WR trade candidates, who do you want?

It feels like a trade HAS to be coming. We have $10.2M more in cap space coming up after June 1. I know Beane likes to have a small cushion for in-season moves but he is not going to leave that much available cap space.

And Beane has been seemingly deliberate with how blatantly he's ignored the #2 outside WR. If I've said it once I've said it 100 times - Mack Hollins will not be our #2 outside WR. I just don't believe Beane would let that happen.

So reading the tea leaves I believe a plan is already in place and will come to fruition at the right time. Of the available names, Metcalf makes the most sense for someone we could trade for and have the trading team retain some of the cap hit so we could get him on the roster and then immediately extend him. Hopkins probably won't be available until the trade deadline. Aiyuk I believe we would not be able to afford to even place him on the roster to then extend him because his 5th year option is fully guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The only way I can think they would do this is if it came from T Pegula.  That is my fear, that without Kim, T Pegula may be tightening the purse strings and want to save for a boost next year with the stadium filling as a concern.

But this would have to be against Beane's wishes.  Beane will look terrible if this is the talent he is sending out there this year.  It would be his worst year as a GM by a lot.

Yeah I've wondered if Terry Pegula will tighten the purse strings........but I don't expect that really.   I'm not sure he's that keenly involved to start pulling a Ralph yet.   Ralph grew up before the US financial system was thoroughly rigged and I think he still always felt like his net worth could go south in a hurry if he didn't try to pinch pennies.  

If Beane is a top GM he will understand that you can't let the momentum of money steer you.   By that,  I mean, you can't expect to win if you are trying to drastically re-set your cap situation.  

You have to be ready for opportunity when it knocks.

Not being ready for the prosperity that fate is presenting is how they missed on Patrick Mahomes in 2017.    They were fortunate that the Allen pick bailed them out.   There hasn't been a Mahomes or Allen enter the league SINCE Mahomes and Allen.   Joe Burrow is the closest but he's not been durable enough to qualify.

I want to believe that Beane knows that you gotta' make that hay when the sun shines.  No guarantee that it's going to be a favorable talent market when you feel you have have extensively re-set your cap.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Poles is still the GM.  He was very vocal that any trade with Carolina would involve Moore.  Moore is viewed at the number 1.  

GM's lie.  Did he say that before or after they drafted Rome?  

Anyway, even if you eliminate Moore, the point remains, there are some possibilities out there.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What do you think the plan is for Tre's $10.2M? That is what makes me think a trade is coming.

The combo of things Beane has said it is for - draft picks, 51 to 53 adjustment and in season flexibility for replacements etc. Then roll what's left over. Maybe I'm wrong but I honestly can't see it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What do you think the plan is for Tre's $10.2M? That is what makes me think a trade is coming.

CB definitely a possibility. Not sure who is out there. But hard to believe the Bills will be comfortable with Elam as the #1 backup after making him inactive almost all of last year. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It feels like a trade HAS to be coming. We have $10.2M more in cap space coming up after June 1. I know Beane likes to have a small cushion for in-season moves but he is not going to leave that much available cap space.

And Beane has been seemingly deliberate with how blatantly he's ignored the #2 outside WR. If I've said it once I've said it 100 times - Mack Hollins will not be our #2 outside WR. I just don't believe Beane would let that happen.

So reading the tea leaves I believe a plan is already in place and will come to fruition at the right time. Of the available names, Metcalf makes the most sense for someone we could trade for and have the trading team retain some of the cap hit so we could get him on the roster and then immediately extend him. Hopkins probably won't be available until the trade deadline. Aiyuk I believe we would not be able to afford to even place him on the roster to then extend him because his 5th year option is fully guaranteed.

I think they could get most on my first list because they can have the Tre $10M and a Josh restructure to bring them on board.  Then they can do the restructure. 

For instance, look at DHop on spotrac - his reported salary for 2023 for Tenn was $4M, yet he was a $13M man. 

They can get a D Adams or D Metcalf and then extend them and play all kinds of cap games with void years.

1 minute ago, Process said:

CB definitely a possibility. Not sure who is out there. But hard to believe the Bills will be comfortable with Elam as the #1 backup after making him inactive almost all of last year. 

