Logic's Buffalo Bills Draft Review -- The more things change, the more they stay the same

Logic

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Huh?  Allen is under contract through 2028

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/25102/josh-allen

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the "potential out" phrase in Spotrac?  It indicates the point where the team would take less dead cap hit to trade or cut the player than the cap hit to keep him on the roster.  But it's not the player's choice.

That's what I meant.  But let's see how it goes.

3 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Philly actually had needs at CB and WR.  Additionally BPA and value is determined by a team's draft board not what flashes across a TV screen.  As it turns out, the Bills were able to draft 7 of Daniel Jeremiah's top 150 with their first 7 selections.  They balanced their need with the value on the draft board which is what GMs generally do.  Scheme fits also play a huge role in how teams rank players.

Philly had needs at WR??  They just signed their #1 and 2 to $25M/$30M per contracts.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I really hope something is done at WR June 1st.  Josh has got to be frustrated as hell by now, I mean what else can this kid do? I do like Coleman and think he can be damn good, but what if he isn't.  I don't get not swinging for the fences, or at least taking the GB Route like you said.  Its almost like this draft was a FU to the fans, to the "experts" and media.

We dumped Diggs which was  needed and we didn't pay Davis which I agree with, but we haven't done anything but take 1 WR and sign Samuel.  I guess thats all the help they are going to give Josh.  So much for the BS at the combine etc, about getting more explosive.

I think the Bills have a pretty diverse skill set of offensive weapons now and I think it's going to be pick your poison defending them with different players being the "go to guy" in different games depending on what other teams do on D and how they play them.

Kincaid is going to be a star and matchup nightmare.

Cook is already close to a star and matchup nightmare.

Shakir was coming on strong and is going to likely take a huge step this year.

Knox is still solid even tho he had a down year.

Samuel is a solid #2 and provides quickness and speed and is a YAC chewer upper 

Coleman is a big bodied WR that is open when he isn't open that can box out defenders like he was playing basketball and should be a big red zone target initially.

Davis is going to be a great change of pace back along with Ty Johnson who just always made stuff happen every time he touched the ball.

I think people are underestimating the offense. I don't think much changes in terms of scoring ability.

Plus we still have Josh Allen who more often than not can make something out of nothing and make your jaw drop 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think the Bills have a pretty diverse skill set of offensive weapons now and I think it's going to be pick your poison defending them with different players being the "go to guy" in different games depending on what other teams do on D and how they play them.

Kincaid is going to be a star and matchup nightmare.

Cook is already close to a star and matchup nightmare.

Shakir was coming on strong and is going to likely take a huge step this year.

Knox is still solid even tho he had a down year.

Samuel is a solid #2 and provides quickness and speed and is a YAC chewer upper 

Coleman is a big bodied WR that is open when he isn't open that can box out defenders like he was playing basketball and should be a big red zone target initially.

Davis is going to be a great change of pace back along with Ty Johnson who just always made stuff happen every time he touched the ball.

I think people are underestimating the offense. I don't think much changes in terms of scoring ability.

Plus we still have Josh Allen who more often than not can make something out of nothing and make your jaw drop 

In what universe is Curtis Samuel a #2 WR?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

In what universe is Curtis Samuel a #2 WR?

In the universe of reality where people don't expect #2 WRs to be posting 90 catches and 1200 yards.

Go look at what a #2 WR historically produces. Then come back and let's have a discussion.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In the universe of reality where people don't expect #2 WRs to be posting 90 catches and 1200 yards.

Go look at what a #2 WR historically produces. Then come back and let's have a discussion.

The teams we're competing against WR2's:

One of Rashee Rice, Hollywood Brown, Xavier Worthy

Jaylen Waddle

Nico Collins/Tank Dell

Tee Higgins

Stop huffing the copium

• Eyeroll 2

40 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Philly had needs at WR??  They just signed their #1 and 2 to $25M/$30M per contracts.  

Correct...  But outside of the top two last year, they had zilch (Quez Watkins and a washed up Julio Jones).  That's why they brought in Campbell and Parker in free agency. So Smith was a need as number 5 receiver at least.  They grabbed Johnny Wilson in the 6th...but outside of being tall, he's no great shakes so I wouldn't call him the BPA.

