Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

15 minutes ago, gjv said:

Bills just added another large receiver Chris Claypool to a room of Coleman, Shavers, Hollis, and Shorter. It makes me think that McDermott and Brady are thinking about expanding on their 52% run vs pass.

The anti-smurfs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Claypool had 77 yards last year and 400 the year before. We are like 3 years from him doing squat. 

Maybe he turns it around and maybe he doesent. I for one hope that he does.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Claypool had 77 yards last year and 400 the year before. We are like 3 years from him doing squat. 

I'm sure a good portion of that was his own doing....but the teams/situation and QB play also is a factor.

comeback player of the year.  Why not!!! 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. Get bigger and slower at WR

2. Take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more

Perfect offseason so far.

Or... a positive person would see we aren't getting bullied at the LOS like we have been, these guys are athletic and give a bigger catch radius for Josh.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Chris Brown and Tasker talking about it now.

Claypool's #'s are not far off from Gabe Davis  (except the TD's)

Claypool has a higher catch rate

Chase:  58 Games   175 Rec, 2261   12.9  13 TD
   Gabe: 64 Games   163 Rec, 2730   16.7   27 TD

Claypool has had below average QB play......

Gabe has a higher catch percentage than Mike Evans, not sure what this a stat is supposed to prove.

The Bears couldn't stand this dude.  And before you say bad QB play, how did Moore do with that same QB?

Guy is washed up, we are barrel scraping, it's not a big deal, but don't expect him to last through the preseason.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They want BIG and Athletic.  Speed is good, don't get me wrong, but they are seeming to push for big, physical WR's and that is what Joe Brady had his year as OC with HIS offense down at LSU.  No more getting bullied at the LOS, and hopefully a lot more contested balls.  It also brings a greater Catch radius for Allen to hit on when his passes are slightly off.

Look I get it, Fans want splash they want exciting and we tried that with smaller, faster WR's and it didn't work.  I am excited to see this new approach to be honest, and if we get the running game going, then we are going to see somewhat less exciting 8, 10,12+ play drives that eat the clock and keep guys like Mahomes and Kelce on the bench and hopefully lead to more TD's.

There is no substitute for speed.

Elite speed adds a dimension to any offense that is difficult to stop, and catapults the offense to a higher level than one without it.

I wish we were building a more fully developed offense.

But we are run by defense-first guys, and we pay the price for that all the time.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Gabe has a higher catch percentage than Mike Evans, not sure what this a stat is supposed to prove.

he has somehow managed to have more receptions in 6 fewer career games than Gabe Davis

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, gjv said:

Bills just added another large receiver Chris Claypool to a room of Coleman, Shavers, Hollis, and Shorter. It makes me think that McDermott and Brady are thinking about expanding on their 52% run vs pass.

Of that crowd, only Coleman is a lock to make the team.

Edited by Augie
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

Claypool is big, but he's got 4.4 speed to go with that 6'5" frame. Claypool isn't any kind of route technician or anything though. He kind of rounds off his Slants a bit, and doesn't really have that snap in change of direction. He does have really good body control and makes great plays along the lines, whether the sidelines or the back of the end zone. Shorter is big, but just a middling athlete. I do remember hearing he had good hands though, only dropping one pass in 114 targets at Florida. He's another intermediate to deep route guy. Hollins is another big guy with the same sort of MO as both Claypool and Shorter. Hollins' career year was 2 years ago in LV. He had 57 catches for 690 yards and 4 TD's. He did next to nothing last year in Atlanta though. Out of these three, I see probably two making the roster and one of those primarily for ST's. If we keep 6 WR's, this is whom I expect those to be:

1. Keon Coleman

2. Khalil Shakir

3. Curtis Samuel

4. Mack Hollins

5. Chase Claypool

6. Andy Isabella

Then I expect them to PS Hamler, Shorter, and one of Shavers or Thompson. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Polar opposite of the smurfs from Allen's early days.

