Bills sign Mack Hollins

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I haven’t seen the money but I like him if he’s around 2M-  good special teamer, has size.  Can make plays downfield.  He’s not great but he’s good competition for WR5-6 

I think it's likely a small guaranteed number.  If he can't beat out shorter- then you cut Hollins, and the guarantee is essentially tacked onto shorters cap hit.  You lose probably less than 1M in cap space, and shorter has to stay healthy and outplay Hollins.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Now you are being completely ridiculous. Moves like this make it even more likely we are drafting WR round 1.

Ok. With this HC and his love for his notational DEs I’m not so sure. Hope I’m wrong. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong this time. And I’ll be praising them that they FINALLY drafted an early WR for Allen. Until then I’ll have my doubts. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

As a WR 5 this guy should be able to contribute. He may be wierd but hes also football smart. Quarterback friendly. Good hands. A very good blocker. Kroger will love him. He’s better than Sherfield or Kumerow. Like Morrow a good signing.

I expect the Bills to draft 2 WRs. 

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think it's likely a small guaranteed number.  If he can't beat out shorter- then you cut him, and the guarantee is essentially tacked onto shorters cap hit.  

He will for sure beat out Shorter imo.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

You sound like a chipotle scarfing buffoon!  Chic Fil A is some fine quality dining

Not a fan of the tex mex, but I am a sucker for Rachel's Mediterranean Grill... It is so overpriced but it is so amazing.

Just now, starrymessenger said:

As a WR 4 or 5 this guy should be able to contribute. He may be wierd but hes also football smart. Quarterback friendly. Good hands. A very good blocker. Kroger will love him. He’s better than Sherfield or Kumerow. Like Morrow a good signing.

I expect the Bills to draft 2 WRs.

He will for sure beat out Shorter imo.

Then you upgraded at ST gunner and WR5/6.  And when factoring in Hollins number, you then subtract shorters 875K because he essentially replaces him in the calculation for the 53.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

First, its not a base of $3 million.

Second, we don’t sign more castoffs than anyone else.  ESPN literally had a the graph of 2022 where we had the most draft picks playing than any other team.  Literally #1.

McDermott must really be a good coach if he take take a team to the playoffs if we have the most castoff filled roster.

I never said it was a $3 mil base in any post, it can be up to this amount per ESPN and Yahoo sports.  Still wasted money on a player that should not have been signed.  They commit money in a contract signing versus drafting someone for the same purpose and if a rookie can't make the team there is no lost revenue.  Instead of being stuck with someone that will be on the bench.

Let me rephrase cast off players to just players no one would sign for the money that Buffalo paid them to come here and play,  these money pit contracts have been a habit of this ownership and GM for 7 years. 

Oh wait a minute,  I hear that name coming again!!!   Von who?????

Enough said.....

Edited by Toyo321

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

From what I heard on the radio the reason they didn't want to rework Josh's contract more is the hope is go get to a point where they don't have to restructure a lot of contracts for cap reasons. 

Thanks, Jrb, I hope it works out that way.  I can still remember all of the excitement before we landed Mario Williams.  It’s fun to be in the fight to land a big fish that can change the season (please no one bring up Von “DV” Miller).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Toyo321 said:

I never said it was a $3 mil base in any post, it can be up to this amount per ESPN and Yahoo sports.  Still wasted money on a player that should not have been signed.  They commit money in a contract signing versus drafting someone for the same purpose and if rookie can't make the team there is no lost revenue.  Instead of being stuck with someone that will be on the bench.

Let me rephrase cast off players to just players no one would sign for the money that Buffalo paid them to come here and play,  these money pit contracts have been all habit of this ownership and GM for 7 years. 

Oh wait a minute,  I hear that name coming again!!!   Von who?????

Enough said.....

Lets play the cap math game...

Say its a 1.5M cap hit, incentives to bring it up to 3 (playing time, stats, gameday actives).  Signing him pushes a rookie deal off the 53 man calculation.  A rookie deal is ~800K.  So now you have added 700K in cap hit to the balance sheet.  It barely registers.  

Factor in say... 500k is guaranteed.  If they cut him, they add 500K to the balance sheet, when they bring back the ~800K rookie contract at the bottom of the roster.  

16 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

6th best is simply your guess...it doesn't mean 5 will go before we pick, and it certainly doesn't mean the ones drated ahead will be better picks. And also...in a deep class, the sixth player drafted at his position might be a really good player.

You're being a Debbie Downer when there are plenty of reasons to be positive and excited.

The last time there was a wr class this deep the 6th wr taken was Brandon Aiyuk and the 7th was Tee Higgins.