38 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Jaylen Waddle

Nico Collins/Tank Dell

Tee Higgins

Stop huffing the copium

Samuel put up 600+ yards in offenses with zero QB help. What do you think he will do with Josh Allen throwing him the ball?

• Like (+1) 1

The one thing I specifically hate about this draft is the “ Drafting for need” feel of it as opposed to BPA, with Coleman appearing to be example 1A.

Character matters but it should not be the overriding concern it seems to be. Drafting for need is a perfect recipe for failure .

I was a bit surprised how many old guys the team drafted. At least 4 draftees will be 25 years old before the season ends. Overall, I have no idea how the draft went. Nobody does really. 

On the surface, I still believe the Bills are weak in a number of areas. Last year I thought the Bills would be 7-10 or worse if it wasn't for Josh Allen. His heroics masked the weaknesses in the team. There is work to be done. 

24 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Samuel put up 600+ yards in offenses with zero QB help. What do you think he will do with Josh Allen throwing him the ball?

He put up 851 yards in Brady's offense in 2020 playing about 60% of the snaps.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Jaylen Waddle

Nico Collins/Tank Dell

Tee Higgins

Stop huffing the copium

Funny for KC you say one of 3 guys.. but the reverse argument for the Bills doesn’t work?? As if Rice is some amazing WR (suspension forthcoming).. Rice is good but Shakir/Samuel are not miles off .. Diggs is not the 2 in Houston?? That will be interesting to see if enough footballs to go around. The Bills WR will be fine simply because like PM and Rice Josh will create a good WR group. Oh without anyone demanding the ball and respect and attention and more $$$ and more attention and more respect…..

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Luka said:

The disrespect to Shorter in this thread is something else. He was Richardson's go to target at Florida. Shakir-like in his ability to convert big 3rd downs. Big frame guy with 4.5 speed, not unlike Coleman. Shorter was the #1 receiver coming out of high school. His big question mark is can he stay healthy. Played through or missed time with injuries every season in college. Wouldn't count on him just being a throw away prospect. 

He should not be counted on. Not sure “injury” was his biggest questions mark.

his biggest question mark was playing time, production , and will he ever develop his great traits. He is the definition of QUESTION MARK. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The one thing I specifically hate about this draft is the “ Drafting for need” feel of it as opposed to BPA, with Coleman appearing to be example 1A.

Character matters but it should not be the overriding concern it seems to be. Drafting for need is a perfect recipe for failure .

The guy was in the top 30-40 on virtually every board .. taking at 33 in a massive reach at a position of need???  

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Logic said:

I'll start by saying that this was far from my favorite Bills draft.

I'm usually Mr Optimistic when it comes to draft classes, but I thought this year's class was just...fine. It was like if you fed Brandon Beane's draft tendencies and the Bills' needs into ChatGPT and asked it to spit out the 2024 Bills draft class. It was completely on brand, it filled the needs we all knew the team had, and it'll probably end up producing a few average players and a couple good ones.

Ho-hum. Nobody in this class makes me stand up and say "that guy's really gonna help the Bills get over the hump and win a title". 

Onto the picks:

1. Keon Coleman - I was not a fan of this pick. For a team whose WR corps needed more speed and separation, this guy made the LEAST sense to me of all the 1st/2nd round WR prospects. Josh Allen has historically thrived with fast, shifty WRs who separate well, and has not clicked with big-bodied guys who struggle with separation. So adding Keon Coleman? It feels like "Square peg, meet round hole". He does have great athleticism and RAC ability for a man his size. He's also young to the position, having played football full time for only two seasons and being only 20 years old. I have concerns about his ability to play X in the NFL, and I'll believe that he's a better fit as a big slot until proven otherwise. Here's hoping I'm wrong about Coleman. The absolute ceiling I see for him is "Solid WR2". Not what I was hoping for in a star studded WR class and with a crying need at the position.

