This Will Be The Make Or Break Year For This Regime

H2o

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

It's going to have to come down to a battle between Pegula and the media before he'll ever get rid of McD.  

McD would be doing himself and the team a major-league favor if he simply hired someone with come creativity and a plan on offense, rather than shooting from the hip every offseason/season.  ... even to the extent of contradicting himself via this Draft.  

He simply refuses to give up control of an offense that he knows little about in terms of getting the most out of it.  Brady merely schemes things according to McD's ill-fated methodologies.  

You could be right but I thought Brady might have a shot at being a good OC. The bigger problem, to me, may be the drafting itself — IF Coleman turns out to be a failed pick and if others we passed by turn out to be stars. The lack of higher picks directed at the O line too is a questionable aspect.

For me, the biggest McD fail is the constant collapse of the defence in every playoffs. it seems built for the regular season but next to useless in the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong about playoff D and I hope Keon is a star. Not banking on either but I'm a Bills fan first, not a "see, I was right" person who gloats when my team fails to perform. But I am getting anxious about Josh's wasted prime and I would think most reasonable fans would agree we have not made the best effort to give hims the offense he needs to win a Super Bowl.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Idk how anyone can think this is a "make or break year" when everyone from the top down says this is a "year of transition".

It doesnt quite mesh with 'make or break' does it?

Only way i'd see Coach getting fired is if we start 0-10 with a 100% healthy Josh Allen. That decision, as well as making a run for the SB, are all delayed til next year.

We're in transition :P

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

Idk how anyone can think this is a "make or break year" when everyone from the top down says this is a "year of transition".

It doesnt quite mesh with 'make or break' does it?

Only way i'd see Coach getting fired is if we start 0-10 with a 100% healthy Josh Allen. That decision, as well as making a run for the SB, are all delayed til next year.

We're in transition :P

When fans insist that it’s a make or break year, it really has nothing to do with McBeane but rather their own projections because it’s really a make or break year for them. 

• Agree 1

As much as I have been critical of McDermott's defenses falling apart in the playoffs, what would it look like if Elam was at least competent and one of the recent DE picks was as good at being a DE as Oliver is at DT?

It could be a totally different defense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, H2o said:

I'm not looking for your affirmation, so :thumbsup:

The Chiefs did dismantle us in that AFCCG appearance. Even though it was close at halftime, you KNEW which way it was going to go. They dominated from start to finish. They had Allen so frustrated he was chucking the ball at people while on the ground. 

The 13 Second game was the next colossal flop by a McDermott led squad. It is one of THE biggest flops in Playoff history. To deny that is to live in delusion. 

I like how you mention nothing about how we were completely dominated by the Bengals. Out coached, out played, and ran out of our own house. 

Did we not just lose by a FG attempt that went wide right? Yes, yes we did. The difference this time? It was to our arch nemesis at home in the Divisional Round, and not in the SB. And our defense couldn't stop a nose bleed that game. Nothing McDermott schemed really worked, at all. We were only in the game because of Josh and the Hardman fumble at the goal line. 

Have we not had 3 OC's on 3 years? Yes, yes we have. I know Daboll got a HC job. There were many people at the time who said they would have rather kept Daboll than McDermott. That we should have made Daboll HC. The relationship he and Josh has been the biggest difference in what we have seen from this offense the last couple of years. The mention of the 3 OC's is talking about the constant change, and instability in that room. Josh is a generational talent, yes, and could probably run an offense himself at this point. Still, I hope Brady is the guy who brings stability and innovation back to that room for everyone else. We shall see. 

I'm not throwing crap at the wall. I'm speaking the truth. I believe this entire off-season is going to make or break this regime. If the guys we drafted don't look like any of them are going to be impact players, if Worthy becomes a monster in the KC offense, if our WR group ends up as bad as it looks in comparison to the rest of the NFL right now, if Coleman flops, if we are a middling team that ends up 3rd in the division while missing the Playoffs, if other WR's we passed on look good on the field for their respective teams, then this regime's seats will probably be blazing hot in 2025. It will put on full display the questionable choices they have made, as well as everything prior ending back under the microscope, and the talk will be how they are wasting Allen's prime years. And that's  IF things play out on the wrong side of the "if's" just like I said before. 

Well I will give it to you anyways. 😂 spot on 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, H2o said:

I'm not looking for your affirmation, so :thumbsup:

The Chiefs did dismantle us in that AFCCG appearance. Even though it was close at halftime, you KNEW which way it was going to go. They dominated from start to finish. They had Allen so frustrated he was chucking the ball at people while on the ground. 

