The "who I would've drafted instead" re-draft, 2024 edition. Are you smarter than the GM?

Logic

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Please stop with the childish fire everybody stuff.  It's beneath you, particularly when you say that you don't get emotional.  That's purely an emotional response.  

As to the rest, I don't get emotional either.  It's difficult finding people to discuss with that do not.  

Where we differ is that I'm not merely content with an amusing season anymore.  I'd like to see a championship.  At the very minimum I'd like to see our best in the playoffs, but that's far from what we've gotten, particularly with a top-ranked defense during the regular season and one that plays like a bottom-10 ranked D in the playoffs, yes, statistically.  

Have a great week as well!  :) 

I do the "fire everybody" thing in jest, no offense intended nor produced by emotion. My family sat in the Rockpile in 1960 holding season tickets well into the 1990's, I watched the Bills win the 1965 Championship game on TV and sat in the Rockpile for the 1966 loss to the Chiefs. Go up on You Tube and watch highlites from the 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984,  and 1985 seasons; you dont know pain. I want the Bills to win a SB and think they will with the current regime. Come on now, you have to admit gloom and doom runs deep on TBD and gets old, same people constantly, hence my fire everybody thing. Returned you message, keep in touch!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

I do the "fire everybody" thing in jest, no offense intended nor produced by emotion. My family sat in the Rockpile in 1960 holding season tickets well into the 1990's, I watched the Bills win the 1965 Championship game on TV and sat in the Rockpile for the 1966 loss to the Chiefs. Go up on You Tube and watch highlites from the 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984,  and 1985 seasons; you dont know pain. I want the Bills to win a SB and think they will with the current regime. Come on now, you have to admit gloom and doom runs deep on TBD and gets old, same people constantly, hence my fire everybody thing. Returned you message, keep in touch!

I hear ya. 

you dont know pain.

You talkin' about from the seats at the Rockpile?  :D

LOL, just the '90s version otherwise.  Some '80s, but the expectations were low then.  

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, section122 said:

Isnt this a bit of an unfair exercise where we know who will still be available so we can play around with combinations?

Absolutely. Yes.

15 hours ago, DJB said:

Will you be bumping this thread in 3 years so we know the results ?

Yep.

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

That’s what this thread is for.  LAMP

I want other people to participate by adding their own alternate draft class. It is not meant to be a "me" thing.

I thought it would be a fun game for the draftniks on the board. Like a mock draft in reverse.

Edited by Logic

15 hours ago, section122 said:

Isnt this a bit of an unfair exercise where we know who will still be available so we can play around with combinations?

And here’s the perfect example

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Johnny Newton

Roman Wilson

Troy Franklin

TJ Tampa

Who Cares

Who Cares

Who Cares

Imagine if we took a slot WR before an X?  But knowing that Franklin was available with our 3rd pick allows you to add yet another slot WR before the X.  

with the 60th pick, the Buffalo bills select their 3rd string slot WR.  

I like Wilson.  I think he’s landed in a great spot.  There’s just no way we could’ve taken him in rd 2 unless we knew which WRs would be availble in rd 3.  

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Absolutely. Yes.

Yep.

I want other people to participate by adding their own alternate draft class. It is not meant to be a "me" thing.

I thought it would be a fun game for the draftniks on the board. Like a mock draft in reverse.

Sorry, I think it’s a stupid game.  I’d recommend starting the game while the draft is going on and make your picks in real time so you don’t have the benefit of knowing which positions/players you can wait on due to players slipping.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I hear ya. 

you dont know pain.

You talkin' about from the seats at the Rockpile?  :D

LOL, just the '90s version otherwise.  Some '80s, but the expectations were low then.  

I’m talking about horrible football, coaching, quarterback play, drafting not only in the Rockpile but in Rich Stadium too. The Dolphins winning the 1970’s, jokes about the Bills on Johnny Carson I could go on and on. Why it takes a lot to get me rattled in 2024

3 hours ago, Buckets said:

Mitchell 

Chris Ballard said they did deep due diligence on Mitchell and while he is “young” and “has a chip on his shoulder” he’s a fine young man etc…He said Mitchell was a victim of a smear campaign where scouts said things about him but were unwilling to put their names on the record. 

Of course those things might still be true. 

In team building the Bills are just not interested in dealing with a player who has special needs and requires some support. Maybe that makes sense. Maybe not. AD landed in a great spot for him. We will see how he makes out. At least AR wont leave 300 yards of production off AD’s stats, like what happened at Texas. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sorry, I think it’s a stupid game.  I’d recommend starting the game while the draft is going on and make your picks in real time so you don’t have the benefit of knowing which positions/players you can wait on due to players slipping.  

Fair enough. That's fine. Maybe you're right. Maybe it would've been better during the draft. Seeing as its not gaining traction the way I had hoped, maybe I'll try that instead next year.

I mostly just thought the "LAMP" response was unwarranted, because it was meant to be a participatory thing for everyone, just for fun.

• Like (+1) 1

Just a question about your picks that are the same as the Bills: were you actually hoping for those players when the Bills picked them, or did you decide you liked the pick afterward and decided you preferred the Bills pick over what you wanted at the time?

9 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

I’m talking about horrible football, coaching, quarterback play, drafting not only in the Rockpile but in Rich Stadium too. The Dolphins winning the 1970’s, jokes about the Bills on Johnny Carson I could go on and on. Why it takes a lot to get me rattled in 2024

Yeah, I know you were.  Just horsing around.  LOL  

• Like (+1) 1

I would have taken Worthy or Legette at 28/32

However, I’m fine with Keon.  Ocho Cinco believes he can be a Top 10 WR by year 2.  