2. Cole Bishop - Looks like he should be just what the doctor ordered at safety for the Bills. He seems to be more Poyer than Hyde, in that he's at his best in the box and playing the run, and he packs a wallop when he tackles. He appears to have untapped man coverage potential, with Dalton Kincaid saying Bishop usually got the better of him 1-on-1 at Utah. He also has freaky speed for the position and a great mental disposition. Should be an easy fit in the Bills' scheme. At the VERY least, I expect him to contribute from day 1 as a dime 'backer, but I'll ultimately be surprised if he doesn't wind up starting at one of the two safety spots by midseason. 

3. Dewayne Carter - Good bull rusher, great motor, tons of experience, impeccable character. Seems like a 1T/3T 'tweener. Quickly apparent from his interviews that he's one of the smartest, most likable, easy to root for guys you'll ever see in the NFL. Should be a quality rotational tackle for the Bills and seems like, in time, he will provide quality leadership and a steadying presence on the D-line. May never be a big play guy, but may at least be a "dirty work" guy who allows others around him to thrive.

4. Ray Davis - Hard running inside guy with great vision, ability to get skinny, contact balance, and underrated breakaway ability. Had the most receiving TDs in 2023 of any SEC running back in 25 years. Should provide a nice change of pace to James Cook without the Bills necessarily losing anything in the pass game when he comes on the field. An older prospect, but I don't care, because he's a running back, and he won't be here past his first contract anyway. Another "likability" and leadership All-Star. Davis should provide steadiness and depth, but doesn't do anything that wows you, and I'm not sure he moves the needle much on offense.

5. Sedrick Van Pran - Tons of starting experience at Georgia. Has some traits reminiscent of Mitch Morse in terms of quickness, twitch, and ability on the move. Stop me if you've heard this one before -- lauded for his leadership. Should provide a good backup plan to Connor McGovern at center and/or provide competition at that position. It will not shock me if this guy is starting by year two. Seems like a great value at this point in the draft. One of my favorite picks.

5. Edufuan Ulofoshio - What do you want me to say? You didn't think the Bills would let a draft pass them by without selecting a late round special teams linebacker, did you? The room is starting to get a bit crowded with Milano, Bernard, Williams, Morrow, Spector, and Ulofoshio. However...the Bills lost ST stalwarts Dodsen, Matakevitch, and Neal, and needed some reinforcements there. That's what Ulo seems to be. I'll be surprised if he ever amounts to more than that, but at this point in the draft, that's what you're getting.

5. Javon Soloman - Undersized speed rusher (though he does have a great wingspan for the position) who had absolutely eye-popping production at Troy, where he out-produced Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyoira. He can be a designated pass rusher and special teams guy and can learn from his idol Von Miller, after whom he says he models his game. Very much a boom/bust prospect, with seemingly equal potential to be the steal of the draft or an outright bust. I liked this pick a lot, and I'm betting on the former over the latter.

6. Tylan Grable - What do you want me to say? Did you think the Bills were gonna let a draft go by without taking a project offensive tackle late? I don't have much to say about this guy. He's just like Tommy Doyle or Luke Tenuta before him: a developmental tackle prospect who's a long shot to make the 53-man roster. With VanDemark and Collins already in place as backup OTs, it's hard to see this guy making the roster.

6. Daequan Hardy - Special teams guy. Standout punt returner and gunner. I usually look to Bills' late round corners with excitement, because they're usually big-bodied guys with zone eyes who only dropped due to underwhelming athleticism. Hardy does not appear to fit that mold. He appears instead to be a punt return candidate and, beyond that, I'm not sure where he'd fit in. His only hope is as a nickel, but the Bills are obviously set there with Taron Johnson.

7. Travis Clayton - At least this one's fun. A guy from the International Pathways program who has never played a down of football in his life. But he's 6'7", 301 lbs and runs a 4.79. The hope is that he turns into the next Jordan Mailata. A fun story and will be fun to track, but obviously a longshot and likely a practice squad guy at best.