I wonder if the moves are a counter to the league trends towards the passing game that have resulted in smaller, but faster defenders who can cover.

Fine, you want to play that way, we'll just bulldoze your arses with 2 TE and big WRs. Let Cook juke his way through while Ray Davis and Josh Allen run over and past everyone else. If the defenders try to cheat up, we've got big guys with great hands who can move the chains from the slot, RBs who can slide out and catch,  or contested catches on the outside. Maybe we'll be seeing a little more from the screen passe game than we have in recent years.

I think that's where they're going with this.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, H2o said:

1. Keon Coleman

2. Khalil Shakir

3. Curtis Samuel

4. Mack Hollins

5. Chase Claypool

6. Andy Isabella

Then I expect them to PS Hamler, Shorter, and one of Shavers or Thompson. 

The issue on this is outside of Hollins and Isabella none of these guys are going to be on ST and that's what you ask your back end guys to do. 

40 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You are seeing thing which are not there imo. Claypool signing means that we needed another camp body.

I think the Claypool signing means we signed a WR with talent who has one last shot to rehab a career on a 1 yr deal with one of the best QBs in the league throwing him the ball. If he strays you cut him. I'm sure there will be no mistaking that he's on a short leash, and regardless of his production, if he makes it the whole year I don't expect he'd be resigned. Low risk, high reward signing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I hope this isn't a season full of:

1st and 10 - run, gain of 2

2nd and 9 - run, no gain

3rd and 8 - penalty false start

3rd and 13 - pass for 11 yd gain

Punt

punting is winning

48 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They want BIG and Athletic.  Speed is good, don't get me wrong, but they are seeming to push for big, physical WR's and that is what Joe Brady had his year as OC with HIS offense down at LSU.  No more getting bullied at the LOS, and hopefully a lot more contested balls.  It also brings a greater Catch radius for Allen to hit on when his passes are slightly off.

Look I get it, Fans want splash they want exciting and we tried that with smaller, faster WR's and it didn't work.  I am excited to see this new approach to be honest, and if we get the running game going, then we are going to see somewhat less exciting 8, 10,12+ play drives that eat the clock and keep guys like Mahomes and Kelce on the bench and hopefully lead to more TD's.

I bet when Brady watched a replay of that great Allen pass that Diggs had wrestled away at the Jacksonville 5 yard line for an INT he decided that enough was enough and the Bills had to get at least one WR that could go up and win those types of balls.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, bouds said:

Claypool is ass.  The dude is a problem in the locker room too, just ask the Bears/Steelers.

And what was Diggs?  A big pain in the ass in the locker room.  It was tolerated until he became ass on the field too in the second half of this season.  Now he is someone else's problem.  Claypool has some ability.  Its a good low cost signing.  Maybe he will get it together finally, playing with a QB like Josh Allen.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Come on guys try to be a little positive. You guys are like the two grumpy old men on the Muppet show lol

Exactly... @SDS you wanna change the Wall logo to Statler and Waldorf? Seems more appropriate for the clientele.. 

statler.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Power is definitely on Beane's agenda.  Whether Cephus or Claypool make the team isn't the issue.  They are symptoms of a trend supported by the drafting of Coleman and Ray Davis and the signing of Hollins.  Beane/McD/Brady want to be able to control the clock and beat people into submission if necessary.  Someone else mentioned that Cook wore down late in the season. Cook also isn't a "physical" runner, but Ray Davis is.  

They also aren't ignoring speed.  Samuel and Hamler are burners.  Shakir and Cook are also fast.  

Seems to me that management wants a team where they can be flexible in their game plan to exploit holes in the defense.  We'll go deep on teams the stack the box, run against teams playing nickel and dime, and throw short and medium passes on teams the play 2 deep zone.  They are also trying to solve our issues in the redzone.  They have gone bigger and stronger to be able to pound out yards without giving Josh a pounding.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1