Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

I think with Shorter, Shavers, Hollins, Coleman and Claypool they have a prominent role in the offense for a large outside wr.  Coleman slides into the lead role with Hollins helping and ultimately being the backup.  Shorter, Shavers, and Claypool are fighting for 1 spot. Having 3 guys out of 5 or 6 that style does point to a change in player archtypes.    

Seems to me they are building a WR room full of nobodies and hoping JA can elevate them to good enough to win.   This is a dangerous path, they didn’t have enough talent with Diggs and Davis, let them go and didn’t replace them with equals or better.   As it stands they head to the season with an interesting player in Samuel, who can be a 1k guy, if healthy, but also not really an outside guy/ legit #1, does offer some options with running etc.  From there there is nothing proven on the roster.  That’s not great.  I’m surprised they played this game again after gambling on Davis to step up and having that blow up.  It’s really on Shakir, Coleman and a bunch of JAGs to make up a lot of yards and routes.    There’s a lot of “potential” on the roster, but that means they haven’t done anything yet.    I think/hope Shakir really develops to the “#1” WR, Samuel to be a Deebo lite, and a lot of looks will be going to the TEs, so it may work.  The problem will be proving they have somebody to take the top off.  If D’s can sit on the shorter routes, there will be too much traffic close to the line, which jams up the run and pass game.  

The only reason I would have liked to seen Worthy in Buffalo was the respect he would force D’s to give.   I will go on record as saying, I don’t think Worthy is going to be special, but he does cause mismatches and that’s his value .   I am hoping Coleman just does his thing and becomes an Anquon Boldin type of guy here and that will make him super valuable.

I see nothing that persuades me that, as some here seem to be worried, the Bills will become a "run-first" offense. 

What I see is them trying to assure their passing game will not be negated by a physical defense. That Allen will not have to carry the offense, in particularly the running, by himself.

To conclude that the play calling will be "run-run-pass" is silly, in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Huh?

Hamler runs a 4.27

Samuel runs a 4.31

Isabella runs a 4.33

Shakir runs a 4.42

Claypool runs a 4.42

Doesn't seem that slow to me.

You guys are delusional

Hamler will be on IR all season

Samuel is a McKenzie/Harty+. He'll be great, if used right

Isabella is PS

Shakir is a short-area slot

Claypool won't make the team

We didn't replace Diggs or Davis combination of speed/hands/routes/size.  Coleman is the closest to replacing Davis, but not really on downfield stuff

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hollins is a back-end guy.  FWIW Claypoole took over 100 snaps on ST for Miami last season in half a season.

Guys like Shorter and Shavers need to work on the ST craft.  It's not rocket science.

Tbh I didn't realize Claypool had that many ST snaps. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I actually really like adding chase claypool for cheap. 

he might turn it around with a change of scenery and if he doesn’t just cut him.  Hard to be too upset with him getting frustrated playing for pit and then Chicago back to back lol that’s like a wr death sentence 

Claypool cant catch a cold... that being said dude can block.

5 hours ago, eball said:

Chase Claypool ain’t making the team unless he has had a complete epiphany.  The Bills are kicking the tires but he’s a long shot at best.

The biggest difference in the Bills’ WR room is that they are drafting/signing people who don’t drop the ball.

You lost me on the last part... Claypool has hands of stone.

23 hours ago, gjv said:

Bills just added another large receiver Chris Claypool to a room of Coleman, Shavers, Hollis, and Shorter. It makes me think that McDermott and Brady are thinking about expanding on their 52% run vs pass.

Ground and pound town.

Building a team that fits Buffalo.

Love it Sean!

14 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

No fake punt, with Hamlin taking the snap?

That was a great call by Sean. Bad execution by players.

Innovative!

What more can you want?

I wasn’t happy with the Coleman pick at first but I really hadn’t watched him play until after the draft, and then seeing he is just about balling and be a bit of a goof I realized why this was Josh’s dude.  Seems like someone who isn’t going to fail due to a lack of wanting it and wanting to be great. If he can have Kincaid like impact that is right on schedule for a solid answer to questions about the WR group and if they can get a big distribution of balls because of the multifaceted attack and play action game, this can work with what they have. It’s not perfect but they have talent among all of t;he weapons on Offense and that is what matters. 

BILLS WR CORE HEIGHT AND WEIGHT 

Shakir: 6’0, 190 lbs
Samuel: 5’11, 195 lbs
Coleman: 6’3, 215 lbs 
Hollins: 6’4, 221 lbs 
Shorter: 6’4, 223 lbs 

Shavers: 6’4, 211 lbs 
Claypool: 6’4, 238 lbs 
Cephus: 6’1, 208 lbs 
Isabella: 5’9, 188 lbs 
Hamler: 5’9, 178 lbs

Last season 6 WR’s made the Bills final 53 man roster, and I expect the same amount this year. The first 5 WR’s at the top should all make the 53 man roster. 1 of the other 5 names will compete for the 6th WR spot on the 53 just like we carried last season. 
Some of the rest will make the Practice Squad.

As you can see we’re a much bigger WR room this season as opposed to the past. This is by design. Bully ball is coming to Buffalo. 

7 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Easily diggs, he was on fire first half of season. Allen had 2nd most Ints in the league last year? Was a rather weak MVP season overall, compared to previous years. Defenses realized that once you took diggs away it was tough for us to get the ball moving. Who is getting doubled teamed or taking the pressure away next year? 

Defenses realized Diggs couldnt get behind them.  Once Allen stopped force feeding Diggs his ints went down.  The offense under Brady featured more Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir.  It was more efficient.  They are leaning more into that with Samuel and Coleman to complement.  If Diggs is as good as you feel he still is why didnt Houston give him more money? 