Overall, it was clear that leadership, maturity, and experience were high priorities for the Bills this year. Again and again, they picked guys who were team captains and lauded for their leadership abilities. Given all the leadership that walked out the door this offseason, that certainly makes sense. Again and again, they picked guys with lots of starting experience, guys who shined at the Senior Bowl, and guys who have their heads screwed on straight. Given that they will be counting on some of these guys to contribute from day one, and given that they seem to be doing a bit of a locker room reset, this also makes sense. 

The reason that I am ultimately unexcited by this year's draft class is this: I wanted the Bills to prioritize building around Josh Allen. I wanted them to either take a swing for the fences by trading up for a star receiver, or -- failing that -- to go the Packers route and draft a handful of skill position players to surround him with. If they were unable to acquire great quality, then I hoped they would at least acquire quantity. I fear that in choosing Keon Coleman, they may have failed to achieve the "quality" goal, and in refusing to draft any other receivers, they also failed to achieve the "quantity" goal. And Ray Davis is the definition of "uninspiring" at running back. He'll be a fine depth player and grind out tough yards, I'm sure, but he doesn't move the needle much on offense. Neither Coleman nor Davis seem like they upgrade the offense. Just...status quo at best.

In a year where I felt the very TOP priority was to improve on offense, I feel the Bills failed to meaningfully do so. In an offseason where I hoped they'd make a bold move or two to try to find an elite player for this offense, they failed to try. After hearing "Josh needs more weapons" for a couple years running, he now seems to have less. The WR corps seems to have regressed, and seems to lack any true downfield explosiveness or viable deep threat. 

This draft class was not a disaster, by any means. it seems FINE. Just fine. Keon Coleman doesn't scream "Alpha WR1" to me. Ray Davis seems like an average NFL backup. Cole Bishop and Javon Soloman seem to perhaps have playmaking potential on defense. Beyond that -- meh.

When the Bills decided to go young and start a roster reset, I had hope that Beane was gonna try to do things differently, since the old way he was doing things didn't get the Bills over the hump. They've been hitting too man singles and doubles over the years and not enough home runs. Instead, he appears to be doing things exactly the same way this time around. He seems to be content to collect character/culture guys, whose ceiling is "good, solid NFL player", rather than taking any risks or big swings for potential stars. He hasn't really taken those swings, to my estimation, since the Allen/Edmunds class. THAT'S why I'm disappointed in this draft class. It seems fine, solid, steady, and logical, but it doesn't seem like it'll move the needle much.

I will move on to hoping that the post June 1st money infusion brings us a quality veteran receiver and maybe a pass rusher either via free agency or trade. Failing that, it would be hard for me to conclude anything other than that it looks like the Bills are poised to take a step back this year. 2025 looks promising in terms of cap space and draft capital, but if it's gonna continue to be "business as usual" for Brandon Beane, then I'm not sure how excited I should allow myself to get for that. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Another take separate from

Reality mixes up 

what he wanted done with what could be done. 
Dont surround JA? Kincaid Shakir Cook Coleman Davis. He traded a first for Diggs. If Diggs didn’t go stage 4 cancer…Cyrus plus other Oline guys

Dont swing for the fences? JA, VM …one home run, one whiff that cost the team dearly…That’s why you don’t swing for the fences too often in FA

WR corp? Gabe’s hands turned to stone, Diggs disappeared, and they still scored enough points to beat the chiefs…maybe 17 has more to do with a wr corp being good…what was KC wr corp last year?

Singles and doubles? What does that even mean? You make it sound like BB doesn’t choose the best eventual player at the position deferring to leadership…what do you think Coleman is…a pick with upside…he is trying to hit a triple with that pick when he looked at other options and saw Singles and doubles

Free Agency? This year is cap hell …Von Miller rolled the dice and lost…Can’t do anything 

Right on Logic - This is draft literally defines "sustainability", that's what's important to Bean. He will never mortgage the farm at a Superbowl run and we will are ending up with the next Philip Rivers. Starting to feel like I did back in the 90's, the more things change the more they stay the same, just like back in those days, if the Bills had a Parcels or Johnson or Gibbs, how many Lombardi's are at One Bills drive? 