The 13 Second game was the next colossal flop by a McDermott led squad. It is one of THE biggest flops in Playoff history. To deny that is to live in delusion. 

I like how you mention nothing about how we were completely dominated by the Bengals. Out coached, out played, and ran out of our own house. 

Did we not just lose by a FG attempt that went wide right? Yes, yes we did. The difference this time? It was to our arch nemesis at home in the Divisional Round, and not in the SB. And our defense couldn't stop a nose bleed that game. Nothing McDermott schemed really worked, at all. We were only in the game because of Josh and the Hardman fumble at the goal line. 

Have we not had 3 OC's on 3 years? Yes, yes we have. I know Daboll got a HC job. There were many people at the time who said they would have rather kept Daboll than McDermott. That we should have made Daboll HC. The relationship he and Josh has been the biggest difference in what we have seen from this offense the last couple of years. The mention of the 3 OC's is talking about the constant change, and instability in that room. Josh is a generational talent, yes, and could probably run an offense himself at this point. Still, I hope Brady is the guy who brings stability and innovation back to that room for everyone else. We shall see. 

I'm not throwing crap at the wall. I'm speaking the truth. I believe this entire off-season is going to make or break this regime. If the guys we drafted don't look like any of them are going to be impact players, if Worthy becomes a monster in the KC offense, if our WR group ends up as bad as it looks in comparison to the rest of the NFL right now, if Coleman flops, if we are a middling team that ends up 3rd in the division while missing the Playoffs, if other WR's we passed on look good on the field for their respective teams, then this regime's seats will probably be blazing hot in 2025. It will put on full display the questionable choices they have made, as well as everything prior ending back under the microscope, and the talk will be how they are wasting Allen's prime years. And that's  IF things play out on the wrong side of the "if's" just like I said before. 

Wow, I want to apologize--you are clearly being very objective in all you say above.  You are clearly just stating the facts and NOT letting your clear hatred of McDermott be the main filter through  which you see and analyze all things Bills.

I have highlighted some of the points in your post, see above, that most helped me to change my mind and so now respect your objective, rational,  and NOT irrational and hate driven takes on what you say...

You are clearly not hating above, not slamming the haters list of hate against McDermott against the wall, hate that we have all heard on this board from the tiny percentage of haters. Instead, you are clearly, calmly, and with a very even hand, just laying out the facts.  In fact, almost nothing you say can even be questioned or interpreted as hate filled irrational subjective bias.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 1

Idk, I agree McD is a bigger issue in big games than any other factor.

At the same time I don't see a coach being walked out when he's winning 11+ games a year. 

Philly kept Reid forever with the same issue. The Colts kept Dungy for a long time even though he was a big part of Manning losing to Brady in the playoffs.

If history repeats there is no way McD gets canned unless he has a 6-7 win season.

We shall see, but it's hard to put this as a make or break year when the only team that does better than them consistently is the Chiefs.

20 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

The relationship is a lot closer to that than somebody he's going to go behind to get out 

They aren't close.   It's a professional relationship.   Two very different types of people.

Now Daboll and Josh Allen?   They were close.

It's not a matter of Allen having to go behind anyone's back.  

If he refuses to sign an extension next offseason,  Pegula will have to do what he has to do to keep Josh Allen on board.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They aren't close.   It's a professional relationship.   Two very different types of people.

Now Daboll and Josh Allen?   They were close.

It's not a matter of Allen having to go behind anyone's back.  

If he refuses to sign an extension next offseason,  Pegula will have to do what he has to do to keep Josh Allen on board.

I didn't think it was the sequel to Brokeback Mountain. So you envision Allen holding Pegula hostage to get rid of HC otherwise he won't sign again? 

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

10 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Idk, I agree McD is a bigger issue in big games than any other factor.

At the same time I don't see a coach being walked out when he's winning 11+ games a year. 

Philly kept Reid forever with the same issue. The Colts kept Dungy for a long time even though he was a big part of Manning losing to Brady in the playoffs.

If history repeats there is no way McD gets canned unless he has a 6-7 win season.

We shall see, but it's hard to put this as a make or break year when the only team that does better than them consistently is the Chiefs.

Not sure that Reid’s a good comparison. He was consistently going deeper in the playoffs with much less talented QBs than Allen. Lost in the SB by 3 to the best Patriots team ever, thanks to three McNabb picks. 

Oh how quickly we forget the 7-9 years of Ralph Wilson and Dick Jauron. Under McD/Beane they’ve built a perennial winner. How quickly we forget how McD broke the 17 year playoff in his first season here with Tyrod Taylor as his QB.

