DE Austin Johnson visiting the Bills today - UPDATE: DaQuan Jones says we got him

3 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Don’t you think he would be more of a 3T? 

Based off Joe Marino’s breakdown, I think he plays majority of the time at 1 tech.  He has the flexibility to play 3 tech but his play style lends well to 1 tech.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

This guy will eat a good chunk of snaps.  Still need at least one more rotational DT but Beane is filling out the roster.  Is he better or worse than Phillips, Settle or Ford?  We will see. 

He had more tackles than all of them combined so…

21 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Johnson is a 1T. Sweat is a 1T. I don't see us going with a 3rd 1T as high as 60 when we have nothing behind Oliver at 3T.

I did not know Johnson was going to play that position so your point is valid if so :)

3T can be had anywhere in the draft or cheap . 1 techs as good as Sweat do not grow on Trees.

Think Sam Adams , Ted Washington. Could be a game wrecker. Johnson is a good pickup, agreed.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO we could use him as a rotational 1T or 3T.  For run defense you could have him and Daquan out there.  He’s played DE in a 3-4 too

I’m not sure Sean is open to it, but I’d like to see us more unpredictable on D

if Sweat makes it to 60, I’m not passing on him just because we signed a player to a 1 year deal.  Take him.

then you could even mix in some 3-4 looks

Milano, Bernard inside.  

Dorian Williams,

Taron / Von / Rousseau outside  depending on what look you want to give

“I’m not sure Sean is open to it, but I’d like to see us more unpredictable on D”

… The single biggest reason we can’t get over the hump, and someone like Andy Reid …

I’ve been saying it for years … The Chiefs are married to winning Super Bowls, and the Bills are married to a “process” that they believe will get them there. Reaction and blind faith vs proaction and doing what’s necessary to beat who’s in front of you when it matters most 

… but perhaps maybe this is where Bobby Babich comes into play. McD still calls the plays for this year, but Babich has “fresh creative input” in game planning 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by drummernut74
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Man a shrink would have a field day with your use of exaggeration(like anyone remotely suggested All Pro was a likelihood) and the brand of dissonance that it takes to equate the lack of interest in a player making them a better target.   Well done. :lol:   

Hope you two are old time Buds.
 because that is a fine retort from you. A bit over the top and well done.

He might be a very solid signing as depth.

I still want Sweat. period

I don't know much about the player, but I'm glad they are waiting until the end of the second wave of FA to sign depth DL players like this, instead of their previous MO of agreeing to terms with players like Tim Settle on day one of the legal tampering period. This year Beane still made that mistake with a couple players that were on our roster in 2023, but finally stopped himself from making that mistake with other teams' UFAs. Baby steps.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know much about the player, but I'm glad they are waiting until the end of the second wave of FA to sign depth DL players like this, instead of their previous MO of agreeing to terms with players like Tim Settle on day one of the legal tampering period. This year Beane still made that mistake with a couple players that were on our roster in 2023, but finally stopped himself from making that mistake with other teams' UFAs. Baby steps.

The team did sign Daquon fairly early in free agency in 2022 so it is a crap shoot. But the Bills cap situation was different in 2022 so they could have splurged early on more so than these past two seasons. 

I think with the current cap situation both now and going forward it’s always going to be more prudent to wait for that initial wave to be over and then sort through the second and third tier guys for good fits and good value. 

I loved the Poona Ford signing last off season and that didn’t really work out but it was low risk high reward so it didn’t massively impact the Bills having a subpar 5th DT.

Overall I think if the Bills are going to run out a deep defensive line rotation and have Josh Allen on a big contract the Bills are going to have to find value free agents and hit on draft picks in order to keep that up. Johnson seems like a solid pickup so hopefully it works out well as a one year rental 

Edited by billsfan89

4 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Was the Austin Johnson pursuit as suspenseful as the Bryant Johnson pursuit circa 2008? (My former BBMB friends will remember that one well).  

It was about as fever pitched as the Sam Aiken preseason push for a larger role. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:48 PM, BarleyNY said:

Ha! I’m still pissed off about Ngata. 

Ha! I loved Ngata too! And Gronk.

FU Tourell troup!!!

brian bulaga.  Iupati.  So many I remember that I wanted and ended up all pro 

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, peterpan said:

FU Tourell troup!!!

This… I remember wanting Justin Houston for 3 straight rounds. But the Bills knew better

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, peterpan said:

FU Tourell troup!!!

i remember ngata so clearly, altho there was a 3 tech from florida state or something who i thought would be a better "scheme fit".  ngata of course, was a powerhouse for like 12 years in the nfl, and even on the baltimore d was a standout for his intensity and strength.

Donte whitner was a slightly above replacement ss for a solid nfl career, and based on how rook contracts worked back then, we paid him for his first 4 or 5 years like he was a multiple pro bowler.  we had the absolute worst FO for a while there.

20 hours ago, aristocrat said:

very large human being. i am liking the look of our interior d line. praying that von has a great off season and gets back to form.  

I think with the contract, and just... his performance last year and coming off the rehab etc.  I just think he doesn't want it to end that way?  

18 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

“I’m not sure Sean is open to it, but I’d like to see us more unpredictable on D”

… The single biggest reason we can’t get over the hump, and someone like Andy Reid …

I’ve been saying it for years … The Chiefs are married to winning Super Bowls, and the Bills are married to a “process” that they believe will get them there. Reaction and blind faith vs proaction and doing what’s necessary to beat who’s in front of you when it matters most 

… but perhaps maybe this is where Bobby Babich comes into play. McD still calls the plays for this year, but Babich has “fresh creative input” in game planning 🤷🏻‍♂️

Great post

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, colin said:

i remember ngata so clearly, altho there was a 3 tech from florida state or something who i thought would be a better "scheme fit".  ngata of course, was a powerhouse for like 12 years in the nfl, and even on the baltimore d was a standout for his intensity and strength.

Donte whitner was a slightly above replacement ss for a solid nfl career, and based on how rook contracts worked back then, we paid him for his first 4 or 5 years like he was a multiple pro bowler.  we had the absolute worst FO for a while there.

I think i was more shocked that they didnt look at cutler.  He just looked like a better prospect than Losman.  

• Like (+1) 1