If you find yourself saying right now, with all the talent on the field, if we had a Belichick or Reid.... that will probably answer your questions about how to feel about McD. His coaching is defense, he wants to win like that combining with a ground and pound run game circa 1989. Problem is, he has one of the greatest at the wheel, and the only time we really get to see that, and if you think about, you know it's true, is when none of that working. Then we release the hounds and que up sugar rush Allen for the win. 

Just a note - the QB makes the receiver great, just look at Hill w/ Tua as opposed to Mahomes - or Walker with Brady and so on. Losing DIggs, whose production became #2 at best last 8 games and disappearing every year in the playoffs got old. I think, at the very least, with all the drops last year, maybe they are just looking for guys to just catch the ball? 

and for all those peeps that judge receivers on how fast hey run I'll leave this: " I'm always fastest guy on the field, because I know where I'm going" ...Jerry RIce

Edited by ren1701
Spelling
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

The guy was in the top 30-40 on virtually every board .. taking at 33 in a massive reach at a position on need???  

But was he a better pick than McConkey, Mitchell, Worthey or Legette?

Opinion, yes but most of what I saw pre draft had all of them ranked higher. No one on this board was calling for Coleman and it seems the character thing came into serious play.  Maybe in Mitchell’s case that is cool but the nice guy isn’t necessarily the best guy.

5 hours ago, Luka said:

The disrespect to Shorter in this thread is something else. He was Richardson's go to target at Florida. Shakir-like in his ability to convert big 3rd downs. Big frame guy with 4.5 speed, not unlike Coleman. Shorter was the #1 receiver coming out of high school. His big question mark is can he stay healthy. Played through or missed time with injuries every season in college. Wouldn't count on him just being a throw away prospect. 

Coleman wasn't my preference at receiver but all reports say he was Josh's choice at receiver so nothing else really needs to be said about the pick. I'm sure most people have seen the graphic of his 40 time paired with all of his other drill times, in which he was at the top of the charts in most of them. Not everyone is a sprinter. I'd rather have the guy that's quick out of his break at the top of a route than a guy who's quick out of the blocks.

It's also something to note, all the small fast guys in Buffalo haven't worked out. McKenzie was the most notable and he was a gadget guy. 

Coleman, Davis and Pran-Granger all have a physicality to their game and I think that was the underlying theme of this draft on offense. Get tougher. Get more physical. Your star QB can't be the only guy willing to hurdle or stiff arm a guy for a first down. 

Shortest big problem coming into college was that he didn’t really know how to play football, and almost no natural instinct for the position.  An elite athlete that needed a lot of time and was still fairly rudimentary when he came out 

19 hours ago, Logic said:

I'll start by saying that this was far from my favorite Bills draft.

I'm usually Mr Optimistic when it comes to draft classes, but I thought this year's class was just...fine. It was like if you fed Brandon Beane's draft tendencies and the Bills' needs into ChatGPT and asked it to spit out the 2024 Bills draft class. It was completely on brand, it filled the needs we all knew the team had, and it'll probably end up producing a few average players and a couple good ones.

Ho-hum. Nobody in this class makes me stand up and say "that guy's really gonna help the Bills get over the hump and win a title". 

Onto the picks:

1. Keon Coleman - I was not a fan of this pick. For a team whose WR corps needed more speed and separation, this guy made the LEAST sense to me of all the 1st/2nd round WR prospects. Josh Allen has historically thrived with fast, shifty WRs who separate well, and has not clicked with big-bodied guys who struggle with separation. So adding Keon Coleman? It feels like "Square peg, meet round hole". He does have great athleticism and RAC ability for a man his size. He's also young to the position, having played football full time for only two seasons and being only 20 years old. I have concerns about his ability to play X in the NFL, and I'll believe that he's a better fit as a big slot until proven otherwise. Here's hoping I'm wrong about Coleman. The absolute ceiling I see for him is "Solid WR2". Not what I was hoping for in a star studded WR class and with a crying need at the position.

