OJ Simpson dead at 76

Bigvinny

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

not sure what you're looking for

You asked if I've ever sat on a jury and i responded "yes" i have......and i guess that's the end of that.

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I saw them all play. Brown & Simpson impacted their teams chances to win. Sanders was just a highlight reel. ‘Lions lose again, but ya gotta see what Barry did”

When I watched Barry Sanders play, it was clear to me that he was a significantly better RB than Emmitt Smith. The stats bear that out. Sanders averaged 5 yards per carry, versus 4.2 for Smith, and 4.2 for Thurman Thomas. Barry Sanders was the best RB of his time. Putting the blame for a team's losses at the feet of its first ballot Hall of Fame RB is an atypical approach to analyzing a team's W/L record. When I think about why Detroit didn't win more games, the first thought which comes to my mind is that their QB was Scott Mitchell. Also, the NFC East teams were brutally tough back then, making it difficult for other teams to go very far in the playoffs.

Comparing Barry Sanders to OJ Simpson: Simpson averaged 4.7 yards per attempt. That's better than the 4.2 for Thomas or Emmitt Smith, but not as good as the 5.0 for Barry Sanders. Simpson had five 1000 yard seasons, compared to ten such seasons for Sanders. Adjusting for the 14 game season doesn't help Simpson here: it's still five for him, ten for Sanders. Longevity clearly favors Sanders over Simpson. But what if you threw that out, and just looked at the two best seasons for both RBs? (Including Simpson's 2000 yard season)?

Simpson's two best years: 1973, 1975

Sander's two best years: 1997, 1994

Total rushing yards for their two best seasons

Simpson: 2003, 1817

Sanders: 2053, 1883

Yards per game (two best seasons)

Simpson: 143, 130

Sanders: 128, 118

Yards per carry (two best seasons)

Simpson: 6.0, 5.5

Sanders: 6.1, 5.7

If you looked just at each RB's two best seasons, which one did the better job? Sanders was a little better in terms of yards per carry. Simpson got a few more carries per game, and therefore had a few more yards per game.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

When I watched Barry Sanders play, it was clear to me that he was a significantly better RB than Emmitt Smith. The stats bear that out. Sanders averaged 5 yards per carry, versus 4.2 for Smith, and 4.2 for Thurman Thomas. Barry Sanders was the best RB of his time. Putting the blame for a team's losses at the feet of its first ballot Hall of Fame RB is an atypical approach to analyzing a team's W/L record. When I think about why Detroit didn't win more games, the first thought which comes to my mind is that their QB was Scott Mitchell. Also, the NFC East teams were brutally tough back then, making it difficult for other teams to go very far in the playoffs.

Comparing Barry Sanders to OJ Simpson: Simpson averaged 4.7 yards per attempt. That's better than the 4.2 for Thomas or Emmitt Smith, but not as good as the 5.0 for Barry Sanders. Simpson had five 1000 yard seasons, compared to ten such seasons for Sanders. Adjusting for the 14 game season doesn't help Simpson here: it's still five for him, ten for Sanders. Longevity clearly favors Sanders over Simpson. But what if you threw that out, and just looked at the two best seasons for both RBs? (Including Simpson's 2000 yard season)?

Simpson's two best years: 1973, 1975

Sander's two best years: 1997, 1994

Total rushing yards for their two best seasons

Simpson: 2003, 1817

Sanders: 2053, 1883

Yards per game (two best seasons)

Simpson: 143, 130

Sanders: 128, 118

Yards per carry (two best seasons)

Simpson: 6.0, 5.5

Sanders: 6.1, 5.7

If you looked just at each RB's two best seasons, which one did the better job? Sanders was a little better in terms of yards per carry. Simpson got a few more carries per game, and therefore had a few more yards per game.

Oh yeah. You’re gonna do great here. I can tell…🤦‍♂️

• Eyeroll 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yikes...

And yet so many people in this thread trying to defend the guy.  

Believe it or not, when talking about NFL players some folks care only about their performance on the field.

Based on your language I can recognize that this may be scary to you, but I am confident that you can be brave and come to understand in time if you truly try.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dancing Fool said:

Believe it or not, when talking about NFL players some folks care only about their performance on the field.

Based on your language I can recognize that this may be scary to you, but I am confident that you can be brave and come to understand in time if you truly try.

Believe me I know that's the case.  And I'm not one of those people that expect pro athletes to be choir boys, I know they live much different lifestyles than us peons and with that there's gonna come some trouble.  I also did my fair share of dumb s*** when I was in my 20's so I'm not even a very judgmental person when it comes to most stuff.  I was not one of those people attacking Araiza when that story broke before all the details came out etc..

But where I draw the line is I'm not going to celebrate or turn a blind eye to a Sociopath who murdered two innocent people because I am a football fanatic.  So thanks for the snarky reply but you still sound like a dumbass to me. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Believe me I know that's the case.  And I'm not one of those people that expect pro athletes to be choir boys, I know they live much different lifestyles than us peons and with that there's gonna come some trouble.  I also did my fair share of dumb s*** when I was in my 20's so I'm not even a very judgmental person when it comes to most stuff.  I was not one of those people attacking Araiza when that story broke before all the details came out etc..

But where I draw the line is I'm not going to celebrate or turn a blind eye to a Sociopath who murdered two innocent people because I am a football fanatic.  So thanks for the snarky reply but you still sound like a dumbass to me. 

There is quite a bit of dumbassery out there, recently a prominent person said Adolph Hitler should be praised for the good things he did…, yeah pretty remarkable that some folk agree with such a statement…, the times we live in…, 

• Agree 1