Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I teach physiology and actually with training you can gain some conversion of slow twitch to fast twitch fibers and vice versa.  But coaching will help him clear defenses when getting off the lOS, for example.  How to shield guys when the ball is in the air.  And so on.

My experience has been mostly vice versa, unfortunately.   😢 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

He didn't catch almost every ball thrown to him. His catch percentage was only 57% last season. 

When you watch all targets, you'll notice that he has a defender draped all over him on a ton of plays knocking the ball away. 

If that's what you got out of that footage, then you don't know what your watching.

For starters...the majority of his targets were screen passes to get the ball in his hands immediately. 

Secondly, in numerous targets the QB would just throw the ball up for him even when he was covered by multiple defenders or he wasn't the intended target. He was often used as a bailout by the QB because he wins matchups/jump balls often.

Thirdly, he had guys beat multiple times and he either got past them and wasn't caught, or they held/grabbed him and he drew a penalty flag. 

Watching his footage tells me a few things. One is that Coleman was the focal point of their offense and teams regarded him as such. That means he is already accustomed to the role of top dog that draws attention. Next is that Jordan Travis is not impressive as a passer. He made numerous bad throws to Coleman, and he relied on Coleman to bail him out way too much. His backup did Coleman little favors as well which explains the dip in numbers after Travis went down. Third is that teams respect Colemans ability to hurt them in all phases. He can take screen passes and turn them into big plays...he runs good slants and can also turn those into big plays, and he can get deep and beat you there as well.

If Brady uses this guy right, and runs this offense like it's supposed to be with Josh making quick decisions and hitting whoever is open, then Coleman will be a weapon.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

If that's what you got out of that footage, then you don't know what your watching.

For starters...the majority of his targets were screen passes to get the ball in his hands immediately. 

Secondly, in numerous targets the QB would just throw the ball up for him even when he was covered by multiple defenders or he wasn't the intended target. He was often used as a bailout by the QB because he wins matchups/jump balls often.

Thirdly, he had guys beat multiple times and he either got past them and wasn't caught, or they held/grabbed him and he drew a penalty flag. 

Watching his footage tells me a few things. One is that Coleman was the focal point of their offense and teams regarded him as such. That means he is already accustomed to the role of top dog that draws attention. Next is that Jordan Travis is not impressive as a passer. He made numerous bad throws to Coleman, and he relied on Coleman to bail him out way too much. His backup did Coleman little favors as well which explains the dip in numbers after Travis went down. Third is that teams respect Colemans ability to hurt them in all phases. He can take screen passes and turn them into big plays...he runs good slants and can also turn those into big plays, and he can get deep and beat you there as well.

If Brady uses this guy right, and runs this offense like it's supposed to be with Josh making quick decisions and hitting whoever is open, then Coleman will be a weapon.

Yeah like half way through it and there's like maybe 3 that got to his hands so far and still 1 of them you'd like him to catch but was clearly behind him in an awkward position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Compare Keon Coleman to Tee Higgins and feel better. Higgins had a slightly faster 40 (4.59 to 4.61) but Coleman had a superior 10 yard split (1.54 vs 1.66).

Colemans 1.54 10 yard split was actually in the 68th percentile among all the WRs in the draft. 

We have multiple burners on this roster, but we have lacked the big, physical WR with some athletic ability for years. 

I thought we needed one last year for sure.  

44 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Compare Keon Coleman to Tee Higgins and feel better. Higgins had a slightly faster 40 (4.59 to 4.61) but Coleman had a superior 10 yard split (1.54 vs 1.66).

Colemans 1.54 10 yard split was actually in the 68th percentile among all the WRs in the draft. 

We have multiple burners on this roster, but we have lacked the big, physical WR with some athletic ability for years. 

The reason Higgins lasted till he did was his 40 time, and the same is true with Coleman.

He has exceeded his draft status, and if you did a redraft he would be a first rounder.

The same thing could be the case with our guy here

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

There’s a reason Coleman didn’t do any of the agility drills and Kupp faired well in them 

Yet he was returning punts and shows plenty of agility on film. The guy was a highly regarded basketball player.

I know it's not a stat but watching Coleman run and catch at the combine makes me think an NFL coordinator can use that to create catches.  I don't think he's going to just run by anyone but if teams are playing shell coverage the way Coleman was running and catching on the run makes me think he'll be like Gabe down the field but with more upside running across the field underneath.  Like many have said we'll have to wait and see but at least they addressed the WR position. 

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 3

I am still on the fence about this kid.  He has potential but every single team we play will have faster CB's and LB's covering this guy.  I was not impressed with his short underneath catches behind or near the LOS, and what happened to him after he caught the ball.  He just does not have the immediate speed to kick it into high gear.  He seems slow react in all of those catches.  He was tackled almost immediately did not even get to the first down marker.  That it not a good sign going into this season where everything is going to be coming at him much faster.  I just don't know if this guy will be able to play at the speed the NFL is going to throw at him.

