Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

The general plan has been to give veterans who have not worked out due to injuries or whatever a shot vs. spend another draft pick on a WR.  You know the top three guys now, just looking for #5 ( I assume Hollins or Shorter is a lock).   If a guy like Claypool or Hamler works out great.  If not they can get a guy during or after camp that doesn’t make a roster.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

This is actually a really good move, low risk has to be cheap as hell at this point, but clearly has a hell of a lot of talent. This team has the exact kind of culture built around it that if he really is ready to make a change it's a great place to do it.

The 3 teams in the past 4 years were probably thinking the same 

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Keon Coleman
Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

KJ Hamler

Mack Hollis

Chase Claypool 

Justin Shorter
Quintez Cephus

Should he be higher on the depth chart? 

This is what I got...

Keon Coleman
Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

Chase Claypool

KJ Hamler

Mack Hollis

Justin Shorter
Quintez Cephus

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Putin said:

They all used draft picks for him, we're likely signing him for cheap, and have little commitment.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

I like the signing.  I have to ignore most of the board after FA signings and draft picks as you guys would, as my Grandpa used to say, "B word if you were hung with a new rope"

Honest to God, if we had traded to #4 and all 3 top WR's were there you guys would complain on which one we took.  Then we paid too much, blah blah blah LOL  But thats also why I love this board, if everyone agreed life would be borking.

As its been said, he is only 25 guys, and for Beane to give him a 1 year deal and bring him into the locker room, Claypool must have convinced McBeane he has changed.  If he has, holy **** what a talent. If not, Bye felecia.

Let try to be positive shall we? IF he can work out my God we have a good WR room.  Shakir, Coleman, and a Claypool that pulled his head out?  Wow.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Von Miller
Greg Rousseau

AJ Epenesa

Javon Solomon

Dawuane Smoot

Casey Toohill

Kingsley Jonathan

Kameron Cline

Thats what I got. I have a really good feeling about Javon Solomon. I get Dwight Freeny vibes off him.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I like the signing.  I have to ignore most of the board after FA signings and draft picks as you guys would, as my Grandpa used to say, "B word if you were hung with a new rope"

Honest to God, if we had traded to #4 and all 3 top WR's were there you guys would complain on which one we took.  Then we paid too much, blah blah blah LOL  But thats also why I love this board, if everyone agreed life would be borking.

As its been said, he is only 25 guys, and for Beane to give him a 1 year deal and bring him into the locker room, Claypool must have convinced McBeane he has changed.  If he has, holy **** what a talent. If not, Bye felecia.

Let try to be positive shall we? IF he can work out my God we have a good WR room.  Shakir, Coleman, and a Claypool that pulled his head out?  Wow.

Don't forget Curtis Samuel!  I'm starting to believe he's going to get way more targets than expected 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was responding to the previous poster who said Ben was garbage at the time.  Then you also responded. 

But, yes, he had 4900 in 2014--but this was 1 of only 2 career seasons over 4500 yards---clearly outlier seasons so their comparison isn't particularly noteworthy.   You could have pointed out that only 2 years before Claypool arrived, Ben had his career best season (his 15th!).  7550 yards, 55 TDs over 2 seasons--after 18 years--that's better than his career season average (even not counting his 2 game 2019). That's solid play. 

Ben was never the same after his 2019 shoulder injury.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Don't forget Curtis Samuel!  I'm starting to believe he's going to get way more targets than expected 

CRAP!  I forgot Samuel and he was the guy I pushed for this offseason.

10 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This is what I got...

Keon Coleman
Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

Chase Claypool

KJ Hamler

Mack Hollis

Justin Shorter
Quintez Cephus

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He's been absolutely terrible a couple of years running. Miami took him on this season and he did nothing there. They don't want him.

