2024 Draft Embedded--Has Dropped.

43 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Anyone who continues to think that McD secretly runs the draft is just foolish.

McDermott use to be more involved in the draft process. Beane said a few years ago that McDermott started trusting him and his team more and more. McDermott is king of the castle but allows his guys to do their job.

32 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I'm curious, why did BB not move up for Thomas? What 6 spots? ....an extra 2025 2nd? I don't believe I've heard Tasker or Brownie unpack that one.

Thats 2 years in a row they didn’t move up a few spots to get the WR.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Anyone who continues to think that McD secretly runs the draft is just foolish.

I don’t know about McDermott “running the draft “… but he has certainly pre approved the guys they are interested in .., he calls Van Pran out before they have even taken Davis …

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, wppete said:

It was a great video! Great draft class. I think Javon Solomon is going to be the steal of the draft class. 

If I heard correctly, he had the most sacks last year. Why did he drop to the 5th round?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

Yeah ok, but I would have pulled those 2025 picks out of my pocket and went shopping. There were numerous teams with multiple picks in rounds 2 and 3.

So next year we got bookoo picks and FA money. IMO, this was the time to gamble. You're either drafting or paying, this year we needed to draft.

I'm ok with the picks, but we coulda loaded up.

I would have rather gained a Burton or Walker and added another DT or something....in addition to....

BTW, the guy I'm hanging my hat on is Solomon. This team needs what only other teams seem to get on the DL.

They had their plan.  They had their board.  They stuck to them both.  I trust their judgement over the fan base.  They got great value throughout this draft considering they were picking at the bottom of the round.

57 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t know about McDermott “running the draft “… but he has certainly pre approved the guys they are interested in .., he calls Van Pran out before they have even taken Davis …

Beane said in that round they would go Davis first, then Van Pran.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I don’t remember that quote but I guess we can mark down Coleman + Bishop vs Thomas and see how it plays out

Thanks for sharing that info!

We can also compare keon coleman vs any of the wrs that went after pick 46 plus a 2nd rounder next year.  One of the biggest fleeces of the draft was the trade up the rams made. Went up about 11 spots in the 2nd round and gave up a 5th rounder and next year's 2nd.  I was jealous of that trade down by the Panthers. Would've loved if Beane pulled the trigger on that one.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Beane said in that round they would go Davis first, then Van Pran.

Yes .. after McD said ( he is talking to someone else) “we need Van Pran”… 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes .. after McD said ( he is talking to someone else) “we need Van Pran”… 

I think they both were in agreement Van Pran would be a target.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes … exactly my point… they have agreed the players they want..

It's been obvious since Beane arrived.  This is a collaboration.  I loved in the video how Beane was picking the brains of the assistant coaches to Garner their input.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nosejob said:

BTW, the guy I'm hanging my hat on is Solomon. This team needs what only other teams seem to get on the DL.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

It was a great video! Great draft class. I think Javon Solomon is going to be the steal of the draft class. 

Agree with both of you. I think people are snoozing on this guy. Even that embedded video was brief on him (although McD DID really seem authentically high on the guy). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

It's been obvious since Beane arrived.  This is a collaboration.  I loved in the video how Beane was picking the brains of the assistant coaches to Garner their input.

However …some say that Beane makes the Draft calls …

I think Beane and MCDermott have collaborated and agreed the picks in advance and Beane is not taking a player that McD hasn’t ticked the box on … at least not until late Day 3…

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thoughts:

- they were need-shopping, the tape proves it.  BPA is a myth.

- interesting seeing Laura so involved.  She’s being groomed.

- my goodness McD is tight - I thought maybe he’d soften up after the Dunne article called him out but he seems even tighter now.  Holy moly he is intense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Dr Krentist said:

If I heard correctly, he had the most sacks last year. Why did he drop to the 5th round?

I think the only knock on him is his height. 6’1 and half. Other then that he is a great player. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

However …some say that Beane makes the Draft calls …

I think Beane and MCDermott have collaborated and agreed the picks in advance and Beane is not taking a player that McD hasn’t ticked the box on … at least not until late Day 3…

I mean all GMs take into account the thoughts and wants of the HC, at least the good GM's.  Nothing worse than a GM forcing players that don't fit the mold of what the HC wants and utilizes in the team and style he runs.  

