K J Hamler the new speed threat?

Keon Coleman shouted him out specifically as someone he looked forward to playing with. Isn't it probably/likely that the Bills had Hamler more highly-rated than any of the "speed" receivers available in the later rounds of the draft?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Commish said:

Keon Coleman shouted him out specifically as someone he looked forward to playing with. Isn't it probably/likely that the Bills had Hamler more highly-rated than any of the "speed" receivers available in the later rounds of the draft?

It wouldn't surprise me, at this point. McBeane just doesn't value the wide out spot like most modern teams. Same song and dance in Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 8
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

Stevie Johnson and Coleman have randomly shouted him out. 

Beane and McD have brought him up as well. 

Every summer we have a darling who spends the year in Buffalo working out, so we will see come TC and more importantly preseason. Could he be the new Isaiah McKenzie?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

As it stands, we have 3 roster locks and Mack Hollins as a likely 4th.

If we don’t make any additions, my pre-camp guess would be Hamler and Shavers as the 5th & 6th, based on what we’ve heard. 

Shorter and Cephus being their competition but Hamler brings a speed element we can use on the outside and Shavers has been specifically referenced a few times by Beane. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Commish said:

Yes, it is possible.  Shakir and Samuel are fast as well.

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Stevie Johnson and Coleman have randomly shouted him out. 

Beane and McD have brought him up as well. 

Every summer we have a darling who spends the year in Buffalo working out, so we will see come TC and more importantly preseason. Could he be the new Isaiah McKenzie?

Our WR room is better than many fans think.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 7

31 minutes ago, Commish said:

I think Hamler was a big winner on draft weekend. Had Buffalo added a speedster like Worthy it would have made Hamler's skillset redundant. 

I think ultimately, he's battling Isabella for a roster spot in place of Harty. And if he stays healthy it's a battle he should come out on top of. Hamler has flashed at the NFL level. He has talent. Aside from the injuries he's also had limited opportunity due to being buried a bit on the depth chart behind Sutton, Juedy and Tim Patrick (when he's been healthy). 

I'm not looking to him to be a major part of the offense in any event. 25-30 catches and 400ish yards.  Nothing insane but adding another element.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guy has had injury after injury since he got drafted and Broncos have been one of the worst run franchises the last couple years, but not sure why Indy let him go if he’s some kind of hidden gem that just needed to get healthy.  

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Unless he is returning kicks, he wont even make team.

I think this is probably true.  The 53 man roster is tough.  The guys at or near the bottom of the roster must do two things.  They must help on special teams and if they add a skill set to their position group the better. 

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

As it stands, we have 3 roster locks and Mack Hollins as a likely 4th.

If we don’t make any additions, my pre-camp guess would be Hamler and Shavers as the 5th & 6th, based on what we’ve heard. 

Shorter and Cephus being their competition but Hamler brings a speed element we can use on the outside and Shavers has been specifically referenced a few times by Beane. 

Shorter and Shavers are reportedly good Special Teams players and that is a value here. I'd expect at least one of them making the roster.

33 minutes ago, Mailman said:

It wouldn't surprise me, at this point. McBeane just doesn't value the wide out spot like most modern teams. Same song and dance in Carolina. 

I wouldn't necessarily qagree with this. 

Gave up a #1 to trade for Diggs and took a WR with the first pick of this draft.

There is 2/5 years we spend our first pick on WR. 

Continued adding other late round prospects and hit on Davis and presumably, Shakir. Drafted other guys like Shorter, Stevenson, Hodgins, McCloud and Prohel. Don't forget the McDermott draft the year before Beane came on they also traded up in the 2nd round for Zay Jones and wanted to try and develop him early here.

Took flyers on a ton of cheap FAs, none panned out there, and sure didn't spend big $$ on FA wide out.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't know about that. This is a sneaky good signing

Lol, its really not.  He's tiny and constantly injured.  He is a JAG in a league full of these guys.

A guy like Justin Shorter was excellent on special teams and its something Beane mentioned last year when they drafted him.  

Unless Hamler can play special teams, he won't be the 6th WR.

I am under the assumption the Bills are adding another body to this group after June 1st.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Lol, its really not.  He's tiny and constantly injured.  He is a JAG in a league full of these guys.

A guy like Justin Shorter was excellent on special teams and its something Beane mentioned last year when they drafted him.  

I am under the assumption the Bills are adding another body to this group after June 1st.

He’s hardly a JAG…He is incredibly talented, and he might be the fastest guy on the team.

That said, his injury history is brutal. If he doesn’t make the team, it’s likely due to medical issues.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't care about him being tiny. Have you ever actually watched him play? He gets injured. When he's NOT injured, he's sneaky good. I think he is more than just camp fodder and more talented than McKenzie 

27 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yes, it is possible.  Shakir and Samuel are fast as well.

Our WR room is better than many fans think.  

I think so, too. It's lacking only name recognition. Shakir was better than Diggs last year, at least in the second half of the season; Samuels has produced despite never having a top-twenty quarterback; Coleman looks terrific; Hollins should be a solid, Kumerow-type 4th. Remember, they have a QB that produced big time with no more than Beasley, Brown, and loose change. 

But let's not kid ourselves. Hamler, Shavers, Isabella, and Shorter are all long shots. Maybe lightning will strike. More likely, they'll go the way of Deonte Hardy, Tanner Gentry, Isaiah Hodgins, Marquez Stephenson, Tavon Austin, and Jamison Crowder.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

He’s hardly a JAG…He is incredibly talented, and he might be the fastest guy on the team.

That said, his injury history is brutal. If he doesn’t make the team, it’s likely due to medical issues.

23 games, 42 recs, 620 yards, 3 tds.  The definition of a JAG.

• Agree 1

It would be great if KJ did well enough to make the roster. Based on investment, he is below Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, Hollins and Shorter. He is in that group with Shavers, Isabella, Cephus basically fighting for one open spot or to knock Shorter out. And that’s without us signing a more established FA at some point, or only keeping 5 WRs on the roster if we go heavier packages and wanted to keep a promising OLineman.

Basically, low odds he makes the 53 at all, and even lower odds he is the speed threat teams worry about for the Bills. Prove me wrong KJ. 

The years in the league, he's averaged 200 yards and a TD per season.  But for some unbeknownst reason, ala Sherfield, he's going to do something significant here?  

Another x-th time's the charm player.  

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, finn said:

I think so, too. It's lacking only name recognition. Shakir was better than Diggs last year, at least in the second half of the season; Samuels has produced despite never having a top-twenty quarterback; Coleman looks terrific; Hollins should be a solid, Kumerow-type 4th. Remember, they have a QB that produced big time with no more than Beasley, Brown, and loose change. 

But let's not kid ourselves. Hamler, Shavers, Isabella, and Shorter are all long shots. Maybe lightning will strike. More likely, they'll go the way of Deonte Hardy, Tanner Gentry, Isaiah Hodgins, Marquez Stephenson, Tavon Austin, and Jamison Crowder.

That is fair.

Over his 4-year career Hamler has only caught a pass in 20 games and amassed a grand total of 42 receptions, 620 yards and 3 TDs. His greatest production came in his rookie season (back in 2020) when he did exhibit some potential. But he barely played in 2021 and 2022 and not at all last season. I am really pulling for him -- but I don't think it is reasonable to expect much (if anything).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2