Did we do enough at wide receiver?

@BADOLBILZ I can send probably like $36 or so to One Bills Drive for Beane to put towards signing a legitimate receiver. Might you consider matching my donation?

Or like...can YOU play receiver? Do you KNOW anyone that can play receiver? I've heard we're pivoting to big guys who are a load in the run game, so...Is your refrigerator fast when it's running? 

This is getting dire. We signed QUINTEZ CEPHUS. I had to look that up to make sure it was a real human person. Then we signed a receiver from Canada. CANADA, Badol. 

I feel like I'm being pranked and the reveal just hasn't happened yet.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

@BADOLBILZ I can send probably like $36 or so to One Bills Drive for Beane to put towards signing a legitimate receiver. Might you consider matching my donation?

Or like...can YOU play receiver? Do you KNOW anyone that can play receiver? I've heard we're pivoting to big guys who are a load in the run game, so...Is your refrigerator fast when it's running? 

This is getting dire. We signed QUINTEZ CEPHUS. I had to look that up to make sure it was a real human person. Then we signed a receiver from Canada. CANADA, Badol. 

I feel like I'm being pranked and the reveal just hasn't happened yet.

Oh I'm in for $36.  

We gonna' have to get a TBD NIL collective together to help Beane.

Where's that Seminole guy that posts all the draft stuff?  I think he's part of the collective at Food Stamp U that got Keon to go there maybe he can give us some tips.  I nominate @HOUSE as treasurer.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh I'm in for $36.  

We gonna' have to get a TBD NIL collective together to help Beane.

Where's that Seminole guy that posts all the draft stuff?  I think he's part of the collective at Food Stamp U that got Keon to go there maybe he can give us some tips.  I nominate @HOUSE as treasurer.

We are so broke 

• Haha (+1) 5

I’ve been arguing with the folks here who want us to add a name WR.  They wanted Beane to acquire Aiyuk or Metcalf or OBJ or “insert the name of your favorite FA here.”

I argued that given our budget constraints that Beane wasn’t going that route.  He was finally going to develop and rely on our own receivers.  He has to a certain extent.  The starters are going to feature 3 internal guys in Coleman, Kincaid and Shakir all with two years or less of experience.

Beane is Beane and he has signed 5 veteran receivers.  One former Brady protege Curtis Samuel who brings vet experience, position flexibility and speed.  He also brought in special teams ace Hollins who adds a big receiver to the WR group.

The other 3 are still young former top prospects who for various reasons haven’t reached their potential. They are 

1. Chase Claypool, 25. The former 2nd rd pick has 2 800+ yard seasons, but hasn’t found a good fit (bad attitude on his part?) the last two years. 
2. Quintez Cephus, 26.  Former 5th pick who had a solid rookie year but then injuries and a gambling suspension derailed a promising start. 
3. KJ Hamler, 24.  Speedy receiver and former 2nd rd pick whose career has been beset with major injuries but hopefully is now healthy.  

Beane is clearly throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping one of these guys or rookie 5th rd pick (2023) Shorter sticks.  I’d have preferred that Beane go GB style and draft more receivers, but for a team on a budget Beane’s is a reasonable approach.  He’ll look like a genius if one of them really emerges and makes a contribution. 

I think they keep it as is. Post camp if there is an injury or young skill guys dont take the required “step” I can see Beane making a move at that point.  

I think we didn't, even though I feel much better about our WR room than average TBD poster.

But I'd like to remind everybody that this time last year we had the same conversation about OL and RT in particular, when many thought Beane should've brought serious competition for Brown who was considered a bust. And this suddenly became a non issue after game 4 or so.

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I think we didn't, even though I feel much better about our WR room than average TBD poster.

But I'd like to remind everybody that this time last year we had the same conversation about OL and RT in particular, when many thought Beane should've brought serious competition for Brown who was considered a bust. And this suddenly became a non issue after game 4 or so.

Don't forget the LB discussions.  Beane and McDermott were toast for not bringing in star FAs and their draft picks were going to bust.