Maybe I am wrong,  but this guy is at best a 50/50 shot if he makes it as a starter this year.  I just don't know if he was the smart pick with all the talent we left on the draft board this year.

We have to wait and see what the Swami says....

r169540_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Edited by Toyo321
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Keon is never going to get separation, he just won't.  He isn't twitchy enough to do so.  He won't be able to learn it and it's not coming with more reps.  It's never going to be there.

I woke up this morning knowing I'd be arguing with this idea.   I think "getting separation" is way, way over-rated.  

Let's start with the obvious:  Yes, it's great to a have a receiver who can get open off the line of scrimmage, but the truth is there are very few of those guys, and most of them are slot receivers.   Those are the guys who operate in close quarters and use quickness and change of direction to create quick separation.   And yes, there are some wideouts who get better releases off the line than others.  But I'd say there are fewer than 10 wideouts in the league who actually can consistently get separation.  The defensive backs in the NFL are too good - if they can stay reasonably attached to even the best receivers, they aren't playing.  

To a great extent, separation comes scheming:  formation, motion, route design, and options.  Most of the completions we see are throws to receivers who are open because the defender has been put in a difficult position with the scheme.  Defenders can't position themselves to handle both in-cuts and out-cuts.  Zones all have weak spots - often those weak spots are created by the routes.  

The Bills' passing game is going to be all about creating those kinds of challenges for defenses.  Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel all are run-after-catch guys.  Cook, too, and now Davis, too. 

The receivers seem like a good collection zone busters, so I'd expect the Bills will see a lot of man.  The Bills will counter with a lot stacked formations - trips wide, trips tight, with plenty of motions and rubs.  Bills have been notoriously bad at screens, and at at wide receiver screens.  I think that will change.  Shakir, Coleman, and Samuel all are serious ball-carrying threats - two of them are punt returners.  

Coleman is going to be a nice addition to the group.   I think people need to start getting used to seeing some outstanding athletic plays out of him.   That's what he's going to bring, and the Bills will find plenty of ways to get him the ball. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 hours ago, balln said:

if the bills keep him as a big body outside wr. He’s going to give a Gabe Davis like production. Which is to say he might have a big game or two. But he may go 3-4 weeks with 0-1 catches …. Be a blocker on the outside 

it is what it is folks

This quote brought to you by the future

2 hours ago, Mango said:

For anybody who hasn’t seen it it is both hilarious and wonderful. What a great kid. 

Would have been great to have both him and Tre in the locker room together. 

Maybe Tre shows he can overcome his injuries and comes home next year??? That's my dream. That's how I live 😆

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

The more I watch of Keon Coleman, especially his Michigan State tape, the more I see Tee Higgins. 

I think Coleman has more wiggle and can be more effective in short areas like screens and slants, but I do see some similarities 

Reminds me a bit of Anquan Boldin (former Bills legend). Not a burner, but shifty feet and can make you miss. And the dude can body you and out muscle you on those jump balls. Actually maybe perfect type receiver on those backyard type plays when Josh runs around and heaves those long 50/50 balls. The kind that Diggs drops or that Gabe Davis wouldn't fight back to the ball for. You know Josh will be looking downfield for him when things break down. 

Also his run blocking cannot be slept on. One of the top run blocking WR in the class. I think Joe Brady is going to instill a dynamic running game, hence taking Ray Davis and Van Pran-Granger back to back. I also think we'll see a good amount of Curtis Samuel on some sweeps. I'm starting to like this pick a lot more, the more I think about it.

Edited by Bookie Man
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

For anybody who hasn’t seen it it is both hilarious and wonderful. What a great kid. 

Would have been great to have both him and Tre in the locker room together. 

I said the following in another thread and this video seems to confirm my thinking:

”My new pet theory about why Josh wanted him so much: Allen has so many off-schedule, improvisational plays given his uncanny ability to escape the rush, and having a guy you can throw it to downfield after everything breaks down and expect that he’ll snag it over whatever DB is covering him is a huge asset to his game (and to the Bills’ offense). He has vice-like hands (watch the cover one analysis) and is incredible above the rim, so to speak.”

Coleman talks at length about the scramble drill and the importance of being an absolute dog when the play breaks down. That is something the Bills really did NOT have (Davis was not good at it, and Diggs’ effort on such plays was clearly declining), so I can absolutely see Allen wanting a receiver who excels in that sort of situation. And let’s face it: when Josh Allen is the qb, the improvised, off-schedule play is one of the Bills’ most common plays.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1