This Will Be The Make Or Break Year For This Regime

H2o

6 hours ago, VW82 said:

Yeah, no. 

McBeane have been extended. We just started a rebuild. We’re coming off a sustained track record of success by any measure that isn’t just SB or bust. Some of you guys aren’t living in reality. 

Also, why does it feel like so many here just became fans in 2018? Do you guys not remember what two decades of incompetence actually looks like??

Do you remember what five wasted years of one of the top 2 QBs in the NFL looks like? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, H2o said:

We have all seen how things unfolded the last few years. A dismantling in the AFC Championship game by KC, 13 Seconds, the flop against Cincy, and then the recreation of Wide Right. McDermott has had friction with multiple coaches because he can't stop meddling. We've had 3 OC's the last 3 years. Frazier was sent packing, McDermott officially took over the defense, and now Babich is going to be "running" things. We've had some questionable draft choices when there seemed to be better options at the time, usually involving selecting defensive players. Now, because of the way they tried to build this squad, and the unnecessary drama, we are in what Beane calls a "transition" phase. 

People love to talk about 2017, how we handed KC Mahomes. Beane wasn't here for that though. It was strictly a McDermott draft based off of the work Whaley and his scouts had done. That draft brought us White, Dawkins, and Milano. If not for the injuries that have derailed White's career, we could talk about the entire situation in a different manner. You can't deny that, right now, Mahomes is on his way to staking a claim at GOAT status. It is what it is. Now fast forward to 2024. Knowing what Allen needed, what this team needed, they traded with KC. With the situation that has unfolded with Rashee Rice, you have to believe KC was looking at WR. They take the WR with the fastest recorded 40 of all time. Me, personally, Worthy doesn't scare me. Yes, he's fast. But he has had some drops and the guy is lighter than my 16 year old at 165lbs. Let him get out there to get squared up by some of these LB's and S's who outweigh him by 30lbs-70lbs. I just don't think he's built to last in this league. I don't see him as Tyreek Hill 2.0 at all. Tyreek is 25lbs heavier than him and is a 4.2 guy in pads, as well as on the track. Still, if I am wrong, the Bills FO just handed KC a guy who will give us fits for years to come. It will be another black eye on this organization from something McDermott, and this time Beane, had hands in. 

The "run it back" mentality has bit them this time. Because we were so close in the 13 seconds game, they developed this "run it back" type of mentality. Sure, we changed a player here or there, but many of the pieces have been the same squad since then. The weight is always, squarely, on Josh's shoulders. People try to use KC as a comparison and say look at what they were able to achieve without big name WR's, or whatever else. Well, KC has Mahomes, Andy Reid scheming the offense for Mahomes (probably THE largest difference), one of the greatest TE's ever to play the game, has typically had a top tier OL, a REALLY good defense littered with talent across the board, and a DC in Spagnuolo who has been a part of 4 SB winning defenses. Gabe never developed, Edmunds never developed, Von's knee, Poyer got old, Hyde's neck injury, White constantly on IR, constantly cycling out JAG's to fill holes, constantly rolling with meh WR's (outside of Diggs, who became more trouble than he was worth), keeping together a middling OL because Josh makes them look better than they actually are, defensive instability, and have changed the guy calling the offense out 3 times in 3 years. Now, on top of that, we find ourselves in Cap purgatory and still no closer to the goal we wish to achieve. 

Going into the 2024 draft, a blind man could see Josh needed weapons on the outside. We had big shoes to fill in Diggs and we needed an upgrade on what Gabe Davis was in this offense. Shakir has shown promise, but he's primarily been used in the Slot. We signed Curtis Samuel, who has primarily been a Slot guy as well. After that we were left with a bunch of JAG's we already had. In the best WR class in at least 10 years, we come away with one WR. I'm not counting the camp fodder UDFA's. We drafted ONE guy. Opinions vary on that one guy. He is truly a boundary WR though. Still, you would have thought this team would have doubled up on boundary guys for the sake of giving their generational talent QB more to work with. Instead they throw all their eggs in one basket by going Safety, DT, and RB with their next 3 selections. Kirby mentioned it in another thread, and I have to concur, that this team looks to have a bottom 5 WR group right now. Until proven otherwise on the field, it is what it is. I think it is a failure, as well as a disservice to JA17, to only have come away with one WR out of this class. This doesn't mean I hate our draft, or grade it an F. I just think it's par for the course we've already seen from this regime, a course that has always seen us come up short.

In the end, I think this year will be the make or break for both Beane and McDermott. To continue to do things the same way and expect different results is madness. If the players they drafted become a foundational youth movement, if you can see the results on the field as to what they were drafted for, if Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman make for a dangerous group, if we can transition on the fly like KC did a couple years ago, and if we didn't just make the KC offense unstoppable again, then they'll be around for a while. But there are A LOT of "if's" in that statement. At some point you have to pull the plug if it's not getting you any closer to what should be the goal of every franchise in professional sports, a championship. We shall see. 

Even if the Bills didn’t make the playoffs this year and Coleman underperforms, I doubt many of those in disagreement would still call for them to be fired. So I guess the next question is at what point should the plug be pulled?  Two seasons, three seasons, never?  I was done at 13 seconds. I think many are just happy to be relevent and entertained.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, <bills4life> said:

Even if the Bills didn’t make the playoffs this year and Coleman underperforms, I doubt many of those in disagreement would still call for them to be fired. So I guess the next question is at what point should the plug be pulled?  Two seasons, three seasons, never?  I was done at 13 seconds. I think many are just happy to be relevent and entertained.  

Think Jeff Fisher.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Think Jeff Fisher.

