Did we do enough at wide receiver?

1 hour ago, Success said:

Reminder:  the most successful team in NFL history only prioritized the WR position ONCE, and didn't win a SB when they did that.

That team also won with defense early on before rules changed. Then became a offensive powerhouse with Moss, then with Gronk, welker, etc...

Edited by Herc11

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I mean how could Shakir ever replace Diggs performance against the Chiefs when we needed him the most? 3 catches for 21 yards and the biggest drop since Ronnie Harmon was here.

Diggs was just stellar down the stretch when the Bills put that winning streak together to get to the playoffs. We couldn’t have done that without his mediocre contributions.

Diggs outside of the Fins game and maybe one other game was not putting up good numbers.

But Diggs was still commanding a lot of attention from defenses as they were still treating him like a threat. So it’s going to be interesting to see the offense function without his WR1 presence and attention.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Diggs outside of the Fins game and maybe one other game was not putting up good numbers.

But Diggs was still commanding a lot of attention from defenses as they were still treating him like a threat. So it’s going to be interesting to see the offense function without his WR1 presence and attention.

Justin Reid says different…..

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/justin-reid-on-stefon-diggs-we-didnt-double-him

IMG_7515.jpeg

Edited by Beast

I posted this in another thread but it belongs here as well.

Here are some stats after week 6 when we opened up the offense and started using Kincaid and Shakir more.  (Stats include the playoffs)

Diggs - 111 tgts, 68 rec, 636 yards, 3 TDS, Catch % 61.26, yards/att  5.73

Kincaid - 83 tgts, 64 rec, 659 yards, 3 TDS, Catch % 77.11%, yards/att 7.94

Shakir - 52 tgts, 45 rec, 646 yards, 3 TDS, Catch % 86.54%, yards/att 12.42

Which of these players would you keep if you were the GM?  Also add that Diggs only had 19 explosive plays on 160 targets, while Shakir had 17 on 45 targets in the regular season.

Also combine comparison between Shakir and Diggs (both were 5th rd picks)

Shakir - 6' 196, 4.43 40, 1.49 10 yard split, 34.5 vertical - 78 Athleticism score

Diggs - 6' 195, 4.46 40, 1.53 10 yard split, 35 vertical - 69 Athleticism score  

FYI:  Why do I think and others think Shakir can replace Diggs.  He is physically nearly identical to Diggs, younger, cheaper, more productive since week 7 and more explosive.  

As to the thread question as to whether we did enough, I would argue we had if Coleman was faster.  He certainly is a replacement for Davis and if when we move Shakir to DIggs' former position and Samuel to the slot, I think you can make a reasonable argument that the starters are set.  Add Kincaid and Cook and you have a very nice group of targets for Josh.  The question of depth beyond the starters at WR is a legit question.

Right now we have Hollins, Shorter, Hamler & Isabella.  Color me un-impressed.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Relax people!

Gabe Davis was close to worthless when it mattered, so Samuel replaces his production easily!

Diggs disappeared for the entire second half of the season, so they started down the road of dumping his high cost and poor attitude and drafted a WR with their Top Pick. 
I have NO IDEA what people are thinking we could’ve done. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

Whats the point of drawing contrasts with the Patriots dynasty? Its literally the greatest team, with the greatest HC & QB of ALL TIME.

What worked for them, very well wont work for any other team, especially us.

We have a defensive minded coach, who coaches a defense that can never get the big stop to win a game.

A Bill Belichick coached D at the height of their prime, would seem unbeatable at times & that simply is not us.

Yes Josh Allen is a freakish talent & can do just about anything. But as we've found out, it takes more than that to win a Championship in this League.

Did we do enough at WR? Of course not. No way in hell anyone can claim we did. Is that okay? Well it depends on what the goal is for this season. Its not enough to put us in contention for a Lombardi this year tho. If thats the stated goal for this season: we've failed. When Beane says this is a team in transition, i think we know what that means.

Absolutely not.  We walked away with Coleman only in the deepest wr draft in history which we desperately needed.  I hope Beane and McDermott are fired after missing the playoffs this year 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Agree 1

Don't like this draft at all they missed and continue to miss at WR.   I do think the 2nd round pick can be someone after that it's a crapshoot....  Not expecting much from this year yes we have josh but even having superman hasn't been enough in the past. not sure it good enough to get them to the playoff this year with all the good teams in the AFC. pass rush is weak, and WR is weak.  unless Dalton Kincaid has a monster year I just dont see the WR's being good enough... hope im wrong 

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Relax people!

Gabe Davis was close to worthless when it mattered, so Samuel replaces his production easily!

Diggs disappeared for the entire second half of the season, so they started down the road of dumping his high cost and poor attitude and drafted a WR with their Top Pick. 
I have NO IDEA what people are thinking we could’ve done. 

Samuel doesnt replace him until he actually does we have not been getting anything out of FA WR last two years. 

Edited by gordong

49 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I mean how could Shakir ever replace Diggs performance against the Chiefs when we needed him the most? 3 catches for 21 yards and the biggest drop since Ronnie Harmon was here.

Diggs was just stellar down the stretch when the Bills put that winning streak together to get to the playoffs. We couldn’t have done that without his mediocre contributions.

So on TBD Shakir is better than Diggs.  Only on TBD, literally.

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

8 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Absolutely not.  We walked away with Coleman only in the deepest wr draft in history which we desperately needed.  I hope Beane and McDermott are fired after missing the playoffs this year 

Beane put us in this situation where he had to grab a number of average players instead of using picks to improve our draft position. McDermott has crapped his pants a number of times and rightfully should be on the hot seat having wasted 7 years of Josh Allen with nothing to show. Ownership loves these guys so i wouldn’t expect much too happen.

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Beane put us in this situation where he had to grab a number of average players instead of using picks to improve our draft position. McDermott has crapped his pants a number of times and rightfully should be on the hot seat having wasted 7 years of Josh Allen with nothing to show. Ownership loves these guys so i wouldn’t expect much too happen.

That's a fact that does not get mentioned enough.  Beane is the reason we are where we are at the moment, bad cap management, over paid players and cap hell.  Not to mention a terrible drafter.  We have 0 great players outside of Josh Allen, 0.  Beane has not drafted 1 difference maker outside of Josh Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

When you step back and think about it, it’s a bit headache inducing that in the deepest WR Draft in a long time, the team that was probably the most WR needy in the NFL took only one. 

1 minute ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

At this point you could line up as WR. This team is a joke

It's really not that bad. Kincaid is great receiver. He's going to get a much bigger role. Samuel is solid. Cook catches out of the backfield. Coleman looks like an upgrade over Gabe. It's just seeing Shakir out there in place of Diggs that's going to be jarring. 

Bet we see more 12 personnel this year. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

When you step back and think about it, it’s a bit headache inducing that in the deepest WR Draft in a long time, the team that was probably the most WR needy in the NFL took only one. 

I kept getting the feeling this hyped up depth at WR was overblown.