But make no mistake about it, Beane makes the final calls, makes the decisions on making moves up or down, etc.  Beane runs this draft, and McD runs the team how he wants without meddling by Beane once the players are on the roster.  They will always collaborate their thoughts on needs, free agents, draft picks, etc.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean all GMs take into account the thoughts and wants of the HC, at least the good GM's.  Nothing worse than a GM forcing players that don't fit the mold of what the HC wants and utilizes in the team and style he runs.  

But make no mistake about it, Beane makes the final calls, makes the decisions on making moves up or down, etc.  Beane runs this draft, and McD runs the team how he wants without meddling by Beane once the players are on the roster.  They will always collaborate their thoughts on needs, free agents, draft picks, etc.  

Im not trying to say that Beane has to run every trade request through McD ..

My point is that Beane and McD have spoken in advance of which players they are going to pick … and Beane is not taking a guy that McD hasn’t approved ..maybe he doesn’t care come the 6th/7th … but geez …he seems pretty  animated about SVPG in the 5th … like an hour before they make the pick 

On the flip side … Im sure MCD consults with Beane about his coaching hires… and he is not taking a guy that Beane doesn’t want … it’s just a professional courtesy  between the two of them ..

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think the only knock on him is his height. 6’1 and half. Other then that he is a great player. 

NOT a great player against the run right away, or maybe ever, is the other major concern. Still a component of the historically low percentile height/weight. A story in charts (curious why shuttle/3-cone aren't included here but are for others...who picks which numbers rate?):

image.thumb.png.726fc70aceddff028ece270f173f0a1a.png

image.thumb.png.3ac458a0f8791ec63135e9a271a0ab70.png

image.thumb.png.3cffde915c94afb3a60b3cf77296c647.png

(for the record, but don't tell anyone in case I'm wrong, I think Solomon might be SPECIAL)

Edited by Richard Noggin

22 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im not trying to say that Beane has to run every trade request through McD ..

My point is that Beane and McD have spoken in advance of which players they are going to pick … and Beane is not taking a guy that McD hasn’t approved ..maybe he doesn’t care come the 6th/7th … but geez …he seems pretty  animated about SVPG in the 5th … like an hour before they make the pick 

On the flip side … Im sure MCD consults with Beane about his coaching hires… and he is not taking a guy that Beane doesn’t want … it’s just a professional courtesy  between the two of them ..

Yeah that was my point, they have all been working together on the board.  Beane isn’t targeting guys that don’t fit what McD wants to do.  

Just saying on draft day, Beane is the clear decision maker and it’s his room without interference.  You can see how everyone keeps asking him what his plan is or who he is gonna pick.  Even with SVPG Beane said he’s taking Davis first then SVPG if he was still there.

It’s one of the best relationships between a HC and GM in the league IMHO.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Great video.  Interesting how much team need played in this draft. Also good insight into how Beane drafts players; intelligence, leadership and character plays a big role.  Coleman and Bishop are class A athletes but clearly hard workers. David, Carter and Van Pran, their leadership and intelligence were huge reasons Beane wanted them.  After that he was clearly looking for guys that had something special.  In hockey, it would be their shot or their skating that was NHL caliber.  Here they were looking something each guy brought athletically like Hardy punt return skill or Solomon’s ability to set up OL to get to the QB or the British kid’s freak athletic ability.

Best thing about the video it was it gave you something to root for with each kid.  Coleman is a character, but he clearly does his film work to make himself better.  Kincaid clearly told Beane how hard Bishop was to play against.  Carter looks like he could be President.  The two players I really love in this draft are Ray Davis and Van Pran.  I loathe UK, but Davis impressed me every time I watched him play.  He is a play to whistle type of RB and he and Cook are going to have a ball together.  They will make each other work harder and be better.  Van Pran is special.  I don’t know of it will translate to the pros, but he is the best Center I’ve seen at UGA in the last 30 years.  My guess is Cook had some nice things to say.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

And then Beane took the running back..... because Beandon runs personnel not McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1