DeShawn Williams (DT) Expected To Sign With Bills

Just now, The Wiz said:

Well it wasn't me 3 days ago, I only posted that today that he was signed and again, not sure why a player signing (I'm assuming 1 year vet minimum) is hardly earth shattering news in the NFL.  Did you know that Justin Scheffer was cut from the Falcons?  Or that Rasheem Blackshear resigned with the Panthers?

I sure as hell didn't until I just looked up the transactions for today.

And again, I don't see why it's a bad thing to add depth at a position of need prior to the draft.

I didn’t know about those players because I don’t follow those teams. But here I am on a Bills message board for hours a day arguing and conversing with people. I also have a Bills app that updates and notifies me when any move is made and official. It doesn’t have to be earth shattering news. I never said it was. I was simply arguing the fact that you, or whoever the hell said it was a done deal when in fact it was not. It was not until a few hours after you or whoever else said it. For the facts of the argument, at the time, it was not confirmed. Now that is a whole different argument. And of course I look foolish. But if we had assumed he was signed and then all the sudden he wasn’t, it’s a different story. And for the record I never denied that he would be signed, or doubted it. I would rather just wait until the facts are out there. And I wouldn’t have spent nearly as much time trying to rile you up or prove you wrong like you are doing here. as it turns out, you’re right. He signed. Yay for you. 

and my argument about a depth position of need has been argued over and over. I’m not getting into it again. Yes we needed depth at DT, but I don’t agree with the move. I’ll leave it at that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Instead we’ve got guys like AJ Klein covering the best TE in the history of the league.

This was a coaching issue, not a roster management issue.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was a coaching issue, not a roster management issue.

It’s both. But it was a shame we even had him on the roster to begin with. But I’ll say this, at the time of need it was fine to pick him up off the street. After all he knew the defense and familiar with the team. What the problem is, is that he was even thought of to start after being off all season instead of someone like Williams who was always better suited to cover Kelce. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

The point was if the Bills haven’t announced it it’s not official. To say it like it was happening might have been correct but just like Von saying he’s recruiting players like Hopkins and OBJ and none of it Happened. So just wait until the team official announces it before we assume anything. 

Pretty sure I’ve expressed how much I don’t want to talk with you. Like ever. No need to reply to me. Enjoy your life. 

Why do you get so defensive about any criticism of your strategy?  Im not the only one who has pointed out its impossibility and then you get upset.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I didn’t know about those players because I don’t follow those teams. But here I am on a Bills message board for hours a day arguing and conversing with people. I also have a Bills app that updates and notifies me when any move is made and official. It doesn’t have to be earth shattering news. I never said it was. I was simply arguing the fact that you, or whoever the hell said it was a done deal when in fact it was not. It was not until a few hours after you or whoever else said it. For the facts of the argument, at the time, it was not confirmed. Now that is a whole different argument. And of course I look foolish. But if we had assumed he was signed and then all the sudden he wasn’t, it’s a different story. And for the record I never denied that he would be signed, or doubted it. I would rather just wait until the facts are out there. And I wouldn’t have spent nearly as much time trying to rile you up or prove you wrong like you are doing here. as it turns out, you’re right. He signed. Yay for you. 

and my argument about a depth position of need has been argued over and over. I’m not getting into it again. Yes we needed depth at DT, but I don’t agree with the move. I’ll leave it at that. 

I don't follow those teams either.  I also don't follow the Ravens or Tennessee but know that they signed Henry and Ridley, respectively.  Why? because they were big money signings that were reported by the media.  This signing is a depth signing and doesn't move the needle one bit for me and apparently drops it lower for you but it does fill a position of need.  In terms of cost, it wasn't even newsworthy.  If you think that proving you wrong was my intention just to say I" told you so" then you completely missed the point.

I'm not riled, I'm not trying to prove you wrong.  I just have no history to go on with why you think he is a bad signing but for some reason, to you, it's a bad signing and the only thing I have to go on from what you have said in this thread is his age.  Would it have been better to sign a younger player that produced less than him?

Like you said, I'm on a Bills message board for hours a day.  I'm fine with arguing/conversing if you want but I'm just trying to figure out why you dislike it.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I don't follow those teams either.  I also don't follow the Ravens or Tennessee but know that they signed Henry and Ridley, respectively.  Why? because they were big money signings that were reported by the media.  This signing is a depth signing and doesn't move the needle one bit for me and apparently drops it lower for you but it does fill a position of need.  In terms of cost, it wasn't even newsworthy.  If you think that proving you wrong was my intention just to say I" told you so" then you completely missed the point.

I'm not riled, I'm not trying to prove you wrong.  I just have no history to go on with why you think he is a bad signing but for some reason, to you, it's a bad signing and the only thing I have to go on from what you have said in this thread is his age.  Would it have been better to sign a younger player that produced less than him?

Like you said, I'm on a Bills message board for hours a day.  I'm fine with arguing/conversing if you want but I'm just trying to figure out why you dislike it.

