR on the roster. He played 392 snaps to Harty’s 155.

He was the de facto boundary starter when Gabe went down with injury. Neither Shakir nor Harty played outside as much as he did. Just like Mack Hollins will next year.

Hell, he played more snaps than Shakir in the playoffs vs the Chiefs. 

You can argue he was the WR4 but Harty had more receptions, carries and yards while Sherfield had more snaps and one more target. I simply don’t think you can argue Sherfield was the WR3. Also were the snaps he played in the KC playoff game factoring in his special teams snaps? Sheffield played on almost every ST unit. 

13 hours ago, appoo said:

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

That was Andre Reed-esque moves in the open field by Shakir... knowing where people are behind you and making the right moves to give them bad angles and then changing it up last second in the other direction...

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Double dip at WR in the draft was the obvious move. Signing the more talented OBJ for almost the same money we are getting MVS for. Don't act like there weren't other options.

Double dipping for who?  Give me a name.  It’s easy to just throw that out there.  And OJ is a 3rd or 4th option at this point and isn’t that fast anymore.  kind f like Diggs will be at best the Texans 2nd option, more likely their third. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

You can argue he was the WR4 but Harty had more receptions, carries and yards while Sherfield had more snaps and one more target. I simply don’t think you can argue Sherfield was the WR3. Also were the snaps he played in the KC playoff game factoring in his special teams snaps? Sheffield played on almost every ST unit. 

Of course you can argue it.  You’d be wrong but that hasn’t stopped folks before.

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What’s funny is that MVS had basically his career average his first year starting.

I’d take my chances on a fourth or fifth round WR contributing this year over Ray Davis. That’s just me though. 

You won't say that after the first game you watch him play I'll bet.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

He played more than twice as much as Harty and had more balls thrown his way. It’s inarguable he was higher than Harty on the depth chat. That one bum outproduced the other bum is less relevant. 

Those are offensive snaps only.

He was the de facto WR2 in the KC game because Gabe was hurt. So he was really WR3 in boundary depth. Because Shakir exists as a slot guy, Sherfield was technically 3/4 imo. 

It will be the same this year. Mack Hollins or MVS will be starting at outside WR if someone twists an ankle. They won’t be WR5-6.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

You won't say that after the first game you watch him play I'll bet.

O/U on carries in game 1?

line set at 4.5, hammering the under.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was Andre Reed-esque moves in the open field by Shakir... knowing where people are behind you and making the right moves to give them bad angles and then changing it up last second in the other direction...

That’s funny.  He ran away from the Jets DBs.  But our WRs have no speed.  Maybe it was an optical illusion.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Gtd $ 1.2 vs 3

bonus up to 4.5 vs up to 8.25

almost the same = over twice as much?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Glad we did this.

MVS was clutch in the Playoffs last year, which is not much that we can say consistently for anyone we've put around Josh.

Gives us a true speed/vertical threat, which is a WR element we desperately needed.

That WR6 battle is going to be an absolute crucible.   Coleman, Shakir, Samuel and MVS all look like locks.  MVS signing a 1.125M guaranteed deal, incentives up to 4.5M.   Hollins, the way they talk about him, seems like a lock.  That's five .. and honestly, with Kincaid, Knox, Cook, Davis... could work. 

I don't necessarily hate our WR room.   Would've loved a high level proven WR, but it seems with this signing that the $$$ we open 6/1 may be earmarked elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone who says that Beane hasn't tried to help Josh this offseason needs to stop trolling the board. While I'm not the biggest MVS fan he definitely is improved depth to what had previously. He could be a good #3/4 WR with speed on the outside. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Glad we did this.

MVS was clutch in the Playoffs last year, which is not much that we can say consistently for anyone we've put around Josh.

Gives us a true speed/vertical threat, which is a WR element we desperately needed.

That WR6 battle is going to be an absolute crucible.   Coleman, Shakir, Samuel and MVS all look like locks.  MVS signing a 1.125M guaranteed deal, incentives up to 4.5M.   Hollins, the way they talk about him, seems like a lock.  That's five .. and honestly, with Kincaid, Knox, Cook, Davis... could work. 

I don't necessarily hate our WR room.   Would've loved a high level proven WR, but it seems with this signing that the $$$ we open 6/1 may be earmarked elsewhere. 

If you’re looking for consistency, look away from MVS catching 2 balls per game in the playoffs. 

Just now, FireChans said:

If you’re looking for consistency, look away from MVS catching 2 balls per game in the playoffs. 

I don't expect him to be anything more than a poor man's Gabe Davis in our Offense.. but it's still something we need to be able to threaten defenses with. 

• Like (+1) 1