2. Cole Bishop - Looks like he should be just what the doctor ordered at safety for the Bills. He seems to be more Poyer than Hyde, in that he's at his best in the box and playing the run, and he packs a wallop when he tackles. He appears to have untapped man coverage potential, with Dalton Kincaid saying Bishop usually got the better of him 1-on-1 at Utah. He also has freaky speed for the position and a great mental disposition. Should be an easy fit in the Bills' scheme. At the VERY least, I expect him to contribute from day 1 as a dime 'backer, but I'll ultimately be surprised if he doesn't wind up starting at one of the two safety spots by midseason. 

3. Dewayne Carter - Good bull rusher, great motor, tons of experience, impeccable character. Seems like a 1T/3T 'tweener. Quickly apparent from his interviews that he's one of the smartest, most likable, easy to root for guys you'll ever see in the NFL. Should be a quality rotational tackle for the Bills and seems like, in time, he will provide quality leadership and a steadying presence on the D-line. May never be a big play guy, but may at least be a "dirty work" guy who allows others around him to thrive.

4. Ray Davis - Hard running inside guy with great vision, ability to get skinny, contact balance, and underrated breakaway ability. Had the most receiving TDs in 2023 of any SEC running back in 25 years. Should provide a nice change of pace to James Cook without the Bills necessarily losing anything in the pass game when he comes on the field. An older prospect, but I don't care, because he's a running back, and he won't be here past his first contract anyway. Another "likability" and leadership All-Star. Davis should provide steadiness and depth, but doesn't do anything that wows you, and I'm not sure he moves the needle much on offense.

5. Sedrick Van Pran - Tons of starting experience at Georgia. Has some traits reminiscent of Mitch Morse in terms of quickness, twitch, and ability on the move. Stop me if you've heard this one before -- lauded for his leadership. Should provide a good backup plan to Connor McGovern at center and/or provide competition at that position. It will not shock me if this guy is starting by year two. Seems like a great value at this point in the draft. One of my favorite picks.

5. Edufuan Ulofoshio - What do you want me to say? You didn't think the Bills would let a draft pass them by without selecting a late round special teams linebacker, did you? The room is starting to get a bit crowded with Milano, Bernard, Williams, Morrow, Spector, and Ulofoshio. However...the Bills lost ST stalwarts Dodsen, Matakevitch, and Neal, and needed some reinforcements there. That's what Ulo seems to be. I'll be surprised if he ever amounts to more than that, but at this point in the draft, that's what you're getting.

5. Javon Soloman - Undersized speed rusher (though he does have a great wingspan for the position) who had absolutely eye-popping production at Troy, where he out-produced Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyoira. He can be a designated pass rusher and special teams guy and can learn from his idol Von Miller, after whom he says he models his game. Very much a boom/bust prospect, with seemingly equal potential to be the steal of the draft or an outright bust. I liked this pick a lot, and I'm betting on the former over the latter.

6. Tylan Grable - What do you want me to say? Did you think the Bills were gonna let a draft go by without taking a project offensive tackle late? I don't have much to say about this guy. He's just like Tommy Doyle or Luke Tenuta before him: a developmental tackle prospect who's a long shot to make the 53-man roster. With VanDemark and Collins already in place as backup OTs, it's hard to see this guy making the roster.

6. Daequan Hardy - Special teams guy. Standout punt returner and gunner. I usually look to Bills' late round corners with excitement, because they're usually big-bodied guys with zone eyes who only dropped due to underwhelming athleticism. Hardy does not appear to fit that mold. He appears instead to be a punt return candidate and, beyond that, I'm not sure where he'd fit in. His only hope is as a nickel, but the Bills are obviously set there with Taron Johnson.

7. Travis Clayton - At least this one's fun. A guy from the International Pathways program who has never played a down of football in his life. But he's 6'7", 301 lbs and runs a 4.79. The hope is that he turns into the next Jordan Mailata. A fun story and will be fun to track, but obviously a longshot and likely a practice squad guy at best.

Overall, it was clear that leadership, maturity, and experience were high priorities for the Bills this year. Again and again, they picked guys who were team captains and lauded for their leadership abilities. Given all the leadership that walked out the door this offseason, that certainly makes sense. Again and again, they picked guys with lots of starting experience, guys who shined at the Senior Bowl, and guys who have their heads screwed on straight. Given that they will be counting on some of these guys to contribute from day one, and given that they seem to be doing a bit of a locker room reset, this also makes sense. 

