Who is the best #14 in Bills history?

324 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the real #14?

• Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Stefon Diggs
    • Frank Reich
    • Sammy Flat Earther

On 4/9/2024 at 2:32 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Best doesn't necessarily mean who produced most.  It could.

But just overall if you take everything into a player from production to leadership, tenure, great moments, to just likeable.....

#1 to me is Frank Reich.  He was here the longest and was Kelly's right hand man.  Lead the greatest comeback in NFL playoff history.  

Left on good terms.

"Best" implies how good of a player they were, so in that regard, it's Diggs by a landslide.

If we're just going off of who I liked the most, it's Fitzpatrick. 

Edited by BigDingus

15 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

"Best" implies how good of a player they were, so in that regard, it's Diggs by a landslide.

Best is always subjective.  

I think Jim Kelly was the best player in the Bills Super Bowl run. 

However, if you're just looking at how good of a player they were...it was Bruce Smith.  He is one of two Bills players that are legendarily good as in one of the greatest ever at their position.  That's not Jim Kelly.

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Another thing I think people forget with Reich is how much of a positive impact he had on Kelly.  Frank might not have had the same athletic ability Jim had but he was smart and would help go over things with him on the sidelines. Kelly has said many times having Frank out there was like having an extra coach for him on the sidelines.  

Correct, as opposite as they were Frank proved indispensable to Kellys success!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:52 PM, mushypeaches said:

I'll always associate 14 with Frank Reich - having sat in the stands that amazing day in January 1993

Same here, I was one of the 1.3 million people from Buffalo who were in the stadium that day, and I still have the banner I hung in the tunnel.

20220105_092031_320x240.png

Pretty easy when it comes to what they did while they were on the field ! Diggs is the only WR in Bills history to record 4 1000 yd seasons in a row i'd say that's a winner .

But Fitz is 1 of my favorite players of all time in a Bills uni & Frank has the biggest come back all time in the play offs so there's that . 

The Bills have had some really great playing number 14's !! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 9:09 AM, BigDingus said:

I'd divide "best" into two categories. There's best in the regular season. Separately, there's best in the postseason.

If you look at regular season accomplishments, Diggs is ahead of Reich by a lot. Not even close.

But then you look at postseason accomplishments. In the recent playoff game against the Chiefs, Allen averaged 2.6 yards per attempt when targeting Diggs. (3 receptions on 8 targets, for 21 yards.) Compare that to Reich, who in the playoffs achieved the greatest comeback in NFL history. And then played well in the following week's postseason game. Reich's postseason play absolutely destroys that of Diggs.

If you value regular season play over the postseason, then sure, go ahead and vote for Diggs. Nothing wrong with that. But Diggs didn't show up in any of our postseason losses. I respect your position, but there's a very strong argument to be made for Reich as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It took a minute to sink in but at first i thought how can you choose which player would be a favorite because all of them did things while in the Bills uni to cement their status as a Bills family member & a life long part of the Bills Mafia .

But then i started to think which one portrays the Bills the best & i would have to say my choices would go 

Fitz

Frank

Diggs 

FItz is the crazy brother in law that every body loves to hang out with, always good for a laugh & you never know what he will do for a laugh & would sit and drink a beer with any one at a tail gate party coming into the stadium .

Then Frank has cemented his Bills/NFL legacy in many ways the guy that always had Jimbo's back and didn't mind being that guy, helped the team be relevant & will be a part of the history of all time greatest games in Bills history .

Diggs gave it his all for the most part when on the field but was kind of the family member that even though contributed in the stat books more than any other you were never really positive that he was all about the family & i have personally heard from some much closer than i to the team he wasn't that guy in and around the team .

So if there is a 1, 2, 3, order that would be mine ...

This poll should overwhelmingly be Diggs.

Nostalgia for Reich or Fitzpatrick is fine, but they were never elite. If this poll was conducted 5-10 years from now, it'd be 90% or more in favor of Diggs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Was reading an article today and came across this quote:

XXX  is known for having a boisterous personality at times, and his past teams have largely accepted it when he has been a successful face of their franchise. But historically, as team success starts to wear off, so does teams’ patience for some of XXX ’s idiosyncrasies.

This was actually about Jimmy Butler of the Heat, but could easily substitute Diggs name here and tell the same story.

Having said that would still vote for Diggs being best #14, but not heartbroken that he's gone.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

On 4/10/2024 at 7:17 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I was in medical school watching the game on TV. Came so close to turning it off and going for a walk. I understand the love for the comeback game.

Don't understand the love for Reich. Heck more love should go to the refs for not seeing Beebe step out of bounds or Talley commit pass interference in OT. 

Don't worry, the Music City Forward Pass wiped that slate clean.

• Agree 1