Rd 5, Pick 141: C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Mcgovern played center in college.. and has NFL starting experience on the line 

It's going to be next to impossible.. for him to beat him out this year.. unless they want McGovern back at guard

He's a great option to groom

Bills are listing him as a C/G

Could he compete with Edwards at LG and groom at Center?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If he's not starting one day one, whether he makes the team or not depends on his ability to play some amount of guard. They can't keep a #2 center only player. There's no roster space for it. 

This would be a reason he dropped. If you're taking this player you need to believe he's better than your current center. If he's not, or it's close, you are going in another direction.

You want this kid to start and shove McGovern back to guard.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Beane said they like him at both G/C which leads me to think he’s gonna push Edwards for a starting so spot 

53 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Certainly possible... He's going to have to improve his technique to have significant reps at guard and his core strength will be tested alot more at guard

You can mask it a bit at center but you're going to have very tough matchups at guard 1on1... And he doesn't have the greatest Length mass or core strength for the spot 

He certainly can become a starting center with some seasoning... And It won't hurt to see how he can play at guard but his Length and habit of sometimes reaching would have to be corrected as well as getting a stronger core and bulking a bit

With his lack of length.. and not the biggest size... He certainly is built for center but it wouldn't hurt to see 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Shakir also fell due to short arms. Our college personnel department tracks short arms. 

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Must be one of those traits McDermott and Beane look for 

You know who else has short arms?

jurassic park dinosaur GIF

Coincidence I think not.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Am I getting this right? For the low, low, low price (actual cost: zero) of flipping picks with Carolina, the Bills received a cheap and cost-controlled highly experienced center from the best team in the country who may well start from day one. 

Didn't the Kelce retire this offseason, where the hell were the Eagles on a Georgia Center?

• Haha (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

One pundit said that he was the best shotgun snapper he had ever seen - for what that is worth.

That pundit? Was me. I fabricated it, whole cloth. I did it for clicks and fame but got neither. You are the first person to quote it. Honesty is important to me.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

One of the reasons he dropped is he is pretty much limited to Center. I think we're a much stronger unit if he ends up able to start, with McGovern back at guard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Why is he limited to Center? Isn’t OG easier to play?

He has very short arms, and while powerful, limited athleticism. He's an absolute warrior. I think he could be your starting Center for a decade, but I don't see him as a guard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

If Van Pran starts for the Bills it will be at C.  He played C at UGA and is excellent at the shotgun snap.  If Edwards falters or the McGovern at C experiment fails, the Bills will move McGovern to G, Edwards to the bench and Van Pran to center.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

My man, I always feel better about the universe when we agree.

I can’t recall any instances in which I didn’t agree with one of your takes 👍🏻 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

One of the reasons he dropped is he is pretty much limited to Center. I think we're a much stronger unit if he ends up able to start, with McGovern back at guard.

Yup.  We got Torrence, a RD1 talent in RD2 due to lack of position flex.   Similar story for Van Pran, who has been pegged as a late Day 2 talent. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Why is he limited to Center? Isn’t OG easier to play?

No center is physically the easiest to play... It's mentally rougher

They have the least amount of 1on1 blocks and there aren't a lot of pure 0 techs giving them hell 80% of snaps

They are mostly combo blocking and getting to second level 

Guards need to be bigger and better blockers now 

• Like (+1) 1