The reason that I am ultimately unexcited by this year's draft class is this: I wanted the Bills to prioritize building around Josh Allen. I wanted them to either take a swing for the fences by trading up for a star receiver, or -- failing that -- to go the Packers route and draft a handful of skill position players to surround him with. If they were unable to acquire great quality, then I hoped they would at least acquire quantity. I fear that in choosing Keon Coleman, they may have failed to achieve the "quality" goal, and in refusing to draft any other receivers, they also failed to achieve the "quantity" goal. And Ray Davis is the definition of "uninspiring" at running back. He'll be a fine depth player and grind out tough yards, I'm sure, but he doesn't move the needle much on offense. Neither Coleman nor Davis seem like they upgrade the offense. Just...status quo at best.

In a year where I felt the very TOP priority was to improve on offense, I feel the Bills failed to meaningfully do so. In an offseason where I hoped they'd make a bold move or two to try to find an elite player for this offense, they failed to try. After hearing "Josh needs more weapons" for a couple years running, he now seems to have less. The WR corps seems to have regressed, and seems to lack any true downfield explosiveness or viable deep threat. 

This draft class was not a disaster, by any means. it seems FINE. Just fine. Keon Coleman doesn't scream "Alpha WR1" to me. Ray Davis seems like an average NFL backup. Cole Bishop and Javon Soloman seem to perhaps have playmaking potential on defense. Beyond that -- meh.

When the Bills decided to go young and start a roster reset, I had hope that Beane was gonna try to do things differently, since the old way he was doing things didn't get the Bills over the hump. They've been hitting too man singles and doubles over the years and not enough home runs. Instead, he appears to be doing things exactly the same way this time around. He seems to be content to collect character/culture guys, whose ceiling is "good, solid NFL player", rather than taking any risks or big swings for potential stars. He hasn't really taken those swings, to my estimation, since the Allen/Edmunds class. THAT'S why I'm disappointed in this draft class. It seems fine, solid, steady, and logical, but it doesn't seem like it'll move the needle much.

I will move on to hoping that the post June 1st money infusion brings us a quality veteran receiver and maybe a pass rusher either via free agency or trade. Failing that, it would be hard for me to conclude anything other than that it looks like the Bills are poised to take a step back this year. 2025 looks promising in terms of cap space and draft capital, but if it's gonna continue to be "business as usual" for Brandon Beane, then I'm not sure how excited I should allow myself to get for that. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In regards to Josh preferring small shifty receivers, has he ever really had a legit big bodied outside WR to work with in his career? I don’t think he prefers small guys, they’re just easier to find than a legit big, physical X receiver. Kelvin Benjamin was the closest he got, but he was washed by the time he got to Buffalo. I actually think w/ Allen’s playing style, he would benefit greatly from a big guy to chuck the ball up to and high point it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On the contrary, the Bills did a superb job of building this team around Allen in this draft.  One of the best, if not the best, in the Allen era, and it may very well go down in history as such:

--They got what they considered the best receiver for Allen and the Bills, as Allen himself said--he got the receiver he wanted.  That, to me, eliminates my concerns with Coleman. I believe the Bills and Allen know much more about him, and the kind of fit he will be for the Bills, than any media personality and me.

--They got one of the best running backs in the draft, a great compliment to Cook, a MJD type player who runs hard, and like a bowling ball, catches it very well, and is the kind of tough, physical runner the Bills need as they continue their quest to be one of the best running teams in the NFL.  And one of the most physical.

--At first I had thought they likely got their center for the future in the 5th round, or a possible center, one they would try to develop into a starter.  BUT then I read more and more about Granger and one analysis after another thought this guy was ready to start from day one. If that happens, and he is good, look out...

--And finally, they acquired two late round tackles to develop for the O-Line.

A starting caliber wideout, running back, and center, and this from a team that had a wave of departures on defense.  Hard to believe anyone would disagree that the Bills continued to be very focused on improving Allen's supporting cast for the 2022 season.  If those picks alone pan out this will be one of the best NFL drafts this year.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 3