I mean he played for pit and Chicago back to back which is pretty much wr hell lol then got traded to Miami midseason.  Not sure how high the expectations for him should’ve been in a partial season under a new offensive system.  

if he gets his head out of his a** and has a full offseason with a team that can actually throw the ball he could be dangerous. If not, cut him.  Great signing imo  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean he played for pit and Chicago back to back which is pretty much wr hell lol then got traded to Miami midseason.  Not sure how high the expectations for him should’ve been in a partial season under a new offensive system.  

if he gets his head out of his a** and has a full offseason with a team that can actually throw the ball he could be dangerous. If not, cut him.  Great signing imo  

this where I'm at 100%.  If he's trouble or doesn't produce in camp....easy cut. 

IF IF IF he's a changed man with a lot to prove.....could be jackpot for us 

• Like (+1) 1

Just some random thoughts...

1. The Bills are not going to be wowing us with any free agent signings, given their current cap situation. Even modest signings like those of Gallup, OBJ, Chark, etc. are currently out of the Bills' price range. So for now we will have to be content with dumpster diving -- and hoping to hit on a potential diamond in the rough.

Also, while they will be in better shape after June 1 when Tre's cap savings are freed up, I imagine the theme will be for them to remain frugal, given rookie contracts, etc.

2. Claypool has shown more than glimpses of what his upside represents. More, in fact, than Hamler. In Claypool's rookie season with a declining Big Ben, he racked up 62 receptions for 873 yards and 9 TDs.  Those are probably reasonable (maybe even hopeful) projections for what we might expect from Coleman as a rookie this season. In his second season (when Big Ben was all but shot) Claypool posted remarkably similar numbers: 59 receptions for 860 yards; however, he only scored 2 TDs.  The Steelers traded him to Chicago early on the next season -- and we know what a mess that Chicago offense was in 2022. Claypool failed to catch on with Miami -- but he was a very poor fit for their scheme.

3. I don't know what (if anything) Claypool has left. Is the production he exhibited back in 2020/2021 ancient history? Likely it is. But he is still young, and injuries have not been an issue for him the way they have been for Hamler, for example. After a promising rookie season, his career has been plagued by lousy QB play, poor scheme fit and poor attitude/preparation. In Buffalo he now has an elite QB -- and based on the "big" direction the offense is headed, it would seem that he is an ideal scheme fit. Provided that at just 25, he has not lost the physical talent he exhibited as a rookie, it would seem that the only thing holding him back is effort/attitude.

This is exactly the low-risk sort of gamble the Bills SHOULD be trying in their current cap-strapped situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Putin said:

His last two seasons were uprooted by midseason trades where he was dumped into a new offensive system and the years before that he went for 800+ yards back to back.  Don’t think he’s really old enough to just call it quits and likely has to prove he can still play.

idk if he’ll return to form but seeing as there’s essentially zero risk this is a great signing. 

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

this where I'm at 100%.  If he's trouble or doesn't produce in camp....easy cut. 

IF IF IF he's a changed man with a lot to prove.....could be jackpot for us 

I think he kind of has to have a lot to prove…he’s gotta have a big year to get a modest payday from someone then he can coast if he wants to lol

hes not like OBJ who has been rakin in pretty big contracts for years 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You don’t think Claypool would’ve been in a training camp somewhere? I actually think he chose us.

I assume he waited til after the draft.  Claypool is probably who Beane was referring too.  Claypool is at the same age but carries more potential than any 6 or 7 rounder they could have selected.  Shavers, Shorter, Claypool and Cephus fight for wr 5 or 6.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

His last two seasons were uprooted by midseason trades where he was dumped into a new offensive system and the years before that he went for 800+ yards back to back.  Don’t think he’s really old enough to just call it quits and likely has to prove he can still play.

idk if he’ll return to form but seeing as there’s essentially zero risk this is a great signing. 

I mean, we know he can play when motivated.  He's 25 and doesn't have an injury history.  He should just be hitting his prime now.  The question is whether his attitude is right.  If he's suddenly transformed into a hardworking, team first guy, then this is a great signing.  I don't have much hope, since you don't really see guys just flip their personalities in their mid-20s.  I guess Cris Carter is a guy that turned it around.  Just have to wait and see.

• Agree 3