Sadly McDermott does just enough to inspire hope.  Yet 0-6 vs division winning teams in the playoffs.  I’m not really sure why anyone would expect something different.  Josh allen put two back to back epic virtually flawless playoff performances and it still wasn’t enough back in 2021.  This is a huge problem. Fake punts at your 30 last year in the 3rd quarter with the score 20-17. Really?  Absolutely absurd. And this is the guy you think is going to exercise good judgment in the future come playoff time?  I guess ignorance is bliss. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

BINGO

And it’s so perplexingly sad

It’s definitely not a champions mentality mindset, that’s for sure.  Bills fans should expect and demand more.  Unfortunately that’s what 20 years of suck does. McDermott and Beane are not horrible.  They are just not good enough.  But then again with josh as your qb he would make many gms and coaches look not horrible.  Yeah I get it beane drafted him.  But at some point something needs to give here.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't get it yall are like the never Trumper's ! No matter how good it could be your going to B**CH about it with out even giving it a chance to see how it might be . It's to bad we can't excommunicate some fans .

I'm not real happy with the way this draft came out i thought that Beane didn't need to make another trade after going from 28 to 32, i wished they would have taken Leggette at 32 & then took Keon at 33 that would have been enough to shut some people up maybe not all and those extra picks unless Beane & company know something we don't .

But i'm still not going to the extremes that some here are going to it doesn't matter who or how great the coach is every year is totally different especially since free agency took over so please get over the fire McD thing !! 

Besides name me 1 coach that you could bring in and guarantee that by that change & that 1 change alone the Bills would be any further ahead some said Sean Payton but look at how he left the Saints he was a huge part of putting them in the hell they are still in, yah thats what the Bills need !! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Beane and McD should have zero chance at a free pass if they screw the pooch this year with this team.

They have used every excuse in the book for the teams loses & shortcomings.  There is no more tolerance for their " Shi* don't stink attitude."

It does stink a mile away with these two guys in the same room.....

giphy.gif

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I think you have to consider the business side of this team.  When you do, you realize we have a new stadium coming in two seasons.  IMO, there is no way Terry makes big changes at GM or coach before they move into a new stadium.

4 minutes ago, T master said:

I don't get it yall are like the never Trumper's ! No matter how good it could be your going to B**CH about it with out even giving it a chance to see how it might be . It's to bad we can't excommunicate some fans .

I'm not real happy with the way this draft came out i thought that Beane didn't need to make another trade after going from 28 to 32, i wished they would have taken Leggette at 32 & then took Keon at 33 that would have been enough to shut some people up maybe not all and those extra picks unless Beane & company know something we don't .

But i'm still not going to the extremes that some here are going to it doesn't matter who or how great the coach is every year is totally different especially since free agency took over so please get over the fire McD thing !! 

Besides name me 1 coach that you could bring in and guarantee that by that change & that 1 change alone the Bills would be any further ahead some said Sean Payton but look at how he left the Saints he was a huge part of putting them in the hell they are still in, yah thats what the Bills need !! 

The Bills traded down from 32 to 33.  It was impossible to make picks at 32 and 33!

6 minutes ago, JK Fan said:

I think you have to consider the business side of this team.  When you do, you realize we have a new stadium coming in two seasons.  IMO, there is no way Terry makes big changes at GM or coach before they move into a new stadium.

The Bills traded down from 32 to 33.  It was impossible to make picks at 32 and 33!

My bad sorry !! I think they should have taken Legette at 32 and i feel they could have traded their 60th pick and a couple others like a 4 & a 5 to get up to get Keon . 

Edited by T master

11 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

Unfortunately they will be here till the new stadium and beyond cause Pegula is an owner who really doesn’t care

Exactly. It’s just a business to Pegula, and McBeane do just enough to stay afloat. 

• Agree 1

I get some of the frustration, and I'd love a Super Bowl, but:

The last five years:
10-6
13-3
11-6
13-3
11-6

McD is not going anywhere . . . 
and we oughta be sayin Thank You!

I'm exactly as old as the Bills - where would you rather be than right here, right now?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Keep crying. It doesn't do any good. McDermott and Beane are completely safe. They are both well respected around the league. They have built a great franchise that wins tons of games, including winning playoff games. And they unfortunately haven't gotten over the KC Mahomes hump, nor has anyone else, really. They'll have another crack at it this year, and for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

BINGO

And it’s so perplexingly sad

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

I think many are just happy to be relevent and entertained.  

All fans want their team to be champions. However, most don't need it in order to feel personally fulfilled.

You're not involved with the team. Their failures are not your failures, just as their accomplishments are not your accomplishments. 

That's the weird dynamic with fandom that some people get hung up on and it affects their emotions to an unhealthy degree.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Do you remember what five wasted years of one of the top 2 QBs in the NFL looks like? 

Huh? We hardly wasted any years with Jim as a top 2 QB (if he ever was that...Marino, Elway, Aikman, Montana, Young, Favre). 

Our defense was ranked 4th, 2nd, and 1st the last three years. We had one of the top wideouts in the game. We had home field and the ball in this last one. Just because we've repeatedly fallen short vs. KC, that doesn't make them wasted years. Josh came up short this last time. Is he a wasted player too? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

My bad sorry !! I think they should have taken Legette at 32 and i feel they could have traded their 60th pick and a couple others like a 4 & a 5 to get up to get Keon . 

Legette or Coleman was going to be the X. If you take one at 32, you should have traded up for McConkey, in my view. Doesn't matter now. 

I think you're spending a 2025 second and maybe a bit more to move up from 60 to 33.

I do hope they bring in a veteran after 6/1. If there really was a secret plan to trade for Aiyuk, well, that would be grand, but it's probably soap bubbles.

• Like (+1) 1