Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

I have to assume that most of the people roasting our receiver talent did not watch the last 8 games of last year when we went on our winning streak. Our offense did not run through Diggs, it ran through Josh and then through Cook, then through Shakir. Diggs was able to be jettisoned because they have a plan to have Josh play like the GB offense last year, everyone is involved. We likely won't have a 1000 yard receiver this year, but we might have 4 guys with 700. 

I'm buying all of this.  Shakir might have a sneaky 1,000 yard season but it would be more like Beasley's 2020 season than any of Diggs seasons.  Kincaid leads in catches and Shakir in yards and possibly a healthy Knox is back catching TD's.  Hopefully Coleman is Gabe Davis with better consistency week to week.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Good point.  Looks a lot like Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua, and Demarcus Robinson, before they became a deadly combination.  Or St. Brown, Reynolds, LaPorta, and Raymond. Kelce, Rice, Valdez-Scantling, Watson.  The style of offense these teams are playing, and getting good production in the passing game, is not dependent of big name receivers.   It's a style that repeatedly leverages the defense in ways that allow good athletes to get open.  Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, and Kincaid are good athletes and they will get open.  

I approve of this post.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Kupp, St. Brown and Kelce were proven commodities as #1 receiving options. Putting complimentary pieces around those players at least has some logic to it. 

We're putting all of our hopes in Shakir and Kincaid taking big steps forward and for Coleman to have a big rookie year. 

Samuel and Knox and Cook say hello

even that other WR Bills already have 🙂

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I have to assume that most of the people roasting our receiver talent did not watch the last 8 games of last year when we went on our winning streak. Our offense did not run through Diggs, it ran through Josh and then through Cook, then through Shakir. Diggs was able to be jettisoned because they have a plan to have Josh play like the GB offense last year, everyone is involved. We likely won't have a 1000 yard receiver this year, but we might have 4 guys with 700. 

My son and I were just talking about this - it's not about replacing Diggs or Davis or finding a "true #1" - it's about having all kinds of options and the QB finding them.  We literally were saying the same thing to each other - we could have no guys over 1000 but 4 guys with 800 yds.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The kid seems to have the right attitude. Loved his presser too. 🤣

I think it'll all be in how they use him - without the speed, how do you scheme him up to highpoint some balls on the sidelines? Which, BTW seems like like an Allen special, after breaking contain. 💨

It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens when the games start. How DOES this kid work out despite all of the opinions? Let's hope he and Josh get together, get that relationship going, start getting work in - I'm rooting for him! :beer: 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When Puka Nacua joined the Rams, Cooper Kupp already had a 1900 yard season in the NFL and a SB MVP.

When Sam LaPorta joined the Lions, St. Brown had over 2k yards and 11 TD’s through two seasons.

When Rice joined the Chiefs, Travis Kelce was already a surefire HoFer, a two time champion, and probably the best TE of all time.

When Keon Coleman joined the Bills, Shakir had 611 yards and 2 TD’s. Curtis Samuel also was coming off 600+ yards. Kincaid was coming off 600+ yards.

are we getting punk’d?

What ever would Nacua have done without Kupp around?  

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I approve of this post.

Samuel and Knox and Cook say hello

even that other WR Bills already have 🙂

Our other complimentary players say hello? You think defenses are worrying about Samuel or Knox?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh?

Outside of leading the league in receiving I guess.  Might be the scheme and not Kupp.  Kupp was out the first month Nacua was the offense.

Edited by Maine-iac

13 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Outside of leading the league in receiving I guess.  Might be the scheme and not Kupp.  Kupp was out the first month Nacua was the offense.

The point I was responding to was inferring the 2023 Rams receiving core was as unheralded as the 2024 Bills. Which is not true. Not sure what point you’re making. 

40 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

our offense can’t run through Josh for 20 games. He won’t make it.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, stevewin said:

My son and I were just talking about this - it's not about replacing Diggs or Davis or finding a "true #1" - it's about having all kinds of options and the QB finding them.  We literally were saying the same thing to each other - we could have no guys over 1000 but 4 guys with 800 yds.

I’m in this camp too. We tried the “true #1” thing. It didn’t work. Allen was forcing it to Diggs until Brady came in and spread it around/focused on the run. It can’t be understated how important it will be for Josh not to have that pressure on him. 

The old pats* teams killed you with a variety of interchangeable pass catchers, not necessarily WRs. I’m excited to see how the new offense is going to look. What we were doing wasn’t going to get it done. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

When Puka Nacua joined the Rams, Cooper Kupp already had a 1900 yard season in the NFL and a SB MVP.

When Sam LaPorta joined the Lions, St. Brown had over 2k yards and 11 TD’s through two seasons.

When Rice joined the Chiefs, Travis Kelce was already a surefire HoFer, a two time champion, and probably the best TE of all time.

