Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he’s better than both players

Does it make sense to acquire the Niners franchise playoff sack leader?  How about a player that actually sacked Mahomes? We can’t even pressure the guy

How about a 4 time team captain and 4 time Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee? 

Good Lord people. WAKE UP.

When a player of this calibur has interest in playing for your team, you try to sign him

Valid 

57 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'm not sure we go after Armstead, IMO Texans will land him.  Because of $ and age/injury, I think Beane stays put.

As a possibility, I'm wondering if Beane strategy is to go DL round 1 (which will initially trigger some anger by fans) and trade up in Round 2 for a WR.

DL: Chop Robinson, Darius Robinson (who profiles similar to Armstead, inside/out versatilty) are two guys to watch

WR: such a deep draft, Beane might not see much difference between WR5-6 (which is likely our Rd1 option, if we stay put) & WR8-12 (if we move up in Rd 2)

I don't see us using all eleven picks, so Rd 2 is ripe for moving up.  Or we stay put and see WR12ish at our pick.

Sign a guy like Samuel or MVS, who could be a WR2b (complimentary weapon), add a Rd2 Wr.  Diggs/Kincaid/FA/Rd 2 Wr/Shakir/Knox....would be a nice collective group. 

DL: Oliver, Jones, Groot, Von, AJE, 1 more FA DT, Rd1 DE, Late round DT 

I don't think (or at least hope) the strategy isn't for the draft isn't decided yet. Far to long to count on either a WR or DT to be pegged for pick 28 and not fill either position if possible in the next couple of weeks. If that is the strategy I can see Beane doing that for 1rd WR due to the high number of Quality available this year, but not for DL. . Most experts I have read have it as a down year for DL with only a few having a 1st round grade. That is why I a warming to Armsted as an idea of adding. Beane has stated FA is to fill holes in order to go BPA in the draft and I'll assume that it still his operating strategy.  Still plenty of time to add a starting Safety, 2 DL and WR 2/3 and go into the draft with no glaring holes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Armstead would be quite an add. He drew double teams 64% of the run plays and helped keep their linebackers untouched. He also bats down a lot of passes and pushes guards backwards into the QB. I say take him if the chance is there.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He has a large market and is going to be paid to Start at 3T. We have Oliver there. It doesn't make much sense for us.

I'd also say that 9.5 times out of 10 when we're "linked" to someone - it's exaggerated or just flat out fiction, leaked by agents. 

Like posters who say they never saw a player released make a play.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

got to think outside the box

Arik & Rousseau at DE against the run.

Arik & Ed inside against the pass.

He is fully capable of playing anywhere on our DL and has done so with the Niners

It would be nice to have if we were a team with cap space, but we aren't. Taylor Rapp is our only starting safety and I don't even like him that much. Why are we spending money on rotational players when there is a gaping hole at S?

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

It would be nice to have if we were a team with cap space, but we aren't. Taylor Rapp is our only starting safety and I don't even like him that much. Why are we spending money on rotational players when there is a gaping hole at S?

This is what people said for 6 months about MLB last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did you know that the name Wendy was created for the book Peter Pan? Until then, there was no such girls name. I found that fascinating. 

I did not know that, though to be fair what i dont know would fill a book

11 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Cuz all Dlman are rotational players and are elite. There are 15+ safeties still without deals that were starters last year.  If Arik was signed you'd go WR 28 and safety at 60 who would likely start.  If your patient, you'll probably as get a good safety at a bargain price.  I wouldn't have signed Rapp so early

Just now, 26TrapDraw said:

So would it be illegal for us to give Armstead a 1 year for 8 mill guaranteed and have the vet minumum count against the cap this season or is that not how it works?

You would have to pay his base salary at league minimum.  Then give him a signing bonus for the rest.  But would have to add void years to spread out that cap hit.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 17islongenough said:

You would have to pay his base salary at league minimum.  Then give him a signing bonus for the rest.  But would have to add void years to spread out that cap hit.   

Get that shyt done Beane. That's quality starter/depth on the D line which is obviously a need.

2 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

So would it be illegal for us to give Armstead a 1 year for 8 mill guaranteed and have the vet minumum count against the cap this season or is that not how it works?

When they signed Floyd last year …abut $5m of his $7m got moved out to “void years”… which they are now paying this year …

17 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

His wife is from Hornell and her parents still live there. She is also a UB grad.

Might be interested in raising their two daughters close to family 

I graduated with her father; they're a very nice family.  That would be nice if they sign him to a team friendly deal.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

We have a handful of holes.  There are several solid safeties still available. Sometimes you have to wait a bit to get one for the right price.  That’s my guess.

hollins has a skill set unlike most available FA WRs.  A skill set that this FO/coaching staff covets.  We have gaping holes at WR too.  That’s why we are spending money on Rotational players when there is a gaping hole at S. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We have a handful of holes.  There are several solid safeties still available. Sometimes you have to wait a bit to get one for the right price.  That’s my guess.

hollins has a skill set unlike most available FA WRs.  A skill set that this FO/coaching staff covets.  We have gaping holes at WR too.  That’s why we are spending money on Rotational players when there is a gaping hole at S. 

I expect WR to be filled in the draft. I'd just rather have Justin Simmons than Armstead. That's just my opinion, you can feel free to disagree with me though. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I expect WR to be filled in the draft. I'd just rather have Justin Simmons than Armstead. That's just my opinion, you can feel free to disagree with me though. 

I think Simmons has the most int on mahomes in the league. But could be wrong.

I don’t hate the idea of adding Armstead he’s a good player older but not too old to where you can’t see him having one more good season left. Don’t think the Bills have the cap to make it work without doing another rob Peter to pay Paul situation. They likely would have to do another void year pushing money out situation similar to Floyd. Not too thrilled about doing that but it’s a win now league and you can’t always be so conservative. The Bills have been bottom 10 in dead cap every year since 2020 and despite the big charges they are taking this year they still only are around 12th highest in dead cap.

So if they can make it work without pushing too much dead cap off into the future why not?

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Cuz all Dlman are rotational players and are elite. There are 15+ safeties still without deals that were starters last year.  If Arik was signed you'd go WR 28 and safety at 60 who would likely start.  If your patient, you'll probably as get a good safety at a bargain price.  I wouldn't have signed Rapp so early

Rapp sits atop the depth chart today. I doubt he maintains this to start the season. I can see an addition by FA and mid round pick. We’ve been spoiled by the previous tandem. The attention to safety will be met with satisfaction imo.

19 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I too would rather go after a younger safety (maybe not Simmons who is 30) to fill that hole on the back end rather than go after Armstead. I think that McD has not proven he can find unheralded safety talent and plug them in for good production.

McD has had the combo of Po and Hyde since 2017. Since McD got here he’s only had one year when he had to plug in for either long term and that was 2022 when Hyde was out for the year. That year they ended up going with Hamlin who was not that great (certainly not bad but played like a decent backup safety). Really the only unheralded guy McD has found at safety has been Po who was signed in 2017, Hyde was a fairly big FA acquisition.

At corner McD has proven he can find players all over the draft and free agency. Dane Jackson and Benford were 6th rounders who played well, Levi Wallace looked competent as a UDFA and T Johnson one of the better slot corners in the league was a 4th round pick. 

So while I think McD is great in the secondary overall I still don’t like the idea of having to spend a higher draft choice to play next to Rapp or going with Rapp and a mid round pick there. I much rather would find a younger safety in the 26-27 age range that is more proven to anchor one spot for the next few years and then draft a safety in the mid rounds to compete with Rapp.