Roast of Brady!

Finally got around to watching it. I laughed pretty hard a few times.  Nikki Glaser is hilarious. Peyton was funny as was Brady himself. I didn’t think Tom’s comedic delivery would be any good but it was. Good stuff.  Although overall i thought there was too much raunchy stuff thrown in.  Gronk was cringy.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Finally got around to watching it. I laughed pretty hard a few times.  Nikki Glaser is hilarious. Peyton was funny as was Brady himself. I didn’t think Tom’s comedic delivery would be any good but it was. Good stuff.  Although overall i thought there was too much raunchy stuff thrown in.  Gronk was cringy.

Gronk was bad. The shot glass spike was just stupid. All I could think was glass shards embedding themselves into someone’s eye. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Funny…first line is that this old cranky radio host (who makes a living being controversial and saying dumb things) is “in the minority” of not liking what most think is one of the best roasts of all time.  Then I see it’s a Fox News article and of course it makes even more sense.  

I get comedy varies for everyone by taste, and some may not love this roast.  But I honestly can’t fathom how someone could be so grumpy that they could categorize that roast as “unwatchable”.  

It used to be that comedy, in order to induce a laugh, had to be thoughtful and clever.  Seinfeld was the last of this type. Nowadays you just need to mention "Giselle" and the F word.  It got very old very fast.  Our culture has deteriorated.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Lenny Bruce would get arrested in the 1960s for language.  Some people being offended by certain comedy is over 50 years old. it's nothing new.   I was in high school in the late 70s, Carlin got arrested for the 7 words you can't say on television routine.  Now people don't get arrested anymore, but like i said some people being offended is nothing new at all.   The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Some people were upset at Cheech and Chong for drug references in the 70's.  Glad I came up with guys like that and the GOAT--Richard Pryor.  Watch live in concert, still relevant today, came out in 1979.   The language never bothered me, funny is funny.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

It used to be that comedy, in order to induce a laugh, had to be thoughtful and clever.  Seinfeld was the last of this type. Nowadays you just need to mention "Giselle" and the F word.  It got very old very fast.  Our culture has deteriorated.

Im guessing you have never watched Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, and every other great comic that came long before PG Seinfeld who had edgy and vulgar comedy.  

Although since that’s your style of comedy I would recommend Nate Bargatze who is a hilarious comic and clean.  He’s got amazing specials on Netflix and one on Amazon.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

I like what Conan said about comedy when he was on Hot Ones, that it's everywhere and there's all kinds of it and that there's nothing to complain about because you can find great comedy no matter what you're into. There's "vulgar", there's "clean", there's "old school", there's "new age"...you just have to look for it. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im guessing you have never watched Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, and every other great comic that came long before PG Seinfeld who had edgy and vulgar comedy.  

Although since that’s your style of comedy I would recommend Nate Bargatze who is a hilarious comic and clean.  He’s got amazing specials on Netflix and one on Amazon.

Exactly right.  Seinfeld wasn't the first or last of anything in comedy, and Bargatze is a great example among many current comedians who are hilarious, smart, and not gratuitously vulgar.

Edited by Pecos Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All those guys you mentioned were creative and clever and thoughtful, so the vulgarity was just a part of the act. These guys say the F word and expect the laughs to rain down.  Effing lazy of them.

George Carlin used to say things like "Ever wonder why you park in the driveway but you drive on the parkway?" Now that's clever and funny.

Eddie Murphy is a genius and he created characters that live on in our memories and still bring a smile.

Robin Williams was not vulgar, nor was Rodney Dangerfield.  

21 hours ago, zow2 said:

Gronk might only have 1 functional brain cell. 

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

All those guys you mentioned were creative and clever and thoughtful, so the vulgarity was just a part of the act. These guys say the F word and expect the laughs to rain down.  Effing lazy of them.

George Carlin used to say things like "Ever wonder why you park in the driveway but you drive on the parkway?" Now that's clever and funny.

Eddie Murphy is a genius and he created characters that live on in our memories and still bring a smile.

Yeah....Pryor, Williams,  Carlin and Murphy are all comedic geniuses that did swear.  But they sure as "hell" didn't have to drop F- bombs every 2.7 seconds to magnifying their jokes.  Brady's roast had several hilarious moments but there were many "over the top" vulgar jokes that just seemed forced because the profanity was "all you can eat".  

45 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Gronk might only have 1 functional brain cell. 

I guess that was enough to avoid crypto.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/10/2024 at 7:43 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah....Pryor, Williams,  Carlin and Murphy are all comedic geniuses that did swear.  But they sure as "hell" didn't have to drop F- bombs every 2.7 seconds to magnifying their jokes.  Brady's roast had several hilarious moments but there were many "over the top" vulgar jokes that just seemed forced because the profanity was "all you can eat".  

I guess that was enough to avoid crypto.

Have you ever actually watched a Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy stand up set? 

I watched it. My wife wasn’t around for the Gronk and Edelman days so she knows nothing about them. She immediately saw them and said they are the definition of douchebags.

Kevin Hart must have done a line of coke before the event. He was whacked and not even funny. Made the whole event about himself. Kept randomly saying “WHAT? WHAT?” When the crowd would laugh. 

Belichick was funny but he looked nervous talking in front of people. I think he acted the way he did in front of the media because he was projecting. I think he is just naturally a socially awkward person. 

I fast forwarded through Gronk And Edelman because they are just tools. Also, most of the Hollywood people are freaking weird. I’m so glad we live in the Northeast. 

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I watched it. My wife wasn’t around for the Gronk and Edelman days so she knows nothing about them. She immediately saw them and said they are the definition of douchebags.

So your wife is... 3?

On 5/10/2024 at 12:50 AM, Dan Darragh said:

Something can be funny without being witty. In the three hour roast,

there was maybe 20 to 30 minutes or witty humor.  Most of the rest was some version of shock humor. Which became repetitive. it’s not possible to call the fourth reference to Aaron Hernandez witty. But it is still possible to laugh.  Many 6 years old laugh at the word “poop” every time they hear it.  Much of the roasts humor was on that level.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 7:22 AM, boyst said:

it's one thing to respect the mans status as an elite QB but it's another thing to gobble his scrote like he's something more than a sportsball player. for all the good he has done on the field, lets recap the reality of this guy being nothing special:

1) he left his pregnant girlfriend to hook up with Gizell Bunchen

2) he pushes fake/weird medicine to people as some sort of pyramid scheme voodoo TB12 plan

3) he chose to play 1 more year of mediocre football instead of spend time with his family & wife

4) he cheated multiple times (unnecessarily) in his profession

5) he treated others poorly as a teammate multiple times and showed poor sportsmanship against opponents multiple times.

Sorry, i do not fanfare ordinary people who throw the ball real good. he's just another 40something year old who had a midlife crisis after knocking up Monihan in my books.

Actually he was shamed for eveey single point you hit here. Makes me wonder if the real scrote gobblers are the ones that won't watch. 

On 5/10/2024 at 4:23 PM, Dan Darragh said:

I am sorry, sir. We will indeed get off of your lawn. 

Edited by Tenhigh