But the "5th" best wr was taken where the Bills would have picked, and that was Justin Jefferson. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Thanks, Jrb, I hope it works out that way.  I can still remember all of the excitement before we landed Mario Williams.  It’s fun to be in the fight to land a big fish that can change the season (please no one bring up Von “DV” Miller).

They kept the band together for 2 extra seasons.  There was a double down with von 2 seasons ago.  Then last season they brought back poyer, phillips, lawson, and didn't make moves with players like hyde, neal, and morse.  

All of those things were done essentially with future cap space.  Now we're feeling that cap crunch.  By ripping the bandaid off this year, and generally trying to prevent borrowing on future cap, you can identify your window to potentially swim a bit more into free agency and trades.  The key is to draft well, and get contributors on those rookie deals.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

The last time there was a wr class this deep the 6th wr taken was Brandon Aiyuk and the 7th was Tee Higgins.

But the "5th" best wr was taken where the Bills would have picked, and that was Justin Jefferson. 

That was such a weird draft too.  Everyone expected 3 WRs off the board in the top 10 and it ended up being 0.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

6th best is simply your guess...it doesn't mean 5 will go before we pick, and it certainly doesn't mean the ones drated ahead will be better picks. And also...in a deep class, the sixth player drafted at his position might be a really good player.

You're being a Debbie Downer when there are plenty of reasons to be positive and excited.

And those reasons are?  Right now we are worse off than last year and we hope an answer at WR comes in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Got me curious 2020 draft.   

2020 draft WR taken:

1) pick 11 Henry Ruggs III

2) pick 15 Jerry Juedy

3) pick 17 CeDee Lamb

4) pick 21 Jalen Regor

5) pick 22 Justin Jefferson

6) pick 25 Brandon Aiyuk

7) pick 33 Tee Higgins

8 pick 34 Michael Pitman

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/draft.htm

Some good some bad... though I think it took a while for all of them to play at a consistent level. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a Trent Sherfield level signing. I really hope this isn't the end of our WR free agent shopping.

This has nothing to do with our passing game,  he is a great run blocker.  I hope this is not the end of receiver signings as you mentioned

Las Vegas Raiders WR Mack Hollins is a Swiss-Army-Knife

Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com › nfl › raiders › news › las-vegas-ra...

Oct 25, 2022 — Pro Football Focus has Hollins as the highest graded run-blocker among eligible wide receivers (84.2 grade). With help of Hollins' run blocking ...

I just hope were not going to continue to throw all resources at our defence so Mcdermott can play ground and pound football. Never winning anything that way

17 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This has nothing to do with our passing game,  he is a great run blocker.  I hope this is not the end of receiver signings as you mentioned

Las Vegas Raiders WR Mack Hollins is a Swiss-Army-Knife

Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com › nfl › raiders › news › las-vegas-ra...

Oct 25, 2022 — Pro Football Focus has Hollins as the highest graded run-blocker among eligible wide receivers (84.2 grade). With help of Hollins' run blocking ...

I just hope were not going to continue to throw all resources at our defence so Mcdermott can play ground and pound football. Never winning anything that way

I am to the point I don't give a **** if they can run block or not.  Create separation, get open, catch the damn ball consistently.  THEN we can talk about the damn run blocking.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am to the point I don't give a **** if they can run block or not.  Create separation, get open, catch the damn ball consistently.  THEN we can talk about the damn run blocking.

He is not a great receiver signing,  this is another scrub signing.  

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

He is not a great receiver signing,  this is another scrub signing.  

Fans need to think Sherfield,  they will talk him up but Mcdermott pushed for this because of his run blocking.  

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

You might want to fact check your statements before you post them in the future.

All of the Bills' first round picks started as rookies:

• Tre White - started all 16 games as a rookie
  • Josh Allen - started 11 games as a rookie
  • Tremaine Edmunds - started all 15 games he played  as a rookie
  • Ed Oliver - started 7 games as a rookie
  • Greg Rosseau - started all 17 games as a rookie
  • Kaiir Elam - started 6 games as a rookie
  • Dalton Kincaid  - started 11 games as a rookie

Moreover, these 2nd rounders started as rookies:

• Dion Dawkins - started 11 games as a rookie
  • Cody Ford - started 15 games as a rookie
  • A.J. Epenesa - started 1 game as a rookie
  • O'Cyrus Torrence - started all 17 games as a rookie

Here are the other rookies who have started for the Bills as rookies:

• Spencer Brown - started 10 games as a rookie (3rd rounder)
  • Devin Singletary - started 8 games as a rookie  (3rd rounder)
  • Taron Johnson - started 2 games as a rookie (4th rounder)
  • Matt Milano - started 5 games as a rookie (5th rounder)
  • Christian Benford - started 5 games as a rookie (6th rounder)

Don't confuse him with facts.

23 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

No you give a LOT.

• Thank you (+1) 1