That kind of endorsement outweighs my opinions / ignorance 

That said,  still not really okay with taking a Safety in Round 2 when it seems we could have gotten a similar player in Round 4

I like Carter, but again thought it was a round early

my favorite pick of the draft is Van Pran from Georgia.  Day 1 starter at Center IMO.  A powerful and mean player which was needed 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd like to start a new tradition here on Two Bills Drive. 

The premise is simple. I want everyone who's interested in testing their drafting acumen against Brandon Beane's to list who theywould have chosen at each spot, based on who was available in real life, compared to who the Bills actually chose.

I'll list where the Bills picked, who they picked in real life, and then who I would have picked. And I'd like each person who wants to participate to do the same. You can copy and paste the Bills picks and then post your own chosen player next to it (using the link below and picking only players who were available at that pick), unless you'd rather stick with who the Bills picked.

The only rule is that you have to pick where the Bills actually picked. You can't undo a trade-down they made, and you can't invent a new trade-down or trade-up. You have to stick with the real draft slots that the Bills picked from.

We can check back on this in future years and compare our own preferences to who Beane picked. A chance for each of us to put our money where our mouth is.

Here's the listing of everyone picked in the 2024 NFL draft and where, for easy reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_NFL_draft

I'll start:

Bills 2024 draft class:

Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah

Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia

Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington

Pick 168: DE Javon Solomon, Troy

Pick 204: T Tylan Grable, UCF

Pick 219: CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State

Pick 221: G Travis Clayton, International Player Pathway

Who I would've picked instead:

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah (same as Bills)

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

Pick 128: CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (same as Bills)

Pick 160: RB Tyron Tracy Jr, Purdue

Pick 168: DE Javon Soloman, Troy (same as Bills)

Pick 204: OG Christian Mahogany, Boston College

Pick 219: WR Brendan Rice, USC

Pick 221: CB MJ Devonshire, Pitt

I like this game a lot. The only thing that would make it better is if we actually had to make the picks when the Bills were in actually on the clock. More difficult to pull off but that would be awesome. As it is I’ll try to my draft in the next day or two.

Bills 2024 draft class:

Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah

Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia

Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington

Pick 168: DE Javon Solomon, Troy

Pick 204: T Tylan Grable, UCF

Pick 219: CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State

Pick 221: G Travis Clayton, International Player Pathway

(For the record, I would've taken Legette at 32.)

Pick 33: C Zach Frazier, West Virginia

Pick 60: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

Pick 95: S Kamron Kinchens, Miami

Pick 128: CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Pick 141: RB Audric Estime, Notre Dame

Pick 160: DE Javon Solomon, Troy (same as Bills, but earlier)

Pick 168: WR Malik Washington, Virginia

Pick 204: OT Tylan Grable, UCF (same as Bills)

Pick 219: WR Brendan Rice, USC

Pick 221: TE Devin Culp, Washington

I went with plenty of offense, especially fliers on athletic receivers, including the 7th round TE. Addressed a few needs on defense with guys I think could develop into good starters.

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And here’s the perfect example

Imagine if we took a slot WR before an X?  But knowing that Franklin was available with our 3rd pick allows you to add yet another slot WR before the X.  

with the 60th pick, the Buffalo bills select their 3rd string slot WR.  

I like Wilson.  I think he’s landed in a great spot.  There’s just no way we could’ve taken him in rd 2 unless we knew which WRs would be availble in rd 3.  

I honestly went with guys I was wanting at the time of the draft, like Troy Franklin in round two. In the earlier threads I was calling that the Bills would take a C/G then a WR with their first two picks. I also asked for Malik Washington multiple times in the draft thread.

Probably not the best exercise, but it is fun.

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd like to start a new tradition here on Two Bills Drive. 

The premise is simple. I want everyone who's interested in testing their drafting acumen against Brandon Beane's to list who theywould have chosen at each spot, based on who was available in real life, compared to who the Bills actually chose.

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah (same as Bills)

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

Pick 128: CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (same as Bills)

Pick 160: RB Tyron Tracy Jr, Purdue

Pick 168: DE Javon Soloman, Troy (same as Bills)

Pick 204: OG Christian Mahogany, Boston College

Pick 219: WR Brendan Rice, USC

Pick 221: CB MJ Devonshire, Pitt

I watched the whole draft and was torn between 3 choices at 33 (well, trade down one still my favorite). Anyway, #1 was [pick a WR] #2 Johnny Newton #3 Cooper Dejean. Gonna take a quick stab with drafting Newton instead.

Alternate Draft:

Pick 33: DT Johnny Newton, Illinois

Pick 60: OT Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

Pick 95: WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice

Pick 128: S Jaden Hicks, Washington State

Pick 141: DE Austin Booker, Kansas

Pick 160: CB Caelen Carson, Wake Forest

Pick 168: WR Bub Means, Pitt

Pick 204: RB Dylan Laube, NH

Pick 219: DE Myles Cole, Texas Tech

Pick 221: C Nick Gargiulo, South Carolina

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

What an amazing job. Wish I was smart enough to do something like that. I'm guessing you don't just pour the 'seed' on the embryo with a turkey baster and then go for a coffee?

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

What an amazing job. Wish I was smart enough to do something like that. I'm guessing you don't just pour the 'seed' on the embryo with a turkey baster and then go for a coffee?

It’s a bit more complex than that.

• Haha (+1) 1