Draft Analysis - We're All Debi from Depew

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Every blue moon, an intrepid crime podcaster breaks a criminal case.  But imagine your daughter was kidnapped and you had a binary choice: (A) You can have the FBI, with all its trained investigators, forensic scientists, labs, subpoena power, police connections, and other resources handle the investigation.  (B)  You can have Debi from Depew, who views herself as an investigative reporter because she podcasts from her mom’s basement, search for your daughter.  I don’t know about you, but I’d choose A.   

It's part of fandom to stand by our unfounded opinions, call the GM a moron, and generally spout nonsense. But, if we want to be honest about it, we’re all - to varying degrees - Debi from Depew. 

Fans are notoriously lousy at assessing draft picks.  Many of us criticized Beane when he picked Josh in the draft while few of us offered up flowers when he chose Milano.  And, look, talent evaluation is hard.  Go back and look at what sportswriters said five years ago about the draft.  Their hit rate isn’t high.  Even the analytic guys, armed with their algorithms and statistical analyses, aren’t good.  They told us that if Josh became a successful NFL QB, it would shake the very foundations of all math, science, and human knowledge. 

I doubt if there’s anyone on this board who knows as much about scouting college players as Tyler Pratt who starts researching and evaluating players at 5:30 am each day and keeps at it until 8pm.  Tyler is an area scout for the Bills Personnel Department which includes 18 dedicated fulltime professionals, not including the admin folks, and is aided by 7 equally dedicated professionals in the Analytics & Football Research Department.  While none of us matches Pratt hours and expertise, we don’t hesitate to act like we’re smarter than Beane and his entire, fantastically resourced organization. 

So when someone starts spouting that Beane is an idiot because he drafted a slow wideout, a lineman with short arms, and a guy who never played football before, I just yawn.  Debi from Depew doesn’t interest me.  Beane and his team have spent millions of dollars, studied thousands of hours of tape, conducted hundreds of interviews.  I just hope the Bills FBI (Foot Ball Investigative) unit is better than the FBI units at our rivals.  Time will tell.  But I trust Beane and his team of experts far more than Debi from Depew.

If fans discussing the team and their opinions on the players, coaches and GM’s holds no interest in you, why come to TBD at all?

It can’t be to debate PSL’s. After all, the Pegula business people know best.

Is it to look at photo renderings of the new stadium?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think knowing more than the fans is much of a flex tbh

That shouldn't even be the minimum job requiremrnt

Um dude, he's saying people shouldn't listen to Debbie from Depew, not that Bills leadership and scouting should be proud they know more than Debbie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If fans discussing the team and their opinions on the players, coaches and GM’s holds no interest in you, why come to TBD at all?

Stop it, you're not an architect

5 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Um dude, he's saying people shouldn't listen to Debbie from Depew, not that Bills leadership and scouting should be proud they know more than Debbie.

Thanks dude 

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40. He was so ***** terrible. League must've felt bad for the 49ers and let them win those SBs. How does Bill Walsh get in the HoF with such a stupid draft pick? Didn't he know slow receivers like Jerry Rice are terrible? 2BD needs to build a time machine to prevent 49ers from tarnishing their great dynasty with drafting that slow loser. 

And don't get me started on the other slow pokes in Emmitt Smith and Frank Gore. When will NFL GMs learn that 40 times are way more important than on-field ability, winning super bowls or even personal accolades and records. If Smith and Rice could only move faster, the Cowboys and 49ers would've had at least 20 more superbowls.

We are doooooooooooomed!

You forgot to include SB winner and borderline HOFer Anquan Bolden.  What a reach for the Cardinals in the second round. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There's a difference between people having their own opinion and the swirling negative group think of Deppie from Depew and Frank on a cell

• Agree 4

Just now, YodaMan79 said:

You forgot to include SB winner and borderline HOFer Anquan Bolden.  What a reach for the Cardinals in the second round. 

He didn’t win a ring for the Cardinals lmao. 

Incredible self-own

Just now, HardyBoy said:

There's a difference between people having their own opinion and the swirling negative group think of Deppie from Depew and Frank on a cell

Apparently not. None of us work for the Bills. We don’t know anymore than they do. So why listen to anyone at all ever? 

Why listen to Daniel Jeremiah? He doesn’t have the resources Brandon Beane has, right? Waste of time.

• Eyeroll 2

Nope, he did with the Ravens.  But the Cardinals had the audacity to draft a guy who couldn't run or jump.

Self own?  Explain this one to me since you're obviously the smartest guy in the room.  

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1

Every blue moon, an intrepid crime podcaster breaks a criminal case.  But imagine your daughter was kidnapped and you had a binary choice: (A) You can have the FBI, with all its trained investigators, forensic scientists, labs, subpoena power, police connections, and other resources handle the investigation.  (B)  You can have Debi from Depew, who views herself as an investigative reporter because she podcasts from her mom’s basement, search for your daughter.  I don’t know about you, but I’d choose A.   

It's part of fandom to stand by our unfounded opinions, call the GM a moron, and generally spout nonsense. But, if we want to be honest about it, we’re all - to varying degrees - Debi from Depew. 

