What are your thoughts on the Steelers QB situation?

Fields needs work like Baker Mayfield did with Alex Van Pelt - he has to be broken down and rebuilt and it takes time and commitment.

Fields has the physical attributes to be a good QB.

No one is going to pay him on 5th year contract rate so he will need to sign a multiyear contract in order for a team to gets its money worth on investment in money and roster space.

Alternately he can be a package QB but can be used a few times a game plus do some running.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Fields will be a FA after this season unless the Steelers extend him or pick up his $25M option (which is incredibly unlikely).

...because that's the nugget of oversight that casts the otherwise ironclad validity of my post in doubt? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

the 17 game season means no QB can start every game. If they platoon these guys properly they could have two healthy QBs for the post season and use them in ways to keep opponents off balance

• Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

My wife is a bears fan. I’m not sure how fields got his halo but people seem to think he’s good. I never saw it. The dude is a career backup at best imo. 

Some of you may remember my quest to watch every game this year. I didn’t watch every game, Carolina was particularly difficult to watch, but I did watch every bears game because of Fields. 

The fact there was a “debate” of whether or not to keep him was absurd. He has some of the worst field awareness in the NFL. He fumbled like Peterman threw picks (ironically Peterman was one of his backups) Everyone like to point out that he’s a great athlete, and he is. Probably one of the better athletes at the position. But Josh, Mahomes, Burrow hell even Tua are good enough athletes to play QB. At the end of the day, you have to be able to move the ball through the air and Fields isn’t even close to effective consistently to be a good QB. It’s why he was traded for a conditional 6th. The league sees it too

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2024 at 7:17 PM, Beck Water said:

Having trouble wrapping my head around the word definitely in that sentence.

You should try being an octopus. Much easier to wrap your head around things when you don't have a skull.

Posted (edited)

I think it's a joke. The Steelers are acting like a desperate team.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:34 PM, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I like it. Ill add to it:

Russ carries them to a postseason birth,  in a meaningless week 18 game fields starts and looks incredible.

And even though Russ started all season Tomlin makes the unthinkable decision of starting fields over russ in the wild card round.

The decision backfires terribly, as the steelers lose in the first round with fields having an underwhelming performance.  

Pittsburgh fans are befuddled . Determined to see this through they bring russ and Tomlin back for one more year and ship fields off to the NFC where he undoubtedly looks like a hall of famer.

What team would ever do that ????

Edited by CSBill

On 3/27/2024 at 6:19 PM, SoTier said:

I haven't watched a lot of Fields, but I think he has a skill set reminiscent of Russ in his prime, so they can both work in the same type of offense.  My guess is that Russ will start the season with Fields as his backup.  If he can't recreate the form he had in Seattle, then Fields will get his shot.   Even if Russ excels and Fields doesn't see much playing time, I think that the Stillers may re-sign Fields for the future if he looks good in practice.

I don't see any similarity between Fields and early Russell Wilson.  Yes, Wilson was great at the broken play but he beat out Matt Flynn (who was a big free agent signing by the Seahawks) because Wilson had surprisingly great ball placement and anticipation. -- certainly not anything anyone has said is a strength of Justin Field. 

Regarding the Steelers, Pickett, Trubisky, and Rudolph is such a low bar to set, I have a hard time seeing that Wilson and Fields will not be better.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Steelers have done enough at the QB position to get to 9-8 again. 

They win or lose based on their defense. When they give up more than 20 they lose and I don't see that being any different with Wilson or Fields. So the question for the Steelers is have they reinforced the D enough to get to 9-8 again? I think the answer is probably yes. But the defensive front is still an issue and in that division I wonder if the Ravens and Browns will just be able to run it down their throats.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, Logic said:

Nothing says "offensive competence" quite like combining Russell Wilson with Arthur Smith. 

Add in a dash of angry George Pickens and you have the recipe for some knee-slapping entertainment. Not from the product on the field, mind you, but from the absolutely hilarious level of ineptitude on display.

Personally, I'm just happy the Steelers seem pathologically unwilling to try to get a true franchise QB to go with their elite defense. They took a swing with Pickett, it didn't work, and now they're like "give us the ghost of Russell Wilson please". You love to see it.

Wilson is actually a pretty good fit for an Arthur Smith offense. What he was NOT was a fit for a Sean Payton offense. 

2 low risk moves at QB for a team that was in the playoffs a year ago with some terrible combination of Pickett and Rudolph with the worst offensive coordinator in football.  Lots of draft capital spent on offensive line to improve one of the weaker units. 

I don't think they're all of a sudden super bowl contenders, but they're probably better than they were a year ago. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I hadn't really thought about it.  If I'm Mike Tomlin, I start Fields.  I think Wilson is done as a starter who can win games consistently.

I think they'll let them practice a little first before they make that determination... 

Personally, Fields still looks like a rookie to me.  Wow plays with the arm and legs, bad sacks and turnovers, and inconsistency across the board. The Bears had a poor offense every year he was there.  He has missed time all 3 NFL seasons, and the Steelers have no future commitment.  

I also think Tomlin wanted Wilson because he was tired of having young QBs the last 2 seasons.  New experienced offensive coordinator, new experienced QB, and their top 2 picks were offensive linemen.