I’m against almost any 30+ year old vet making vet minimum which is about twice as much as a rookie UDFA minimum. I’d rather save what little money we have and employ no name rookies and give them a chance to prove themselves. If it’s not a big deal and this is only the 5th or 6th DT anyway then it shouldn’t matter. The amount he’ll be on the field is almost non existent anyway. I’m going to apologize if you haven’t heard my argument before, I was under the impression that many were aware of it. Considering I’ve been in multiple arguments with multiple posters here over the past few weeks regarding this very same thing. 

20 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not where the “Beane loves Panthers” stuff originated.

DeShawn Williams isn’t a career Panther, or McBean Era Panther, or draft pick of Dan Morgan… he’s a journeyman that’s more recognizable for his 3 stints with Denver than anything to do with North or South Carolina, let alone the Carolina Panthers. 

No doubt Beane leveraged his relationship with Morgan to get some inside knowledge on Williams, as he should.  

Edited by HurlyBurly51

21 hours ago, mrags said:

And just when we thought we were shedding some of the aged players in this team. Going for a youth movement. Nope. Not this staff. 

Yeah, it's really important that your third teamers and bubble guys on one-year contracts are young. Well, not really.

Nothing there to get really angry about. Or thrilled either. We'll see, but it looks OK.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You need to have guys fill out the roster and (hopefully) create competition/motivation as much as possible. With the team up against the cap, this is all they can do. ... It blows my mind that some complain about Beane. Some bungholes don't seem to realize the $$ situation. Pissed that we didn't acquire Justin Jefferson and Aaron Darnold this offseason.  ... Get a grip

18 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Jesus Christ. He played for the Panthers for 1 season… 2023. We’re 7 years removed from McBeane being there… are some of you that clueless? 

Apparently so.

The Panthers have gone through what, 4 different HC (2 different hires) and 3 different GMs since Beane was there?   Yeah we sent them Dan Morgan 3 years ago, and I'm sure he and Beane talk, but I'm also sure Beane talks to lots of guys around the league.

This guy entered the league in 2016 and kicked around until he got a chance to start for Denver 4 years ago.  He's seen significant defensive snaps since then, 41-52%, and has been available - missed 2, 0, and 1 game his last 3 seasons.  Looks like he may have some positional flexibility, since he played RDE (in a 3-4, maps to DT for us) last 2 seasons but has previously played NT.  Had 4.5 sacks, 8 QB hits and 4 TFL in Denver in 2022.

He's basically their shot to upgrade on Tim Settle as DT depth.

No clue why people are dissing this signing off, unless it's because as you say....

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:40 AM, mrags said:

And just when we thought we were shedding some of the aged players in this team. Going for a youth movement. Nope. Not this staff. 

If only there was some kind of way to get some of these young players out of college, and add them to our team…

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m against almost any 30+ year old vet making vet minimum which is about twice as much as a rookie UDFA minimum. I’d rather save what little money we have and employ no name rookies and give them a chance to prove themselves. If it’s not a big deal and this is only the 5th or 6th DT anyway then it shouldn’t matter. The amount he’ll be on the field is almost non existent anyway. I’m going to apologize if you haven’t heard my argument before, I was under the impression that many were aware of it. Considering I’ve been in multiple arguments with multiple posters here over the past few weeks regarding this very same thing. 

I disagree.  Each position needs a standard or floor of play.  For a rookie who has never played in the NFL you have a wide variance of outcomes.  In Johnson and Williams case you have an expectation of how they will perform in Buffalos scheme. Im sure there is optimism that this system will allow them to produce more than they have showed in the past.  Both coming from 2 gap schemes and playing out to the offensive tackle.  If the draft comes around and they take a DT the level of play will have to match or surpass that level.  

Drafting to replace holes was what the former regimes did in Buffalo.  The roster never improves that way because every player wont work out.   

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I disagree.  Each position needs a standard or floor of play.  For a rookie who has never played in the NFL you have a wide variance of outcomes.  In Johnson and Williams case you have an expectation of how they will perform in Buffalos scheme. Im sure there is optimism that this system will allow them to produce more than they have showed in the past.  Both coming from 2 gap schemes and playing out to the offensive tackle.  If the draft comes around and they take a DT the level of play will have to match or surpass that level.  

Drafting to replace holes was what the former regimes did in Buffalo.  The roster never improves that way because every player wont work out.   

I never said specifically drafting to fill a hole. But that’s essentially what they are doing picking up these older gets that are no longer, or never were relevant. I’d pick up an undrafted free agent before I find a 30 year old washed up player. Who, many other have pointed out that will likely be a 5th or 6th DT on the team anyway. If it means so little, then a guy with no time on the job will do just as well. End of the day it won’t matter. 

im being overly exaggerative when i say i want them all gone. I know it’s not possible and honestly, not all are bad pickups. But in general I’m against the idea. 

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Exactly our 2nd string lb was out.. most teams 3rd string lbs are not going to guard Kelce as 95% of 1st stringers can’t 

I haven’t read through all 7 pages but read enough that most of you don’t follow the Bills enough. Has anyone stopped and looked at the fact that every year that Beane has been here, he has filled every position with “starters” before the draft so he isn’t pigeon holed into having to draft a certain position at any point of the draft? Yes, some of the depth is older right now but the team always seems to create competition and the depth sorts itself out.

• Agree 2