Fans are notoriously lousy at assessing draft picks.  Many of us criticized Beane when he picked Josh in the draft while few of us offered up flowers when he chose Milano.  And, look, talent evaluation is hard.  Go back and look at what sportswriters said five years ago about the draft.  Their hit rate isn’t high.  Even the analytic guys, armed with their algorithms and statistical analyses, aren’t good.  They told us that if Josh became a successful NFL QB, it would shake the very foundations of all math, science, and human knowledge. 

I doubt if there’s anyone on this board who knows as much about scouting college players as Tyler Pratt who starts researching and evaluating players at 5:30 am each day and keeps at it until 8pm.  Tyler is an area scout for the Bills Personnel Department which includes 18 dedicated fulltime professionals, not including the admin folks, and is aided by 7 equally dedicated professionals in the Analytics & Football Research Department.  While none of us matches Pratt hours and expertise, we don’t hesitate to act like we’re smarter than Beane and his entire, fantastically resourced organization. 

So when someone starts spouting that Beane is an idiot because he drafted a slow wideout, a lineman with short arms, and a guy who never played football before, I just yawn.  Debi from Depew doesn’t interest me.  Beane and his team have spent millions of dollars, studied thousands of hours of tape, conducted hundreds of interviews.  I just hope the Bills FBI (Foot Ball Investigative) unit is better than the FBI units at our rivals.  Time will tell.  But I trust Beane and his team of experts far more than Debi from Depew.

Study long study wrong! 😂 Jk

Actually I agree with u to an extent there's much more to it then just measurables and stats . Obviously there's scheme fit character fit and other things we don't know about . 

Do u know who is the NFL version of Debi from Depew ? It's the Cincinnati Bengals I believe they have like 3 scouts only and they always seem to take the players rated highly by the media or the guys that are dropping due to character concerns and let me say the Bengals are damn good at drafting especially recently. Its just funny how that works and they are basically the admiration of all Debi from across the globe! 😂

I'll be honest I'm definitely a Debi from Depew and have been one for nearly 30yrs. 😂 

I don't watch college football. I don't watch film. I look at mock drafts and player rankings. I look at measurables like height and weight, 40 time, and other combine results. I then watch highlights and breakdowns from other people. That's how I fashion my opinions.

I don't have any delusions that I know more than anyone, especially the professionals. I think a lot of fans do about the same as I do and then somehow develop these extreme opinions with massive conviction. That's what I don't get. They haven't done the work to warrant such strong opinions.

There are a few here who do watch some film and actually evaluate the players. I respect their opinions more, but they are still doing it only at a hobby level.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After saying to myself after reading one or two of the imbecilic posts breaking down the draft and calling for Beane’s ouster, is this nonsense worth looking at as a fan? And then a post like yours comes along on a white charger from the sky. Beautifully written.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At the end of the day we all want a championship.  

Keep in mind though, the same things have been said about all of our prior GMs at one point or another also.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not a self-deprecating post. That's an odd label to put on it. It's a reminder to practice humility.

I think it's convenient that people like to remind other people to practice humility when they have a difference of opinion on a particular subject 

• Like (+1) 1

yeah, the FO has been great.  Groot and Basham are annual pro bowl players and Humphrey is a bum. 

The idea that fans should’t opine in picks, etc is ridiculous.  We are the customers.  The customer is not always right, but no harm in sharing our thoughts in a message board. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think people are much more pissed off over our philosophy than specific players. Even if they hated Keon Coleman, most people will acknowledge it's a crap shoot and that he could end up being a very good player for us. I think where people do have a legitimate beef is just in the lack of resources used at WR as a whole. They see a GM who has taken one WR in the first two rounds during his tenure. Who post Diggs being traded had a decent hole created. One given our resources was likely not going to be filled in FA or even in FA and the draft. But I think people are pretty frustrated that we seemed to do the bare minimum to remedy that for even next year. They sort of think how can we not have at least developmental needs with a late pick? It's pure neglect to them.

I feel we are likely better off than people think as I expect Kincaid to become a pro bowl TE this year. I also expect us to live in two TE and primarily be a running team. That is what we did the last 7 games last year when we went 7-1. We barely threw to WR's in that stretch. I think the perception was we would have wanted to do so more. I'm not sure that's the case. I certainly understand why people are pissed off. As a whole, looking at the attention to this position. It has been rather poor. As one poster mentioned it seems like we just follow KC with everything we do. Since they won SB's without the elite WR it seems like we have said look! We don't require this! The funny thing being, KC seems to be really trying to increase production in that position. So even if they found success they seem to have recognized how limiting the lack of talent ahs been for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's convenient that people like to remind other people to practice humility when they have a difference of opinion on a particular subject 

Also not what it is. I wanted Legette, one of the top Centers, and Troy Franklin or Tez Walker. I'm not crying on the message board that the FO should be fired. The OP has noted the other players he wanted too. 

So no, it's not "difference of opinion" that leads to one wanting to remind people about humility, it's just grown humans acting like babies.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2