When Keon Coleman joined the Bills, Shakir had 611 yards and 2 TD’s. Curtis Samuel also was coming off 600+ yards. Kincaid was coming off 600+ yards.

are we getting punk’d?

Wasn't Nacua putting up numbers when Kupp was out injured?

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Kupp, St. Brown and Kelce were proven commodities as #1 receiving options. Putting complimentary pieces around those players at least has some logic to it. 

We're putting all of our hopes in Shakir and Kincaid taking big steps forward and for Coleman to have a big rookie year. 

I mean that’s what you do with 1st round picks you expect them to take steps. If Kincaid didn’t take a step with Diggs we would have been in trouble. Coleman would have been a first rounder if we didn’t trade down. The idea was we never gave Allen legit high draft weapons. He now has two essential 1st round picks to throw to and we might give him another high end one next year whether in the first or second 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Our other complimentary players say hello? You think defenses are worrying about Samuel or Knox?

I consider a different perspective

All these guys can catch footballs and run.

It appears to me thats this will be a committee based Offense under Brady at this point. Just makes sense considering how they picked.

And yea

Defenses will have to plan against a number of threats this season

Its not like Diggs was getting doubled late last year.

The more the merrier

It will be up to Josh and Brady to find the holes and exploit.

But yea plenty of targets and ways to get the ball downfield !

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

our offense can’t run through Josh for 20 games. He won’t make it.

Shouldn't need to

That's on Brady to help scheme and plan. I have a tinch of faith here in that 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The point I was responding to was inferring the 2023 Rams receiving core was as unheralded as the 2024 Bills. Which is not true. Not sure what point you’re making. 

I was under the impression Shaw was saying the scheme would get guys open (because that's what he said) and you were saying those other teams had star athletes and that's what everything was built around.  In NE, KC, or on the Rams the offense will move on whether it's Kupp, Welker, Rice, Edelman, Nacua, or Tyreek.  Given our offense played well down the stretch and Shakir was our best WR over that period I'm not feeling down on the offense.  

The talent is still there. If this team were coached by someone like Mike Tomlin or Sean Payton, everyone would be suggesting they're a tough team and will make a SB run. But because we lack the weapons with superstar auras like OBJ or Tyreek, the overall team gets discounted.

McDermott needs to find a way to win NOW and lack of talent is no excuse. Let's see if the receivers room can stun the football world.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

4 hours ago, Estro said:

I've got to put it down on record so I'm going to post here. 

Despite trying to get optimistic about the Keon Coleman pick, I've gotta go with my gut and how I felt about him prior to the Bills selecting him. I don't think he'll end up being a good WR in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong, and maybe I will be.  Maybe his opportunity in Buffalo coupled with getting to play with a great QB will help him tip the scales and he'll become a productive WR for the Bills.........but I'm just not optimistic at all.

Listen to any of the smarter guys who breakdown these prospects, whether its Greg Cosell, Matt Harmon of reception perception, or most of the guys over at PFF and they don't like the prospect. Now does that Mena they'll be right? No it doesnt, but there is a lot of evidence that guys like Keon Coleman don't pan out in the NFL.

After watching everyone of his targets this past season I cam away very underwhelmed. I didn't see a guy worth of the #33 pick. I don't think he catches the ball particularly well in traffic and for a guy that's not fast and will be covered a lot that's concerning. I also saw blvery little burst. On a lot of his receptions near the line fo scrimmage he was easily tackled by the defense and showed very little wiggle or ability to hit it north/south quickly. 

I'm very curious what thr plan will be for Coleman because guys like Matt Harmon thought any chance he'd have at success would be with a move to the slot. Similar to how Marques Colston played for the Saints.. But it seems the Bils think hes an X receiver.

Time shall tell, hope I'm wrong

That’s what I came away with. He’s a big slot in the nfl. If you put him on the boundary only. Youll

end up with another Gabe Davis production / consistency. Which is fine.

But we need a legit wr1 after next draft. They get one more year

18 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I was under the impression Shaw was saying the scheme would get guys open (because that's what he said) and you were saying those other teams had star athletes and that's what everything was built around.  In NE, KC, or on the Rams the offense will move on whether it's Kupp, Welker, Rice, Edelman, Nacua, or Tyreek.  Given our offense played well down the stretch and Shakir was our best WR over that period I'm not feeling down on the offense.  

Cooper Kupp was a solid WR for years and then exploded as a triple crown winner with Stafford at QB. Then he battled some injuries and they brought in Nakua and he did great. 

thats a far different situation than adding Coleman and Samuel to Shakir. 

KC’s offense has been fine because Mahomes is great, but their offense is far less potent since trading Hill. Conversely, Miami’s offense exploded after adding Hill to pair with Waddle.

It’s the talent. And we don’t have much proof we have it. Which was the point. 

• Like (+1) 1