Games he was active for he usually started.  Benford and Douglas are the incumbents.  Im not inclined to change that.  I think Elam is perfectly suited as the outside backup.  With Johnson thats 3 outside and slot.  Open spot behind Johnson on the roster and maybe spot if a guy has outside inside flex.  Jemarcus Ingram, Cam Lewis, Deontay Hardy competing for like 1 roster spot maybe 2.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The combo of things Beane has said it is for - draft picks, 51 to 53 adjustment and in season flexibility for replacements etc. Then roll what's left over. Maybe I'm wrong but I honestly can't see it. 

Right now we have probably just enough cap space to cover our draft picks. That still leaves us with $10.2M after June 1. I don't remember exactly how much Beane has typically entered the season with but I believe it's usually around $2M to $3M.

Edited by HappyDays

I'm not expecting a trade, so I am not into trying to speculate on what would be a good one.  I don't think Beane is interested either in spending a lot of future draft capital or in doing heavy duty contract renegotiations to fit a high priced trade acquisition under the cap.  A value acquisition is not going to make an appreciable difference.  in the passing offense.   Beane is hoping for some development and upside surprise in the receivers Buffalo has now, and is planning on having the ability to make major roster changes next off season if necessary.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Common misconception.  The Bills get $10M Tre money June 1st, also potential Josh restructure money. 

If you look at the salary aspects, none of those seem bad, it is the future money where the expense will be, and the Bills have room in the future.

Beane said they have like $3M right now with $10M coming June 1st, correct?  So effectively $13M to sign draft picks and look for a vet.  And Josh already restructured this offseason, did he not?

I don't think this is a binary choice: will Beane trade for a WR or won't he?

I think they might want to see how camp shakes out a bit to see what kind of shape they're in. If Coleman looks really good and someone else steps up maybe Beane has confidence about going into the season like that. If Coleman struggles and no one steps up beyond maybe Samuel, then Beane might reset his expectations and consider a trade later on to salvage the season and avoid fan mutiny (with lots of people upset with the Coleman pick I think it would be a PR disaster if Coleman struggles this year and Beane doesn't make any further WR upgrades).

We'll know more in a couple months...

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Beane said they have like $3M right now with $10M coming June 1st, correct?  So effectively $13M to sign draft picks and look for a vet.  And Josh already restructured this offseason, did he not?

They can restructure more. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Right now we have probably just enough cap space to cover our draft picks. That still leaves us with $10.2M after June 1. I don't remember exactly how much Beane has typically entered the season with I believe it's usually around $2M to $3M.

It was another 2-3m for the 51 to 53 adjustment last year though. I just don't see the flex to get a headline grabbing trade and even if there were Beane seemed to be pretty clear when asked about it. I'd like him to make one. Our WR room is still a weakness. But I don't see them pursuing a deal and even if they do I'm not sure I see a deal that makes sense. None of the seven guys listed in this thread are doable without creating more space first. They have to be able to absorb the salary they are trading for before they can restructure. That means whatever a guy is bringing with him in salary (not cap hit, salary) this year has to fit under the cap. If it doesn't they can't make the deal. Are some of the guys not named Aiyuk (because he can't adjust his) possibly guys who might adjust their deals to facilitate a trade? Sure. But the Bills would be paying a premium to the trading team for that. 

I would still like a true #1 type receiver. But I don't think the Bills are thinking that way and I don't think there is an obvious deal for them even if they are. 

8 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

There was some meat left on the bone with the first Josh restructure - probably just for this reason.

And after they acquire the WR they can redo the contract for a much smaller 2024 cap hit.   See DHop's situation done above.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm not expecting a trade, so I am not into trying to speculate on what would be a good one.  I don't think Beane is interested either in spending a lot of future draft capital or in doing heavy duty contract renegotiations to fit a high priced trade acquisition under the cap.  A value acquisition is not going to make an appreciable difference.  in the passing offense.   Beane is hoping for some development and upside surprise in the receivers Buffalo has now, and is planning on having the ability to make major roster changes next off season if necessary.

This is where I think Beane is at too. 

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You say Hopkins won’t be available, but what if they have an agreement set for the June 1st date beforehand? Do you think that’s a possibility? Hopkins would still be my choice. 

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Could potentially be saved for carryover cap space to make a splash next year or for a deadline deal too