Sometimes (no matter what you think) it's best to just wait and see what happens.

18 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We are so broke 

Thank you for your concise financial report. I hate it when the message gets lost amid all kinds of charts and graphs. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Thank you for your concise financial report. I hate it when the message gets lost amid all kinds of charts and graphs. 

That fella sends the same report every year while sitting on a beach in Jamaica and sipping on a drink with a tiny umbrella in it.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Money Management GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I’ve been arguing with the folks here who want us to add a name WR.  They wanted Beane to acquire Aiyuk or Metcalf or OBJ or “insert the name of your favorite FA here.”

Beane is clearly throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping one of these guys or rookie 5th rd pick (2023) Shorter sticks.  I’d have preferred that Beane go GB style and draft more receivers, but for a team on a budget Beane’s is a reasonable approach.  He’ll look like a genius if one of them really emerges and makes a contribution. 

Beane did go down that route last year with Harty, Sherfield with terrible results. As others have stated here, once the Tre money comes in, it will be possible to sign DK while giving up a pick or two next year. My guess is that with so many WRs coming into the league this year, he won't command a Rd1 pick. 

I am holding out hope that he chooses a vet WR like DK who can make a big difference and set a firm floor for the WR room while raising the ceiling. We all hope that Coleman is good in his rookie season but that's hope and not a strategy.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Beane did go down that route last year with Harty, Sherfield with terrible results. As others have stated here, once the Tre money comes in, it will be possible to sign DK while giving up a pick or two next year. My guess is that with so many WRs coming into the league this year, he won't command a Rd1 pick. 

I am holding out hope that he chooses a vet WR like DK who can make a big difference and set a firm floor for the WR room while raising the ceiling. We all hope that Coleman is good in his rookie season but that's hope and not a strategy.

Actually that’s not what Beane did with Harty and Sherfield.  Beane gave Sherfield a one year guaranteed contract at 1.77 and Harty a 2 yr 9 mill deal with 5 guaranteed.  Both were given little to no competition to make the roster and both failed miserably.  They were ill used by the OCs and performed lousy when called upon. Did you know Harty was the 13th highest paid Bill last year?

This year the only FA WR guaranteed a roster spot is Samuel who has been a productive NFL player.  Claypool, Hamler, Isabella, Cephus and even Hollins are guaranteed nothing.  Hollins deal is for 2.6, but his dead cap is a manageable 1.1.  

As to Metcalf, Buffalo isn’t acquiring him.  His base salary is 13 mill.  Even with Tre’s money, Buffalo can’t afford him.  I also doubt Beane would have an interest.  Beane has stated time and again that this is a transition year.  This year is about retooling while getting our financial house in order.  Add Metclaf for 31 mill over the next two years just doesn’t fit with Beane’s stated plan.

PS:  I like Metcalf and think he’d do well with Josh.  We simply can’t afford him. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan

On 5/3/2024 at 1:17 PM, LabattBlue said:

Has BB done enough at WR?  Absolutely not.   Don’t talk about Kincaid, Knox, Cook, etc….

Coleman(rookie)

Samuel

Shakir

and….

????

For teams that use 3 WR formations more than 1/2 the time, the Bills have a rookie penciled in at one of the top 3 spots, and then nothing but dumpster diving in terms of WR depth.  If another move is made for a top 3 WR before the start of the season, I will backtrack, but as of today, the room is weak, and any injuries to the top 3 will not be pretty. 

Your user name is better than your thought process.  Last years starters were mediocre at best.  Diggs and Davis were nowhere near great or even very good.  Sherfield and Harty were terrible last year-total non factors.  The guys we have coming in will be much better than that.  You don’t need a great WR group to have a very good team.  Coleman Samuel Shakir and a bunch of guys who have potential and our hungry.   Nothing wrong w that.  And add Kincaid and our RB’s and we will be fine w #17 leading the way.  Season hasn’t started yet.  We can always add guys when we have more cap space opening up.