15 minutes ago, Trust The Process said:

BILLS WR CORE HEIGHT AND WEIGHT 

Shakir: 6’0, 190 lbs
Samuel: 5’11, 195 lbs
Coleman: 6’3, 215 lbs 
Hollins: 6’4, 221 lbs 
Shorter: 6’4, 223 lbs 

Shavers: 6’4, 211 lbs 
Claypool: 6’4, 238 lbs 
Cephus: 6’1, 208 lbs 
Isabella: 5’9, 188 lbs 
Hamler: 5’9, 178 lbs

Last season 6 WR’s made the Bills final 53 man roster, and I expect the same amount this year. The first 5 WR’s at the top should all make the 53 man roster. 1 of the other 5 names will compete for the 6th WR spot on the 53 just like we carried last season. 
Some of the rest will make the Practice Squad.

As you can see we’re a much bigger WR room this season as opposed to the past. This is by design. Bully ball is coming to Buffalo. 

I could see 5 if they go heavier DE with the modified return rules. Dline and Oline could see more work on kickoff.  

• Like (+1) 1

These new WRs at 6'3" are almost as tall as the TEs (Kincaid is 6'4" and Knox is 6'5").

With so many really fast WRs and RBs, the league is moving to faster, smaller DBs.  By counter-programming to big and strong, the Bills are going to present teams with a unique challenge they might not able to adjust to.  I like this, a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

These new WRs at 6'3" are almost as tall as the TEs (Kincaid is 6'4" and Knox is 6'5").

With so many really fast WRs and RBs, the league is moving to faster, smaller DBs.  By counter-programming to big and strong, the Bills are going to present teams with a unique challenge they might not able to adjust to.  I like this, a lot.

TOTALLY my thoughts.  The NFL is very much a “chase me” league.  You just gotta be the front runner. 

On 5/3/2024 at 1:56 PM, H2o said:

Claypool is big, but he's got 4.4 speed to go with that 6'5" frame. Claypool isn't any kind of route technician or anything though. He kind of rounds off his Slants a bit, and doesn't really have that snap in change of direction. He does have really good body control and makes great plays along the lines, whether the sidelines or the back of the end zone. Shorter is big, but just a middling athlete. I do remember hearing he had good hands though, only dropping one pass in 114 targets at Florida. He's another intermediate to deep route guy. Hollins is another big guy with the same sort of MO as both Claypool and Shorter. Hollins' career year was 2 years ago in LV. He had 57 catches for 690 yards and 4 TD's. He did next to nothing last year in Atlanta though. Out of these three, I see probably two making the roster and one of those primarily for ST's. If we keep 6 WR's, this is whom I expect those to be:

1. Keon Coleman

2. Khalil Shakir

3. Curtis Samuel

4. Mack Hollins

5. Chase Claypool

6. Andy Isabella

Then I expect them to PS Hamler, Shorter, and one of Shavers or Thompson. 

Agree. My guess is whoever is better at special teams - Hollins vs Shorter will make it. Agree with the other 5. Doubt they keep 7 WR especially if the CB they drafted late is the primary return guy. 

I don't think this group is great but when you add the group of TEs and RBs they have, they can have a very balanced offense and create mismatches all over the field. I think the only downside is they may not have enough WR talent to win the few shootout games they get into every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know not everyone will like this idea, but I have a feeling that in the wake the changes and knowing that we might need a reshuffle year that Brady and McDermott are looking at the builds that Johnson and Shanahan did with less skilled QBs. Shanahan made his bones as a TE heavy attack, and moved to condensed formations (that Brady used) for two purposes:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/02/07/why-the-49ers-use-this-type-of-formation-more-than-anyone/

A) To limit the safety shell coverage and 

B) Prevent off the line jams to get his WRs free

Any of that sound familiar?

Ohhhh noooo, the Bills no longer have a top 5 WR and so they are using the system that made Brock Purdy an MVP candidate. I can see why people are furious about it,

10 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

TOTALLY my thoughts.  The NFL is very much a “chase me” league.  You just gotta be the front runner. 

Zig when everyone zags.  Getting bigger is not a surprise.  Bigger personal is no surprise.  Use Coleman Kincaid Knox with Samuel/Shakir Cook is an interesting line up.  Alot of size and versatility on the field.  You can have almost 3 te type alignments with condensing the formation.  Next play full spread.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know not everyone will like this idea, but I have a feeling that in the wake the changes and knowing that we might need a reshuffle year that Brady and McDermott are looking at the builds that Johnson and Shanahan did with less skilled QBs. Shanahan made his bones as a TE heavy attack, and moved to condensed formations (that Brady used) for two purposes:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/02/07/why-the-49ers-use-this-type-of-formation-more-than-anyone/

A) To limit the safety shell coverage and 

B) Prevent off the line jams to get his WRs free

Any of that sound familiar?

Ohhhh noooo, the Bills no longer have a top 5 WR and so they are using the system that made Brock Purdy an MVP candidate. I can see why people are furious about it,

Ah, I'll take Aiyuk from the SF WR room, please. I won't be so furious if Beane pulls that off.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

I think the league is moving to bigger DBs not smaller ones. Sauce is 6'3". Elam and Benford are both 6'1". All 3 CB taken in first round were 6 ft or taller. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think the league is moving to bigger DBs not smaller ones. Sauce is 6'3". Elam and Benford are both 6'1". All 3 CB taken in first round were 6 ft or taller. 

That's great. Every time we think we're getting ahead of the fashion curve in Buffalo, we're always actually a season behind.

• Haha (+1) 1