Beane is also one of the better GMs in team history. Don’t forget how he aggressively traded up for Josh Allen in the 2018 draft, effectively blessing this team with one of our most talented players in team history at a crucial position.

Did we lose some quality players? Yes, but be more specific. Was it the 34 year old Hyde? Or the 33 year old Poyer? The 32 year old Morse? Which players? Be more specific.

Sure we’re in a bad spot cap wise, but that’s because we had to remove cancers from our team like Stefon Diggs, essentially forcing us to eat $33M in dead cap.

The way I see it, Beane has stocked this team up with young, cheap talent which will alleviate any cap issues in the future.

I understand that many are upset that we didn’t double dip at WR, but had we did double dip, it would have had to of been done really early to expect a meaningful impact. Would the outcome have been any different if we took Joe Schmo in RD4 than that of Justin Shorter that we took a year prior?

In closing @H2o my brother, don’t forget to make a gratitude statement or at the very least acknowledge the good that Mr. Pegula, Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott have done for this franchise. Beane had arguably his best draft here outside of the 2018 Draft in which he took Josh Allen and do keep in mind that we have a flurry of picks stockpiled for next year (1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7).

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's a reload year. Unless they fall flat on their faces, I doubt it's make or break at all.  If they were going to get canned anytime soon then this past year is when it should have happened, so the new regime could do the reloading.

Edited by Scott7975

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I didn't think it was the sequel to Brokeback Mountain. So you envision Allen holding Pegula hostage to get rid of HC otherwise he won't sign again? 

As for what I envision..........I envision Allen(and his agent, family etc..) having to be dissuaded from seeking greener pastures if they don't get past Mahomes and to a SB this year or the next at the latest.

If he decides he wants to go to a place with an offensive minded HC who actually gets to Super Bowls INSTEAD of staying with McDermott and getting speedboat out of the playoffs every year,  Pegula will have to oblige.   Just like Detroit had to with Stafford.    But you can be sure that the Bills organization will try to give Allen the same situation in Buffalo first.   They'd be dumb not to.   Elite QB's are a lot harder to find than solid HC's.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

On 4/29/2024 at 4:31 PM, TH3 said:

Nah…They are in contention for a SB every year as long as 17 BB and Mcd are around. A lot of words though

Then we end up being the chargers with Rivers era, really good and make playoffs every year, but never make the big one. Are people here really okay settling for that? 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:20 AM, KDIGGZ said:

Turning 28 next month. Let's say Bills miss playoffs or are 1 and done and everyone wants McD fired. They will just say it's a rebuilding year. Next year he's 29 and then let's say they crap the bed again. Then the next season he is over 30. Cam Newton was only good until 30, just saying....

The difference with Newton and Josh is the league and refs allowed Cam to be mugged in ways they do not allow with the emphasis on scoring and QB safety

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As for what I envision..........I envision Allen(and his agent, family etc..) having to be dissuaded from seeking greener pastures if they don't get past Mahomes and to a SB this year or the next at the latest.

If he decides he wants to go to a place with an offensive minded HC who actually gets to Super Bowls INSTEAD of staying with McDermott and getting speedboat out of the playoffs every year,  Pegula will have to oblige.   Just like Detroit had to with Stafford.    But you can be sure that the Bills organization will try to give Allen the same situation in Buffalo first.   They'd be dumb not to.   Elite QB's are a lot harder to find than solid HC's.

Remind us again why you consider this elaborate fan fiction of yours to be a probable scenario?

What evidence do you have to support any of these ideas?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:49 AM, KDIGGZ said:

They are already laying the groundwork for the "it's a rebuilding year" excuse. They will likely get another shot next year and then by then Josh will be in his 30's already and nothing to show for it

Not an excuse, it's reality.  Stalwart center, All-Pro WR, and tandem safeties all gone.  Bills retooling.  Ceiling would be a playoff win for this team.  Might not even win their own division.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Stafford was on one of the worst teams in football. We have won 4 straight AFC East titles.

For your view to be plausible:

- Josh would have to think McDermott has enough fault that it should cost him his job.

- Then Josh would have to throw a coup when he doesn't fully understand where the loyalties of his peers reside.

- Along with the hope being somehow those people will say, "yes, it needed to be that way for the greater good" vs "I don't trust QB1 anymore". 

- If Josh would go to this level he would have to hate McDermott so much he won't play here if he is here.

I will say absolutely zero chance exists that Joshua David Allen would act on the scenario you're proposing. If it could be less than zero if that was possible.  I actually would rather we move on from McD but it won't happen this way. Which is a reason why most in the replace him camp are even more dejected as we see no end with McD.  We could miss the playoffs next year and he will still be around. 

• Disagree 1